ImageImage

2024 Draft Prospects

Moderators: yosemiteben, BigSlam, JDR720, Diop, fatlever

GoBobs
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,558

Re: 2024 Draft Prospects 

Post#861 » by GoBobs » Tue Apr 2, 2024 2:59 am

Snidely FC wrote:regardless it would be a shame to use a Top 10 pick on insurance or a backup player

there are other prospects in this draft to take an upside swing at before either of those Centers

Edey will be a superstar. His floor is Gobert and his ceiling is Goat.
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 18,013

Post#862 » by Diop » Tue Apr 2, 2024 3:06 am

GoBobs wrote:
Snidely FC wrote:regardless it would be a shame to use a Top 10 pick on insurance or a backup player

there are other prospects in this draft to take an upside swing at before either of those Centers

wow thats a big call.

im not sold, but i am interested to see how he turns out
JustBuzzin
General Manager
And1: 7,232

Post#863 » by JustBuzzin » Tue Apr 2, 2024 3:13 am

GoBobs wrote:

:banghead:
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#864 » by Diop » Tue Apr 2, 2024 3:17 am

its just an opinion JB, relax buddy
GoBobs
Assistant Coach

Post#865 » by GoBobs » Tue Apr 2, 2024 3:25 am

Diop wrote:
GoBobs wrote:

wow thats a big call.

im not sold, but i am interested to see how he turns out

Most bigs have their best years at 28-32. Edey is 21.

Most bigs his size at 21 you are saying, when he gains some muscle he is going come into his own.

Edey is already a beast at 300 lb. He has tree trunk legs which is why nobody can move him. If he gains another 10% he will be at 330 and nobody will be able to handle him.

Everyone keeps talking about his defensive limitations. He has them and what everyone is saying is going to be true to some extent. But think about how many good players in the NBA today can't defend.

Trae Young
Luka
LaMelo
Joker
Lauri
Brunson
Randle

Also every talks about how the increased spacing is going to make it hard for Edey on defense, but no one talks about how it will make the game easier for him on offense.

The only way to slow him down in the college game is to swarm him. That will be harder with better spacing. No one has been able to stop Edey one v one. The refs will be able to see the fouls on him easier with better spacing.

There is a real chance he is even better in the NBA then he has been in college, and he has a good argument for the goat in college, esp if he wins this chip.
GoBobs
Assistant Coach

Post#866 » by GoBobs » Tue Apr 2, 2024 3:26 am

JustBuzzin wrote:
GoBobs wrote:

:banghead:

bro, you need to jump on this bandwagon before it's to late. There is still a seat for you.
SWedd523
RealGM
And1: 5,241

Post#867 » by SWedd523 » Tue Apr 2, 2024 10:07 am

GoBobs wrote:

April Fools!
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#868 » by Diop » Tue Apr 2, 2024 11:00 am

SWedd523 wrote:
GoBobs wrote:

April Fools!

Gobert is the right comparison I think, if he’s more mobile than him, why can’t edey succeed in the nba?
bravor
Starter
And1: 748

Post#869 » by bravor » Tue Apr 2, 2024 11:40 am

Gobert had no offense and was thin as hell when he was drafted. He used to flop in our league when he was defending the low post.
I think the right comparison should be Yao, knowing it was a whole other time in the nba. With current rules, pace and switch defense (etc), i just don't see any real impact from Edey, especially in play offs. In regular season, he could perform on the stats columns, but in play offs, lets remain serious. He will have a target on each offense to get switched or moved away from the rim (ala Drummond).

Ncaa is a subpar level, we saw him in action in last U19. Canadian coach had to bench him because he was hurting his NT's chances against top teams.

I 'd rather gamble on Holland because of his intangibles and despite his poor IQ basket. Or on Almansa (he's worth more than what he - did not - show with the gleague) if Hornets move down.

Anyway, there is no reason to get mad of any choices (baring a Bennett 2.0) since it's really tough to find even a future nba veteran among those prospects.
As someone said here, it might be the year when Hornets get the 1st with really nothing to cheer for (2015 would be a whole other story)
SWedd523
RealGM
And1: 5,241

Post#870 » by SWedd523 » Tue Apr 2, 2024 11:45 am

Diop wrote:
SWedd523 wrote:
GoBobs wrote:

April Fools!

Gobert is the right comparison I think, if he’s more mobile than him, why can’t edey succeed in the nba?

Am I really having to explain why I think it's silly to say a guy who might not be a lotto pick in a weak draft is at his FLOOR a multiple time DPOY, All-NBA, All-Star?
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#871 » by Diop » Tue Apr 2, 2024 11:48 am

SWedd523 wrote:
Diop wrote:
SWedd523 wrote:April Fools!

Am I really having to explain why I think it's silly to say a guy who might not be a lotto pick in a weak draft is at his FLOOR a multiple time DPOY, All-NBA, All-Star?

Nah I mean can he be a reasonable pick if he’s more mobile than gobert?

I genuinely can’t decide and this is where my head is currently at.
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#872 » by Diop » Tue Apr 2, 2024 11:51 am

bravor wrote:Gobert had no offense and was thin as hell when he was drafted. He used to flop in our league when he was defending the low post.
I think the right comparison should be Yao, knowing it was a whole other time in the nba. With current rules, pace and switch defense (etc), i just don't see any real impact from Edey, especially in play offs. In regular season, he could perform on the stats columns, but in play offs, lets remain serious. He will have a target on each offense to get switched or moved away from the rim (ala Drummond).

Ncaa is a subpar level, we saw him in action in last U19. Canadian coach had to bench him because he was hurting his NT's chances against top teams.

I 'd rather gamble on Holland because of his intangibles and despite his poor IQ basket. Or on Almansa (he's worth more than what he - did not - show with the gleague) if Hornets move down.

Anyway, there is no reason to get mad of any choices (baring a Bennett 2.0) since it's really tough to find even a future nba veteran among those prospects.
As someone said here, it might be the year when Hornets get the 1st with really nothing to cheer for (2015 would be a whole other story)

I mainly meant Gobert as current player comparison when considering the comments that he’s too slow for the nba.

I’m not sold on anyone in this draft, I’m really struggling to pick a personal favourite
GoBobs
Assistant Coach

Post#873 » by GoBobs » Tue Apr 2, 2024 12:22 pm

SWedd523 wrote:
Diop wrote:
SWedd523 wrote:April Fools!

I am saying that because Edey is a much better prospect than Gobert was. Edey is a lot bigger and a lot more mobile.

Gobert:
Lane agility - 12.85
3/4 court sprint - 3.57
standing vert - 25
Max vert - 29

When Gobert was tested he was 7' 0.05" without shoes and 237 lb

Edey:
Lane agility - 11.37
3/4 court sprint - 3.45
standing vet - 26
max vert 29.5

When Edey was tested he was 7' 3.25" without shoes and 306 lb

Gobert himself was picked 27th overall.
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 43,428

Post#874 » by JDR720 » Tue Apr 2, 2024 12:26 pm

I don't think he's Gobert. One of the reasons Gobert is exploitable in the playoffs is he can't score outside of dunks and layoffs.

Edey is more like Brook Lopez, but without the jumpshot.
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#875 » by JDR720 » Tue Apr 2, 2024 12:36 pm

And I still think people are just assuming he isn't mobile enough to defend.

Like I said a couple pages ago, there are plenty of C's like Edey in the league already.

His role on defense is to be really big, defend the paint and rebound.

Look at the Bucks early in the season when they tried to have Lopez guard the perimeter. As shocking as it is, 7+ foot 300 pound bigs aren't good at defending the perimeter. Let them guard the paint and have a good defensive scheme, and they can be very effective though.

Edey has lost some weight this season too. He's down to like 290. Which is still huge, but his mobility numbers should be better too.

Drummond isn't a good defender, because despite being very big, he's also very dumb and looks for rebounds instead of playing defense half the time.

By all accounts, Edey is a high IQ player.
JMAC3
RealGM
And1: 4,426

Post#876 » by JMAC3 » Tue Apr 2, 2024 12:48 pm

If we are sold on Edey, might as well just pick the other elite college players right? I mean what is the difference between him and Knect, Terrance Shannon, Mark Sears and Jaedon LeDee. Those are the 5 best college players right now at major programs. Should they go picks 1-5?

Oh wait, you mean to tell me the best college players are never the best NBA players? Wild.
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#877 » by JDR720 » Tue Apr 2, 2024 12:50 pm

JMAC3 wrote:If we are sold on Edey, might as well just pick the other elite college players right? I mean what is the difference between him and Knect, Terrance Shannon, Mark Sears and Jaedon LeDee. Those are the 5 best college players right now at major programs. Should they go picks 1-5?

Oh wait, you mean to tell me the best college players are never the best NBA players? Wild.

You really like to strawman, don't you?
JMAC3
RealGM

Post#878 » by JMAC3 » Tue Apr 2, 2024 12:57 pm

JDR720 wrote:
JMAC3 wrote:If we are sold on Edey, might as well just pick the other elite college players right? I mean what is the difference between him and Knect, Terrance Shannon, Mark Sears and Jaedon LeDee. Those are the 5 best college players right now at major programs. Should they go picks 1-5?

Please tell me the difference between Edey and these other Seniors that make him better?
or better yet the difference between Drew Timme and Luka Garza who dominated in college as big men.

You can call it a strawman, but the best players in college end up good players in the NBA like 10% of the time. And we often do the same thing... try to go against the grain and find the guys to break the mold. Edey and Garza have nearly the same statistical progression years 1-4. Both made big jumps their junior years and dominated senior season. Garza even had a decent 3 ball in college.
GoBobs
Assistant Coach

Post#879 » by GoBobs » Tue Apr 2, 2024 1:23 pm

JMAC3 wrote:
JDR720 wrote:

Please tell me the difference between Edey and these other Seniors that make him better?
or better yet the difference between Drew Timme and Luka Garza who dominated in college as big men.

You can call it a strawman, but the best players in college end up good players in the NBA like 10% of the time. And we often do the same thing... try to go against the grain and find the guys to break the mold. Edey and Garza have nearly the same statistical progression years 1-4. Both made big jumps their junior years and dominated senior season. Garza even had a decent 3 ball in college.

Garza is 6'10'' with an 8'11'' standing reach. Timme is 6'8.75" with a 9'0.5" standing reach. Those guys are undersized post players. Easy to see why that might not translate.

Edey is 7'3.25" with a 9'7.5" standing reach.
JMAC3
RealGM

Post#880 » by JMAC3 » Tue Apr 2, 2024 1:31 pm

GoBobs wrote:
JMAC3 wrote:
JDR720 wrote:You really like to strawman, don't you?

Garza is 6'10'' with an 8'11'' standing reach. Timme is 6'8.75" with a 9'0.5" standing reach. Those guys are undersized post players. Easy to see why that might not translate.

Edey is 7'3.25" with a 9'7.5" standing reach.

So you are saying the only difference between them is size? so the only premise behind Edey being better is because he is huge. What could go wrong.

Return to Charlotte Hornets