Rio Olympics

Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,621

Rio Olympics 

Post#1 » by fatlever » Tue Aug 2, 2016 4:30 pm

Thought it would be fun to have a dedicated thread to talk about the Olympics for the next two weeks. I for one will be following the awful conditions and pollution. #rioproblems

http://www.nbcolympics.com/tv-listings

http://www.nbcolympics.com/live-stream-schedule

http://www.nbcolympics.com/full-schedule
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets

Re: Rio Olympics 

Post#2 » by fatlever » Tue Aug 2, 2016 4:31 pm

here's a good graphic to get the basketball juices flowing

Flip Murray
Hornets Forum Spelling Bee
And1: 1,987

Post#3 » by Flip Murray » Tue Aug 2, 2016 4:33 pm

Flip Murray wrote:don't know where to post but I found a really cool channel for team USA

It's got tons of behind the scenes practice videos and stuff for team USA. Good ****. I wish Zeller was playing for the select team.

about Draymond dick pic

fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets

Post#4 » by fatlever » Tue Aug 2, 2016 4:34 pm

Read on Twitter

Andrew Bogut has been on fire on twitter today making fun of the conditions
https://twitter.com/andrewbogut

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Flip Murray

Post#5 » by Flip Murray » Tue Aug 2, 2016 4:34 pm

Its a little disheartening how it seems like the gap between the US and rest of the world has gotten bigger in basketball. Kind of a bad look for global basketball
Flip Murray

Post#6 » by Flip Murray » Tue Aug 2, 2016 4:37 pm

what's everybody's favorite olympic sports?

I always enjoy the gymnastics actually. Everything is more fun if there is a good american or team to cheer for.
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets

Post#7 » by fatlever » Tue Aug 2, 2016 4:43 pm

#rioproblems

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

:o
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 43,123

Post#8 » by JDR720 » Tue Aug 2, 2016 4:43 pm

Flip Murray wrote:what's everybody's favorite olympic sports?

I always enjoy the gymnastics actually. Everything is more fun if there is a good american or team to cheer for.

i like the winter olympics more than summer olympics.

i like the gymnastics and diving/swimming. also think i would like the archery and fencing. i dont like the basketball, the games aren't competitive usually.

here is all the sports
https://www.olympic.org/sports
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets

Post#9 » by fatlever » Tue Aug 2, 2016 4:45 pm

I'll usually pay attention to the major stuff, swimming, track and field and gymnastics. Doubt I will watch much basketball. I'll watch some of the soccer. And then perhaps catch some of the random stuff. Do not care at all about any of the fighting, boxing, wrestling, weight lifting, fencing.
Flip Murray

Post#10 » by Flip Murray » Tue Aug 2, 2016 4:46 pm

JDR720 wrote:

i like the winter olympics more than summer olympics.

i like the gymnastics and diving/swimming. also think i would like the archery and fencing. i dont like the basketball, the games aren't competitive usually.

here is all the sports
https://www.olympic.org/sports

I love the cycling one where they are on that little track and just go in circles super fast
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets

Post#11 » by fatlever » Tue Aug 2, 2016 4:49 pm

Flip Murray wrote:

I love the cycling one where they are on that little track and just go in circles super fast

or sometimes really really slow, as they play cat and mouse. Did you know that Rock Hill, SC has an Olympic quality velodrome? Its about 5 minutes from where I work.
http://www.cityofrockhill.com/departments/parks-recreation-tourism/parks-facilities/giordana-velodrome
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,654

Post#12 » by yosemiteben » Tue Aug 2, 2016 5:33 pm

There's a fantastic ping pong /table tennis documentary on Netflix. Ping pong is becoming my favorite random summer olympics sport like curling is my favorite random winter one.

Professional ping pong is crazy:

fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets

Post#13 » by fatlever » Tue Aug 2, 2016 5:57 pm

Read on Twitter
LamarMatic7
Hornets Forum High-End Journalist
And1: 2,351

Post#14 » by LamarMatic7 » Wed Aug 3, 2016 9:10 am

Flip Murray wrote:Its a little disheartening how it seems like the gap between the US and rest of the world has gotten bigger in basketball. Kind of a bad look for global basketball

Yeah, no one has a real powerhouse at this exact point.

Barcelona '92 influenced so many but it seems like it has almost petered out. Croatia in the early 90s, Serbia/Yugoslavia in the mid 90s, Spain in the mid 2000s, Argentina in the mid 2000s, Greece in the mid 2000s, Turkey in the mid 2000s - all of these countries had their best years in the past. It's almost ridiculous that Argentina is still going to the Olympics in 2016 with that same gang.

France is the closest to its peak years but probably can also be considered to be on the downslide due to Parker's and Diaw's age.

There's a spot to be taken as the next best team in the world. Perhaps, the Aussies or Canada could be that team.
LamarMatic7

Post#15 » by LamarMatic7 » Wed Aug 3, 2016 9:12 am

fatlever wrote:

I'll usually pay attention to the major stuff, swimming, track and field and gymnastics. Doubt I will watch much basketball. I'll watch some of the soccer. And then perhaps catch some of the random stuff. Do not care at all about any of the fighting, boxing, wrestling, weight lifting, fencing.

I don't think I've ever seen an Olympic soccer game. That competition absolutely doesn't resonate in Europe due to its low importance.
Braggins
RealGM
And1: 8,148

Post#16 » by Braggins » Wed Aug 3, 2016 10:03 am

yosemiteben wrote:There's a fantastic ping pong /table tennis documentary on Netflix. Ping pong is becoming my favorite random summer olympics sport like curling is my favorite random winter one.

Professional ping pong is crazy:

Dude, table tennis is easily my favorite Olympic sport to watch. It might actually just be my third favorite sport to watch in general behind NBA and boxing. High level table tennis is nucking futs.
SWedd523
RealGM
And1: 5,172

Post#17 » by SWedd523 » Wed Aug 3, 2016 10:12 am

Why stop there?

Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 17,833

Post#18 » by Diop » Wed Aug 3, 2016 10:23 am

LamarMatic7 wrote:
Flip Murray wrote:Its a little disheartening how it seems like the gap between the US and rest of the world has gotten bigger in basketball. Kind of a bad look for global basketball

Barcelona '92 influenced so many but it seems like it has almost petered out. Croatia in the early 90s, Serbia/Yugoslavia in the mid 90s, Spain in the mid 2000s, Argentina in the mid 2000s, Greece in the mid 2000s, Turkey in the mid 2000s - all of these countries had their best years in the past. It's almost ridiculous that Argentina is still going to the Olympics in 2016 with that same gang.

France is the closest to its peak years but probably can also be considered to be on the downslide due to Parker's and Diaw's age.

There's a spot to be taken as the next best team in the world. Perhaps, the Aussies or Canada could be that team.

there are some exciting times ahead with the Aussie team with a lot of kids of naturalised American basketball imports and refugees like Thon Maker coming through. I don't know about being the next best team, but we will definitely be an interesting team if Maker, Simmons and Exum develop.
LamarMatic7

Post#19 » by LamarMatic7 » Wed Aug 3, 2016 10:27 am

Diop wrote:
LamarMatic7 wrote:

there are some exciting times ahead with the Aussie team with a lot of kids of naturalised American basketball imports and refugees like Thon Maker coming through. I don't know about being the next best team, but we will definitely be an interesting team if Maker, Simmons and Exum develop.

Maker, Simmons and Exum is definitely something a bit different than Gaze, Heal and Bradtke.
LamarMatic7

Post#20 » by LamarMatic7 » Wed Aug 3, 2016 10:29 am

Diop wrote:There's a spot to be taken as the next best team in the world. Perhaps, the Aussies or Canada could be that team.

there are some exciting times ahead with the Aussie team with a lot of kids of naturalised American basketball imports and refugees like Thon Maker coming through. I don't know about being the next best team, but we will definitely be an interesting team if Maker, Simmons and Exum develop.[/quote]

I've probably said this already but you guys having a coach of Latvian descent makes me, the modest Latvian, somewhat proud.

Return to Charlotte Hornets