ImageImage

Fun with Stats!!!

Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

Braggins
RealGM
And1: 8,148

Re: Fun with Stats!!! 

Post#901 » by Braggins » Sun Jan 22, 2023 4:35 pm

The point is that if the amount of zone JB was using is basically normal now relative to the rest of the league, then its not really junk defense and he was just an early adapter of what is now a league wide trend. I don't know where to find the stats on this stuff to see what really is going on, but either way, whatever JB was doing on defense last season was actually more effective than what Clifford is doing this season. The underlying assumption that what Clifford is doing is "good fundamental defense" but what JB was doing is "junk" is probably just wrong. Its pretty obvious at this point that the underlying problem defensively is the roster and not coaching and JB's strategy performed relatively better with worse, or equal at best, personnel, so its not really fair to keep acting like the defensive issues last season were being caused by JB.
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,666

Post#902 » by yosemiteben » Sun Jan 22, 2023 5:14 pm

Braggins wrote:The point is that if the amount of zone JB was using is basically normal now relative to the rest of the league, then its not really junk defense and he was just an early adapter of what is now a league wide trend. I don't know where to find the stats on this stuff to see what really is going on, but either way, whatever JB was doing on defense last season was actually more effective than what Clifford is doing this season. The underlying assumption that what Clifford is doing is "good fundamental defense" but what JB was doing is "junk" is probably just wrong. Its pretty obvious at this point that the underlying problem defensively is the roster and not coaching and JB's strategy performed relatively better with worse, or equal at best, personnel, so its not really fair to keep acting like the defensive issues last season were being caused by JB.

I do agree that it's pretty clear that JB wasn't the problem defensively last season, point well taken.

I don't think the league is playing more zone, I think you're referring to Zach Lowe's podcast where he was talking about Miami but don't think he said it was a league wide trend. Maybe I'm misremembering or just didn't hear correctly.

Even if it was, I think adopting a non-traditional, non-man oriented defense is a really bad idea if the goal is to help get Melo off his bad habits, which I think should be our top priority.

I would happily throw away a season with awful defense if it was spent drilling the bad defensive habits out of Melo.
Braggins
RealGM

Post#903 » by Braggins » Sun Jan 22, 2023 5:29 pm

I wasn't talking about Lowes podcast. It was a different podcast in an episode about league wide defensive trends. Someone specifically said that zone defense usage was up across the league this season.

Regardless, no one would say Miami is using junk defense or that Spoelstra is teaching bad defensive fundamentals to his team because of their use of zone defense. I think the narrative about JB's defensive strategy last season being illegitimate was always suspect.
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#904 » by yosemiteben » Sun Jan 22, 2023 5:40 pm

Braggins wrote:I wasn't talking about Lowes podcast. It was a different podcast in an episode about league wide defensive trends. Someone specifically said that zone defense usage was up across the league this season.

Regardless, no one would say Miami is using junk defense or that Spoelstra is teaching bad defensive fundamentals to his team because of their use of zone defense. I think the narrative about JB's defensive strategy last season being illegitimate was always suspect.

Gotcha, my bad on the podcast.

Do you disagree that Melo is lacking in basic defensive fundamentals? Or that using a zone defense wouldn't really address that?

Trying to understand whether you disagree with what I'm saying about Melo.
wilson115
Sixth Man
And1: 971

Post#905 » by wilson115 » Sun Jan 22, 2023 10:48 pm

Braggins wrote:Does anyone know where to find up to date stats on how often teams use zone defense?

Here's something:

The Charlotte Hornets were the only team that used zone in > 10% of their halfcourt possessions last season, and the Miami Heat and Portland Trail Blazers were the only other teams that cracked even 8%.

But generally speaking, I found that zone was rarely used and didn’t seem to be on the upswing.

Well, I’ve updated the data through this year — and it’s in a similar place:

The Miami Heat have taken their zone game to another level this season, using it on more than a quarter of their possessions thus far.

The Hornets, under James Borrego, often resorted to a zone. Charlotte’s new/returning coach, Steve Clifford, is decidedly old-school in his defensive philosophies, and the Hornets have completely excised zone from their playbook. It hasn’t helped — the team was 18th in halfcourt defense last year and is 28th this season.

https://www.basketballpoetry.com/p/game-of-zones
JMAC3
General Manager
And1: 4,200

Post#906 » by JMAC3 » Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:07 am

Dennis Smith Jr 9th in Defensive Raptor, 2nd in on/off Def Raptor

Gordon Hayward 7th in on/off def raptor.
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#907 » by yosemiteben » Fri Feb 3, 2023 12:36 am

Read on Twitter
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,561

Post#908 » by HornetJail » Fri Feb 3, 2023 6:26 pm

yosemiteben wrote:
Read on Twitter

Good to see but there was nowhere to go but up for those two. They had abysmal showings for the first two months, arguably the worst stretches of each of their careers (barring Rozier's first couple seasons in the league where he was a legit terrible player)
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
Braggins
RealGM

Post#909 » by Braggins » Fri Feb 3, 2023 6:46 pm

They need to have a plan to have Hayward coming off the bench next season to keep him healthy. Hes a fantastic complimentary player and maybe he can stay healthy with lower minutes and less offensive load.

If they end up resigning Miles then that probably solves itself.
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,671

Post#910 » by fatlever » Sat Feb 25, 2023 6:25 pm

Read on Twitter
?t=Ub1vwze3SFY6RpdpDQa4kQ&s=19

Melo leads league in avg miles run per game. Impressive. He never stops moving.

Sent from my SM-G973U using RealGM Forums mobile app
HornetJail
RealGM

Post#911 » by HornetJail » Tue Feb 28, 2023 3:48 am

the ankle revolts
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets

Post#912 » by fatlever » Thu Mar 16, 2023 4:05 pm

Read on Twitter
?t=EGkLkqK0XCRTT-ZH6K7eeQ&s=19

That last in the league in charges drawn. Lowest rate of charges drawn in the league since 2016. Are we just that soft? Or is this by design? We were middle of the pack last year.

SWedd523
RealGM
And1: 5,191

Post#913 » by SWedd523 » Thu Mar 16, 2023 5:18 pm

I've remarked a few times at how easy it is for opposing players to get to the hoop on dribble drives. I don't know if it's the guards trying to not get reach fouls or what but the individual man defense has been atrocious all year long
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#914 » by yosemiteben » Wed Mar 22, 2023 6:51 pm

Post-ASB, our team is ranked third in defensive efficiency and 12th in pace. During that same time period, our ORTG is dead last in the league.
HornetJail
RealGM

Post#915 » by HornetJail » Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:37 pm

yosemiteben wrote:Post-ASB, our team is ranked third in defensive efficiency and 12th in pace. During that same time period, our ORTG is dead last in the league.

we were actually 1st in defense just before Mark went down
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets

Post#916 » by fatlever » Fri Mar 24, 2023 7:39 pm

Read on Twitter
?t=oQ6jBXHLPoNnVjw9oQW5fg&s=19

Cliff gonna Cliff

fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets

Post#917 » by fatlever » Fri Mar 15, 2024 6:47 pm

if you think the hornets ball movement sucks, you aren't crazy, right?
last 15 gms
hornets are 24th in total passes
28th in adjusted assists %
24th in assists

what other stats support or dispute the theory that hornets are poor ball movement team?
we aren't an iso heavy team, like clippers/mavs, but also not a team that moves the ball.
we lead league in pick and roll frequency. it's cliff's bread and butter. wait for screen, pick for ball handler, drive to paint, try to kick out to a shooter. repeat this play, over and over.
we are bottom 10 in league in point per possession in this play at 0.89
we hit the roll man middle of pack frequency
bottom 5 in transition freq %
bottom 5 in post up freq %
bottom 10 in cut freq %
middle of the pack in high touch time, high dribbles

sacto near top of league in all ball movement metrics = jay triano?

summary
we play slow, don't run, don't get to ft line, we run the most basic play in basketball more than any team in the league and do it quite poorly

anyone else come to different conclusions?
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 43,303

Post#918 » by JDR720 » Fri Mar 15, 2024 8:44 pm

Would be interesting to see the stats from the first few games after the deadline.
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets

Post#919 » by fatlever » Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:15 pm

JDR720 wrote:Would be interesting to see the stats from the first few games after the deadline.

we actually averaged less passes in those 3 games... didn't look at all the other stuff though
wilson115
Sixth Man
And1: 971

Post#920 » by wilson115 » Sat Mar 16, 2024 2:01 am

fatlever wrote:
Read on Twitter
?t=oQ6jBXHLPoNnVjw9oQW5fg&s=19

Cliff gonna Cliff

"Now you see me..."

Read on Twitter

Return to Charlotte Hornets