120 Guarantees: the Nic Batum thread

Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 17,833

Re: L'Artiste: the Nic Batum thread 

Post#821 » by Diop » Sat Aug 6, 2016 4:04 am

Boomers looked horrible in warm up games, but then released a statement saying they were great in a non televised session where Bogut starred. seems a little too convenient for me, I think France will do Aussies easily.

Batum will probably match up on Joe Ingles whose like a skinny, white guy version of Batum but just less skilled.

Injury risk for Batum: probably only if Bogut clobbers him, or Nathan Jawai falls on him
spaceballer
Head Coach
And1: 2,707

Post#822 » by spaceballer » Sun Aug 7, 2016 4:12 am

Scott Fowler article in the Observer on Batum's performance in the Olympics.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/scott-fowler/article94167867.html

I guess the one silver lining is that Batum says he's feeling healthy, so that's not an issue impacting his play in the Olympics.
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#823 » by Diop » Sun Aug 7, 2016 4:15 am

So should trade him for Jo Ingles :D
reelsgm
Junior
And1: 71

Post#824 » by reelsgm » Sun Aug 7, 2016 2:04 pm

Diop wrote:So should trade him for Jo Ingles :D

Could trade one month of Batum's salary for 3 years of Jo Ingles.

Scott Fowler is a bit over-the-top:
"If all you knew about Nic Batum was the one game he played in these Olympics so far, you would truly believe that the Charlotte Hornets just made the worst decision of their lives last month when they gave him the biggest contract in franchise history."

Batum will turn it up in the medal rounds , he always plays big in the big games.
"I don't like the word REBUILD... I know Kenny and everyone at some point that word has floated around... I want it to happen NOW" - JLIN
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,540

Post#825 » by HornetJail » Sun Aug 7, 2016 3:19 pm

Diop wrote:So should trade him for Jo Ingles :D

Could trade one month of Batum's salary for 3 years of Jo Ingles.

Scott Fowler is a bit over-the-top:
"If all you knew about Nic Batum was the one game he played in these Olympics so far, you would truly believe that the Charlotte Hornets just made the worst decision of their lives last month when they gave him the biggest contract in franchise history."

LOL you could literally say that about every player after a bad game.
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,654

Post#826 » by yosemiteben » Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:26 pm

Read on Twitter

@Nick_Sciria
And you could say that the Batum addition had something to do with Kemba's increased efficiency as well. (@nbawowy) https://t.co/jjR1cPk6l0

Read on Twitter

@Nick_Sciria
Here's how other key contributors on the Charlotte Hornets were impacted when playing without Batum. (h/t @nbawowy) https://t.co/eNddqjibHp
LamarMatic7
Hornets Forum High-End Journalist
And1: 2,351

Post#827 » by LamarMatic7 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:56 pm

another Scott Fowler article. Batum pretty much blames a lesser role for his unimpressive stats:
http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/scott-fowler/article96260972.html

“The way this national team is built, they don’t ask me to do the same things,” Batum said. “They don’t ask me to do what I did all year in Charlotte, the things I was successful at all year.”

Is that frustrating?

“A little bit,” Batum said. “But I know what I have to do. I have to push my ego to the side and work for the team. That’s what I’ve been doing for the past two years (on the national team). I knew we could win anyway. I could do more, but they ask me to do it this way. So I do it.”

The Hornets will ask him to do what he did last season, of course. The ball was often in Batum’s hands as a point forward who took playmaking pressure off Kemba Walker. And while Batum basically never drove to the basket and rarely created in these Olympics, he will be asked to do so in Charlotte.

“I will be the same guy in Charlotte,” Batum said, “because I will have the ball in my hands more again.”
bravor
Starter
And1: 737

Post#828 » by bravor » Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:00 pm

Fyi, he questions the fact that De Colo - who starts for our NT since last couple of years, before Nic was starting at the 2 - and Parker run all of our offense, with Diaw as a relay in the frontcourt.
Anyway he needs a break from NT. I hope he rests the next two years, and improves his game.
LamarMatic7
Hornets Forum High-End Journalist
And1: 2,351

Post#829 » by LamarMatic7 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:39 pm

bravor wrote:Fyi, he questions the fact that De Colo - who starts for our NT since last couple of years, before Nic was starting at the 2 - and Parker run all of our offense, with Diaw as a relay in the frontcourt.
Anyway he needs a break from NT. I hope he rests the next two years, and improves his game.

Imo, this year's time was held back from the fact that Parker had to have a role on the court.

You got a nice future if you can successfully move forward re-structure the team around Gobert in the middle and with De Colo, Fournier and Batum outside driving and playing PnRs with him. Lauvergne's a fantastic back-up, plus probably can play minutes with these guys as the 4 spacing the court.

I love Bobo but it might be time for him to go as well, unless he also accepts a Navarro-like lesser role.
antique0o0
Senior
And1: 53

Post#830 » by antique0o0 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:32 pm

LamarMatic7 wrote:another Scott Fowler article. Batum pretty much blames a lesser role for his unimpressive stats:
http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/scott-fowler/article96260972.html

“The way this national team is built, they don’t ask me to do the same things,” Batum said. “They don’t ask me to do what I did all year in Charlotte, the things I was successful at all year.”

Is that frustrating?

“A little bit,” Batum said. “But I know what I have to do. I have to push my ego to the side and work for the team. That’s what I’ve been doing for the past two years (on the national team). I knew we could win anyway. I could do more, but they ask me to do it this way. So I do it.”

The Hornets will ask him to do what he did last season, of course. The ball was often in Batum’s hands as a point forward who took playmaking pressure off Kemba Walker. And while Batum basically never drove to the basket and rarely created in these Olympics, he will be asked to do so in Charlotte.

“I will be the same guy in Charlotte,” Batum said, “because I will have the ball in my hands more again.”

Nic's strength is distributing the ball. Not ball handling and not driving to the basket.
bws94
Head Coach
And1: 1,222

Post#831 » by bws94 » Sat Aug 20, 2016 7:17 pm

Best news is he stayed healthy. Back in the Hornets system, he'll be back to his distribution role.
BatumtheGlue
Starter
And1: 441

Post#832 » by BatumtheGlue » Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:14 am

I don't give a **** what he was doing in Rio, all i care about is he is healthy.
Mamut menteng ureh utusku, isen mulang jite penyangku.
Credit to amcoolio for the signature .gif.
TinmanZBoy
Head Coach
And1: 4,720

Post#833 » by TinmanZBoy » Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:55 am

Nic has a lot Diaw in him, you guys just have to hope he is the the Spurs' Diaw in the future
Hi Clutchie, I love you... :kiss
reelsgm
Junior

Post#834 » by reelsgm » Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:12 pm

TinmanZBoy wrote:Nic has a lot Diaw in him, you guys just have to hope he is the the Spurs' Diaw in the future

The Spurs Diaw was the Charlotte Diaw. What Diaw does on the floor was cultivated by the Spurs system but low FGA and love of passing criticized as "lack of intensity" in Charlotte.

Batum having 2012 Diaw in him works fine for Clifford.
"I don't like the word REBUILD... I know Kenny and everyone at some point that word has floated around... I want it to happen NOW" - JLIN
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#835 » by Diop » Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:11 am

reelsgm wrote:
TinmanZBoy wrote:Nic has a lot Diaw in him, you guys just have to hope he is the the Spurs' Diaw in the future

The Spurs Diaw was the Charlotte Diaw. What Diaw does on the floor was cultivated by the Spurs system but low FGA and love of passing criticized as "lack of intensity" in Charlotte.

Batum having 2012 Diaw in him works fine for Clifford.

Agreed, Diaw was good on our playoff team, didn't look great on our tanking team because we wanted him to be the alpha male on offence, that's just not him.

he still gave us plenty of memorable games. so talented, you do get frustrated as you know he could take over games NBA star style, but he just doesn't play that way
BatumtheGlue
Starter
And1: 441

Post#836 » by BatumtheGlue » Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:19 pm

And some delusional guys think RHJ are better than Bats at this point of their careers. Prove it this season Bats!
Mamut menteng ureh utusku, isen mulang jite penyangku.
Credit to amcoolio for the signature .gif.
reelsgm
Junior

Post#837 » by reelsgm » Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:46 pm

BatumtheGlue wrote:And some delusional guys think RHJ are better than Bats at this point of their careers. Prove it this season Bats!

Batum can shoot, RHJ's jumpshot motion recollects MKG's form (old form?) and is just about as accurate too. Batum likes to pass and has a repertoire of passes, RHJ hasn't shown anything.

Current trajectories are nowhere similar - RHJ if anything is looking like MKG.
RKL
Junior
And1: 78

Post#838 » by RKL » Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:30 pm

Would Hornets do a Deng for Batum swap?
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,624

Post#839 » by fatlever » Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:34 pm

RKL wrote:Would Hornets do a Deng for Batum swap?

What would be the point of that trade for the Hornets? Doesn't make much sense.
RKL
Junior
And1: 78

Post#840 » by RKL » Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:40 pm

fatlever wrote:
RKL wrote:Would Hornets do a Deng for Batum swap?

What would be the point of that trade for the Hornets? Doesn't make much sense.

Guess just seeing which fans may prefer. What are the Hornets in search of right now?

Return to Charlotte Hornets