Miles next court date is this week Friday, August 19th
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
CuseMayne
Sixth Man
And1: 1,372

Re: Felony Charges: The Miles Bridges Thread 

Post#2 » by CuseMayne » Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:16 am

I'm sadly just operating under the assumption that his situation will be shrowded in mystery indefinitely. So unfair for us. What is this next court date even resolving? Simply scheduling when the next court date will be??
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,624

Post#3 » by fatlever » Tue Aug 16, 2022 1:57 pm

Maybe our resident lawyers can chime in, but I assume if this somehow goes to trial it will be many months from now.

Sent from my SM-G973U using RealGM Forums mobile app
JMAC3
General Manager
And1: 4,164

Post#4 » by JMAC3 » Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:19 pm

fatlever wrote:Maybe our resident lawyers can chime in, but I assume if this somehow goes to trial it will be many months from now.

Yeah, not sure. I do think there is a chance this is settled before trial though. If that is case we might get news Friday and then it would be up to NBA to decide punishment.

Very unlikely Miles thinks he can win in court.

Outcomes:
1. Settles out of court: NBA determines fine/suspension + settlement (fines, jail time, etc.)
2. Goes to Court and Found Guilty: Serves court ordered punishment + NBA fine/suspension
3. Goes to Court and Found Innocent: NBA can not punish him with fine.

1. Would save him money, probably reduced sentence and faster process so that NBA suspension can begin now, vs sitting half the season then serving additional suspended games on top.
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
Bassman
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,525

Post#5 » by Bassman » Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:41 pm

JMAC3 wrote:
fatlever wrote:Maybe our resident lawyers can chime in, but I assume if this somehow goes to trial it will be many months from now.

Very unlikely Miles thinks he can win in court.
Outcomes:
1. Settles out of court: NBA determines fine/suspension + settlement (fines, jail time, etc.)
2. Goes to Court and Found Guilty: Serves court ordered punishment + NBA fine/suspension
3. Goes to Court and Found Innocent: NBA can not punish him with fine.

1. Would save him money, probably reduced sentence and faster process so that NBA suspension can begin now, vs sitting half the season then serving additional suspended games on top.

This being a criminal charge, there is no “settling” out of court, not in the sense that lawsuits or civil trials go. Bridges attorneys will likely approach the DA and make every effort to reach a plea deal. Bridges team would prefer the least punitive plea possible if allowed by the judge and approved by the DA: no contest. This plea has the same basic effect as a guilty plea. The defendant doesn't admit guilt but also doesn't contest the prosecution's case. Defendants facing a related civil action might plead no contest—because it allows them to avoid admitting guilt or fault. I’m sure they’d try for this since his wife is almost certain to come back at him with a follow up lawsuit /divorce action.

If the DA is seeking jail time or a strong statement via a trial, Bridges may be forced to plead guilty and hope the court keeps the sentence light.

However, most celebs and sports figures initially plead not guilty, in order to give time for these negotiations to play out.
I continue to wait...and hope...for the return to Hornet's glory.
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 17,833

Post#6 » by Diop » Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:58 pm

They can “settle” with the victim to make her a reluctant witness and weaken the case, cause negotiations that way.
Rich4114
RealGM
And1: 4,174

Post#7 » by Rich4114 » Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:19 pm

At this point, I’m just expecting it to be postponed again. That’s how our legal system works. It’s slow, archaic and convoluted. Would be great to have this resolved one way or another so our franchise can actually move forward.
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets

Post#8 » by fatlever » Fri Aug 19, 2022 1:48 pm

Today is the next big day. I assume it will be late afternoon before we hear anything about next steps.

Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,053

Post#9 » by Liver_Pooty » Fri Aug 19, 2022 1:51 pm

Obviously two totally different ordeals, but Alvin Kamara faces felony battery for allegedly beating the hell out of a man outside a nightclub. They're saying his trial may not be done before the end of this upcoming season unless a plea deal is reached and is expected he will be suspended 6 games.

Obviously beating up a man and your wife is completely different though.
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
sp6r=underrated
RealGM
And1: 8,555

Post#10 » by sp6r=underrated » Fri Aug 19, 2022 1:53 pm

Liver_Pooty wrote:Obviously two totally different ordeals, but Alvin Kamara faces felony battery for allegedly beating the hell out of a man outside a nightclub. They're saying his trial may not be done before the end of this upcoming season unless a plea deal is reached and is expected he will be suspended 6 games.

For the average person, 100% agreement. For a professional athlete, I don't think it makes sense to distinguish the two.
Liver_Pooty
RealGM

Post#11 » by Liver_Pooty » Fri Aug 19, 2022 1:54 pm

sp6r=underrated wrote:
Liver_Pooty wrote:Obviously two totally different ordeals, but Alvin Kamara faces felony battery for allegedly beating the hell out of a man outside a nightclub. They're saying his trial may not be done before the end of this upcoming season unless a plea deal is reached and is expected he will be suspended 6 games.

For the average person, 100% agreement. For a professional athlete, I don't think it makes sense to distinguish the two.

True, but it's mainly from a PR standpoint.
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
Rich4114
RealGM

Post#12 » by Rich4114 » Fri Aug 19, 2022 6:32 pm

sp6r=underrated wrote:

I also don’t believe any law would distinguish between the two. They’re both battery of a person.
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets

Post#13 » by fatlever » Fri Aug 19, 2022 8:35 pm

except miles has 2 additional felony charges for endangering both his kids. so, they are different.
SWedd523
RealGM
And1: 5,172

Post#14 » by SWedd523 » Fri Aug 19, 2022 8:47 pm

domestic battery vs non
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets

Post#15 » by fatlever » Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:13 pm

still no news on his next court date. its only 2pm in LA, so news will trickle out soon.
Liver_Pooty
RealGM

Post#16 » by Liver_Pooty » Fri Aug 19, 2022 11:46 pm

Preliminary hearing is Sept 7
winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,464

Post#17 » by winforlose » Fri Aug 19, 2022 11:54 pm

Every state has different versions of domestic abuse laws and different degrees. Other factors include whether he has any prior history of violence or criminal record. From what I read his wife is alleging a pattern of violence before the incident. If she a journal or told peers about the abuse, maybe went to a shelter at any point this could corroborate her claims. If she has medical documentation (clinic, urgent care, hospital visits, being patched up by friends, ect…,) this could alter/reduce the chances of an effective plea and could potentially increase the charges. Criminal is not my area, but the fact that it happened in front of his kids and that the kids are on record saying it happened is not good for him either. The NFL came under tremendous sponsor pressure in similar situations and the NBA and NBAPA might be surprised by the backlash if this is not handled properly.
CuseMayne
Sixth Man
And1: 1,372

Post#18 » by CuseMayne » Sat Aug 20, 2022 5:57 am

Liver_Pooty wrote:Preliminary hearing is Sept 7

In a few weeks time. Will the preliminary hearing shed any light onto his availability for this season?
winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,464

Post#19 » by winforlose » Sat Aug 20, 2022 6:05 am

CuseMayne wrote:
Liver_Pooty wrote:Preliminary hearing is Sept 7

In a few weeks time. Will the preliminary hearing shed any light onto his availability for this season?

Two disclaimers. 1, I have never practiced criminal law. 2, I don’t know about differences in the criminal laws of NC. That said it very, very, very unlikely. Between the physical evidence (physical damage to the woman,) and testimonial evidence (children gave statements confirming it plus the wife’s testimony,) the court should find probable cause. It is more about giving the defense a chance to see the case against them. I doubt any team is gonna touch him until the case is resolved.
Rich4114
RealGM

Post#20 » by Rich4114 » Sat Aug 20, 2022 3:39 pm

There’s a wide array of possible outcomes right now it seems. Wonder what his lawyers are telling him. Will be interesting to see if something is worked out ahead of any trial too. What a **** show.

Return to Charlotte Hornets