ImageImage

The 2013 free agency thread.

Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,053

Re: The 2013 free agency thread. 

Post#81 » by Liver_Pooty » Sat Feb 2, 2013 12:48 am

Higgins sent a letter out to season ticket holders stating that with the Bobcats 20 million in cap room they're going to try their best to sign a player to a max deal..
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
catch20two
RealGM
And1: 4,666

Post#82 » by catch20two » Sat Feb 2, 2013 1:18 am

Liver_Pooty wrote:Higgins sent a letter out to season ticket holders stating that with the Bobcats 20 million in cap room they're going to try their best to sign a player to a max deal..

That has Josh Smith written all over it. It's a upgrade but eh :dontknow:
They will wage war against the Lamb but the Lamb will triumph them because he is Lord of lords and King of kings - and with him will be his called, chosen and faithful followers." Revelation 17:14 (NIV)
debo23
Pro Prospect
And1: 26

Post#83 » by debo23 » Sat Feb 2, 2013 1:24 am

Liver_Pooty wrote:Higgins sent a letter out to season ticket holders stating that with the Bobcats 20 million in cap room they're going to try their best to sign a player to a max deal..

Sign Millsap to a big contract, trade off Gordon and Hendo, amnesty Tyrus, then sign Kevin Martin. Draft right this summer, then you have a deep playoff team.

Kemba, Sessions
Martin, McLemore, Goodwin
MKG, Taylor, ???
Millsap, Adrien
Mullens, Biz, Haywood
Liver_Pooty
RealGM

Post#84 » by Liver_Pooty » Sat Feb 2, 2013 1:25 am

catch20two wrote:

Put smith alongside MKG, McLemore, and Walker and it could be interesting.
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
catch20two
RealGM

Post#85 » by catch20two » Sat Feb 2, 2013 1:28 am

Liver_Pooty wrote:
catch20two wrote:

Put smith alongside MKG, McLemore, and Walker and it could be interesting.

You right. I would probably rather sign Al Jefferson to a max contract than Josh Smith though. We could use the size and the ability to feed someone in the post.
They will wage war against the Lamb but the Lamb will triumph them because he is Lord of lords and King of kings - and with him will be his called, chosen and faithful followers." Revelation 17:14 (NIV)
amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
And1: 9,238

Post#86 » by amcoolio » Sat Feb 2, 2013 1:30 am

Rather draft Noel than sign Smith or Jefferson to a big contract. We got burned with Tyrus don't want to get burned again
I don't support domestic violence. Thanks Miles
debo23
Pro Prospect
And1: 26

Post#87 » by debo23 » Sat Feb 2, 2013 1:32 am

amcoolio wrote:Rather draft Noel than sign Smith or Jefferson to a big contract. We got burned with Tyrus don't want to get burned again

true that, sucks we will have to overpay for any free agent to get them to play for us..seems like every big free agent this summer is on the downslope of their career
catch20two
RealGM

Post#88 » by catch20two » Sat Feb 2, 2013 1:36 am

amcoolio wrote:Rather draft Noel than sign Smith or Jefferson to a big contract. We got burned with Tyrus don't want to get burned again

+1
Liver_Pooty
RealGM

Post#89 » by Liver_Pooty » Sat Feb 2, 2013 1:44 am

To be fair the above players are atleast proven. We gave Thomas big $ based on one decent playoff series where we were dismantled.
Elden Payton
RealGM
And1: 2,591

Post#90 » by Elden Payton » Sat Feb 2, 2013 2:19 am

Please don't mention Jefferson and Tyrus in the same sentence, they are the opposite in fact.

Tyrus was signed on potential...Jefferson is all production and would be the best player in Bobcat history.
amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
And1: 9,238

Post#91 » by amcoolio » Sat Feb 2, 2013 2:28 am

Jefferson is almost 30 and has suffered multiple season ending injuries. He would have been the best player, if this were 2007. Would I take him? Of course, but above 10 million a year for 4 years, in which he will certainly get a 4 year 55+ million contract.
I don't support domestic violence. Thanks Miles
catch20two
RealGM

Post#92 » by catch20two » Sat Feb 2, 2013 3:17 am

Now that 'amcoolio' has reminded me of Al Jefferson's injury history I think I'm more considerate towards Josh Smith as the max contract player that we choose since he's durable. The last thing we need to do is get stuck paying max contract money to a player that's injury prone. That has LOLcats written all over it. At least with a acquisition of Josh Smith and the draft of Nerlens Noel we will have one of the quickest, most exciting teams in the league.
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 17,832

Post#93 » by Diop » Sat Feb 2, 2013 4:29 am

lolcats would be throwing the max at a Pf and getting one without a post game.
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,538

Post#94 » by HornetJail » Sat Feb 2, 2013 4:37 am

Sik Infant wrote:

Please don't mention Jefferson and Tyrus in the same sentence, they are the opposite in fact.

Tyrus was signed on potential...Jefferson is all production and would be the best player in Bobcat history.

Second best behind Wallace, but I agree with your point. It would be great to have one really really good vet on this team of young guys. He'd be an All-Star in the East too. He is much better than Brook Lopez on the boards, better offensively, and about even defensively. If we can get him for 4/55, I'll be thrilled.

I've been high on Josh Smith in the past but I really don't he's the right fit. Sure he'd make our roster really athletic, but he bricks wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy too many jumpers out of his range and isn't even that great finishing inside. We desperately need an inside presence on the offensive end. Mully is a jump shooter who will continue to improve his inside game, but he won't ever be a consistent inside terror the way Jefferson is. Biz and Adrien aren't offensive threats at all and likely never will be. Haywood wouldn't be in the league now if he wasn't 7'0, 260. Right now a big who scores consistently in the paint should be our number one priority if we do pursue a big free agent.

Wouldn't mind getting OJ Mayo as a big free agent, but I'd rather fill that need trading for Lamb using one of our picks and get him on three more years of a rookie deal and/or getting Shabazz/McLemore in the draft.
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
catch20two
RealGM

Post#95 » by catch20two » Sat Feb 2, 2013 4:42 am

Sachmo wrote:lolcats would be throwing the max at a Pf and getting one without a post game.

I guess we can't escape LOLcats basketball unless re-brand to the Hornets then :lol:

I'm still bitter that we didn't trade for Rudy Gay as a overpaid 2-year rental. Either way I think Josh Smith is a underrated player in the aspects that he can apply to a winning team. Outside of his bad habit of shooting jump shots he's a great defender, offensive rebounder, and playmaker in the halfcourt offense. Now that the smoke has cleared of Joe Johnson it appears that he's the anchor of the Hawks being a consistent playoff contender when you consider how injury prone Al Horford is.
Elden Payton
RealGM

Post#96 » by Elden Payton » Sat Feb 2, 2013 12:47 pm

amcoolio wrote:Jefferson is almost 30 and has suffered multiple season ending injuries. He would have been the best player, if this were 2007. Would I take him? Of course, but above 10 million a year for 4 years, in which he will certainly get a 4 year 55+ million contract.

Jefferson is 28 and as a post option who doesn't and never has relied on superior athleticism I imagine he will age well in NBA terms.

His injury history is not bad at all imo.
SWedd523
RealGM
And1: 5,171

Post#97 » by SWedd523 » Sat Feb 2, 2013 1:30 pm

I'm not throwing a max deal at any non-superstar/guy capable of leading a team to a title.

Josh smith and Al Jefferson do not get max deals
Elden Payton
RealGM

Post#98 » by Elden Payton » Sat Feb 2, 2013 1:33 pm

As previously mentioned we would give Jefferson 5/65 with a no trade clause and a trade kicker.

Loyalty thats called, he gets a home and worst case he gets traded he basically becomes a max player.
pickIBL
Head Coach
And1: 951

Post#99 » by pickIBL » Sat Feb 2, 2013 5:41 pm

Earlier in the season I made the point that the Bobcats have pretty much been terrible (damn near the worst team in the NBA overall since they've existed) and they ought to just go get Millsap (Jefferson) or whoever they can to put a decent team out on the floor for those of us spending our money... buying tickets, league pass, etc (and while my point was accurate it did offend some homers).

But the more I see this new CBA in action and the end of the super teams looming... I don't think you have to pony up for Jefferson this summer. You really hurt your flexibility in 2014 if you do it. Target #1 should be Dejuan Blair. You could draft a center but if McLemore is available I would look to Europe for one. Bourousis may end up on the Spurs if they lose Splitter... but you could make a play for him at 29 years of age. Or the best young center I have mentioned before is Tomic at 25 years old.

Then in 14 you amnesty Ty Thomas and you just have Blair, Tomic, MKG, Walker, Haywood, & McLemore (or another rookie). Tons of cap space.
I like my prospects the same way I like my women... foreign- pickIBL
Kembastockton
Hornets Forum Mock Draft Co-Champ
And1: 56

Post#100 » by Kembastockton » Sat Feb 2, 2013 6:03 pm

Why should our number one free agent target be a 6'5 powerforward with bad knees?

Return to Charlotte Hornets