luciano-davidwesley
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,264

Re: 2024 Draft Prospects 

Post#1541 » by luciano-davidwesley » Mon May 13, 2024 10:42 pm

JDR720 wrote:
SWedd523 wrote:
JDR720 wrote:Castle is a less bulky Marcus Smart at the high end, Justice Winslow at the low.

So my picks, unless one of the others drop, are either Holland or Clingan. I'd still take Reed too.

https://nbadraft.theringer.com/mock-draft

The Ringer has us taking Reed. Clingan going #2 and Holland 9th.

Reed is significantly smaller than Castle, so I don't see how anyone can trust him to be anything remarkable on the defensive end.

I don't care how good you can shoot if you're 6'1/6'3

He doesn't have to be remarkable, he has the smarts and feel to play good defense against PG's and certain SG's.

He's not some dwarf. One of the best players in this years playoffs (Brunson) is 6'1 too.

I heard his pee pee girth measured 8 inches though and his one footed 360 leap was 24 inches. So there's that

Castle's clenched fist measured 5.25 inches and Holland's growl after a dunk got up to 46 decibels
luciano-davidwesley
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1542 » by luciano-davidwesley » Mon May 13, 2024 10:44 pm

SWedd523 wrote:
JDR720 wrote:
SWedd523 wrote:Reed is significantly smaller than Castle, so I don't see how anyone can trust him to be anything remarkable on the defensive end.

He doesn't have to be remarkable, he has the smarts and feel to play good defense against PG's and certain SG's.

He's not some dwarf. One of the best players in this years playoffs (Brunson) is 6'1 too.

Yeah tell Melo and his accountant Reed to go out and play some perimeter defense against any good team and not get embarrassed.

Smart is a benefit that sets you apart and puts you over the top, it doesn't cover up not physically having it.

Pretty poor and baseless comments here I'm going to call out.
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 43,391

Post#1543 » by JDR720 » Mon May 13, 2024 10:53 pm

SWedd523 wrote:
Yeah tell Melo and his accountant Reed to go out and play some perimeter defense against any good team and not get embarrassed.

Smart is a benefit that sets you apart and puts you over the top, it doesn't cover up not physically having it.

There are plenty of guards Reed's size that are good defenders.

Mike Conley is 6'1.
Davion Mitchell is 6 foot.
Donovan Mitchell is 6'1.

You don't need to be some giant or have a 7 foot wingspan to defend well. You guys act like Reed is Nate Robinson sized or something.

This is like when people just assume Edey can't defend because he's huge... yet his combine day was better than Clingan who is supposedly being drafted for his defense.
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 17,970

Post#1544 » by Diop » Mon May 13, 2024 11:02 pm

SWedd523 wrote:
JDR720 wrote:
SWedd523 wrote:Reed is significantly smaller than Castle, so I don't see how anyone can trust him to be anything remarkable on the defensive end.

An accountant with a 42 inch vertical
JustBuzzin
General Manager
And1: 6,791

Post#1545 » by JustBuzzin » Mon May 13, 2024 11:08 pm

Yall getting all riled up over a guy who won't even be on our board.

What are we gonna do with a 6'1 backup PG?

Cmon guys let's be realistic with the prospects. Topic was a possibility, but he's going to drop significantly with his 2nd knee injury.
SWedd523
RealGM
And1: 5,211

Post#1546 » by SWedd523 » Mon May 13, 2024 11:09 pm

luciano-davidwesley wrote:
SWedd523 wrote:
JDR720 wrote:He doesn't have to be remarkable, he has the smarts and feel to play good defense against PG's and certain SG's.

How many Ivy League players are running around the NBA

Now how many dumber than a bag of rocks guys are in the NBA.

It's like last year's NFL draft where Bryce Young was being considered a great pick because he was so smart and had a super processor brain and all that other crap that made his small size a non factor.

And then CJ "Failed the IQ Test" Stroud went out and played like a top 10 QB as a rookie and Young looked like the worst QB in the league.

What's wrong with Dillingham then? Same measurables, significantly better volume scorer who still shot 44% from three, and has shown much better ability to beat guys off the dribble.

We'd presumably play Reed at the 2. Are we going to build a JJ-Redick-at-Duke style offense to suit his inability to score over, or get around NBA size?

No

You're drafting a short dude hoping he's smart enough to guard small PGs and then toss him in the shame corner.

I dunno, seems kinda silly.
JustBuzzin
General Manager

Post#1547 » by JustBuzzin » Mon May 13, 2024 11:10 pm

SWedd523 wrote:
SWedd523 wrote:Yeah tell Melo and his accountant Reed to go out and play some perimeter defense against any good team and not get embarrassed.

How many Ivy League players are running around the NBA

Now how many dumber than a bag of rocks guys are in the NBA.

It's like last year's NFL draft where Bryce Young was being considered a great pick because he was so smart and had a super processor brain and all that other crap that made his small size a non factor.

And then CJ "Failed the IQ Test" Stroud went out and played like a top 10 QB as a rookie and Young looked like the worst QB in the league.

What's wrong with Dillingham then? Same measurables, significantly better volume scorer who still shot 44% from three, and has shown much better ability to beat guys off the dribble.

We'd presumably play Reed at the 2. Are we going to build a JJ-Redick-at-Duke style offense to suit his inability to score over, or get around NBA size?

No

You're drafting a short dude hoping he's smart enough to guard small PGs and then toss him in the shame corner.

I dunno, seems kinda silly.
:lol:

I love everything about this post.
MasterIchiro
RealGM
And1: 5,399

Post#1548 » by MasterIchiro » Mon May 13, 2024 11:13 pm

Read on Twitter

Castle had his shot working at the combine today. Mom is proud. Shout!
It has been written...
luciano-davidwesley
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1549 » by luciano-davidwesley » Mon May 13, 2024 11:14 pm

JustBuzzin wrote:Yall getting all riled up over a guy who won't even be on our board.

Cmon guys let's be realistic with the prospects. Topic was a possibility, but he's going to drop significantly with his 2nd knee injury.

Dude you're talking aboutt UConn's 6'3 beta, non-shooting SG like he's the second coming of MJ.

He's not on YOUR board but you don't speak for the Hornets organisation.

BPA is all I want. I'd also rather a 6'1 PG than a 6'3 SG if we are going to obsess over measurements. He's been mocked in the top 3 by a few boards so the fact you don't like him doesn't mean we aren't being realistic discussing him lol.
SWedd523
RealGM

Post#1550 » by SWedd523 » Mon May 13, 2024 11:16 pm

JDR720 wrote:
SWedd523 wrote:

There are plenty of guards Reed's size that are good defenders.

Mike Conley is 6'1.
Davion Mitchell is 6 foot.
Donovan Mitchell is 6'1.

You don't need to be some giant or have a 7 foot wingspan to defend well. You guys act like Reed is Nate Robinson sized or something.

This is like when people just assume Edey can't defend because he's huge... yet his combine day was better than Clingan who is supposedly being drafted for his defense.

Conley has a 6'6 wingspan; how many minutes can you trust Davion Mitchell to play?, and Donovan Mitchell has a 6'10 wingspan.

The two good ones were/are primary ballhandlers who could/can consistently beat guys off a dribble and score.

Even trying to stretch fit those three into a similarity spectrum, you're not doing a good job of building confidence that Reed is going to duplicate it
JustBuzzin
General Manager

Post#1551 » by JustBuzzin » Mon May 13, 2024 11:21 pm

MasterIchiro wrote:
Read on Twitter

Mama knows what her baby has to work on. :D

I'm just waiting for his official height measurement. If he's 6'4 or taller he's my #1 choice.
SWedd523
RealGM

Post#1552 » by SWedd523 » Mon May 13, 2024 11:23 pm

JustBuzzin wrote:Yall getting all riled up over a guy who won't even be on our board.

Dude you're talking aboutt UConn's 6'3 beta, non-shooting SG like he's the second coming of MJ.

BPA is all I want. I'd also rather a 6'1 PG than a 6'3 SG if we are going to obsess over measurements. He's been mocked in the top 3 by a few boards so the fact you don't like him doesn't mean we aren't being realistic discussing him lol.

That shorty is off my list too.
JustBuzzin
General Manager

Post#1553 » by JustBuzzin » Mon May 13, 2024 11:24 pm

You're more than welcome to root for your guy. Also did you miss the part when I said if Castle was shorter than 6'4 he's off my board completely.

I'm not some homer for a certain player. I realize height plays a major factor. Reed is a 6'1 PG that happens to play the same position as our max pg Melo. I just find it hard to believe we will use the #6 pick on a backup to Melo.

But I won't judge you if you really like him. :D
luciano-davidwesley
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1554 » by luciano-davidwesley » Mon May 13, 2024 11:26 pm

JustBuzzin wrote:

You're more than welcome to root for your guy. Also did you miss the part when I said if Castle was shorter than 6'4 he's off my board completely.

I'm not some homer for a certain player. I realize height plays a major factor. Reed is a 6'1 PG that happens to play the same position as our max pg Melo. I just find it hard to believe we will use the #6 pick on a backup to Melo.

But I won't judge you if you really like him. :D

There's a few guys I like I'm not set on one. I'd be very happy with Holland or Topic, though unless his knee is shot he'll be off the board when we pick.
MasterIchiro
RealGM

Post#1555 » by MasterIchiro » Mon May 13, 2024 11:26 pm

JustBuzzin wrote:
MasterIchiro wrote:
Read on Twitter

I'm just waiting for his official height measurement. If he's 6'4 or taller he's my #1 choice.

If the NBA Combine means what Edey supporters have suggested it means, it's clear Castle is going #1 overall after silencing his detractors who dismiss him for his shooting.
It has been written...
luciano-davidwesley
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1556 » by luciano-davidwesley » Mon May 13, 2024 11:27 pm

MasterIchiro wrote:
JustBuzzin wrote:
MasterIchiro wrote:
Read on Twitter

If the NBA Combine means what Edey supporters have suggested it means, it's clear Castle is going #1 overall after silencing his detractors who dismiss him for his shooting.

I'm guessing this is a shooting uncontested shots drill?
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 17,970

Post#1557 » by Diop » Mon May 13, 2024 11:29 pm

SWedd523 wrote:

That shorty is off my list too.

For a “crappy” draft, it’s sure bringing a lot of strong arguments and discussion
MasterIchiro
RealGM

Post#1558 » by MasterIchiro » Mon May 13, 2024 11:30 pm

MasterIchiro wrote:
JustBuzzin wrote:Mama knows what her baby has to work on. :D

I'm guessing this is a shooting uncontested shots drill?

Yes, just like every other drill. Measurements will matter, of course, because they remain a constant from Combine to NBA court.
It has been written...
wilson115
Sixth Man
And1: 999

Post#1559 » by wilson115 » Mon May 13, 2024 11:33 pm

Says Castle shot 18/25 on that drill. Hope it's for real, good to have more options at #6.

Spoiler:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
wilson115
Sixth Man
And1: 999

Post#1560 » by wilson115 » Mon May 13, 2024 11:42 pm

SWedd523 wrote:
JDR720 wrote:

If we expect him to lock up #1 options like a Lu Dort then we'll probably be disappointed. But given what Reed's shown in the NCAA and the combine isn't it reasonable to think he could at least be competent defensively against NBA backcourts?

Return to Charlotte Hornets