countryboi
Head Coach
And1: 1,303

Re: 2013 NBA draft prospects chatter 

Post#561 » by countryboi » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:37 pm

Fred Williamson wrote:from wiretap

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/22 ... Draft_Pick

what do you guys think about this?

its not going to do us any good because everyone knows this draft sucks and are not going to give anything to move up. I think we are in it to win it unless someone falls in love with a player
The Cut Podcast, An Hilarious barbershop style discussion podcast. Watch us on Youtube and listen to us on all major Podcast Platforms. https://linktr.ee/thecut_podcast
KembaWalker
General Manager
And1: 10,748

Post#562 » by KembaWalker » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:42 pm

_tijo_ wrote:Can't trade the pick at all this year, since we owe Chicago a future first. Since that pick could be next year, can't trade a pick this year at all. Only thing we could do is remove the protection on our pick and give it to Chicago this year. Nice reporting Bonnell.

can trade it on draft night, just picking for someone else. you might be able to trade it after the lottery show when the positions are finalized. not sure about that though
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,540

Post#563 » by HornetJail » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:03 pm

KembaWalker wrote:
_tijo_ wrote:Can't trade the pick at all this year, since we owe Chicago a future first. Since that pick could be next year, can't trade a pick this year at all. Only thing we could do is remove the protection on our pick and give it to Chicago this year. Nice reporting Bonnell.

can trade it on draft night, just picking for someone else. you might be able to trade it after the lottery show when the positions are finalized. not sure about that though

Yep, after it's confirmed that our pick is inside the top 12, it's our pick to trade.

Theoretically, I believe we could trade the 1-12 rights to our pick at any point, the same way Toronto traded Kyle Lowry. If a team is confident enough that we wouldn't make a run at the playoffs, they might go for a deal like this.
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
MPM
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,710

Post#564 » by MPM » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:23 pm

Sorry, I haven't done the math in awhile, but does anyone know how much cap room we'll have over the summer? I'm thinking the Jazz would absolutely jump at the chance to turn Big Al into a top 4 straight up - getting rid of his salary, moving Kanter/Favors into the starting 5 and bringing on a backcourt dynamo like Bazz or Ben M..

Personally, I'd rather stay put and take Bazz, but there are likely some deals to be had if we want to play that game.
_tijo_
Hornets Forum Mock Draft Co-Champ
And1: 335

Post#565 » by _tijo_ » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:48 pm

CHA_77_Bobcats wrote:
KembaWalker wrote:

Yep, after it's confirmed that our pick is inside the top 12, it's our pick to trade.

Theoretically, I believe we could trade the 1-12 rights to our pick at any point, the same way Toronto traded Kyle Lowry. If a team is confident enough that we wouldn't make a run at the playoffs, they might go for a deal like this.

No, the point is that in the 2014, we might have to trade our pick to Chicago, because we may owe it to them based on our finish. So we can't trade our 2013 pick because of the no consecutive rule.

We can do the draft day deal where we pick for someone else, and then officially execute the trade after that. But just because we officially have the pick this year, doesn't mean that we can trade it because of the future owed Chicago pick.
Who I woulda took:
2022: Duren | 2021: Bouknight, Jones | 2020: Ball | 2019: PJ | 2018: Porter Jr | 2017: Monk | 2016: Damian Jones | 2015: Winslow | 2014: Vonleh, Napier | 2013: McLemore | 2012: MKG | 2011: Knight, Kawhi
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,628

Post#566 » by fatlever » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:00 pm

tijo is correct. same as it was last year. we can only make a trade after the pick has been made.

weak draft should not dictate if we trade the pick. a weak draft will offer weak offers for the pick. you make the deal that helps the team best in the long run.
catch20two
RealGM
And1: 4,666

Post#567 » by catch20two » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:11 pm

I disagree with Bonnell and don't like the idea of trading the pick because even though this upcoming draft is considered a weak class I believe that Shabazz Muhammad, Nerlens Noel, and Anthony Bennett will all have a floor of at least a borderline all-star career in the NBA.
They will wage war against the Lamb but the Lamb will triumph them because he is Lord of lords and King of kings - and with him will be his called, chosen and faithful followers." Revelation 17:14 (NIV)
James Gatz
Veteran
And1: 693

Post#568 » by James Gatz » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:34 pm

I haven't watched him play a whole game yet but I really hope this McLemore guy can really turn into an elite scorer because he seems to be exactly what our back court needs. ESPN compared him to Brandon Rush on a bunch of different occasions. If that's the case I don't really want him top 5. Are the Rush comparisons accurate?

Shabazz also may be better but I really feel we need a shooter at the 2 spot. We already have spacing issues as it is. Also I really wish there was a better 2 way big in the class. If we end up picking something like 5 to 7 I'd be happy with Zeller who I still think is a good fit with Biz.

As for the PDX pick I think there are couple potential guys who could be good for us. Isiah Austin is interesting and despite his small frame he's still a 7 footer who can hit a 3pt shot.
catch20two
RealGM

Post#569 » by catch20two » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:50 pm

I don't think we necessarily need a lights-out shooter at SG. We just need a player with size that can dribble the ball, create his own shot, and impose his will as a scorer. Of course we don't need another MKG on the wing that's reluctant to shoot but I want a player that is aggressive at the point of attack when he get the ball. That's why I've became very high on Shabazz Muhammad after watching him in a few games this year. That kid has a knack for scoring in a variety of ways.
They will wage war against the Lamb but the Lamb will triumph them because he is Lord of lords and King of kings - and with him will be his called, chosen and faithful followers." Revelation 17:14 (NIV)
MPM
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,710

Post#570 » by MPM » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:56 pm

Guys - keep in mind that Bazz is shooting 45% from the three this year. He can shoot. McLemore 43%. MKG shot 25% at Kentucky.

I'm very high on Bazz.
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,054

Post#571 » by Liver_Pooty » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:28 pm

I have no idea why Bonnell compared Muhammed to MKG. Muhammed can actually shoot.
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
catch20two
RealGM

Post#572 » by catch20two » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:37 pm

Liver_Pooty wrote:I have no idea why Bonnell compared Muhammed to MKG. Muhammed can actually shoot.

Bonnell is a idiot. Anything outside of Bobcats starting lineups, I don't pay him any attention. Despite what those scouts are saying, Shabazz Muhammad is the real deal. He'll be a 20 PPG scorer in the NBA. The questionable part about his game is will he contribute in any other area.
James Gatz
Veteran
And1: 693

Post#573 » by James Gatz » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:00 am

MPM wrote:Guys - keep in mind that Bazz is shooting 45% from the three this year. He can shoot. McLemore 43%. MKG shot 25% at Kentucky.

I'm very high on Bazz.

Not to get down on him but that percentage is inflated. I'd be really surprised to see it at that point come seasons end.
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 8,358

Post#574 » by BigSlam » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:51 am

Liver_Pooty wrote:I have no idea why Bonnell compared Muhammed to MKG. Muhammed can actually shoot.

He didn't. One of the mystery scouts did.

Of course that doesn't change the fact that Bonnell is fool.
B B M F 'ers
JMAC3
General Manager
And1: 4,164

Post#575 » by JMAC3 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:26 am

I can see why some people have compared MKG and Shabazz based off they kind of buckets they get. If you watch Shabazz play he is kind of a junkyard type player with putbacks and is a good player on the fastbreak. He also scores on a wide array of funky looking shots in the paint much like Kidd-Gilchrist.

That said Shabazz and MKG have a lot of differences as well. Shabazz defiantly has the better shooting stroke and overall a better scorer. Where as MKG is a much better rebounder and defender.
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
JMAC3
General Manager
And1: 4,164

Post#576 » by JMAC3 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:52 am

As Far as my big board right now...
1. Ben McLemore

2. Shabazz Muhammad

3. Cody Zeller
4. Nerlens Noel
5. Anthony Bennett
6. Alex Len

7. Everybody else... who cares.

so I can see maybe trying to deal this years pick for a young stud or a good package of players. Especially if our pick is outside top 3.

List of players I would be calling about... (no order)
Bradley Beal- I love MKG, but I still was on the Beal bandwagon last year.
Derrick Favors- We could find some minutes for this guy finally.
Paul George- he is a 6'10'' shooting guard guys.
Greg Monroe- Would be a good fit with Biz and Detroit seems to like Drummond more.
Blake Griffin- May want a more complete player and also saves them money.
Kevin Love- Minny might get feed up with injuries, trades have been mentioned before, and his stats are down.
Steph Curry- Just start him at the two, and give us more ball movement
Rudy Gay- just because we could
Anthony Davis- maybe they think he is fragile, already have Anderson, or who knows
Lamarcus Aldridge- Portland might decide a more desperate rebuild is necessary
Demarcus Cousins- Kings pretty much hate him and him and Biz would be dope.
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
BlackOutBuzz
Hornets Forum Capologist
And1: 2,970

Post#577 » by BlackOutBuzz » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:53 am

McLemore rolled his ankle in the closing moments of the Kansas/Baylor game, looks like he'll be fine though.

http://pics.lockerz.com/s/276975075

I haven't done a lot of draft talk here but I really like this kid, took no time at all to jump into my top 5 prospects (and become my top Mc-prefix prospect, what the heck is up with McAdoo anyway?). Makes me wonder what Kansas would've looked like last year with this kid, I certainly prefer him over T-Rob or Withey as far as prospects go.

Based on this thread I need to take a closer look at Bennett. Looking on what little I've seen I have concerns that he's a 3-4 tweener a la Derrick Williams: all the talent in the world, but possibly without a true position at the NBA level. Maybe I'm wrong though.

My current top 5...

1. Bazz
2. Noel
3. McLemore
4. Zeller
5. Len
Hornets Picks by Year
2021: Bouknight, Jones, Thor, Lewis

Protection on future 1st* (to NYK); 2nds
2022: 1-18; CHA (31-55), TOR 2 (55-60)
2023: 1-16; BOS (GH)
2024: 1-14; BOS (GH)
2025: 1-14; CHA (31-55)
*Becomes two 2nds if unconveyed
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,540

Post#578 » by HornetJail » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:03 am

JMAC3 wrote:List of players I would be calling about... (no order)
Bradley Beal- I love MKG, but I still was on the Beal bandwagon last year.
Beal hasn't been very good so far, but pairing him with MKG would definitely be worth looking into.
Derrick Favors- We could find some minutes for this guy finally.
Agreed. I think they'd need to throw us a bit more incentive though.
Paul George- he is a 6'10'' shooting guard guys.
Him and MKG would be absolutely nuts in 3 years. I'd probably do it, but I think he might be a bit overhyped.
Greg Monroe- Would be a good fit with Biz and Detroit seems to like Drummond more.
Him and Biz in the frontcourt would be sick. I think Detroit loves him to death though.
Blake Griffin- May want a more complete player and also saves them money.
HAHAHAHA keep dreaming.
Kevin Love- Minny might get feed up with injuries, trades have been mentioned before, and his stats are down.
See: Griffin, Blake
Steph Curry- Just start him at the two, and give us more ball movement
I doubt Golden State breaks up their backcourt for anything short of a superstar. I'd love it though.
Rudy Gay- just because we could
No. Let's steer clear of that contract. Gay isn't even that good to begin with.
Anthony Davis- maybe they think he is fragile, already have Anderson, or who knows
Same as Griffin or Love.
Lamarcus Aldridge- Portland might decide a more desperate rebuild is necessary
It's something to look into, but it's still only slightly more likely than us trading for Blake Griffin.
Demarcus Cousins- Kings pretty much hate him and him and Biz would be dope.
yes yes yes yes. Probably my number one target. If he gets his head on straight, he could be the Shaq of the PF position.
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
Eoghan
RealGM
And1: 3,293

Post#579 » by Eoghan » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:25 am

I'm still not sure if I'm quite sold on McLemore yet but I'll tell you this much, I like him a lot better than Beal.

I just hope that if we get the Portland pick this year that we get a guy that absolutely can rebound the **** out of the ball. But the only guy I think will be an elite rebounder in the NBA is Noel right now. Len isn't athletic enough, Z-rex will get pushed around, Austin is a praying mantis in goggles, Steven Adams is too raw, Gobert is le bean pole, and then there's a slew of undersized tweeners like Bennett, Poythress, McAdoo, Leslie, Mitchell, etc.
TheKingofSting
RealGM
And1: 2,163

Post#580 » by TheKingofSting » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:48 am

ESPN's Jay Williams thinks McLemore will be a legit 2 at the pro level to watch for years. I tend to agree I think when workouts etc. and everything is all said and done that McLemore will be the #1 pick in this upcoming draft. They said his ankle turn was nasty and I see that after seeing the pic above, it will be a day or two depending on how it swells before they can x-ray it I think.
President of the Quinn Cook Fan Club

Bradley Beal has D Wade potential

Return to Charlotte Hornets