ImageImage

I'm BACKKKKKKKK!!: The Steve Clifford Thread

Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

MasterIchiro
RealGM
And1: 5,343

Re: I'm BACKKKKKKKK!!: The Steve Clifford Thread 

Post#441 » by MasterIchiro » Thu Mar 7, 2024 11:48 am

Many fans will disagree but I think it was a mistake for the owners not to fire him. Instead, they have the new head of operations at the podium deflecting, glowing about how "magical" conversations were with Clifford in Brooklyn.

It's too much to stomach.

How can you make the organization "premiere" by prolonging the tenure of a mediocre coach?

Instead, maybe recommendations to keep him beyond the deadline had something to do with Peterson's talent evaluation over these last 20 games. Any further upheaval of the system after the overhaul of the roster at the deadline might impact player performance and hinder the evaluation process. I can understand that.

But the disconnect between premiere and mediocre is real. And it's embarrassing Peterson had to deflect.

Not hiring a real coach midstream saves the owners money. And btw, Hornets retain one of the lowest payrolls in the game. The Bucks hired Doc Rivers halfway through the season, paid him handsomely. I get that they're the Bucks and they're competitive.

But the Detroit Pistons are paying Monty Williams 12 million per season on a multiyear deal. Maybe not the best use of resources for a lottery team, but it beats the new head of operations glowing about Steve Clifford coming off these 2 failed seasons under his leadership. There have been zero signs of magic here during that time, while fans have suffered.

And frankly, it's messy. We deserve a cleaner reboot.
It has been written...
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,660

Post#442 » by yosemiteben » Thu Mar 7, 2024 12:46 pm

Wow, you went from criticizing us of peak negativity to pretty negative yourself really fast.

I don't see the point of firing Cliff now. There's like a month left in the season, if we do a traditional coaching search it might not even be done before the season is over anyway and there might be promising candidates that fall loose after the season that aren't available now (I'm specifically hoping LAC flames out and Ty Lue becomes available).

It seems unrealistic to think the new GM is going to fire the coach on his first day when we're 60 games into the season.
wilson115
Sixth Man
And1: 968

Post#443 » by wilson115 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:57 pm

Return to Charlotte Hornets