ImageImage

Signed By Indiana - The Jeremy Lamb Thread

Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

MasterIchiro
RealGM
And1: 5,340

Re: Lambsanity - The Jeremy Lamb Thread 

Post#441 » by MasterIchiro » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:27 pm

Jeremy Lamb will be given ample opportunities by the Charlotte Hornets this season, especially with Michael Kidd-Gilchrist out for the season.

"They love Lamb," said a league source plugged into the dynamics in Charlotte. "He's really the only long, athletic shooting guard they have now that (Nicolas) Batum will be back at the three. He has a chance to be really good."

The Hornets tried to trade for Lamb long before the Oklahoma City Thunder finally dealt him.

Some executives feel Lamb's lack of opportunities hurt his confidence with the Thunder.
It has been written...
UNCNYC
Assistant Coach
And1: 868

Post#442 » by UNCNYC » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:35 pm

MasterIchiro wrote:
Jeremy Lamb will be given ample opportunities by the Charlotte Hornets this season, especially with Michael Kidd-Gilchrist out for the season.

"They love Lamb," said a league source plugged into the dynamics in Charlotte. "He's really the only long, athletic shooting guard they have now that (Nicolas) Batum will be back at the three. He has a chance to be really good."

The Hornets tried to trade for Lamb long before the Oklahoma City Thunder finally dealt him.

Some executives feel Lamb's lack of opportunities hurt his confidence with the Thunder.

:crazy: :noway: :noway:
UPDATED 2-18-2024

These are my top five for who I want with pick #1 in order

BuB Carrington
Ryan Dunn
Dalton Knect
Kevin McCullar
Bobi Klintman
Mystical Apples
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,349

Post#443 » by Mystical Apples » Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:51 pm

MasterIchiro wrote:

The Thunder basically gave Lamb away so I'll take the notion of "The Hornets tried to trade for Lamb long before" in proper context.
geometry
MasterIchiro
RealGM
And1: 5,340

Post#444 » by MasterIchiro » Sat Oct 31, 2015 12:47 pm

His 11 vs the Hawks was encouraging. Clifford mentioned he hasn't played in 2 weeks and got tired but the talent is there. In front of the home crowd it will feel good for him to get meaningful minutes. He hasn't played many in his entire career. I don't think he will break out this year but he's certainly instilling more confidence than PJ. I don't think PJ is an NBA player. I'm not sure he's even a YMCA player.
It has been written...
steady
Veteran
And1: 1,351

Post#445 » by steady » Sun Nov 1, 2015 5:43 am

Watching Lamb in Atlanta nail those three shots in a row reminded me of Lamb in his first preseason in Houston when he showed such promise. Silky . quick . release.

Not the aggression of Westbrook more like he was playing jazz out there.

Hope he does well in Charlotte. Back then I remember thinking Lin and he woukd be great together
Vae Victus
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,838

Post#446 » by Vae Victus » Sun Nov 1, 2015 5:55 am

How's his handle and playmaking? I dont recall watching him much as i was focused too much on Lin during the bench stretches. Was he moving well off ball? Setting screens? Making good cuts? Also how is his defense?
Braggins
RealGM
And1: 8,148

Post#447 » by Braggins » Sun Nov 1, 2015 6:02 am

His handle can be loose but hes a pretty good passer actually.
euphorbus
Analyst
And1: 1,480

Post#448 » by euphorbus » Sun Nov 1, 2015 1:06 pm

At least one writer is already calling for Lamb to start. I think that is a bit premature, but the starting lineup definitely needs tweaking, and Hairston is the weakest link:

http://swarmandsting.com/2015/10/31/jeremy-lamb-deserves-a-spot-in-the-starting-line-up-with-the-charlotte-hornets/
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,053

Post#449 » by Liver_Pooty » Sun Nov 1, 2015 2:04 pm

More like common sense for Lamb to start and get big minutes. Hairston is utter garbage
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
LamarMatic7
Hornets Forum High-End Journalist
And1: 2,351

Post#450 » by LamarMatic7 » Sun Nov 1, 2015 2:12 pm

euphorbus wrote:At least one writer is already calling for Lamb to start. I think that is a bit premature, but the starting lineup definitely needs tweaking, and Hairston is the weakest link:

http://swarmandsting.com/2015/10/31/jeremy-lamb-deserves-a-spot-in-the-starting-line-up-with-the-charlotte-hornets/

I don't get all of this buzz about how Hairston starting is unacceptable and how Lamb must absolutely start. Why should he specifically start?

a) As I have said before - there have been plenty of mediocre players who started on good teams. I used Marc Iavaroni as a throw-away example while watching the game and chatting on the game thread. But it actually is a pretty good one. Now looking at it, he started for Utah teams that won 47 and 51 games. Averaged 15.3 and 10.3 minutes per game. Thurl Bailey meanwhile played 34.2 and 33.9 minutes per game during those two years, averaged basically 20 points per game both seasons. If the line-ups make sense there's no reason for one not to start, yet play less minutes.

And so far Hairston has done the job that has been given to him. He did an admirable job on Wade and I see why we could align Hairston's minutes with the superior wing on the other team. Just give him two 6 or 7-minute stretches of defending that guy. They both are questionable defenders (I absolutely hate Hairston's defense off the ball) but PJ has way more potential of defending such one-on-one players due to his size. Clifford said it himself and pointed out that it's the reason for Hairston starting and at least in this case I can see Cliff's reasoning.

b) What I don't get even more is that this criticism is coming off the game at Atlanta. The same exact game where Zeller had a net rating of -27 just because the bench lost the lead and ended up behind in double digits TWICE. Shouldn't you then assume the opposite!? That adding Hairston to the bench and inserting Lamb in the starting line-up would further weaken the bench!?

The starters are 101.0 - 94.6 per 100 possessions so far and have held up with both Miami's and Atlanta's (playoff teams) starting line-ups. As far as they keep this up, they are doing their job.

c) Piggy-backing on the a) argument - starting is totally overrated. One shouldn't worry about what happens in the first minutes of the first and third quarter. Playing more minutes and playing in the fourth quarters are just more important. As long as Lamb gets more minutes than Hairston (obviously, we still haven't seen this happen so this is up in the air) when he's back in game-shape and has recovered from his injury, that's what matters most.

If he keeps up such shooting and then doesn't get at least some more minutes than Hairston then HIS MINUTES are a valid argument. Starting, as I have pointed out, isn't really the main factor here.

and d) which sort of ties all of this together is that we just don't have a good rotation of wings due to MKG's injury. Hairston will get some minutes as will Lamb. I understand the criticism that goes Hairston's way, if you read my blog you certainly know that I don't like Hairston as a player AT ALL. However, he just will play and that's the way it is. It might as well be with the starters as that has worked out fine so far and there is a legit plan behind that.
steady
Veteran
And1: 1,351

Post#451 » by steady » Sun Nov 1, 2015 2:23 pm

Yeah, even then Lamb could pass, and seemed a willing passer.

Lamb was that player who seemed to have it all - the smooth jump shot, intelligence and poise on the court, the physical tools (7.0 wingspan, good athleticism, 6'6"" height)

Houston won Summer League that year - playing a fast read and react system with a lot of ball movement - and Lamb seemed to have an instinctive understanding of the game. Could get open, help his teammates get in position to score too, and just score from all over the court.

On a squad that included Terrence Jones and Montiejunas, Lamb was thought by most to be their best prospect

That's why the news out of OKC that he has terrible decision making, rushes shots, is inconsistent, was hard to imagine.

Defensively - he was still a work in progress - still too light for his position and could get out muscled. But was seen to have potential because of physical gifts. He was a good rebounder.

I think Charlotte will suit him more than OKC - and he does seem one of those players who might respond really well to being in the right situation. But still Clifford's idea of having him come off the bench with Lin is probably a good one for now. I think it will probably take some time for him to settle in
Liver_Pooty
RealGM

Post#452 » by Liver_Pooty » Sun Nov 1, 2015 2:40 pm

LamarMatic7 wrote:
euphorbus wrote:At least one writer is already calling for Lamb to start. I think that is a bit premature, but the starting lineup definitely needs tweaking, and Hairston is the weakest link:

I don't get all of this buzz about how Hairston starting is unacceptable and how Lamb must absolutely start. Why should he specifically start?

a) As I have said before - there have been plenty of mediocre players who started on good teams. I used Marc Iavaroni as a throw-away example while watching the game and chatting on the game thread. But it actually is a pretty good one. Now looking at it, he started for Utah teams that won 47 and 51 games. Averaged 15.3 and 10.3 minutes per game. Thurl Bailey meanwhile played 34.2 and 33.9 minutes per game during those two years, averaged basically 20 points per game both seasons. If the line-ups make sense there's no reason for one not to start, yet play less minutes.

And so far Hairston has done the job that has been given to him. He did an admirable job on Wade and I see why we could align Hairston's minutes with the superior wing on the other team. Just give him two 6 or 7-minute stretches of defending that guy. They both are questionable defenders (I absolutely hate Hairston's defense off the ball) but PJ has way more potential of defending such one-on-one players due to his size. Clifford said it himself and pointed out that it's the reason for Hairston starting and at least in this case I can see Cliff's reasoning.

b) What I don't get even more is that this criticism is coming off the game at Atlanta. The same exact game where Zeller had a net rating of -27 just because the bench lost the lead and ended up behind in double digits TWICE. Shouldn't you then assume the opposite!? That adding Hairston to the bench and inserting Lamb in the starting line-up would further weaken the bench!?

The starters are 101.0 - 94.6 per 100 possessions so far and have held up with both Miami's and Atlanta's (playoff teams) starting line-ups. As far as they keep this up, they are doing their job.

c) Piggy-backing on the a) argument - starting is totally overrated. One shouldn't worry about what happens in the first minutes of the first and third quarter. Playing more minutes and playing in the fourth quarters are just more important. As long as Lamb gets more minutes than Hairston (obviously, we still haven't seen this happen so this is up in the air) when he's back in game-shape and has recovered from his injury, that's what matters most.

If he keeps up such shooting and then doesn't get at least some more minutes than Hairston then HIS MINUTES are a valid argument. Starting, as I have pointed out, isn't really the main factor here.

and d) which sort of ties all of this together is that we just don't have a good rotation of wings due to MKG's injury. Hairston will get some minutes as will Lamb. I understand the criticism that goes Hairston's way, if you read my blog you certainly know that I don't like Hairston as a player AT ALL. However, he just will play and that's the way it is. It might as well be with the starters as that has worked out fine so far and there is a legit plan behind that.

It's not about Hairston or Lamb starting necessarily. Hairston shouldn't see any minutes at all. Clifford trying to put confidence in him about being a good defender is garbage as well. He literally brings absolutely nothing.
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
LamarMatic7

Post#453 » by LamarMatic7 » Sun Nov 1, 2015 2:49 pm

Liver_Pooty wrote:
It's not about Hairston or Lamb starting necessarily. Hairston shouldn't see any minutes at all. Clifford trying to put confidence in him about being a good defender is garbage as well. He literally brings absolutely nothing.

That's what euphorbus, that writer and many commenters say. And starting is the issue that I addressed. So in this case it was about that. And I don't see why Hairston shouldn't see any minutes AT ALL. In that case, either Lamb has to prove that he can regularly have good games when playing 30+ minutes or we roll out Roberts/Kemba, Roberts/Lin lineups. (Troy Daniels isn't an option at this point, still injured)

And, hey, as I said I don't like his defense either but he did a good job against Wade. That was at least something.
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,654

Post#454 » by yosemiteben » Sun Nov 1, 2015 2:53 pm

The amount of patience folks on here are willing to show PJ is about the same amount that Brooks showed Lamb. Irony.
Mystical Apples
Assistant Coach

Post#455 » by Mystical Apples » Sun Nov 1, 2015 3:07 pm

PJ is held to a different standard for some strange reason. Maybe it's because his mistakes are more obvious, like missing shots, while Lambs are subtle but also more damaging like poor defensive recognition.

PJs defense has been mixed but decent and the last thing the starting unit needs is another dribbling machine with sticky fingers. That's been lambs MO thus far. It's more important how units perform together and with this team Al and Kemba with Lamb would hinder ball movement. Pj is starting because he moves the ball quickly and Clifford sees more defensive potential.
geometry
Mystical Apples
Assistant Coach

Post#456 » by Mystical Apples » Sun Nov 1, 2015 3:14 pm

BTW PJ is only starting because of Al. Clifford has been trying like hell to make the Kemba/Al starting combo work and that's only possible if the other players can defend, pass, and space the floor.

So far PJ has only played 1 full minute without Al on the floor.
geometry
LamarMatic7

Post#457 » by LamarMatic7 » Sun Nov 1, 2015 3:17 pm

Mystical Apples wrote:So far PJ has only played 1 full minute without Al on the floor.

Great stat and observation on your part.
DY_nasty
General Manager
And1: 4,946

Post#458 » by DY_nasty » Mon Nov 2, 2015 2:31 am

I am pleasantly surprised with Lamb so far. Didn't think he was anywhere near this assertive or smart with the ball.
Liver_Pooty
RealGM

Post#459 » by Liver_Pooty » Mon Nov 2, 2015 2:34 am

Mystical Apples wrote:BTW PJ is only starting because of Al. Clifford has been trying like hell to make the Kemba/Al starting combo work and that's only possible if the other players can defend, pass, and space the floor.

So far PJ has only played 1 full minute without Al on the floor.

Could start Lebron freaking James next to them and I doubt that combo would work.
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,539

Post#460 » by HornetJail » Mon Nov 2, 2015 2:40 am

Start this man. PJ can't shoot to save his **** life
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR

Return to Charlotte Hornets