amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
And1: 9,239

Re: 2017 All Star Game Moved From Charlotte 

Post#461 » by amcoolio » Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:53 am

fatlever wrote:
Jenna JohnsonVerified account
‏@wpjenna
North Carolina Gov. Pat McCrory (R) takes the stage at Trump's rally and jokes: "If any of you need to use the restroom..." Crowd laughs.

Our governor thinks the state losing millions to potentially billions of dollar is something to joke about.

I don't support domestic violence. Thanks Miles
EwingSweatsALot
Veteran
And1: 919

Post#462 » by EwingSweatsALot » Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:55 am

fatlever wrote:
‏@wpjenna
North Carolina Gov. Pat McCrory (R) takes the stage at Trump's rally and jokes: "If any of you need to use the restroom..." Crowd laughs.

Our governor thinks the state losing millions to potentially billions of dollar is something to joke about.

Was he this clueless and moronic when he was mayor of Charlotte? Living in SC and not caring much about politics I didn't follow him at all really.
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,621

Post#463 » by fatlever » Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:00 am

EwingSweatsALot wrote:
fatlever wrote:
‏@wpjenna

Was he this clueless and moronic when he was mayor of Charlotte? Living in SC and not caring much about politics I didn't follow him at all really.

Well, he was mayor when the Hornets left the city for New Orleans. Even though that was 75% Shinn/Woolridges fault, McCrory certainly did not help.
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,539

Re: Charlotte All-Star Game 2017 

Post#464 » by HornetJail » Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:32 am

ace88 wrote:
PG13 wrote:Good for the Canes:

[tweet]https://twitter.com/NHLCanes/status/713444024149913600[/tweet]

If you vote for the LGBT laws you apparently do support discrimination against those with traditional values. That is why LGBT want this passed, so they can continue their crusade of suing everything that has to do with Christianity.

Traditional values my ass. 20 years from now, this whole thing is going to be looked back on like we look at the civil rights movements in the 50s-70s. Except instead of skin color, it's about which body parts you have. Remember when the ability to own slaves, or make "colored people" go to separate places from white people, was a "traditional value"? Keep living in the 60s bro. Using religion to justify your hate of a group of people is borderline extremist behavior.

The whole "persecuted christian" act is an absolute joke by the way
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,539

Post#465 » by HornetJail » Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:35 am

fatlever wrote:
‏@wpjenna

If this clown (and the congressmen who let this happen) get re-elected, the state kind of deserves it.
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,654

Post#466 » by yosemiteben » Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:28 pm

Kemba not exactly shying away from this issue: http://www.theplayerstribune.com/kemba-walker-hornets-how-i-can-help/

Cheeze
Junior
And1: 79

Post#467 » by Cheeze » Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:46 pm

All laws discriminate against someone. There is no law that 'includes' everyone. And the argument for inclusion is weak. The NBA is a male-only league. I'm sure Kemba would welcome a female on the team if she could play. But the fact is that the NBA discriminates against women. There's no backlash against it because it's a JUST discrimination. Young men can't apply for membership in the NBA club until they've spent a year out of high school. That rule discriminates due to age. The NBA is one of the most EXCLUSIVE clubs in this country. I don't buy the inclusiveness argument.

HB2 has holes and there are parts of it I think are overreach that should be modified or removed. The bathroom part of the law, the MINOR part, the part that's getting all the attention, re-applies a JUST discrimination that the city of Charlotte attempted to remove. HB2 isn't discriminatory against gays. It isn't anti-bi. It's not even anti-transgender. Where a person went to the bathroom wasn't a problem before the city's ordinance and it isn't a problem now with HB2. A transgender person will go in the bathroom of their choice and there won't be anybody there to kick them out any more than there were bathroom police before the ordinance. Pervs will get theirs no matter which bathroom they go in to.

The rhetoric over this minor issue is laughably insane. And now the exclusive all-boys millionaire's club has picked it as a banner call for social change. Folks should have the right to sue if they've been discriminated against unjustly. Communities should be able to set their own wage standards. Those are the real issues that need to be discussed. As for bathrooms, I don't want women in my bathroom and I certainly don't want men in my wife's and daughters' bathroom either. That's proper and just separation.
Vanderbilt_Grad
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,771

Post#468 » by Vanderbilt_Grad » Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:37 pm

Actually there is no rule preventing women from playing in the NBA. As far back as the 1980s women have tried out for teams. In 2013 Cuban made a bit of news when he was considering Brittney Griner for the Mavs. I suspect that we eventually may see a woman playing - though ironically I have no idea how they will work out the locker room logistics.

The WNBA *is* exclusive.
My picks:
2020 Draft (3rd pick) - Tyrese Haliburton, Devin Vassell, or Onyeka Okongwu
2021 Draft (11th pick) - Moses Moody
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets

Post#469 » by fatlever » Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:11 pm

How Mecklenburg county senate and house reps voted
http://www.charlottefive.com/nba-all-star-game-hb2/

Is Charlotte really against HB2?

The feel in Charlotte is that the city, as a whole, is against HB2, probably because the City Council passed the LGBT nondiscrimination ordinance that started this whole thing back in February. Whether or not that’s true depends on who you ask. McCrory is the face of HB2, but 114 elected officials in North Carolina voted for the bill, 26 voted no, and 28 were absent.

Mecklenburg County has 12 members in the state house, and how they voted may surprise you:
5 Mecklenburg County state representatives voted for HB2:

– Republican Dan Bishop
– Republican Jacqueline Michelle Schaffer (who has since resigned)
– Republican John R. Bradford, III
– Republican Rob Bryan
– Republican William Brawley
And 4 voted against:

– Democrat Carla D. Cunningham
– Democrat Kelly M. Alexander, Jr
– Democrat Rodney W. Moore
– Democrat Tricia Ann Cotham

(Democrats Becky Carney and Beverly M. Earle, and Republican Charles Jeter — who announced his resignation yesterday — were absent.)

So more Mecklenburg County state representatives voted for HB2 than voted against it. If these Representatives truly reflect the area, can Charlotte say it’s against HB2?
The N.C. Senate is a slightly different story.

Only one senator from Mecklenburg County voted for HB2: Republican Jeff Tarte. The rest did not attend the session:

– Democrat Joel D.M. Ford
– Democrat Jeff Jackson
– Republican Bob Rucho
– Democrat Joyce Waddell
Here’s what we should be thinking about.

Whether you’re upset at the loss in revenue and national attention or you think this is all “PC BS” from the NBA, it’s important to know these people and how they voted. The governor may or may not get elected in November, but there are 17 other Mecklenburg County officials that make decisions for us and our state. It’s important to know who these people are and know if they truly represent your views.
SWedd523
RealGM
And1: 5,172

Post#470 » by SWedd523 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:59 pm

Good luck finding any politician who represents all of your views
LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,519

Post#471 » by LofJ » Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:02 pm

SWedd523 wrote:Good luck finding any politician who represents all of your views

It's pretty easy actually, you just need to visit a mirror. Hopefully one day elections will be publicly funded and more people will be able to run for office.
SWedd523
RealGM

Post#472 » by SWedd523 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:09 pm

Cheeze wrote:All laws discriminate against someone. There is no law that 'includes' everyone. And the argument for inclusion is weak. The NBA is a male-only league. I'm sure Kemba would welcome a female on the team if she could play. But the fact is that the NBA discriminates against women. There's no backlash against it because it's a JUST discrimination. Young men can't apply for membership in the NBA club until they've spent a year out of high school. That rule discriminates due to age. The NBA is one of the most EXCLUSIVE clubs in this country. I don't buy the inclusiveness argument.

HB2 has holes and there are parts of it I think are overreach that should be modified or removed. The bathroom part of the law, the MINOR part, the part that's getting all the attention, re-applies a JUST discrimination that the city of Charlotte attempted to remove. HB2 isn't discriminatory against gays. It isn't anti-bi. It's not even anti-transgender. Where a person went to the bathroom wasn't a problem before the city's ordinance and it isn't a problem now with HB2. A transgender person will go in the bathroom of their choice and there won't be anybody there to kick them out any more than there were bathroom police before the ordinance. Pervs will get theirs no matter which bathroom they go in to.

The rhetoric over this minor issue is laughably insane. And now the exclusive all-boys millionaire's club has picked it as a banner call for social change. Folks should have the right to sue if they've been discriminated against unjustly. Communities should be able to set their own wage standards. Those are the real issues that need to be discussed. As for bathrooms, I don't want women in my bathroom and I certainly don't want men in my wife's and daughters' bathroom either. That's proper and just separation.

And this is actually a pretty interesting argument for me personally as it's not just happening in regular society, though the discussion is obviously centered around different aspects.

SecDef Carter came out recently and opened all military jobs to women and transgender people, including Army and Marines Infantry and all positions in Special Operations. Women have already attended (and dubiously passed through) Ranger School and it was just announced that the first two women have been approved to attend SFAS.

Times are definitely changing
SWedd523
RealGM

Post#473 » by SWedd523 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:13 pm

LofJ wrote:
SWedd523 wrote:Good luck finding any politician who represents all of your views

It's pretty easy actually, you just need to visit a mirror. Hopefully one day elections will be publicly funded and more people will be able to run for office.

any politician holding office*

Without delving into a broader political discussion, I think term limits for Congress should be implemented immediately. That might help curtail some of the bull these jagaloons have been doing in recent years (decades).
SpearNMgicHelmt
Senior
And1: 160

Post#474 » by SpearNMgicHelmt » Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:51 am

MotorKeepsGoing wrote:
fatlever wrote:
‏@wpjenna

If this clown (and the congressmen who let this happen) get re-elected, the state kind of deserves it.

I think McCrory is probably toast. But with the rest, NC currently has districts that are gerrymandered heavily in favor of the Republicans.
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets

Post#475 » by fatlever » Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:25 am

Eoghan
RealGM
And1: 3,293

Post#476 » by Eoghan » Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:33 am

SWedd523 wrote:
Cheeze wrote:All laws discriminate against someone. There is no law that 'includes' everyone. And the argument for inclusion is weak. The NBA is a male-only league. I'm sure Kemba would welcome a female on the team if she could play. But the fact is that the NBA discriminates against women. There's no backlash against it because it's a JUST discrimination. Young men can't apply for membership in the NBA club until they've spent a year out of high school. That rule discriminates due to age. The NBA is one of the most EXCLUSIVE clubs in this country. I don't buy the inclusiveness argument.

And this is actually a pretty interesting argument for me personally as it's not just happening in regular society, though the discussion is obviously centered around different aspects.

SecDef Carter came out recently and opened all military jobs to women and transgender people, including Army and Marines Infantry and all positions in Special Operations. Women have already attended (and dubiously passed through) Ranger School and it was just announced that the first two women have been approved to attend SFAS.

Times are definitely changing

Did they decide if women are eligible to be drafted into service? I remember hearing that it could be a possibility. What do service personnel think of women possibly being conscripted in the future?
SWedd523
RealGM

Post#477 » by SWedd523 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:53 pm

Eoghan wrote:Did they decide if women are eligible to be drafted into service? I remember hearing that it could be a possibility. What do service personnel think of women possibly being conscripted in the future?

It passed the Senate but (AFAIK) is waiting on the House to make a decision. Most are against women in combat or special duty roles, but the prevailing thought is that if they're allowed to go infantry, then it makes sense to open the draft (can't have one without the other argument).
tonman
Senior
And1: 131

Post#478 » by tonman » Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:07 am

The problem is masses are asses. Communities setting their own wage standards may sound good unless you are the person getting screwed by that wage standard. The most important thing about this country is individual freedom. Do we have religious freedoms if Christians get to push their agenda on others? All these laws eroding away at abortion rights are for women's health. Did people survey all women to listen to what they want?

This law is a political stunt which put a lot of politicians in a bind because it touts religious freedom and in the south if you aren't church going, politics isn't in your future.
tonman
Senior
And1: 131

Post#479 » by tonman » Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:15 am

SWedd523 wrote:
Eoghan wrote:Did they decide if women are eligible to be drafted into service? I remember hearing that it could be a possibility. What do service personnel think of women possibly being conscripted in the future?

It passed the Senate but (AFAIK) is waiting on the House to make a decision. Most are against women in combat or special duty roles, but the prevailing thought is that if they're allowed to go infantry, then it makes sense to open the draft (can't have one without the other argument).

As mentioned above changes like this takes time. If we continue to view women as helpless weak and always needing someone to come to their rescue, little girls will continue to look pass activities and careers that are more physical in nature .... a man's job. That is why discrimination is a bad thing not only at current but it affects the future generations also. Hillary has a chance to be president. 50 to 60 years ago it was frowned upon if women looked to have a career instead of being a homemaker.

We can't legislate equality but we must be vigilant to prevent discrimination.

As to the draft, I don't think women would be opposed to the draft. But opening the door to military service to all the citizens in this country and not just half probably will make a draft moot.
Snidely FC
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,141

Post#480 » by Snidely FC » Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:08 pm

Rotten Tomatoes to the NBA for awarding this game to Louisiana, a state equally conservative to NC on the pertinent gender issues. Totally hypocritical.

Return to Charlotte Hornets