ImageImage

The 2013 free agency thread.

Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

James Gatz
Veteran
And1: 693

Re: The free agency thread. 

Post#61 » by James Gatz » Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:58 am

Honestly they wouldn't think that long but leave us hanging with our capspace in purgatory.

Glen Taylor has been spending on a mediocre product for years, he won't break it up the minute they're relevant.

Well right now they have $49,399,415 committed to the cap next year with 10 players under contract. If we offered Pek 12 million they would be already well over the cap when you also factor in draft picks. Probably somewhere around 66ish million.

I also don't know if I'd consider them relevant either. They have some fun players and have had bad luck with injuries but they aren't going to be making the playoffs this year.

Do you want to invest that much money into a the same team that didn't even make playoff?
James Gatz
Veteran

Post#62 » by James Gatz » Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:59 am

Still they would more likely than not match but Pek would be a great fit and worth taking the risk especially in a year where no great bigs for our system are available.
Elden Payton
RealGM
And1: 2,591

Post#63 » by Elden Payton » Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:14 am

Jefferson is the perfect big for our team imo.
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,053

Post#64 » by Liver_Pooty » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:06 pm

I want to pick up this guy from D League ASAP

http://www.nba.com/dleague/playerfile/t ... shengelia/
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,623

Post#65 » by fatlever » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:10 pm

Liver_Pooty wrote:I want to pick up this guy from D League ASAP

he is a Nets player. they drafted him in 2nd round.
James Gatz
Veteran

Post#66 » by James Gatz » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:48 pm

fatlever wrote:
Liver_Pooty wrote:I want to pick up this guy from D League ASAP

he is a Nets player. they drafted him in 2nd round.

Watched him play a lot in summer league. Played really well there.
Elden Payton
RealGM

Post#67 » by Elden Payton » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:57 am

James Gatz wrote:
Honestly they wouldn't think that long but leave us hanging with our capspace in purgatory.

Glen Taylor has been spending on a mediocre product for years, he won't break it up the minute they're relevant.

Well right now they have $49,399,415 committed to the cap next year with 10 players under contract. If we offered Pek 12 million they would be already well over the cap when you also factor in draft picks. Probably somewhere around 66ish million.

I also don't know if I'd consider them relevant either. They have some fun players and have had bad luck with injuries but they aren't going to be making the playoffs this year.

Do you want to invest that much money into a the same team that didn't even make playoff?

I actually forgot to reply to this excellent post, it poses some great questions and I'd like to answer them.

Pekovic will get an offer of 10-13m easily, look at the major cake thrown around in free agency despite the lockout! Roy Hibbert anyone????????? The exact reason teams would offer him big money is the same reason GM's go gaga to keep guys like him...they don't grow on trees...though they grow like trees.

Josh Smith wants the max dammit! lol and the saddest thing is he will get it...Why this has anything to do with Pekovic is that David Kahn will probably go near max to keep him as he is a Restricted Free Agent...The owners nor the players seemed to have learnt their lesson and the NBA universe has gone crazy...Even with the capspace we have, we would still have to sign and trade to get him...hardly a "Free Agent"

Pekovic is 26 years old and in his second NBA season averaging 13.9 points, 7.4 rebounds and 0.7 blocks in 27mpg...I really like him and he's a better scoring, more athletic Omer Asik who is a very good player in his own right but giving Asik 8m was a gamble before his production this season and Pekovic will nearly twice the gamble (though as mentioned is probably the better player but is he TWICE the player?)

As mentioned I really liked him and he was a great player in Europe and is and will be a very good NBA player but is he near max good?

Al Jefferson I'm sure wants a home long term, 3 seasons with Boston, 3 seasons with Minnesota and now 3 with Utah, he has gone from the extremities of being the future of the Celtics, to the centerpiece of THE Kevin Garnett trade, to signing a cut price deal with Minny as both a gesture of loyalty that had made HIM the replacement of Kevin Garnett and the fact that he himself said "I haven't really proven myself"...

to being traded for Kosta Koufos and two draft picks...

He is in a team that suits his style and he produces great for them and despite being a year or two into his prime as a bigman they have been drafting and trading for replacements? He will leave and I don't doubt he will sign on a decent contract for a team that shows him loyalty.

We should offer him 12-14m over 5 years with a no trade clause and a trade kicker, he would sign this deal imo to be the centerpiece of a young team that has oozes of potential, some good vets in Gordon and Sessions, a great front court fit with Biyombo/Noel(?), Adrien and even Mullens(lol) and best of all no real post threat.

Kemba
Henderson(QO)
Gilchrist
Jefferson
Noel/Biyombo

or

Kemba
McLemore/Shabazz
Gilchrist
Jefferson
Biyombo

Jefferson is a great post player and a 20/10 double-double machine, he can play both the 4 and 5 and plays competent defense...he is also the best post scorer in the NBA imo.

Despite this he has never been an all-star...travesty, people can argue team success but Boston sucked his rookie year and despite playoffs in his second and third season(his breakout year) they were nowhere near their peak as a team(even though ECF), Minny flat out blew post Garnett fallout and I'm glad he's at Utah but they have really overlooked/disrespected him imo as the league has.

Seriously if we wanted to make a big signing by overpaying for someone and the options are (Mayo 12m,) Smith 16m, Pekovic 12m, Millsap 13m or Jefferson for 13m honestly who do you go for.

OJ listed in parentheses as not a big and not as likely.

End rant/
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 17,833

Post#68 » by Diop » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:18 pm

That second team is what I was hoping for.

Would anyone reconsider blatche with his improved play?
Elden Payton
RealGM

Post#69 » by Elden Payton » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:30 pm

I take either to be honest although admittedly the second is well balanced.

If that team is a playoff team there is no way we've ruined our rebuild.

Kemba/Shabazz-McLemore/Gilchrist/Jefferson/Biyombo has nasty upside.
catch20two
RealGM
And1: 4,666

Post#70 » by catch20two » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:25 pm

Sachmo wrote:Would anyone reconsider blatche with his improved play?

For $6-8 million per for up to 3 years, yes!
They will wage war against the Lamb but the Lamb will triumph them because he is Lord of lords and King of kings - and with him will be his called, chosen and faithful followers." Revelation 17:14 (NIV)
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,540

Post#71 » by HornetJail » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:33 pm

Of course!
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
ZackB23
Senior
And1: 34

Post#72 » by ZackB23 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:44 pm

Sachmo wrote:That second team is what I was hoping for.

No because he will not be happy about playing for the worst team in the league in our Bobcats. The reason his play is improved is because he is motivated to be playing for a winning team.
catch20two
RealGM

Post#73 » by catch20two » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:00 pm

ZackB23 wrote:
Sachmo wrote:That second team is what I was hoping for.

No because he will not be happy about playing for the worst team in the league in our Bobcats. The reason his play is improved is because he is motivated to be playing for a winning team.

As long as Blatche is in shape he'll be okay and well worth $6-8 million for somebody with his size. His downfall last season was coming into the season out of shape after the lockout. Otherwise his current play for Brooklyn isn't completely a product of playing for a winning team but more so his trajectory of development and maturity. It's not like he wasn't putting up decent numbers of production while with the Wizards from 2009-2011. The lockout year doomed him more than you know.
They will wage war against the Lamb but the Lamb will triumph them because he is Lord of lords and King of kings - and with him will be his called, chosen and faithful followers." Revelation 17:14 (NIV)
chrbal
RealGM
And1: 1,651

Post#74 » by chrbal » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:55 pm

i don't think i was in favor of bringing him in to Charlotte, the fact that the Nets got Andray for less then a million blows my mind.
HornetJail
RealGM

Post#75 » by HornetJail » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:57 pm

chrbal wrote:i don't think i was in favor of bringing him in to Charlotte, the fact that the Nets got Andray for less then a million blows my mind.

Nobody wanted him. He was known as a bigger cancer than Michael Beasley. The guy's talented as **** and I would've been thrilled to pick him up minus the motivation issues, but you know we couldn't roll with both him and Tyrus pouting all season. It's players like him that made guys with "motivation issues" like Drummond fall in the draft.
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
BlackOutBuzz
Hornets Forum Capologist
And1: 2,970

Post#76 » by BlackOutBuzz » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:02 am

San Antonio, New Orleans, Charlotte, Indiana and Dallas have been monitoring the rehab of Greg Oden and are in the running for his services, according to sources. ESPN.com

Oden is preparing for a return to the NBA next season, with Miami and Cleveland earlier reported as the frontrunners to land the 7-footer. Several clubs have been in touch with Oden's representatives about possibly signing him this year, according to league sources. ESPN.com

Chris Broussard: In addition 2 Heat & Cavs, San Antonio, New Orleans, Charlotte, Indiana & Dallas r interested in Greg Oden, sources say. Decision n 3-4 wks Twitter @Chris_Broussard

http://hoopshype.com/rumors/tag/charlotte_bobcats
Hornets Picks by Year
2021: Bouknight, Jones, Thor, Lewis

Protection on future 1st* (to NYK); 2nds
2022: 1-18; CHA (31-55), TOR 2 (55-60)
2023: 1-16; BOS (GH)
2024: 1-14; BOS (GH)
2025: 1-14; CHA (31-55)
*Becomes two 2nds if unconveyed
HornetJail
RealGM

Post#77 » by HornetJail » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:15 am

That's some decent news. If he stayed healthy, that would be nice for us. I can't imagine he'd be very good after that long away from the game, but you never know.
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 17,833

Post#78 » by Diop » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:55 am

Since we've gotten Cho, I've noticed our name is mentioned with almost all the big names.

He's definitely active and trying to get stuff done.

If Oden was smart he should consider us as he will have PLENTY of opportunity.
pickIBL
Head Coach
And1: 951

Post#79 » by pickIBL » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:27 pm

I happen to really like Millsap but the word is that he is going to be asking for the moon. If he comes back down to earth I think he'll end up back with the Jazz and Jefferson will be gone. That being said I don't get moving MKG for Kanter. Speaking of the Jazz they have the rights to Ante Tomic who because of their current young prospects probably isn't in their plans.

It will take a 4 figure buy-out but that is nothing compared to the money these other guys are wanting. 7'2 best young centre in Europe. I'd go that route. Pair him with Dejuan Blair next year. Two smart lesser expensive options. That way you keep MKG and your cap flexibility.
I like my prospects the same way I like my women... foreign- pickIBL
catch20two
RealGM

Post#80 » by catch20two » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:42 pm

pickIBL wrote:I happen to really like Millsap but the word is that he is going to be asking for the moon. If he comes back down to earth I think he'll end up back with the Jazz and Jefferson will be gone. That being said I don't get moving MKG for Kanter. Speaking of the Jazz they have the rights to Ante Tomic who because of their current young prospects probably isn't in their plans.

It will take a 4 figure buy-out but that is nothing compared to the money these other guys are wanting. 7'2 best young centre in Europe. I'd go that route. Pair him with Dejuan Blair next year. Two smart lesser expensive options. That way you keep MKG and your cap flexibility.

I like the way you think :thumbsup:

Return to Charlotte Hornets