ImageImage

Prodigal Son: The Miles Bridges Thread

Moderators: BigSlam, JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben

JMAC3
RealGM
And1: 4,278

Re: Prodigal Son: The Miles Bridges Thread 

Post#721 » by JMAC3 » Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:00 pm

He is saying all the right things. I think he wants to play with Melo and he wants to get paid. Which is ideally what we want as well.

If he gets traded to a team like Utah or Phoenix then likely that leaves one less team in the bidding war for his services this summer... Charlotte. Who have 2nd most cap space and one of 5-6 teams that can even offer him 20+ million per year.

It is one of those things that you almost have to trust management on because if they don't plan on paying him anything then yeah trade him, but if you do want to keep him you are probably not getting enough in a trade from anyone to make it worth it. I will be disappointed if he is traded but I will just have to tell myself that means front office had already made up mind.
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
wilson115
Sixth Man
And1: 999

Post#722 » by wilson115 » Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:03 pm

He loses his Bird Rights if he gets traded.

Bridges loses his Bird rights if traded, but can still get paid, like really paid, if he goes to a team with big-time cap space like say the Pistons or Jazz.

Sources informed The Republic the Hornets want picks and the Suns gutted most of their draft future in acquiring Durant and Beal in blockbuster trades. Phoenix has second rounders, but that’s not ideal for Charlotte — right now.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/nba/suns/2024/01/26/sources-phoenix-suns-are-interested-in-miles-bridges-here-are-the-trade-challenges/72361968007/
JustBuzzin
General Manager
And1: 6,820

Post#723 » by JustBuzzin » Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:23 pm

Watching Mikes closely this season and I don't think we should spend big money on him. A couple things have stuck out his basketball IQ is not very high, he will make some questionable passing decisions several times throughout the game. Second his athletic ability seems to have took a step back. This dude use to have a highlight dunks every game. He doesn't look as explosive as he once did.

If we can get a 1st for Miles we have to consider it.
GoBobs
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,538

Post#724 » by GoBobs » Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:25 pm

Trade him for a 1st round pick if you can. If you want to resign in the offseason (preferably after trading him to a team that can't resign), use cap space to offer him the same deal PJ got.

But.... I highly doubt that we trade him for a 1st when he has a pending court date.

The only reason we need to keep his bird rights are if we want to do something like sign a bunch of other free agents and then resign him using the low cap hold on his bird rights. I don't know how legal that is to be honest.
GoBobs
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,538

Post#725 » by GoBobs » Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:27 pm

JustBuzzin wrote:Watching Mikes closely this season and I don't think we should spend big money on him. A couple things have stuck out his basketball IQ is not very high, he will make some questionable passing decisions several times throughout the game. Second his athletic ability seems to have took a step back. This dude use to have a highlight dunks every game. He doesn't look as explosive as he once did.

Not to mention that he has very selective effort on defense and boxing out
JMAC3
RealGM

Post#726 » by JMAC3 » Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:36 pm

JustBuzzin wrote:Watching Mikes closely this season and I don't think we should spend big money on him. A couple things have stuck out his basketball IQ is not very high, he will make some questionable passing decisions several times throughout the game. Second his athletic ability seems to have took a step back. This dude use to have a highlight dunks every game. He doesn't look as explosive as he once did.

I mean the guy didn't play basketball for over a year and he is putting up his most ppg, most rpg, most spg. Shooting the three ball pretty wall compared to his career averages. Probably pushes his average closer to 22 ppg with Melo passing and one less mouth to feed in Terry.
Big Board
JMAC3
RealGM

Post#727 » by JMAC3 » Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:46 pm

JMAC3 wrote:

I mean the guy didn't play basketball for over a year and he is putting up his most ppg, most rpg, most spg. Shooting the three ball pretty wall compared to his career averages. Probably pushes his average closer to 22 ppg with Melo passing and one less mouth to feed in Terry.

For instance, if he was putting up 14 ppg and 5 rpg at 8 million dollars that is probably still a guy teams are calling on and he has been a good deal better than that. If he looked that much worse then yeah give him to a contender for a few picks but he is putting up 15 point quarters. Shooting 68% at the rim on a high % of his shot portfolio (27%).
Big Board
Hornet Mania
General Manager
And1: 7,486

Post#728 » by Hornet Mania » Fri Jan 26, 2024 10:36 pm

That's a stronger statement than I would have expected from Miles, particularly the 'the Hornets have been behind me' and 'I want to be here and that's never going to change' parts.

Of course he should feel some gratitude, imo, the team stuck by him when most would argue he didn't deserve it. I hope it's legit.

I don't see any point in trading him unless we get a haul (unlikely), we have no intention of re-signing him (also unlikely, or we would have torn the band-aid off last summer), or because we strongly believe the next trial is going to end his career (but in that case other teams probably have the same intel).
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,119

Post#729 » by Liver_Pooty » Fri Jan 26, 2024 11:28 pm

source close to the situation described the Suns as feeling very confident they’d be able to get a deal for Miles Bridges across the finish line. Financially speaking, Bridges’ $7.9 million contract would be easy to match by sending Charlotte a combination of Nassir Little’s $6.3 million salary and a veteran minimum player like Chimezie Metu ($2.3 million), Yuta Watanabe ($2.3 million) or Bol Bol ($2.2 million). 18 mins ago – via gophnx.com

****, while we're at it just trade him for some chex mix
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
SWedd523
RealGM
And1: 5,211

Post#730 » by SWedd523 » Fri Jan 26, 2024 11:33 pm

id rather just let him expire lol
Benjamin Linus
Veteran
And1: 1,268

Post#731 » by Benjamin Linus » Fri Jan 26, 2024 11:39 pm

Bridges for Grayson Allen and the 21st pick works but still ain't enough
Liver_Pooty
RealGM

Post#732 » by Liver_Pooty » Fri Jan 26, 2024 11:39 pm

SWedd523 wrote:id rather just let him expire lol

Only thing attainable Suns have that I'd want is Grayson Allen. Would be nice to have more elite shooting.

Article above talking about nassir little and Yuta. Lol **** out of here.
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
Liver_Pooty
RealGM

Post#733 » by Liver_Pooty » Fri Jan 26, 2024 11:39 pm

Benjamin Linus wrote:Bridges for Grayson Allen and the 21st pick works but still ain't enough

I think thats a deal we would consider.
Walt Cronkite
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 562

Post#734 » by Walt Cronkite » Fri Jan 26, 2024 11:42 pm

Getting resources for him would be great because I expect the franchise to get nothing. So disappointing, so fun to watch a couple of seasons ago but I’m ready for him to be gone.
Bassman
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,558

Post#735 » by Bassman » Fri Jan 26, 2024 11:48 pm

Liver_Pooty wrote:
Benjamin Linus wrote:Bridges for Grayson Allen and the 21st pick works but still ain't enough

Indeed that trade is very doable depending on the pick conditions. Nas Little is a NON STARTER for me. He brings nothing but 3 more years of mediocrity.
I continue to wait...and hope...for the return to Hornet's glory.
luciano-davidwesley
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,264

Post#736 » by luciano-davidwesley » Sat Jan 27, 2024 12:19 am

Liver_Pooty wrote:source close to the situation described the Suns as feeling very confident they’d be able to get a deal for Miles Bridges across the finish line. Financially speaking, Bridges’ $7.9 million contract would be easy to match by sending Charlotte a combination of Nassir Little’s $6.3 million salary and a veteran minimum player like Chimezie Metu ($2.3 million), Yuta Watanabe ($2.3 million) or Bol Bol ($2.2 million). 18 mins ago – via gophnx.com

****, while we're at it just trade him for some chex mix

Haha Phoenix have nothing we'd want. They've got the sorriest future draft pick situation in the whole NBA. :lol:

Outside of Grayson Allen, Durant and Booker (maybe Nurkic too)they have nothing remotely interesting. Obviously Durant and Booker are going nowhere.

The only thing I can think of that works financially is Miles, Bouknight and Frank for Allen, Watanabe and Goodwin plus every second Phoenix own.
luciano-davidwesley
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,264

Post#737 » by luciano-davidwesley » Sat Jan 27, 2024 12:22 am

Liver_Pooty wrote:

I thought they couldn't deal firsts due to the Stepien rule?
Liver_Pooty
RealGM

Post#738 » by Liver_Pooty » Sat Jan 27, 2024 12:32 am

luciano-davidwesley wrote:
Liver_Pooty wrote:

I thought they couldn't deal firsts due to the Stepien rule?

Yeah true. It'd have to be Allen and some 2nds. Or a 2nd. The way Allen has shot the ball this season I'd probably pull the trigger.
CuseMayne
Sixth Man
And1: 1,377

Post#739 » by CuseMayne » Sat Jan 27, 2024 1:12 am

I personally want nothing to do with Grayson Allen's scumbag ass.
Liver_Pooty
RealGM

Post#740 » by Liver_Pooty » Sat Jan 27, 2024 1:23 am

CuseMayne wrote:I personally want nothing to do with Grayson Allen's scumbag ass.

Well at least he didn't beat his woman half to death.

He's also shooting 50 40 90 and leading the league with 48% shooting from deep.

Return to Charlotte Hornets