Moderators: BigSlam, JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben

wilson115
Sixth Man
And1: 1,002

Re: 2024 Draft Prospects 

Post#1601 » by wilson115 » Tue May 14, 2024 1:36 pm

EmpireFalls wrote:
wilson115 wrote:
EmpireFalls wrote:Castle measurements: awful. 6' 2.25'' without shoes, 6' 8.75'' wingpsan.

I am officially out on him at #6 after seeing those measurements. That is not good at all.

Compare him to Holland and Walter: 6' 6.50" without shoes, 6' 10.75'' wingspan for Holland, 6' 4.25'' without shoes, 6' 10.00'' for Walter.

Posting for reference. Same as Ron Holland, Karaban here's 6'6.5" w/o shoes, listed 6'8" presumably measured with shoes.

Read on Twitter

Ah yeah they officially said that there was a mistake and it was actually Devin Carter’s measurements. Most people think he’s 6’5” with a 6’9” wingspan

Yes someone said it's a mistake, but by how much? Here's Holland standing next to John Jenkins. (6'3.25" w/o shoes, 6'4.25" shod).

viewtopic.php?p=112474196#p112474196
MasterIchiro
RealGM
And1: 5,401

Post#1602 » by MasterIchiro » Tue May 14, 2024 1:41 pm

JustBuzzin wrote:
EmpireFalls wrote:
JustBuzzin wrote:For goodness sake can anyone give us an update on Castle's height?

The day is almost over yet this kid height can't be found.

Saw someone say he measured 6’5” with a 6’9” wingspan at the McDonald’s All American game last year. Which matches the eye test. But no official Combine measurements yet.

#CastleGate

It's been perplexing and absurd. He's a high profile prospect coming off a national championship. Nobody inside the NBA knows that the measurements released at the combine were wrong? Someone knows. Has to.

Given someone does know his actual measurements, why on God's green Earth has zero action been taken to correct the record? It's obviously not foul play, rather sheer incompetence. Astounding incompetence.

Is the New York Daily News & Hartford Courant bidding on rights to release the real numbers?

To hell with Yankee media!!!

Just kidding. Or am I? Is this about money?
It has been written...
wilson115
Sixth Man
And1: 1,002

Post#1603 » by wilson115 » Tue May 14, 2024 1:48 pm

Looking better for Topic now:

Read on Twitter
MasterIchiro
RealGM

Post#1604 » by MasterIchiro » Tue May 14, 2024 1:49 pm

MugzZo wrote:Castles measurement will come out and he should be near 6'4. Thinking of players who he can compare to. Is jalen suggs/Josh hart a decent comp?

Sent from my SM-F936U using RealGM mobile app

Both players remind me of Castle. But how many years before Suggs achieved his current incarnation? Even though more efficient from 3, he will never shoot/make a high volume. And how many years did it take Hart to become this impact player in the playoffs?

I hope if Hornets select Castle, fans give him an appropriate grace period.
It has been written...
MasterIchiro
RealGM

Post#1605 » by MasterIchiro » Tue May 14, 2024 1:53 pm

Snidely FC wrote:
LofJ wrote:
Snidely FC wrote:The problem with Castle shooting 18/25 in that Big Star drill is that a Castle who can shoot is a Top 5 pick in this draft

With the Topic injury there is now a scenario where Sarr Risacher Holland Buzelis Castle are gone by 6, which would suck.

Since the Spurs have 2 picks I think they're going to take a wing at 4. I think it'll end up being Holland.

So expected order in front of us is Sarr, Risacher, Clingan, Holland, Buzelis. That leaves us with Castle at 6. If he's 6'4 in shoes instead of 6'2 I'd be happy to have him in Charlotte.

I agree that SA may now take Holland at 4, but I also think Castle is very "Spursy." Either way, Spurs take a wing off the board that would likely have been an option for the Hornets until yesterday. You're right, that Topic injury and SA getting TOR's pick really changes the calculus on SA having to take a PG at 4. A real bummer.

They already have a wing defender with playmaking ability and a questionable shot.

My wonder is why so many Hornets fans wanted to make babies with blond MKG yet poop on Castle for his shooting.

Should Castle dye his hair blond and endear himself to Hornets fans once and for all?
It has been written...
JMAC3
RealGM
And1: 4,293

Post#1606 » by JMAC3 » Tue May 14, 2024 4:23 pm

MasterIchiro wrote:
Snidely FC wrote:
LofJ wrote:
Since the Spurs have 2 picks I think they're going to take a wing at 4. I think it'll end up being Holland.

So expected order in front of us is Sarr, Risacher, Clingan, Holland, Buzelis. That leaves us with Castle at 6. If he's 6'4 in shoes instead of 6'2 I'd be happy to have him in Charlotte.

I agree that SA may now take Holland at 4, but I also think Castle is very "Spursy." Either way, Spurs take a wing off the board that would likely have been an option for the Hornets until yesterday. You're right, that Topic injury and SA getting TOR's pick really changes the calculus on SA having to take a PG at 4. A real bummer.

They already have a wing defender with playmaking ability and a questionable shot.

My wonder is why so many Hornets fans wanted to make babies with blond MKG yet poop on Castle for his shooting.

Should Castle dye his hair blond and endear himself to Hornets fans once and for all?

Who is blonde MKG? Is that supposed to be obvious?
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
MasterIchiro
RealGM

Post#1607 » by MasterIchiro » Tue May 14, 2024 4:26 pm

JMAC3 wrote:
MasterIchiro wrote:
Snidely FC wrote:

Jeremy Sochan.
It has been written...
JMAC3
RealGM

Post#1608 » by JMAC3 » Tue May 14, 2024 4:32 pm

MasterIchiro wrote:
JMAC3 wrote:
MasterIchiro wrote:

Jeremy Sochan.

Are you saying people should look at Sochan and Castle the same? The physical profile is so different you can't even compare them.

Sochan is 6-8 with a 7 ft wingspan and weighs 230lbs
We are over here rooting for Castle to be at least 6-4 right now...
Big Board
MasterIchiro
RealGM

Post#1609 » by MasterIchiro » Tue May 14, 2024 4:34 pm

JMAC3 wrote:
MasterIchiro wrote:
JMAC3 wrote:

Jeremy Sochan.

Are you saying people should look at Sochan and Castle the same? The physical profile is so different you can't even compare them.

Sochan is 6-8 with a 7 ft wingspan and weighs 230lbs
We are over here rooting for Castle to be at least 6-4 right now...

So it's okay to fall in love with Sochan despite his questionable shot?
It has been written...
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,730

Post#1610 » by fatlever » Tue May 14, 2024 4:42 pm

To be fair, the Hornets were also picking 13th in that draft not 6th

Completely unrelated to whether or not I think we should take castle at 6... just correcting this ridiculous narrative here.

Sent from my SM-G973U using RealGM mobile app
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets

Post#1611 » by fatlever » Tue May 14, 2024 4:47 pm

Watching a pod from a couple of draft dudes I follow yesterday that were at the combine

Some of their notes on players in our range, they thought Clingan looked awful, does big slow no agility, I said the only good thing about it was it looked like his shot was decent enough that maybe he could shoot 60% from the free throw line. But that his slowness doesn't matter a time because he'll be in drop coverage on every play.

Also said that Sarr did not look the part of the number one pick and that he looked pretty slow as well and got beat by Edey on pretty much every agility drill

And neither were impressed at all with buzelis in person and thought his shot was as bad as advertised.

On the positive side said that Reed Shepherd looked really good and while his 42-in vertical may have been not quite accurate, he definitely looked explosive and the jumper was ridiculous. Same with Dalton

They're both big Ron Holland fans

They didn't really talk about Castle or Dillinger in the pod

JustBuzzin
General Manager
And1: 6,960

Post#1612 » by JustBuzzin » Tue May 14, 2024 5:10 pm

MasterIchiro wrote:
MugzZo wrote:Castles measurement will come out and he should be near 6'4. Thinking of players who he can compare to. Is jalen suggs/Josh hart a decent comp?

Both players remind me of Castle. But how many years before Suggs achieved his current incarnation? Even though more efficient from 3, he will never shoot/make a high volume. And how many years did it take Hart to become this impact player in the playoffs?

Castle will be fine it just depends on fans expectations.

You have to know what we are getting. This guy will start off as a role player who plays defense and plays smart. That alone will help us improve because my goodness does this team need someone who will defend and take pride in playing defense. He makes great cuts to the basket so he will get us easy buckets in that sense. This dude is a high basketball IQ player. This is the exact player coach Lee described in his PC.

Then he has the ability to play PG if Melo goes down with injury. Maybe that's when he can be more aggressive as a scorer and get to the basket. I think his jumpshot will take some time, but I have no question he will work hard to improve it.
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets

Post#1613 » by fatlever » Tue May 14, 2024 5:14 pm

My way too early big board

1. Sarr
2. Risacher
3. Castle
4. Holland
5. Clingan
6. Topic
7. Sheppard
8. Knecht
9. Buzelis
10. Dillingham

Buz is still the big mystery to me. I do like his size, what else does he actually do?

MasterIchiro
RealGM

Post#1614 » by MasterIchiro » Tue May 14, 2024 5:20 pm

JustBuzzin wrote:
MasterIchiro wrote:

You have to know what we are getting. This guy will start off as a role player who plays defense and plays smart. That alone will help us improve because my goodness does this team need someone who will defend and take pride in playing defense. He makes great cuts to the basket so he will get us easy buckets in that sense. This dude is a high basketball IQ player. This is the exact player coach Lee described in his PC.

Then he has the ability to play PG if Melo goes down with injury. Maybe that's when he can be more aggressive as a scorer and get to the basket. I think his jumpshot will take some time, but I have no question he will work hard to improve it.

I really think Charlotte is best for Castle to develop to his fullest potential. We can sandwich him between young elite spacers (LaMelo & Miller) so he can expand his range gradually and with less pressure.

Also, we can develop him more gradually given the 2-way potential and playmaking skills of another young player in Tre Mann. Castle could develop as a SG1 who duals as PG2 like Rozier, adding some overlap efficiency value. But right away Mann is PG2 (or Micic) and we won't have to put the ball in Castle's hands as much as Clifford did Cody Martin whenever we were down at the PG position. That was not ideal and Cody is 28 not 19.

He has so much room to grow at a healthy pace in Charlotte. I hope we select him.
It has been written...
JustBuzzin
General Manager

Post#1615 » by JustBuzzin » Tue May 14, 2024 5:24 pm

MasterIchiro wrote:
JustBuzzin wrote:
MasterIchiro wrote:

I really think Charlotte is best for Castle to develop to his fullest potential. We can sandwich him between young elite spacers (LaMelo & Miller) so he can expand his range gradually and with less pressure.

Also, we can develop him more gradually given the 2-way potential and playmaking skills of another young player in Tre Mann. Castle could develop as a SG1 who duals as PG2 like Rozier, adding some overlap efficiency value. But right away Mann is PG2 (or Micic) and we won't have to put the ball in Castle's hands as much as Clifford did Cody Martin whenever we were down at the PG position. That was not ideal and Cody is 28 not 19.

He has so much room to grow at a healthy pace in Charlotte. I hope we select him.

I'm with you. It's time to change the culture this kid with Miller will help lead us into that change.

Castle's defense will light a spark into the entire starting unit.
SWedd523
RealGM
And1: 5,224

Post#1616 » by SWedd523 » Tue May 14, 2024 5:24 pm

fatlever wrote:My way too early big board

1. Sarr
2. Risacher
3. Castle
4. Holland
5. Clingan
6. Topic
7. Sheppard
8. Knecht
9. Buzelis
10. Dillingham

Buz is still the big mystery to me. I do like his size, what else does he actually do?

I really like Buzz and I don't know why. He just seems like a dude who can roll out of bed and play a great game of basketball. Like a PJ who doesn't have as many lows
MasterIchiro
RealGM

Post#1617 » by MasterIchiro » Tue May 14, 2024 5:28 pm

JustBuzzin wrote:
MasterIchiro wrote:
JustBuzzin wrote:Castle will be fine it just depends on fans expectations.

I'm with you. It's time to change the culture this kid with Miller will help lead us into that change.

Castle's defense will light a spark into the entire starting unit.

Yeah, Castle just doesn't give up on defense. Also, I don't know that I've seen anyone cook him this whole season. He demonstrates the pride required for augmentation of skill in on-ball defense. Being a PG by trade, he sees the floor extremely well. We often forget that court vision could benefit a player on both ends. Many prospects only see the court on one end. They bust unless elite in isolation.
It has been written...
JMAC3
RealGM

Post#1618 » by JMAC3 » Tue May 14, 2024 5:31 pm

MasterIchiro wrote:
JustBuzzin wrote:
MasterIchiro wrote:

I like Castle, but you are basically just pitching us younger Cody Martin.
Big Board
JustBuzzin
General Manager

Post#1619 » by JustBuzzin » Tue May 14, 2024 5:37 pm

JMAC3 wrote:
MasterIchiro wrote:

Cody Martin doesn't have the basketball IQ of Castle. That's the major difference.

I remember in the middle of the season Cody had a legit month stretch of bad basketball. From his turnovers to him just taking so many shots and playing like he was the #1 option.

Castle is not that kind of player mentally. I would say Castle is a better version of Cody Martin. This class as a whole doesn't really have a star. I think people forget that. I think fit will play a big part in this draft.
MasterIchiro
RealGM

Post#1620 » by MasterIchiro » Tue May 14, 2024 5:37 pm

JMAC3 wrote:
MasterIchiro wrote:

Is that what I'm doing? Is there no difference? How do you explain Hollinger ranking Castle #2 overall while Martin was widely considered a reach where selected in the 2nd round?

Why do I feel like something is missing from your storytime here?
It has been written...

Return to Charlotte Hornets