2014 Draft Prospects Thread

Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 17,833

Re: Wiggins Sweepstakes 

Post#81 » by Diop » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:03 pm

Last I heard exum was more than likely going play college and be unavailable until 2015.
lmcguir5
Pro Prospect
And1: 83

Post#82 » by lmcguir5 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:02 pm

I still don't care. We've proved that you can be the worst team in the league and still not get a top pick. There's nothing wrong with getting better while the rest of the league is concerning themselves with blowing an entire 82 game set.

What happens if some of these guys stay in college for reasons unexplained? What happens if they turn out to be Shabazz and Nerlens? Two guys who were supposed to be headline stealers and both of them fell in the draft because they weren't as good as expected. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush, might as well get better with what you have instead of hoping on some miracle child fall into your laps
Mike Malone was never given a fair chance in Sacramento, and Ranadive will soon come to regret that, when he's on top of the WC inevitably contending somewhere
BlackOutBuzz
Hornets Forum Capologist
And1: 2,970

Post#83 » by BlackOutBuzz » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:59 pm

We still could use another top 5 pick to add to our young core. It doesn't have to be Wiggins, he's just the class of the draft. 'Bazz and Noel were the top high school players almost by default, and Noel still would've been a top pick if it weren't for his injury. There are at least 5 high schoolers that are considered better or same level prospects as those two (Wiggins, Parker, Randle, Gordon, Andrew Harrison); plus other HS Seniors like Aaron Harrison, James Young, Embiid, and Selden are also being touted as possible break-out players.

The returning sophomores look good too (though returning sophomores who could've been one-and-dones often slide): Smart could be a top 5 guy, and guys like Harris, WCS, McGary, GR3, and Isaiah Austin could also make some noise. And then there's international prospects like Saric and Exum (who could make a serious push for top 3 IMO).

Obviously, most of these guys won't live up to their billing, but chances are about a handful will. Wiggins would be great, sure, but if we can end up with a top 5 pick then I think the draft was successful regardless.
Hornets Picks by Year
2021: Bouknight, Jones, Thor, Lewis

Protection on future 1st* (to NYK); 2nds
2022: 1-18; CHA (31-55), TOR 2 (55-60)
2023: 1-16; BOS (GH)
2024: 1-14; BOS (GH)
2025: 1-14; CHA (31-55)
*Becomes two 2nds if unconveyed
MasterIchiro
RealGM
And1: 5,340

Post#84 » by MasterIchiro » Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:55 pm

By the looks of your draft board it looks like we could end up with Marcus Smart with our own pick around 5, WCS with DET pick around 9 and Austin or Selden with the POR pick around 16.

Say Orlando drafts Jabari Parker, Julius Randle or Wiggins. Would anyone trade Smart + MKG for one of those guys?

I don't think we reach top 3 without a trade or some amazing luck.

I would be happy to walk away with Smart + WCS.

Orlando's draft board will be interesting next year. You know they wanted Smart #1 in 2013 and obviously they would have Wiggins ahead of him. But they could very easily finish top 3 yet still be able to get Smart around where we might pick around 5 or 6.
It has been written...
BlackOutBuzz
Hornets Forum Capologist
And1: 2,970

Post#85 » by BlackOutBuzz » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:22 pm

Smart, Harrison, and Exum all look like they could be franchise PGs at the next level, so the Magic have a few guys to choose from should they miss out on one. I'm all for packaging picks, but I'm not sure I'd trade MKG for any of these guys aside from Wiggins...but it's still very early.
Hornets Picks by Year
2021: Bouknight, Jones, Thor, Lewis

Protection on future 1st* (to NYK); 2nds
2022: 1-18; CHA (31-55), TOR 2 (55-60)
2023: 1-16; BOS (GH)
2024: 1-14; BOS (GH)
2025: 1-14; CHA (31-55)
*Becomes two 2nds if unconveyed
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#86 » by No-Man » Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:01 pm

For the hornets, if you fail to land a top4 pick (Wiggins, Parker, Randle, Smart) I like Gary Harris a lot, and also Hezonja, or James Young deserve mention.
If Exum declares, he should be Charlotte 2nd option just after Wiggins, but I think he'll go to college and not straight to the Draft.

Gary Harris is such a good fit, and he'll be a top10 pick for sure, could rise even at top5, MSU will be a top3-5 team in the nation this year, and he's going to shine there.

His shooting ability, plus defense would be fit right there with Kemba and MKG, and he has physical ability and potential to be an All Star guard, he's 6-5 215 right now.

You also probably will have two picks around 10-17 with Portland and Detroit making attemps to be in the PO, I'd like a comboforward and a prototype comboguard that could be a 6th man with instant offense, guys like Kyle Anderson, Alex Poythress, Dario Saric, TJ Warren, could be in play, also, Aaron Harrison, James Young, Jordan Adams, Hezonja, Rasheed Sulaimon, PJ Hairston, Dinwiddie...

You guys could fill the roster pretty nicely even without a Wiggins or Parker.
MasterIchiro
RealGM

Post#87 » by MasterIchiro » Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:39 pm

2014 NBA Mock Draft

Pick Player School COMMENT
1 Andrew Wiggins, SF Kansas

The Hornets are back! The question now: Is Wiggins Michael Jordan's savior? The most hyped hoops prospect since LeBron James will be expected to deliver the same way James did in Cleveland. His poise and abilities suggest that he's the right man for the job in Charlotte.

http://msn.foxsports.com/collegebasketb ... aft-070513
It has been written...
Eoghan
RealGM
And1: 3,293

Post#88 » by Eoghan » Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:47 am

MasterIchiro wrote:2014 NBA Mock Draft

Pick Player School COMMENT
1 Andrew Wiggins, SF Kansas

The Hornets are back! The question now: Is Wiggins Michael Jordan's savior? The most hyped hoops prospect since LeBron James will be expected to deliver the same way James did in Cleveland. His poise and abilities suggest that he's the right man for the job in Charlotte.

http://msn.foxsports.com/collegebasketb ... aft-070513

Stopped reading after "Saric is a deadly shooter."

But I did get a tingly feeling seeing the old Charlotte Hornets logo at the top of the list though. :D
amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
And1: 9,241

Post#89 » by amcoolio » Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:23 am

Man it would be a dream to get 3 lottery picks next season, even if its all in the 7-14 range.

We could add 2 really good players
I don't support domestic violence. Thanks Miles
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,540

Post#90 » by HornetJail » Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:38 am

Can you imagine getting Wiggins plus 9 from DET and 13 from POR? 9+13 could get us into the top 5. Wiggins and Randle/Parker/Exum would be a dream come true.
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
JT2006
Rookie
And1: 18

Post#91 » by JT2006 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:01 am

Biz Gilwalker wrote:Can you imagine getting Wiggins plus 9 from DET and 13 from POR? 9+13 could get us into the top 5. Wiggins and Randle/Parker/Exum would be a dream come true.

yes pls
Vanderbilt_Grad
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,771

Post#92 » by Vanderbilt_Grad » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:45 am

This is one draft where I don't think that anyone in the top 9 will be trading down. 9+13 would not get in the top 5 in the 2014 draft.

The early talk is that the draft will be 9 deep in terms of the really good players. Two top 9 picks alone would likely put the Bobcats in great shape for yoears to come.
My picks:
2020 Draft (3rd pick) - Tyrese Haliburton, Devin Vassell, or Onyeka Okongwu
2021 Draft (11th pick) - Moses Moody
MasterIchiro
RealGM

Post#93 » by MasterIchiro » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:38 am

amcoolio wrote:Man it would be a dream to get 3 lottery picks next season, even if its all in the 7-14 range.

We could add 2 really good players

Let's just list the top 15 players and imagine we get one of them with our pick and package the other two picks for a second high pick somewhere in the top 10. So we would get 2 of these guys in the top 10 with one pick being closer to the top 5 with by using our own. So let's say 1 player around the top-5 and the second player around the top-10.

1-Andrew Wiggins
2-Jabari Parker
3-Julius Randle
4-Marcus Smart
5-Dante Exum
6-Andrew Harrison
7-Aaron Gordon
8-James Young
9-Gary Harris
10-Willie Cauley-Stein
11-Glenn Robinson III
12-Wayne Selden
13-Mario Hezonja
14-Isaiah Austin
15-Mitch McGary

For my money I'll take any combo

Marcus Smart & Willie Cauley-Stein
Julius Randle & Gary Harris
Wiggins & Cauley-Stein

What's your favorite 2-player combo in that top 15?
It has been written...
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,540

Post#94 » by HornetJail » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:20 pm

Wiggins/Exum
Wiggins/Randle
Randle/Exum
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
RichBoy923
Senior
And1: 22

Post#95 » by RichBoy923 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:00 am

If we didn't draft Zeller, I'd be all over McGary. Well rounded big. Reminds me of Lee with a better back to the basket game.

Best duo has to be Randle/Wiggins. Not sure that's even a question.
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,054

Post#96 » by Liver_Pooty » Mon Sep 9, 2013 8:31 pm

Chad Ford just came out with his first 2014 mock draft today (ridiculous I know, but its slow this time of year so what the hell)

He has us taking Exum at 4, and Gary Harris at 13.

Now if we were to be horrible this year (I pray we aren't), and we came out of the 2014 draft with those two I would be elated beyond belief.
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,627

Post#97 » by fatlever » Mon Sep 9, 2013 8:35 pm

can you post his picks 1-14?
Liver_Pooty
RealGM

Post#98 » by Liver_Pooty » Mon Sep 9, 2013 8:43 pm

1) - Wiggins - Analysis: I've been very bullish on the 76ers this summer; having the best shot at Wiggins is why. Wiggins is one of the best prospects to come into the draft in a decade. He has NBA size, elite athletic ability and does just about everything well. With young anchors in the middle (Nerlens Noel) and at the point guard position (Michael Carter-Williams), the Sixers could add an uber-athletic wing to the mix. Combined with the No. 11 pick (see below), they suddenly have one of the most exciting young cores in the NBA. Even if the Sixers don't win the lottery, a player like Julius Randle, Dante Exum or Jabari Parker would add another potential star to the team.

2) - Julius Randle - Suns - Analysis: Like the 76ers, the Suns feel they have their big man (Alex Len) and their point guard (Eric Bledsoe) of the future. Randle would be a perfect complement to Len on the front line. He's the type of versatile 4 that most teams covet. He possesses virtually every attribute scouts look for in a prospect. The Suns have two other first-round picks (Nos. 18, 25) to fill out the team and are also optimistic about the long-term future of Archie Goodwin. While I don't like the baseline talent quite as much as I like Philly's, the Suns could end up easily rivaling Philly as the best young team in the NBA in another year.

3) Marcus Smart - Magic Analysis: This will be a tough call for the Magic. They'll likely grab a point guard if they're drafting here and will have their choice of Dante Exum, Marcus Smart or Andrew Harrison. Exum has been rocketing up boards this summer, and scouts are already beginning to peg him as a rival to Wiggins for the overall No. 1 pick. Harrison was ranked as the top high school point guard in 2013, and the Magic would have selected him with the No. 2 pick if Smart had declared for the draft last season. But the odds remain in Smart's favor; Orlando loves his combination of toughness, defense and energy. Imagine having to play against a Victor Oladipo-Smart backcourt? They'll terrorize the league. Obviously, if Smart doesn't improve his jump shot and handle this season, he'll move out of the picture. But for now, it's Smart's spot to lose.

4) Bobcats - Dante Exum - Analysis: Draft after draft, the Bobcats continue to miss their shot at a real franchise talent. That should change in 2014. I expect that they'll be praying for Exum if they miss out on Wiggins. They need an explosive scoring guard in the worst way, and Exum's ability to play both the point and the 2 makes him a perfect fit in Charlotte. With Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, Kemba Walker and Cody Zeller already in place, adding Exum finally would give the Bobcats a player worth getting excited about.

5) Jabari Parker - Celtics - Analysis: Forget for a second that Celtics president of basketball operations Danny Ainge and Parker are both Mormon and Ainge has been an informal advisor to Parker in the past. He's actually a great fit for the Celtics. With a super-skilled frontcourt of Jared Sullinger and Kelly Olynyk, and an athletic backcourt of Rajon Rondo and Avery Bradley, Parker fits great in between -- especially for Celtics fans who aren't sold on Jeff Green as the Celtics' future. Parker could be the second coming of Carmelo Anthony as a scorer, with an even better approach.

6) Aaron Gordon - Kings - Analysis: The Kings' two building blocks right now are big man DeMarcus Cousins and athletic 2-guard Ben McLemore. Adding Gordon to the mix only would make the Kings more athletic up front, and would also give them a tough player who plays at a relentless pace, mostly above the rim. Gordon's skill set is a work in progress, but there are few players with his upside in this draft.

7) Andrew Harrison - Bucks - Analysis: If the Bucks somehow can get their hands on one of those top three point guards, they'll do it. The team acquired Brandon Knight in a trade this summer, but he doesn't have the long-term potential of Exum, Smart or Harrison. Harrison has as much talent as Smart and Exum, but slides a bit because of questions about his attitude. If John Calipari can get him to mature -- remember when John Wall had all the same questions surrounding him before he played for Calipari at Kentucky? -- then the Bucks could potentially land the best point guard prospect in the draft.

8) Chris Walker - Jazz - Analysis: The Jazz drafted their point guard of the future, Trey Burke, in June. They have great young anchors on the front line with Derrick Favors and Enes Kanter. And Gordon Hayward can play both the 2 and the 3. Walker might be another great fit. He is another explosive player who excels in the open floor. He's trying to make the transition from the 3 to the 4 this year at Florida -- if the NCAA ever gets around to clearing him. (Walker did not enroll in classes for the fall semester and is hoping to become eligible in December.) If he improves his handle and jump shot, he could be a lethal combo forward in the NBA and give the Jazz another young prospect to build around.

9) Dario Saric - Raptors - Analysis: The Raptors' biggest hole is at the 4 and Saric could be a very interesting fit. Once again he was dominant in summer tournament play and is widely regarded as the top young prospect in Europe. A point power forward, he shows off remarkable court vision and is a terrific rebounder. His so-so jump shot and lack of elite quickness keep him from being an elite prospect at the 3, but he could complete a very big front line alongside Jonas Valanciunas and Rudy Gay.

10) Joel Embiid - Lakers - Analysis: At some point the Lakers are going to have to start rebuilding, and if our Summer Forecast voters are correct, it's going to start this season. The team really needs help everywhere. There isn't a young building block at any position. Embiid is the first true center of this group, and he impressed scouts at the McDonald's All American Game, Nike Hoop Summit and Adidas Nations. Rick Pitino has said he believes Embiid will be the No. 2 pick. That might be a bit generous considering how raw Embiid is and the teams likely to be selecting at the top of the draft. However, if Embiid does blow up, he won't be around at No. 10.

11) Montrezl Harrell Philadelphia 76ers - Analysis: Putting Harrell on a team that already includes Noel, Carter-Williams and, if they win the lottery, Wiggins is just plain greedy. Harrell is a bouncy energizer who would be a great fit in Philly. He has a terrific motor and is an excellent rebounder, and he proved this summer that his offensive game is coming along nicely. If he has a big sophomore year at Louisville, he might not be around at No. 11. But if he is, he'd be another great building block for the Sixers.

12) Willie Cauley Stein - Blazers - Analysis: The Blazers actually are trying to make the playoffs in a very crowded Western Conference. But if they don't, the draft is the upside. Cauley-Stein hasn't even begun to realize his potential. He was very raw at Kentucky last season, but when he got it going, everyone could easily see great things to come. The Blazers don't really need another center, but Cauley-Stein's versatility might allow him to back up LaMarcus Aldridge.

13) Gary Harris - Bobcats - Analysis: Harris isn't as sexy as some of the other prospects here, but he quietly put together one of the best freshman seasons in the country last season, and he did it with an injured shoulder. A great athlete, he can defend and shoot with range. In short, he's a long-term upgrade over Gerald Henderson.

14) Mario Hezonja - Mavericks - Analysis: Mavericks GM Donnie Nelson has always loved international players and likely will be bummed if Saric is off the board. But not too bummed. Many scouts and fans in Croatia think Hezonja might actually be the better long-term prospect. A number of scouts I spoke with have Hezonja ranked as a top-10 player in this draft. Yes, the Mavs just signed Monta Ellis, but that wouldn't stop them from grabbing Hezonja as a long-term solution at the 2.
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
Liver_Pooty
RealGM

Post#99 » by Liver_Pooty » Mon Sep 9, 2013 8:44 pm

So it looks as if he believes the Pistons pick will be 13, and we barely miss out on getting Portlands.
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 17,833

Post#100 » by Diop » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:33 am

I obviously love Exum, but we're going to desperately need some more shooting in that lineup

Return to Charlotte Hornets