ImageImage

So who do you want as HC for next season?

Moderators: BigSlam, JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben

Rich4114
RealGM
And1: 4,213

Re: So who do you want as HC for next season? 

Post#21 » by Rich4114 » Tue Feb 6, 2024 6:24 pm

I would prefer someone proven, I think Bud fits the bill perfectly plus has rapport with the new owners. It will likely depend on who the next GM is though. What will be interesting to see is will Jordan relinquish his control over decisions or will the new owners force it. I hope it doesn't come to that, because the new GM needs to have full control without MJ hanging over his shoulder.
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 17,970

Post#22 » by Diop » Wed Feb 7, 2024 12:28 am

SWedd523 wrote:I want Chris Quinn. NBA experience as a player, decade of coaching experience, still a young coach but has been with Spoelstra the entire time so hopefully he can get a culture developed and can give Melo some PG viewpoints

Quinn is definitely interesting, I wouldn’t rate his pg skills though.
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 17,970

Post#23 » by Diop » Wed Feb 7, 2024 12:32 am

Bud is a good proven name.

I’d still give Trevor Gleeson a fly as well, smart basketball brain and also skilled in sport psychology and leadership. He’s currently assistant coach at Milwaukee
Braggins
RealGM
And1: 8,165

Post#24 » by Braggins » Wed Feb 7, 2024 1:55 am

Jordi Fernandez with Jay Triano as lead assistant.
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,119

Post#25 » by Liver_Pooty » Wed Feb 7, 2024 2:12 am

Udonis Haslem is going to be a hot name sooner than later.
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
JustBuzzin
General Manager
And1: 6,778

Post#26 » by JustBuzzin » Wed Feb 7, 2024 2:17 am

Liver_Pooty wrote:Udonis Haslem is going to be a hot name sooner than later.

Is he even interested in coaching?

Could have sworn he has a podcast. He was talking about beating up KG and Pierce if he seen them at a grocery store. :lol:
Rich4114
RealGM

Post#27 » by Rich4114 » Wed Feb 7, 2024 3:18 am

Braggins wrote:Jordi Fernandez with Jay Triano as lead assistant.

Why not Triano as HC? He was a big reason our offense was good here and he’s done a good job in Sacramento now.
NCHeels2008
RealGM
And1: 2,658

Post#28 » by NCHeels2008 » Wed Feb 7, 2024 6:56 am

bravor wrote:Well it's not like it works for Billups (unfortunately, i like this guy)

Since i like gambling a bit, why not Becky Hammons ? That could help boosting Hornet's image and she seems to be a skillful coach (not talking about the wnba stuff, talking about the spurs's time on the bench).
Maybe players would grow up faster with a woman as their hc unless respect is a lost thing here.

If they hire Hammon it sure does send mixed messages if Miles sticks around
Braggins
RealGM
And1: 8,165

Post#29 » by Braggins » Wed Feb 7, 2024 11:27 am

Rich4114 wrote:
Braggins wrote:Jordi Fernandez with Jay Triano as lead assistant.

Why not Triano as HC? He was a big reason our offense was good here and he’s done a good job in Sacramento now.

Not sure tbh. He still doesn't seem to have much buzz in terms of getting a head coaching job even though he is getting recognition for what hes done offensively for his last two teams.

Apparently he had a short stint as a head coach back in the day that didn't go very well and hes also a little bit on the older side. He legit seems like an offensive mastermind*, though, so maybe he wasn't a good style fit for previous eras, but could potentially flourish now that the league is trended so hard towards what hes good at.

I would be intrigued if they gave him a shot, but right now Jordi Fernandez is the hot young prospect that seems to be getting the head coaching buzz. Lead assistant would be a promotion for Triano from his current position, so Fernandez promoted to a head coaching job and Triano as his lead assistant feels like a natural progression/setup.

* - I have seriously been blown away by the Triano offense the last few years. What he has done in both Charlotte and Sacramento is kind of wild. It wasn't like hes had an elite franchise behind him or elite talent in either situation. Sacramento's roster is constructed quite a bit differently than the rosters he was working with in Charlotte as well. Getting such elite offensive production in both situations is really impressive. His bag seems really deep and his teams have been extremely fun to watch. Charlotte played beautiful offensive basketball under JB/Triano and its been even better in Sacramento the last two years.

https://thehighlow.io/video/ids?ids=23DgLx23c58L23YW1323NwIl23P1oM23CLaj23wsHw23JXX823a1z523vlWx23znXm23Vdog23JzrQ
Robot Rock
Starter
And1: 940

Post#30 » by Robot Rock » Thu Feb 8, 2024 3:45 am

See if Cliff can get this team to 75 losses in a row before you can him. Maybe 100. I don't think you're doing better than 3-79 next year either way. LaMelo and Miller could put up 50 each and it'd still be a loss.
Snidely FC
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,167

Post#31 » by Snidely FC » Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:07 pm

Snidely FC wrote:Kevin Ollie (Nets Assistant)

Kevin Ollie promoted to interim Head Coach in Brooklyn
woulda been good here
EmpireFalls
Starter
And1: 3,737

Post#32 » by EmpireFalls » Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:29 pm

It’s a really tough question, and honestly I can’t answer until I a) know who’s available and b) know who the GM/FO is
LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,552

Post#33 » by LofJ » Mon Feb 19, 2024 11:12 pm

There is a non-zero chance the team will go after Atkinson again given his connection with Schnall. I'm not sure how I feel about that to be honest. My emotional reaction is *%** that, dude is a snake. But logically if the organization and players like him he might be one of the better candidates for the job.

To be clear though Atkinson is not at the top of my list. I want Budenholzer or Quinn.
lmcguir15
Freshman
And1: 63

Post#34 » by lmcguir15 » Mon Feb 19, 2024 11:21 pm

LofJ wrote:There is a non-zero chance the team will go after Atkinson again given his connection with Schnall. I'm not sure how I feel about that to be honest. My emotional reaction is *%** that, dude is a snake. But logically if the organization and players like him he might be one of the better candidates for the job.

To be clear though Atkinson is not at the top of my list. I want Budenholzer or Quinn.

From what I've heard the Kenny A deal fell through because MJ was being cheap and wanted the current assistants to stay. I have to say, if I was trying to rebuild my image after the BKN stint, I wouldn't risk it on guys I didn't hire.

I would go through a thorough interview and be sure of the hang ups he had, but if you liked him the first time, logic states you should like him the second go around, in terms of what's on paper.

And for a lot of the board, he fits at least the, "he's seen what winning basketball and good talent is". Granted, GS isn't great this year, but gleaning info from Kerr isn't a throwaway. I'd much rather hire Kenny than go with a 4th retread coach.

And I'll echo your final statement like I have on many other threads -- Bud is my #1 dream choice.
"It's true, you can't lose what you don't put in the middle. But you can't win very much either."
Snidely FC
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,167

Post#35 » by Snidely FC » Mon Feb 19, 2024 11:54 pm

What are you guys even talking about Kenny Atkinson and the Hornets should never be used in the same sentence ever again
SWedd523
RealGM
And1: 5,211

Post#36 » by SWedd523 » Tue Feb 20, 2024 12:02 am

Zero percent chance that dirtball gets hired here
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 43,391

Post#37 » by JDR720 » Tue Feb 20, 2024 12:45 am

I'll pass on Atkinson. Would rather keep Clifford for next year than go crawling back to that dude.

I don't think we're getting Budd though. He's waiting for a contender job. After the Bucks coaching screwups this season, it's pretty obvious they made a mistake in firing him.
Rich4114
RealGM

Post#38 » by Rich4114 » Tue Feb 20, 2024 12:59 am

Still have Bud at the top of my list. He just seems like such a perfect fit for where we’re at right now and poised to go. I just have a hard time thinking of someone that would be a known commodity and fits that well. Plus the rapport with the current ownership group. I’m much more thinking about his experience resurrecting Atlanta and having them a top of the East without the best talent.

A dark horse for me is Kerr. It feels like it’s over in GS and he’d be an interesting, proven fit.
-Ian-
Analyst
And1: 856

Post#39 » by -Ian- » Tue Feb 20, 2024 8:06 am

Kenny Atkinson should never have an opportunity to become head coach anywhere in the league.
JustBuzzin
General Manager
And1: 6,778

Post#40 » by JustBuzzin » Tue Feb 20, 2024 12:20 pm

In Bud We Trust

Return to Charlotte Hornets