Off Topic VII

Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,621

Re: Off Topic VII 

Post#1961 » by fatlever » Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:41 pm

Unrelated to Charlotte's chances, I think that MLS is making a big mistake by trying to grow too fast. 28 teams is too many while trying to continue to increase the level of play. Seems that growing that fast will water down the league, which is exactly what shouldn't happen, if we want to improve the overall play and compete with some of the more well know leagues for players. I'd love to see 20 teams, with another 16 or so solid teams in the NASL (that all have solid stadiums), then we can start the promotion, relegation, that we know will never ever happen.

Maybe someone who follows MLS more closely can school me on why it is a good idea to expand the MLS so rapidly.
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets

Post#1962 » by fatlever » Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:00 pm

Frank and Spencer are teaming up on Twitter for LOLs

[tweet]https://twitter.com/FSKPart3/status/693118031753453568[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Starbucks/status/693139415800094722[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/FSKPart3/status/693155625287577601[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/spencerhawes00/status/693156592863186944[/tweet]
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets

Post#1963 » by fatlever » Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:43 pm

yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,653

Post#1964 » by yosemiteben » Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:07 pm

derp :)
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,538

Post#1965 » by HornetJail » Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:43 pm

I wish Frank could battle for a rebound half as well as he battles on twitter. He is hilarious
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
Eoghan
RealGM
And1: 3,293

Post#1966 » by Eoghan » Sat Jan 30, 2016 1:51 am

fatlever wrote:

Unrelated to Charlotte's chances, I think that MLS is making a big mistake by trying to grow too fast. 28 teams is too many while trying to continue to increase the level of play. Seems that growing that fast will water down the league, which is exactly what shouldn't happen, if we want to improve the overall play and compete with some of the more well know leagues for players. I'd love to see 20 teams, with another 16 or so solid teams in the NASL (that all have solid stadiums), then we can start the promotion, relegation, that we know will never ever happen.

Maybe someone who follows MLS more closely can school me on why it is a good idea to expand the MLS so rapidly.

I dunno, it won't be long before a lot of names in Europe come over to Mature League Soccer.
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 43,121

Post#1967 » by JDR720 » Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:34 am

fatlever wrote:

expansion fees i guess. i think expansion will be fine as long as its the right clubs joining the league.

some of the expansion teams

Atlanta FC (owned by the Falcons, will play in their new ATL stadium)
LAFC (another LA team, has a pretty rich ownership group)
Minnesota United (NASL team, averaged 8.7k fans)
Miami United (owned by David Beckham)

with San Antonio, Charlotte, St.Louis and Sacremento also wanting a team.

i dont think promotion/relegation will work, most of the USL teams are partnered with the MLS teams and NASL is too small.
LamarMatic7
Hornets Forum High-End Journalist
And1: 2,351

Post#1968 » by LamarMatic7 » Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:44 pm

have heard about the place but, no, never ate there. it also seems like it has been so much time since they closed it.

how did you come across this?
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets

Post#1969 » by fatlever » Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:27 pm

LamarMatic7 wrote:

have heard about the place but, no, never ate there. it also seems like it has been so much time since they closed it.

This blog Amusing Planet is one of my favorite geo blogs. I found it a few months ago and I have slowly been going back thru all the old pages. I stumbled on this entry yesterday and immediately thought of you - Riga, Latvia and hospital related.
predators
Senior
And1: 319

Post#1970 » by predators » Mon Feb 1, 2016 4:37 pm

fatlever wrote:

1. They've expanded pretty rapidly past 15 years and the quality of the league has still increased over time. They've added Toronto, Vancouver, Seattle, Philly, NYCFC, Montreal, RSL, Orlando, and the Current Iteration of San Jose since 2004. (Chivas was added and contracted and in the process of being reborn.) The league is infinitely better now than in 2004. New teams are generally better supported than the original teams.

2. Soccer is a global game and because of US labor law, anyone with a Green Card has to be treated like a domestic player. This means that there is plenty of poachable talent in Central\South America to fill out rosters. A lot of this talent can be counted as domestic roster spots after a couple seasons. Portland is infamous for fielding teams without a single player Eligible for the U.S. National team. (Nagbe was only recently naturalized.) This isn't the NBA\NFL\MLB where a new franchise would have to exclusively use talent from within the league. I also think the average american player is trending more skilled, so I believe the domestic pool of players is growing at a faster rate than the league is. (Its not showing up in the top end talent though)

3. MLS teams have to have Youth Academies. The more academies being run by professional teams the better in my eyes. (long term benefit)

4. Promotion\Relegation is never going to happen; the Jacksonville Jaguars are worth more than AC Milan and the people who are investing in MLS are in it for the Franchise Value.

20 premier league teams for a country of 340 million people as spread out as the U.S. is too little. The U.S. has a population greater than Italy,England, Germany and Spain combined. (Over 100 Million more if you include Canada.)
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets

Post#1971 » by fatlever » Mon Feb 1, 2016 4:44 pm

predators wrote:
fatlever wrote:

1. They've expanded pretty rapidly past 15 years and the quality of the league has still increased over time. They've added Toronto, Vancouver, Seattle, Philly, NYCFC, Montreal, RSL, Orlando, and the Current Iteration of San Jose since 2004. (Chivas was added and contracted and in the process of being reborn.) The league is infinitely better now than in 2004. New teams are generally better supported than the original teams.

2. Soccer is a global game and because of US labor law, anyone with a Green Card has to be treated like a domestic player. This means that there is plenty of poachable talent in Central\South America to fill out rosters. A lot of this talent can be counted as domestic roster spots after a couple seasons. Portland is infamous for fielding teams without a single player Eligible for the U.S. National team. (Nagbe was only recently naturalized.) This isn't the NBA\NFL\MLB where a new franchise would have to exclusively use talent from within the league. I also think the average american player is trending more skilled, so I believe the domestic pool of players is growing at a faster rate than the league is. (Its not showing up in the top end talent though)

3. MLS teams have to have Youth Academies. The more academies being run by professional teams the better in my eyes. (long term benefit)

4. Promotion\Relegation is never going to happen; the Jacksonville Jaguars are worth more than AC Milan and the people who are investing in MLS are in it for the Franchise Value.

20 premier league teams for a country of 340 million people as spread out as the U.S. is too little. The U.S. has a population greater than Italy,England, Germany and Spain combined. (Over 100 Million more if you include Canada.)

Good arguments all around. Thanks.
LamarMatic7
Hornets Forum High-End Journalist
And1: 2,351

Post#1972 » by LamarMatic7 » Mon Feb 1, 2016 4:49 pm

fatlever wrote:
LamarMatic7 wrote:

This blog Amusing Planet is one of my favorite geo blogs. I found it a few months ago and I have slowly been going back thru all the old pages. I stumbled on this entry yesterday and immediately thought of you - Riga, Latvia and hospital related.

haha. I love the fact that you connect me with hospital related stuff.
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets

Post#1973 » by fatlever » Fri Feb 5, 2016 9:31 pm

JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 43,121

Post#1974 » by JDR720 » Tue Feb 9, 2016 4:39 pm

the chinese league outspent the premier league....and their transfer window is still open

Return to Charlotte Hornets