DRAFT LOTTERY 24

Moderators: yosemiteben, BigSlam, JDR720, Diop, fatlever

yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,748

Re: DRAFT LOTTERY 24 

Post#81 » by yosemiteben » Sun May 12, 2024 8:40 pm

I get being concerned about his defense, but Dillingham's offense is completely ridiculous. As a freshman he was insanely efficient from 3 on high volume and he has the handle necessary to break down defenses and score in ISO situations when plays break down.

I don't get every one looking past him because we have taken a lot of shots at off guards. Dillingham is special offensively.
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#82 » by yosemiteben » Sun May 12, 2024 8:44 pm

Read on Twitter
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,756

Post#83 » by fatlever » Sun May 12, 2024 8:45 pm

Read on Twitter
?t=toNjPbVgmEXQT__Sv21wtg&s=19

This would be ideal top 5 for hornets... would leave us with some great options that fill need.

Sent from my SM-G973U using RealGM mobile app
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets

Post#84 » by fatlever » Sun May 12, 2024 8:45 pm

Jinx

Bassman
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,582

Post#85 » by Bassman » Sun May 12, 2024 8:49 pm

yosemiteben wrote:I get being concerned about his defense, but Dillingham's offense is completely ridiculous. As a freshman he was insanely efficient from 3 on high volume and he has the handle necessary to break down defenses and score in ISO situations when plays break down.

I don't get every one looking past him because we have taken a lot of shots at off guards. Dillingham is special offensively.

Hey I do think he will create offense and sometimes score like a popcorn popper. But on defense? I see another little guard who doesn’t help us improve in that area. Someone show me how that’s wrong, how he will be a tough defender while destroying all NBA defenders, and maybe I’d give him some thought. Same issue as with Reed who was nifty at making college ball steals but is too slow and small at this level to offset his shooting.
I continue to wait...and hope...for the return to Hornet's glory.
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets

Post#86 » by fatlever » Sun May 12, 2024 8:49 pm

yosemiteben wrote:I get being concerned about his defense, but Dillingham's offense is completely ridiculous. As a freshman he was insanely efficient from 3 on high volume and he has the handle necessary to break down defenses and score in ISO situations when plays break down.

I did watch a special on him recently. Dude seems super motivated, hard worker... he'd be an improvement over nsj. But terrible fit next to Melo, so his role is 6th man type.. which might be fine for crap draft.

Nsj could be traded

I'm just kinda over combo guards though.

yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#87 » by yosemiteben » Sun May 12, 2024 8:54 pm

I guess for me, if we come out of this draft with a rotation piece that has an elite skill (either offensively or defensively) I'll be happy. Dillingham seems to check that box.

I agree we need help defensively for sure, but assuming he's got a decent wingspan I don't view Dillingham as inevitably a career negative defender.

And if you watch playoff teams right now, the ability to score against strong defenses is so valuable. Teams like NYK and CLE are desperate for consistent scoring and on ball playmaking. Obviously you also need elite defense as well, but having a hyper efficient shooter that can also create on ball would be such a plus. Can't have too many of those guys.

ETA: I'm talking like I'm bigger on Dillingham than I actually am, more just making the argument. I don't know his game all that well.
MasterIchiro
RealGM
And1: 5,416

Post#88 » by MasterIchiro » Sun May 12, 2024 8:59 pm

I'm talking myself into the Rockets selecting Donovan Clingan #3. It pushes down someone to Charlotte.

1 - Hawks - Sarr - Capela is nearly caput. Okongwu is not a starter. They deal one of Trae/Dejounte, but not both, and Topic doesn't play starting PG over either.
2 - Topic (no way Wiz pass on the best PG when they need one. He fits well with Avdija as secondary playmaker)
3 - Rockets - Clingan. Desperate for rim protection and some identity on defense. Swung at wing defense (Amen) last draft.
4 - Spurs - Risacher. Hawks may spoil this selection but I think San Antonio would be fine taking Sheppard over Sarr here if that happens.
5 - Pistons - Buzelis
6 - Hornets ???

Sheppard, Dillingham, Holland, Castle may be there.
It has been written...
amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
And1: 9,353

Post#89 » by amcoolio » Sun May 12, 2024 9:07 pm

Yeah I’m on team trade the pick, I just can’t get the excited about the non international prospects. Team won’t do that though, they love selling hope. At least picking 6th instead of 2nd gives the front office the excuse to not have to force one of them into our rotation, they can safely spend the year in Greensboro. I think only Clingan or Sheppard plays minutes next year. If we are playing Holland, Castle or Buzelis then that means we have decided to tank again
I don't support domestic violence. Thanks Miles
Rich4114
RealGM
And1: 4,229

Post#90 » by Rich4114 » Sun May 12, 2024 9:19 pm

The NBA has shifted back to being a big man’s league. Draft Clingan and let the rest sort itself out. In a draft like this, I’d rather go high floor because a lot of these dudes are probably going to be busts. Especially the ones with questionable shots.
countryboi
Head Coach
And1: 1,320

Post#91 » by countryboi » Sun May 12, 2024 9:23 pm

Rich4114 wrote:The NBA has shifted back to being a big man’s league. Draft Clingan and let the rest sort itself out. In a draft like this, I’d rather go high floor because a lot of these dudes are probably going to be busts. Especially the ones with questionable shots.

you can see the move happening and I would rather be on board
The Cut Podcast, An Hilarious barbershop style discussion podcast. Watch us on Youtube and listen to us on all major Podcast Platforms. https://linktr.ee/thecut_podcast
EmpireFalls
Starter
And1: 3,910

Post#92 » by EmpireFalls » Sun May 12, 2024 9:25 pm

amcoolio wrote:Yeah I’m on team trade the pick, I just can’t get the excited about the non international prospects. Team won’t do that though, they love selling hope. At least picking 6th instead of 2nd gives the front office the excuse to not have to force one of them into our rotation, they can safely spend the year in Greensboro. I think only Clingan or Sheppard plays minutes next year. If we are playing Holland, Castle or Buzelis then that means we have decided to tank again

I actually wouldn’t mind being bottom 5 next year given the talent at the top of the draft.
MugzZo
Sixth Man
And1: 970

Post#93 » by MugzZo » Sun May 12, 2024 9:34 pm

Damn 6. Didn't expect that. I guess one of those uconn dudes will do. Clingan or castle.

Sent from my SM-F936U using RealGM mobile app
JustBuzzin
General Manager
And1: 7,130

Post#94 » by JustBuzzin » Sun May 12, 2024 9:51 pm

MasterIchiro wrote:LaMelo - primary playmaker
Castle - secondary playmaker

Moves Brandon to third playmaker where he's absolutely deadly. Miles is solid as 4th playmaker.

Mark is covered. He just needs to catch and finish.

Basically this.

Castle offers us multiple things defense being #1 which is what coach Lee was preaching, and he also has the ability to step in for Melo if he goes down and play PG.

Right now my top 4 that's realistically available I have Castle/Clingan/Buzelis/Cody Williams
JustBuzzin
General Manager

Post#95 » by JustBuzzin » Sun May 12, 2024 9:53 pm

JDR720 wrote:
Bassman wrote:Holland is a dangerous reach IMO. Athletic but poor shooting form, makes bad decisions and would duplicate our NSJ pick at a far too high level.

I see Castle as a better option than Holland. If we can choose between Clingan, Buzelis and Castle I will feel more confident we get a long term difference maker.

Castle is a worse shooter than Holland is.

If we're picking two between two poor shooting wings, take the bigger one.

Castle can play multiple positions and are we sure Holland in bigger?

I think Castle is probably 6'5 while Holland is 6'6 not much of a difference. Castle also plays with a higher IQ imo.
JustBuzzin
General Manager

Post#96 » by JustBuzzin » Sun May 12, 2024 9:58 pm

Rich4114 wrote:The NBA has shifted back to being a big man’s league. Draft Clingan and let the rest sort itself out. In a draft like this, I’d rather go high floor because a lot of these dudes are probably going to be busts. Especially the ones with questionable shots.

I like Clingan but he seems like a regular big to me. He can protect the rim, but being honest he didn't look really athletic in college.

I would rather just sign someone like Hartenstein or Val in FA. We still have about 30 mil to play with in FA and the ability to go over the cap to bring Bridges back.

I like the FA centers a available over any center in this draft.
JustBuzzin
General Manager

Post#97 » by JustBuzzin » Sun May 12, 2024 10:01 pm

I said this a few days ago. He's my favorite to win ROTY.

My question is will LaMelo be fine moving over to SG?

I love Dillingham as a scorer. He's special. I just don't think the fit is the best. No doubt in my mind this kid will put up points from day 1 though.
Snidely FC
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,211

Post#98 » by Snidely FC » Sun May 12, 2024 10:08 pm

Sour Grapes Hot Take: I think the draft lottery is a travesty. .500 Rockets picking 3rd is one example of the stupidity. Guys coming out of college should be free agents. Teams should be able to negotiate with any and all of them. Isn't that what salary caps are for, to prevent them all from ending up on the same team? These guys and the clubs they're going to are worth millions and we're deciding who goes where with ping pong balls. Does no body else think this is stupid. F the draft.
Bassman
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,582

Post#99 » by Bassman » Sun May 12, 2024 10:10 pm

Very hopeful Clingan, Castle both available at 6th…big bonus if Buzelis also slips to there. Only the many additional sessions of workouts, interviews and internal knowledge of our player situation (Mark really expected to be 100%?) will dictate our choice.

Did you see the interviews with players prior to the fake ceremony of awarding the Hawks #1 (with 3% chance) so they can PROVE tanking doesn’t pay? I liked his answer, in which he says he proudly played within the system this season, but has a lot more to show to teams on what he can do. Buzelis is also a guy I think can ultimately grow into a quality contributor. Clingan is a much better prospect than some here may think. Agree he’s a good high floor with limited ceiling above, but, what he does well can really help us. I’m good with either of those 3.
I continue to wait...and hope...for the return to Hornet's glory.
MasterIchiro
RealGM
And1: 5,416

Post#100 » by MasterIchiro » Sun May 12, 2024 10:19 pm

Bassman wrote:Very hopeful Clingan, Castle both available at 6th…big bonus if Buzelis also slips to there. Only the many additional sessions of workouts, interviews and internal knowledge of our player situation (Mark really expected to be 100%?) will dictate our choice.

Did you see the interviews with players prior to the fake ceremony of awarding the Hawks #1 (with 3% chance) so they can PROVE tanking doesn’t pay? I liked his answer, in which he says he proudly played within the system this season, but has a lot more to show to teams on what he can do. Buzelis is also a guy I think can ultimately grow into a quality contributor. Clingan is a much better prospect than some here may think. Agree he’s a good high floor with limited ceiling above, but, what he does well can really help us. I’m good with either of those 3.

I can see spirited debate within the organization if Buzelis falls.

The scenario where he falls has Rockets taking Clingan 3.

1 - Sarr (Hawks)
2 - Topic (Wiz, need PG)
3 - Clingan (Rockets)
4 - Sheppard (Spurs, need PG with Topic off the board).
5 - Risacher (Pistons)

This drops Buzelis. Castle will be there imo even if Rockets take someone other than Clingan 3.

I can be swayed on Buzelis, but I really like Castle's fit. We need more hard-nosed players who make the right play on both ends.
It has been written...

Return to Charlotte Hornets