ImageImage

2024 Draft Prospects

Moderators: BigSlam, JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben

KingCat
Sixth Man
And1: 850

Re: 2024 Draft Prospects 

Post#1501 » by KingCat » Mon May 13, 2024 6:35 pm

Really can't make a judgment on guards till I see these combine measurements. Eye test tells me Reed is 6'1 with t rex arms and Castle is 6'3. Like a Marcus Smart without the bulk. If the combine proves my eyes right, then I wouldn't want to touch either of them and just instead take whoever falls out of top 5 .
Your Charlotte Hornets! We’ll eventually get something right;right?
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,710

Post#1502 » by yosemiteben » Mon May 13, 2024 6:38 pm

Edey with those measurements is forcing an existential debate on prospects. Hell, Edey is only one year older than Clingan.

I very much do not see the two as completely different tiers of prospects.
Chapelchilla
Bench Warmer
And1: 886

Post#1503 » by Chapelchilla » Mon May 13, 2024 6:39 pm

I’m not trying smear Castle, lol. He is probably going to be a pretty good 7th/8th man type of strong bench contributor. That’s his baseline. IF he can shoot at Least 35% plus from 3 he could be a good starter. Who knows if that happens?
Rich4114
RealGM
And1: 4,213

Post#1504 » by Rich4114 » Mon May 13, 2024 6:39 pm

MasterIchiro wrote:As far as Clingan's ceiling.

Imagine if Rudy Gobert could keep a team honest in space. I'm not talking about a three point basket on occasion. Anything outside the paint does the trick. Clingan has gravity at the rim and pulls defenders causing a defense to collapse. His court vision is solid and he's a decent passer. He also runs the floor well in transition and doesn't fumble passes.

Teams are already salivating over the 2X champion. I guarantee it.

He also knows how to set screens, something nobody on the team seems to grasp
Rich4114
RealGM
And1: 4,213

Post#1505 » by Rich4114 » Mon May 13, 2024 6:44 pm

I really don't think we're getting a starter from this draft. If we do, I'd be pleasantly surprised. What we need is to get bigger and tougher. We have been getting eaten alive on the boards for a decade. Clingan, Edey, I don't even care anymore. Just give me someone who you can feed in the paint and get a bucket when needed or someone who can grab a damn rebound.
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 43,391

Post#1506 » by JDR720 » Mon May 13, 2024 7:03 pm

MasterIchiro wrote:
Chapelchilla wrote:Extremely productive giants who have played at high levels shouldn’t be overlooked because they can’t do everything like a small forward. If Mark is at all iffy we should be looking closely at Clingan or Edey.
I don’t want a project who can’t shoot, we did that already with MKG.

Did MKG ever run offense as a point guard or combo guard?

No.

MKG was one-dimensional on offense. Once the ball reached him, a possession wasn't going to progress. The bigger positions demand more playmaking these days. MKG had no shot, but he also had no clue what to do with the ball in his hands but straight-line drive. He couldn't dribble in traffic nor distribute.

It's a totally flawed comparison that's starting to sound more like a smear.

MKG showed playmaking potential in his rookie year.

The issue is he couldn't shoot or score. So he couldn't ever use his playmaking skills because nobody bothered to guard him.

Nobody is drafting Castle to play make for others either. He'll have the same issues MKG had. Left open and relegated to line drives or slashes.

At absolute best, a playmaker Castle is our 3rd playmaking option. Solidly behind Melo and Miller. Probably behind Miles too.

Somebody like Holland at least has scoring upside, so in addition to defense he could be a solid #2 or #3 scorer too.
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 43,391

Post#1507 » by JDR720 » Mon May 13, 2024 7:07 pm

Another comp for Castle: Lance Stephenson if he wasn't an idiot.

This of course assumes Castle can be at least a respectable shooter and playmaker.
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,725

Post#1508 » by fatlever » Mon May 13, 2024 7:26 pm

everyone making 3s
MugzZo
Sixth Man
And1: 962

Post#1509 » by MugzZo » Mon May 13, 2024 7:32 pm

Holland has great measurements. Pretty much what I expected. I thought castle was 6'3 6'4 he's not even that. I do not want him if he's that small and can't shoot.

Sent from my SM-F936U using RealGM mobile app
JustBuzzin
General Manager
And1: 6,791

Post#1510 » by JustBuzzin » Mon May 13, 2024 7:51 pm

Be honest tell me you're not warming up to Dalton Knecht?

I don't care about his age. He can slide in at the sg spot from day 1. He's also looking like one of the better athletes in this draft.

Melo
Knecht
Miller

I think we should probably trade Bridges to Cleveland for Mobley.

Melo
Knecht
Miller
Mobley
Mark

Playoff bound!
Heelsfan119
Freshman
And1: 50

Post#1511 » by Heelsfan119 » Mon May 13, 2024 7:55 pm

[/img]
MugzZo wrote:Holland has great measurements. Pretty much what I expected. I thought castle was 6'3 6'4 he's not even that. I do not want him if he's that small and can't shoot.

Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=08fAfJmCRsdrpyFhaJTr4g

Apparently, some measurements were botched.
MugzZo
Sixth Man

Post#1512 » by MugzZo » Mon May 13, 2024 8:04 pm

Heelsfan119 wrote:[/img]
MugzZo wrote:Holland has great measurements. Pretty much what I expected. I thought castle was 6'3 6'4 he's not even that. I do not want him if he's that small and can't shoot.

Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=08fAfJmCRsdrpyFhaJTr4g

Apparently, some measurements were botched.
Yeah that'd why u said if. I do think he will measure at best at 6'3.75 wo shoes at the most. He was never 6'6. Always looked smaller than his listed height on the floor.

MugzZo
Sixth Man

Post#1513 » by MugzZo » Mon May 13, 2024 8:05 pm

JustBuzzin wrote:Be honest tell me you're not warming up to Dalton Knecht?

I don't care about his age. He can slide in at the sg spot from day 1. He's also looking like one of the better athletes in this draft.

Melo
Knecht
Miller

Melo
Knecht
Miller
Mobley
Mark

Playoff bound!
I am to be honest. Holland is the guy at the moment. Knecht wouldn't be a bad pick in this draft though. Probably one of the most nba ready prospects.

JustBuzzin
General Manager

Post#1514 » by JustBuzzin » Mon May 13, 2024 8:09 pm

Still waiting for the Castle official height measurement. If he's under 6'3 he's off my board.

My top 3 so far are Knecht/Clingan/George when the Castle height is confirmed he could be back #1 on my list.

Who dropped off my list completely Reed/Cody
JustBuzzin
General Manager

Post#1515 » by JustBuzzin » Mon May 13, 2024 8:11 pm

MugzZo wrote:

Melo
Knecht
Miller

Melo
Knecht
Miller
Mobley
Mark

Playoff bound!
I am to be honest. Holland is the guy at the moment. Knecht wouldn't be a bad pick in this draft though. Probably one of the most nba ready prospects.

Kid is a baller. My only question mark was his athletic ability at the next level. The fact he is one of the most athletic players in this draft really put him at the top of my list.

In a weak draft, we can take a chance on a 24yr old prospect. Like you said he's NBA ready.
Rays Pompadour
Senior
And1: 423

Post#1516 » by Rays Pompadour » Mon May 13, 2024 8:20 pm

I've had some time to take a look at players post-lottery and have a few thoughts.

Saar can easily put on weight, in my opinion, especially in the upper body and that'll help him tremendously.

Clingan has enormously wide shoulders. I don't know why that matters, but he fills up space nicely.

Topic...the little I've seen of him, well, he's a bit too upright for me. Seems stiff. Still a mystery to me.

Holland has that "Crash" look about him. I love his fearlessness, athleticism and length. I do think he's a couple of years away from developing into a rotation player. Some G-league would be good for him. He's just too sloppy of a ball player right now.

Castle is league ready, in my opinion. He's skilled in the things that matter and he loves contact. I also think criticism of his shot is overblown. He didn't have to shoot at UConn and he won't have to in Charlotte, either. He'll knock down enough Martin-like shots to pay his way.

Risacher has all the measurements - all the tools. Hard to bet against that kind of giftedness. Top 3 talent...perfect for SA.

I love everything about Reed Shepherd. Most don't and that's fine. NBA spacing will make Shepherd very valuable someday. Below-average physical measurables don't scare me if a man knows how to play the game the right way.

Rob Dillingham, on the other hand, scares the daylights out of me. I'm not a fan, much, but too terrified of his potential not to draft him.

Buzelis has role player written all over him...and that's good. The Hornets could use a quality role player who does it all well, but isn't a super star.

Dalton Knecht will go higher than most predict because, gosh, who doesn't need a dude in a flat draft who can score at will? Love players who know who they are and just go do what they do.
MugzZo
Sixth Man

Post#1517 » by MugzZo » Mon May 13, 2024 8:21 pm

JustBuzzin wrote:
MugzZo wrote:

Melo
Knecht
Miller

Melo
Knecht
Miller
Mobley
Mark

Playoff bound!

Kid is a baller. My only question mark was his athletic ability at the next level. The fact he is one of the most athletic players in this draft really put him at the top of my list.

In a weak draft, we can take a chance on a 24yr old prospect. Like you said he's NBA ready.
I really would love Holland though. He's got the size and length to guard multiple positions. He's aggressive. He's got some of that dawg in him. He's basically 6'7 with a near 6'11 with wingspan and an 8'8 standing reach. He has very similar dimensions to Aaron Gordon.

yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,710

Post#1518 » by yosemiteben » Mon May 13, 2024 8:28 pm

uhoh

Read on Twitter
KembaWalker
General Manager
And1: 11,323

Post#1519 » by KembaWalker » Mon May 13, 2024 8:33 pm

Draft whoever comes back with the cleanest medicals
JustBuzzin
General Manager

Post#1520 » by JustBuzzin » Mon May 13, 2024 8:34 pm

MugzZo wrote:
JustBuzzin wrote:
MugzZo wrote:I am to be honest. Holland is the guy at the moment. Knecht wouldn't be a bad pick in this draft though. Probably one of the most nba ready prospects.

I really would love Holland though. He's got the size and length to guard multiple positions. He's aggressive. He's got some of that dawg in him. He's basically 6'7 with a near 6'11 with wingspan and an 8'8 standing reach. He has very similar dimensions to Aaron Gordon.

Holland is solid, but what if I told you Knecht was more athletic and is a more advanced scorer than Holland right now?

If the age concerns you I get it, but Knecht has shown to be the best athlete in this draft. Given his scoring ability it's hard to pass that up imo. Imagine Knecht/Miller waiting for the 3ball from a Melo pass. :o

My thing is if we draft Knecht, we probably need to trade Miles for a legit pf who can play defense and rebound. Someone like Evan Mobley would be nice.

Return to Charlotte Hornets