I'm looking for a little info on your team

Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,653

Re: I'm looking for a little info on your team 

Post#21 » by yosemiteben » Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:09 pm

LofJ wrote:Another big story line is who will be our first wing off the bench? Henderson or MKG. To me it makes a lot more sense to bring Henderson off the bench because he brings more offense to the table. Our coach places a lot of emphasis on spacing though, so for that reason I wouldn't be shocked to see Henderson starting with Lance on the wing.

Certainly not as much as he places on defense.
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,621

Post#22 » by fatlever » Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:22 pm

i'd say all coaches that are good coaches, do, and should, place a lot of emphasis on spacing (and ball movement).
jazzfan1971
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,107

Post#23 » by jazzfan1971 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:26 pm

What can you tell me about Gerald Henderson? It looks like he was a pretty major part of that 44 win season playing 32 minutes a night (on 77 games) yet it seems like he's just an afterthought on most of the depth charts on here.

Why haven't Charlotte fans ever warmed to Henderson?
"Thibs called back and wanted more picks," said Jorge Sedano. "And Pat Riley, literally, I was told, called him a mother-bleeper and hung up the phone."
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 43,121

Post#24 » by JDR720 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:34 pm

jazzfan1971 wrote:What can you tell me about Gerald Henderson? It looks like he was a pretty major part of that 44 win season playing 32 minutes a night (on 77 games) yet it seems like he's just an afterthought on most of the depth charts on here.

He is incredibly average at almost everything and underachieves.
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,053

Post#25 » by Liver_Pooty » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:49 pm

jazzfan1971 wrote:What can you tell me about Gerald Henderson? It looks like he was a pretty major part of that 44 win season playing 32 minutes a night (on 77 games) yet it seems like he's just an afterthought on most of the depth charts on here.

I personally think hes a tad underrated on here. He just doesnt do any particular one thing at a high level. Solid overall player though. He will be great coming off the bench as a 6th man.
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets

Post#26 » by fatlever » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:18 pm

as mrknowitall likes to say, henderson is a 1980s small forward, trapped in a 2014 shooting guard's body. its a perfect description of his game.

offensively he lives in the midrange, and prefers to create his offense via 2-3 dribble, then pull-up jumpers, basically the most inefficient form of basketball. he is a slightly below average 3pt shooter, but he is painfully shy about shooting them, to the point that it disrupts the offense. he will routinely pass up an open 3pter, only to take 2-3 dribbles closer to the basket for a contested pull-up jumper (which he amazingly hits at an above average rate).

he is a very frustrating player to watch, because he is very athletically gifted, yet rarely attacks the rim, partly due to his below average handles. he does very little to create offense for others and can sometimes be a ball stopper.

however, he does have a gift, as mentioned above, of making tough contested shots, which can be handy when needing a basket late.

defensively he is very solid and able to defend both wing positions.

also frustrating because he has basically shown zero improvement over his last 4 seasons (seriously, go look at his per 36 numbers for the past 4 years). he did have one great 2 month run at the end of 2013, which just happened to coincide with the end of his contract - go figure.

all in all, he is a fair bargain for 6 mil. he would be much better served on a team that did not need him to stretch the defense and hit catch-and-shoot 3s.

by all accounts, great locker room guy, very smart. great golfer.
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,538

Post#27 » by HornetJail » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:51 pm

We have, and then we soured on him this season.

I think he's underrated around here. People say he's garbage, but he's pretty good player with a below-average 3-point shot trapped on a team that really needs a lights-out shooter on the wings. He's seemingly been "on the verge of a breakout" for about 4 seasons now. To use an example you'll relate to- he's comparable to Alec Burks right now, only he's been like that for about 4 years. He has improved his jumper enough to be respectable, but he's so hesitant to take a 3 that it almost doesn't matter that he managed 35% this season. He would much prefer to pass up the three and pull up from 15-18 feet, or back down a smaller defender and throw in a turnaround fadeaway from the same range. He's actually very good at it, and if it was 1987, he'd probably be a very good player. Unfortunately, he was BORN in 1987 and plays basketball where those moves are less efficient. He's a good all-around player, but he's not very good at anything other than having an insane vertical that is hardly utilized. Good scorer, good defender, good size, good mid-range shooter, good teammate, average ball-handler, average quickness, average motor, average durability, below-average three-point shooter.

Right now, most of us would prefer a minor downgrade in overall talent but for a better fit. I think the majority of us here would prefer Chris Douglas-Roberts to take his role. He was fantastic here and was essentially the 3/D player that all teams want from a role player at the 2. Side note: I think it's insane that teams aren't offering him contracts. He would be Danny Green 2.0 under Popovich, dead serious.

I'm personally higher than most here on Henderson. I'm not willing to simply dump him for cap space unless we've got an upgrade coming back. He has value, and will be more productive in a smaller role as a sixth man.

Basically we've had high hopes for Henderson, hoping he'd figure out how to be an excellent two-way player, but four years later, he's the same player. Our patience with him wore pretty thin with him this season, especially since having Al Jefferson at peak production requires floor spacers. We didn't have enough spacing last season- from memory, only McBob, Tolliver, CDR, Pargo, and Neal managed 36% or better from deep last season, we didn't sign a single player capable of doing better (okay, maybe Roberts), and the two players in that bunch that we brought back were by far the worst of the bunch. Pargo and Neal don't figure to be in the rotation. Spacing is the single biggest reason we're sick of Henderson and need to move on from him.
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
UNCNYC
Assistant Coach
And1: 868

Post#28 » by UNCNYC » Fri Aug 1, 2014 12:32 am

BizGilwalker wrote:
UNCNYC wrote:I think our depth chart SHOULD be this

Walker/Neal/Roberts/Pargo
Stephenson/Hairston
MKG/Hendo/Taylor ----- All splitting minutes here almost evenly
Williams/Zeller/Vonleh ----- All splitting minutes here almost evenly
Jefferson/Biyombo

what I think it WILL be

Walker/Roberts/Pargo
Stephenson/Neal/Hairston
MKG/Hendo/Taylor
Williams/Zeller/Vonleh
Jefferson/Biyombo

We are really really going to miss McRoberts. With him I think we make the Eastern Conference Finals. WIthout him prolly just the semi's

So you want MKG to only play 1/3 of each game? :o I can get on board with our three PFs playing 16mpg each, but not SFs. MKG deserves 30mpg this year for sure, and there's no question Henderson is going to eat up all the remaining minutes there, plus the minutes behind Stephenson- pretty much, I think if Clifford is serious about keeping the best players in the game without playing the scrubs, we're going to be seeing this:
Jefferson[32]/Biz[16]
Marvin[24]/Zeller+Vonleh[24 combined based on how they play]
MKG[32]/Hendo[16]
Stephenson[36]/Hendo[12]
Kemba[36]/Roberts[12]
With Hairston, Neal, Pargo, and Taylor only seeing the floor due to an injury or serious foul trouble. No way in hell should Neal ever see backup PG minutes without an injury to one of our PGs either.

I still think we're best off trading a Zeller, JT, Neal, 2nds package for an upgrade- a starting PF, an athletic/versatile scoring wing, or a big-time scoring combo guard should be our targets. Henderson can be included in a deal as well and I wouldn't be heartbroken if we had to include Hairston to make that happen. As long as our core of Big Al, Biz, Vonleh, MKG, Lance, and Kemba isn't broken apart, I feel little attachment to anybody else.

I dont think Hendo brings much to the table at all. I would rather give PJ a chance because he kemba and Jefferson should be able to score well together something we really missed last year.

Unlike some I like Taylors game quite a bit. I think he is a really good defender. I would rather him over tabo sephaloshia anyday. I also would rather him over Hendo but I know they wont play him more than him

Kemba / Neal
Lance / Hairston
MKG / Taylor
Williams / VonLeh
Jefferson / Zeller

would be my rotation
UPDATED 2-18-2024

These are my top five for who I want with pick #1 in order

BuB Carrington
Ryan Dunn
Dalton Knect
Kevin McCullar
Bobi Klintman
MKGsMotor
Senior
And1: 207

Post#29 » by MKGsMotor » Fri Aug 1, 2014 12:59 am

Gerald Henderson isn't a bad basketball player. But the way he plays can hurt any team. If you're only scoring 15 points a night in 34 minutes a game, then contested fadeaway long twos just doesn't help the offense. He has good, even underrated on-the-ball defense, but unaware, poor off-the-ball defense. If I was Gerald Henderson, I would work on my ball handling and focus on slashing to the rim with or without the ball. I would also shoot endless reps of three point balls and shoot them willingly if I was open in a game. His fadeaway two game can be used when a team NEEDS a two point basket. Unfortunately I think what Gerald is now is what he's going to be for the rest of his career. I think he'll be in the NBA for another 6 or 7 years, but will never start for a team again.
The Lamb flock's vision has come true.
jazzfan1971
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,107

Post#30 » by jazzfan1971 » Tue Sep 2, 2014 3:28 pm

Thanks for the help! I'm sorry if this is going to be a bit controversial.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1343704
"Thibs called back and wanted more picks," said Jorge Sedano. "And Pat Riley, literally, I was told, called him a mother-bleeper and hung up the phone."
HornetJail
RealGM

Post#31 » by HornetJail » Tue Sep 2, 2014 3:34 pm

jazzfan1971 wrote:Thanks for the help! I'm sorry if this is going to be a bit controversial.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1343704

Well... your prediction is decent at least. Floppymoose's prediction really does not compute :lol:
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
Hornet Mania
General Manager
And1: 7,405

Post#32 » by Hornet Mania » Wed Sep 3, 2014 2:28 am

45 wins isn't an awful prediction honestly. I'd say that's a conservative middle ground, not the ceiling nor the floor for this squad.

The 29 win prediction though...I honestly thought it was a typo or that I was reading it wrong somehow when I first glanced over it. Unless that formula assumes Kemba or Al miss 20+ games I struggle to see how that disaster would come about.
HornetJail
RealGM

Post#33 » by HornetJail » Wed Sep 3, 2014 2:34 am

Hornet Mania wrote:45 wins isn't an awful prediction honestly. I'd say that's a conservative middle ground, not the ceiling nor the floor for this squad.

The 29 win prediction though...I honestly thought it was a typo or that I was reading it wrong somehow when I first glanced over it. Unless that formula assumes Kemba or Al miss 20+ games I struggle to see how that disaster would come about.

Perfectly put.

Is the difference between the 2012-13 Bobcats coached by Dunlap with a starting five of raw Biyombo, terrible Tyrus/Mullens, rookie MKG, decent Hendo, and good Kemba with zero depth; and a starting five Big Al, Marvin, vastly improved MKG, Lance **** Stephenson, improved Kemba, serious depth, and a fantastic coach... is that difference seriously only 8 wins? That's absurd. I think Jazzfan's prediction is a low-to-middle prediction, which I can respect. I think we'll win 50 games this season, possibly more if MKG, Marvin, and our young bigs show off more than we expect.
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
Liver_Pooty
RealGM

Post#34 » by Liver_Pooty » Wed Sep 3, 2014 2:36 am

Im sticking with 53-29. Ill post more in depth predictions in a month or so.

And I honestly think we are dark horses in the East.
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets

Post#35 » by fatlever » Wed Sep 3, 2014 2:52 am

the only way the hornets win 29 games is if both kemba and jefferson miss significant time with injuries.
TheKingofSting
RealGM
And1: 2,163

Post#36 » by TheKingofSting » Wed Sep 3, 2014 2:59 am

If we only win 29 games I will cry.
President of the Quinn Cook Fan Club

Bradley Beal has D Wade potential
HornetJail
RealGM

Post#37 » by HornetJail » Wed Sep 3, 2014 3:53 am

TheKingofSting wrote:If we only win 29 games I will cry.

This team is good enough to win well over 29 games if Al sat out the entire season. Put that into perspective. What a horrible prediction
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
Liver_Pooty
RealGM

Post#38 » by Liver_Pooty » Wed Sep 3, 2014 3:59 am

Lol without me scrolling up. Who predicted us to win 29 games?
HornetJail
RealGM

Post#39 » by HornetJail » Wed Sep 3, 2014 4:15 am

Liver_Pooty wrote:Lol without me scrolling up. Who predicted us to win 29 games?

floppymoose, in the GB team predictions :lol:
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
Liver_Pooty
RealGM

Post#40 » by Liver_Pooty » Wed Sep 3, 2014 5:23 am

BizGilwalker wrote:
Liver_Pooty wrote:Lol without me scrolling up. Who predicted us to win 29 games?

floppymoose, in the GB team predictions :lol:

Thats just stupid.

Could start Kemba, Henderson, MKG, Zeller, and Biyombo and win 30 plus. Let alone with Stephenson and Jefferson.

Return to Charlotte Hornets