ImageImage

2024 Draft Prospects

Moderators: BigSlam, JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben

JustBuzzin
General Manager
And1: 6,813

Re: 2024 Draft Prospects 

Post#1401 » by JustBuzzin » Thu May 9, 2024 9:35 pm

Bassman wrote:Guys, watching the playoffs and seeing the level of speed, competitiveness, depth and skill on these teams, I’ve come to a serious conclusion:

…WE NEED A LOT MORE OF ALL OF THE ABOVE!

Whomever we pick in this question mark draft better be a hit. Doesn’t have to be a star, but a big swing and miss puts us well behind the recovery plan. So glad Lee is our coach..feel like his acumen for evaluation and development is bound to be sharp. Part of his mission is to identify the biggest potential STUD, and the biggest potential DUD among the top ranked prospects. Let’s all play the game; limit your selections to those players identified as top 10 prospects by the NBA (list is in this thread). My choices as of this date:

> Biggest Potential STUD - Ricacher: As young as he is, he has the length, skill set and shooting touch to be a special player. Is athletic, but needs a better handle to be an elite player. Could fit in very well beside Miller in a Charles Lee scheme.

> Biggest Potential DUD - Alex Sarr: WHAT??? Let me explain. I don’t think Sarr will have a bad career, but for a guy most think will be picked number 1, his offense is pretty limited. Not really big enough to be a center with that thin frame, and not yet skilled enough to play a stretch 4. Does he develop these skills and become a star? Or plays just OK, and joins the list of #1 misses on bigs?
I will keep saying it there is no stud in this draft imo.

These wings for the most part are 3&D type wings. If you looking for a stud then we are probably better off trading that pick for a guy like Brandon Ingram.

I think defense will be a major part in the decision. Lee mentioned defense and this roster currently doesn't have many defenders. I'm thinking Sarr/Castle/Risacher/Holland are guys who could bring defense.
JustBuzzin
General Manager

Post#1402 » by JustBuzzin » Fri May 10, 2024 2:48 am

If we want pure offense I can't lie Rob Dillingham is a crazy talented offensive player.

If we go the pg route then I prefer Dillingham over Topic or Reed.
MugzZo
Sixth Man
And1: 965

Post#1403 » by MugzZo » Fri May 10, 2024 4:25 am

Maybe Lee sees some jaylen brown in Holland, wishful thinking. But he might want a 2 wing system like Boston with Tatum/brown in Miller/Holland.

Sent from my SM-F936U using RealGM mobile app
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,119

Post#1404 » by Liver_Pooty » Fri May 10, 2024 5:15 am

Bassman wrote:Guys, watching the playoffs and seeing the level of speed, competitiveness, depth and skill on these teams, I’ve come to a serious conclusion:

…WE NEED A LOT MORE OF ALL OF THE ABOVE!

Whomever we pick in this question mark draft better be a hit. Doesn’t have to be a star, but a big swing and miss puts us well behind the recovery plan. So glad Lee is our coach..feel like his acumen for evaluation and development is bound to be sharp. Part of his mission is to identify the biggest potential STUD, and the biggest potential DUD among the top ranked prospects. Let’s all play the game; limit your selections to those players identified as top 10 prospects by the NBA (list is in this thread). My choices as of this date:

> Biggest Potential STUD - Ricacher: As young as he is, he has the length, skill set and shooting touch to be a special player. Is athletic, but needs a better handle to be an elite player. Could fit in very well beside Miller in a Charles Lee scheme.

> Biggest Potential DUD - Alex Sarr: WHAT??? Let me explain. I don’t think Sarr will have a bad career, but for a guy most think will be picked number 1, his offense is pretty limited. Not really big enough to be a center with that thin frame, and not yet skilled enough to play a stretch 4. Does he develop these skills and become a star? Or plays just OK, and joins the list of #1 misses on bigs?

I'm with you on Ricacher
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 17,970

Post#1405 » by Diop » Fri May 10, 2024 7:33 am

MugzZo wrote:Maybe Lee sees some jaylen brown in Holland, wishful thinking. But he might want a 2 wing system like Boston with Tatum/brown in Miller/Holland.

Ball, Miller and Miles are all scoring wings really.
GoBobs
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,538

Post#1406 » by GoBobs » Fri May 10, 2024 3:10 pm

EmpireFalls wrote:
Liver_Pooty wrote:
EmpireFalls wrote:He absolutely could average 20 and 10 if a team committed to playing him 35 MPG, that’s not out of the question at all.

The question is if you could field a modern offense or a competitive defense doing so.

To be fair we fielded an okay defense with AL Jefferson as our starting center.

Now you guys got me defending Zach Edey what the hell

I don't think Edey will be bad, I just think he's a bad fit on a LaMelo Ball team.

Think about our best Melo games and the best basketball we've played with him on the team. What are his biggest strengths as a playmaker and offensive centerpiece. It's mostly based around speed, quick decision making, space, lightning fast penetration and passing to athletic cutters and shooters.

Edey is the antithesis of that. LaMelo likes a screen then creates space and makes a very quick read. He is the opposite of the probing PG that allows his big deep position for a slow developing play. We need to play havoc offense not Edey offense.

I love a fast paced offense. I have wanted to play Dantoni ball for years and I think LaMelo would fit perfectly in that scheme. I would love to press all the time on defense. Those things don't work over 82 games though. You just wear yourself out more than the other guys and will struggle to keep everyone healthy.

NBA season is a marathon not a sprint. You need some guys that can eat some innings.
EmpireFalls
Starter
And1: 3,784

Post#1407 » by EmpireFalls » Fri May 10, 2024 3:14 pm

GoBobs wrote:
EmpireFalls wrote:
Liver_Pooty wrote:

I don't think Edey will be bad, I just think he's a bad fit on a LaMelo Ball team.

Think about our best Melo games and the best basketball we've played with him on the team. What are his biggest strengths as a playmaker and offensive centerpiece. It's mostly based around speed, quick decision making, space, lightning fast penetration and passing to athletic cutters and shooters.

Edey is the antithesis of that. LaMelo likes a screen then creates space and makes a very quick read. He is the opposite of the probing PG that allows his big deep position for a slow developing play. We need to play havoc offense not Edey offense.

I love a fast paced offense. I have wanted to play Dantoni ball for years and I think LaMelo would fit perfectly in that scheme. I would love to press all the time on defense. Those things don't work over 82 games though. You just wear yourself out more than the other guys and will struggle to keep everyone healthy.

NBA season is a marathon not a sprint. You need some guys that can eat some innings.

So we spend a top 3 pick, a premium asset, and commit a large 4 year contract to an “innings eater”?
GoBobs
Assistant Coach

Post#1408 » by GoBobs » Fri May 10, 2024 3:20 pm

EmpireFalls wrote:
GoBobs wrote:
EmpireFalls wrote:I don't think Edey will be bad, I just think he's a bad fit on a LaMelo Ball team.

So we spend a top 3 pick, a premium asset, and commit a large 4 year contract to an “innings eater”?

Yeah because that innings eater is also the best player and the best prospect. It isn't going out on a limb to suggest that one of the tallest guys, with one of the best standing reaches who also had some of the best college stats ever is going to be good in the NBA.

Edey is the back to back MVP of college basketball. Since they started tracking PER like 15 years ago the top 3 PERs are Edey this year, last year, and the year before. That is the definition of generational talent.

JustBuzzin
General Manager

Post#1409 » by JustBuzzin » Fri May 10, 2024 3:21 pm

GoBobs wrote:
EmpireFalls wrote:
Liver_Pooty wrote:

You think Edey can play in a fast pace system?

Seems like the opposite of his play style imo.
GoBobs
Assistant Coach

Post#1410 » by GoBobs » Fri May 10, 2024 5:36 pm

JustBuzzin wrote:
GoBobs wrote:
EmpireFalls wrote:I don't think Edey will be bad, I just think he's a bad fit on a LaMelo Ball team.

You think Edey can play in a fast pace system?

Seems like the opposite of his play style imo.

Nah.. Dawg... he will probably be the last guy that makes it down the floor on offense. Changing ends more often due to the shorter shot clock will probably be a challenging adjustment for him.

You can still run some fast breaks, he just won't be one of the guys sprinting down there.

I'm saying that it is hard to be a team that is only built around the identity of being a running team. The playoffs usually come down to who can execute in the half court. Vet teams can make it hard for you to run on them and plus there are so many timeouts and tv timeouts that tend to slow things down.

It is hard to play a style where you try to increase the number of possessions when there are so many games as well. It is already hard to get through 82 games without people being hurt.

Adding some type of threat at the rim would really open things up for our shooters though. Its like if you have a great quarter back and receivers in football, a running game can really open things up by taking the pressure off those guys.

Edey also sets bone crushing screens. Some guard is going to really benefit from that next year.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/uPFY7ipR_vs
Bassman
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,558

Post#1411 » by Bassman » Fri May 10, 2024 8:35 pm

I like a balanced team, one that does run and can play at pace, but also versatile enough to play grinder games with strength and size. Hornets being built with guys who are long and tall is a good strategy. If Mark is indeed healthy AND able to play at a higher level than he was tracking pre-injury, he fits a vital need at center. Will he be good enough or well enough? If the answer is unknown I strongly consider drafting Clingan. Why? Because we can’t do without that 5 spot producing for us…and there is a good 5 available.

We could also REALLY use a strong tall and athletic 4 who can shoot 3’s but defend out to the perimeter plus rebound. Miles does some of that but is a negative defender. Unfortunately nobody in this draft fills that slot at a high level. Sarr? Maybe someday but who knows if he can ever shoot well enough?

If we are committed to signing Miles, we MUST have a strong center to swat shots, backstop penetration and clean the glass.
I continue to wait...and hope...for the return to Hornet's glory.
bravor
Starter
And1: 746

Post#1412 » by bravor » Sat May 11, 2024 3:37 pm

Little post following the end of the season for both Perrin and Diawara in our second division
Read on Twitter

Too lazy to look for some videos of diawara, i will in couple weeks (but some are available on yt anyway). Anyway, as i already said, i doubt he maintained his name

Perrin otoh might remain in this draft and he showed real progress through the season. Hope he has a work out here, he has some intangibles that people would like (hustle, toughness, high motor, positionning) knowing he can really improve and become a reliable 4/5. As fast as he is - and he is, with and without the ball -, i just wonder if his lack of 'verticality' will jeoperdize his chances.

I like both of them, so i can't really be objective, but they are not talked enough compare to Risacher, Sarr and Salaun while the gap in potential is certainly not that big (if there is any..a guy like Diawara just need to build confidence and some leadership/mental toughness to become a truly great 2 ways wing).
MugzZo
Sixth Man
And1: 965

Post#1413 » by MugzZo » Mon May 13, 2024 12:21 am

Clingan at 6? How do we feel about that overall? I basically have settled into clingan, castle, Holland, and buzelis at this point at 6. I think its one of those 4 guys.

amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
And1: 9,322

Post#1414 » by amcoolio » Mon May 13, 2024 12:29 am

If OKC wants to pair the Williams bros. I wouldn't mind trading down from 6 to 12 for 2 extra firsts + a prospect
I don't support domestic violence. Thanks Miles
wilson115
Sixth Man
And1: 999

Post#1415 » by wilson115 » Mon May 13, 2024 1:44 am

MugzZo wrote:Clingan at 6? How do we feel about that overall? I basically have settled into clingan, castle, Holland, and buzelis at this point at 6. I think its one of those 4 guys.

Fine with Clingan at #6, might mesh well with LaMelo seeing what he did at UConn. Trouble's the Wiz sitting at #2 with no center on the roster, but maybe they try and fill that need in free agency, or shoot for the moon with Edey.

Read on Twitter

Spoiler:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
JustBuzzin
General Manager

Post#1416 » by JustBuzzin » Mon May 13, 2024 2:44 am

MugzZo wrote:Clingan at 6? How do we feel about that overall? I basically have settled into clingan, castle, Holland, and buzelis at this point at 6. I think its one of those 4 guys.

Not big on taking any center especially when we don't know what we have with Mark Williams back issue.

There is a chance he comes back healthy and we basically drafted a center for depth.

I think wing/guard would be my focus.

We also have 30mil to play with in FA we can find a decent center if need be.
Rich4114
RealGM
And1: 4,213

Post#1417 » by Rich4114 » Mon May 13, 2024 2:59 am

JustBuzzin wrote:

Not big on taking any center especially when we don't know what we have with Mark Williams back issue.

There is a chance he comes back healthy and we basically drafted a center for depth.

Considering that question exists and is very real and we have trash for depth at C, Clingan fits a need one way or another. Not only that, but this team needs more size and toughness.

After Clingan, I like Buzelis but I’m expecting him to be gone. I’m sure we’ll end up with Castle and I hope I’m wrong about him. Having no shot in the NBA is killer though. I don’t see how he plays heavy mins if he can’t make open threes.
JustBuzzin
General Manager

Post#1418 » by JustBuzzin » Mon May 13, 2024 3:28 am

Rich4114 wrote:
JustBuzzin wrote:

Considering that question exists and is very real and we have trash for depth at C, Clingan fits a need one way or another. Not only that, but this team needs more size and toughness.

After Clingan, I like Buzelis but I’m expecting him to be gone. I’m sure we’ll end up with Castle and I hope I’m wrong about him. Having no shot in the NBA is killer though. I don’t see how he plays heavy mins if he can’t make open threes.
So who do you see us targeting in FA if we take Clingan?

We still have enough money to add another legit piece to the puzzle while also having the ability to sign Miles.
EmpireFalls
Starter
And1: 3,784

Post#1419 » by EmpireFalls » Mon May 13, 2024 3:47 am

Rich4114 wrote:
JustBuzzin wrote:

I’d be shocked if Buzelis is still there. I’ve basically taken him out of the equation. If he is there we go get him without thinking at 6, but he won’t be.
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,119

Post#1420 » by Liver_Pooty » Mon May 13, 2024 3:50 am

At 6 I think Castle will be the pick.
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.

Return to Charlotte Hornets