Prodigal Son: The Miles Bridges Thread

Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

MasterIchiro
RealGM
And1: 5,340

Re: Prodigal Son: The Miles Bridges Thread 

Post#801 » by MasterIchiro » Thu Feb 15, 2024 5:57 pm

yosemiteben wrote:
MasterIchiro wrote:The new owners, the hero consultants, the acting GM all consider Miles a part of the core, playing the 4 (Miller the 3) and leaned towards this choice (Miles long term 4 over PJ) even before signing PJ.

I find that theory extremely unlikely. They resigned PJ while Miles was still actively suspended from the team. It seems like a major stretch to assume that they had made definitive plans to keep Miles before they saw evidence of how he would respond to his legal situations / make sure his off-court behavior was fully resolved and addressed.

Assuming your theory has any merit at all, I think signing PJ was at a minimum Miles insurance in the event that he had another off-court situation and allowed them the ability to defer the Miles vs. PJ debate until they got to know him better and saw evidence of how his off court stuff would be different going forward.

They were leaning Miles. PJ was restricted so they controlled him and signed him to a tradeable contract. If Miles fell through, PJ is the backup plan. Miles did not fall through. The team rumored to pursue him as a restricted free agent ultimately traded for him, and sent a player the front office was rumored to pursue in his restricted free agency plus the son of a Hornets icon who calls the games.

Hornets could've pivoted to either player at any time. It only makes sense to lean towards the better player.
It has been written...
Walt Cronkite
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 558

Post#802 » by Walt Cronkite » Thu Feb 15, 2024 6:18 pm

Found out earlier this year that you can put posters on your ignore list and their posts will become hidden. The board has become a much less frustrating place to visit. Unrelated to Miles Bridges, but maybe relevant to the thread for some (and my sympathies to the active mods).
Braggins
RealGM
And1: 8,148

Post#803 » by Braggins » Thu Feb 15, 2024 6:20 pm

MasterIchiro wrote:Many fans (only God knows why) fought for Terry to stay, and considered him part of the longterm core despite his seniority and dwindling contract length.

Mitch traded for Terry and was the one who signed him to an extension and kept him on the team for 4.5 seasons... He didn't trade him until a few weeks before he was effectively fired from his position.

MasterIchiro wrote:Trading Terry wasn't just about adding a distant 1st (which some fans dubbed a loss even though it could be unprotected in 2028 lol), it freed money the next GM needs to build a bench better than budget contracts (Bryce, Thor, Leaky Black, Ish, Frank) and failed projects (Kai, Bouknight) and castoffs (Plumlee, Oubre).

Mitch was the one who used draft picks on Bouknight, Kai, Thor, Bryce, and signed Plumlee, Oubre, and Ish...
SWedd523
RealGM
And1: 5,172

Post#804 » by SWedd523 » Thu Feb 15, 2024 7:19 pm

MasterIchiro wrote:
JMAC3 wrote:
MasterIchiro wrote:On the topic of historical revisionism, Mitch's many successful picks (Miles, LaMelo, Miller, Mark, NSJ) and trade acquisitions (Mann, Grant Williams, 2027 Mavs 1st, 2027/28 Heat 1st) will be translating into wins.

You should all thank me for assigning proper credit from day one of his transition to advisory.

And I will have the luxury of revisiting the talent he brought in, through the coming years.

Yeah I don't think Mitch could have done it without you lolololol

Not the take-home message here. I've been accused of revisionism. I will be here to defend against that accusation in the coming years.

Well thank God.

I was beginning to worry.
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,656

Post#805 » by yosemiteben » Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:38 pm

SWedd523 wrote:
MasterIchiro wrote:
JMAC3 wrote:

Not the take-home message here. I've been accused of revisionism. I will be here to defend against that accusation in the coming years.

Well thank God.

To get on my soapbox here, no one should give a **** if people had different takes in the past or even if they are inconsistent in their takes. The sort of score boarding of takes where we argue about what positions were taken in the past and how that disqualifies people or impacts takes they are allowed to have now or in the future drives me crazy and I really hate when conversations get derailed with that sort of nonsense.
MasterIchiro
RealGM

Post#806 » by MasterIchiro » Thu Feb 15, 2024 9:22 pm

SWedd523 wrote:
MasterIchiro wrote:
JMAC3 wrote:

Well thank God.

Yeah, you literally hallucinate when you watch basketball and make grandiose statements like this.
It has been written...
MasterIchiro
RealGM

Post#807 » by MasterIchiro » Thu Feb 15, 2024 9:27 pm

Braggins wrote:
MasterIchiro wrote:Many fans (only God knows why) fought for Terry to stay, and considered him part of the longterm core despite his seniority and dwindling contract length.

Mitch traded for Terry and was the one who signed him to an extension and kept him on the team for 4.5 seasons... He didn't trade him until a few weeks before he was effectively fired from his position.

MasterIchiro wrote:Trading Terry wasn't just about adding a distant 1st (which some fans dubbed a loss even though it could be unprotected in 2028 lol), it freed money the next GM needs to build a bench better than budget contracts (Bryce, Thor, Leaky Black, Ish, Frank) and failed projects (Kai, Bouknight) and castoffs (Plumlee, Oubre).

Mitch was the one who used draft picks on Bouknight, Kai, Thor, Bryce, and signed Plumlee, Oubre, and Ish...

Kupchak was not terminated.

Kupchak did not resign, voluntarily nor forced.

Kupchak remains employed with the team.

To say he was not financially limited by ownership on spending for a bench.

MJ ultimately sold the team as one with one of the lowest payrolls, almost like the bottomed out payroll expenses were planned as part of settlement.

That's on the GM?

This is just complacent scapegoating everyone needs to feel better about feeling angry leading up to the deadline.

Kupchak schooled Presti, Riley and Cuban. All GM's got strong-armed...by some outsiders who confiscated Kupchak's phone and just drove a bus over the best GM in the NBA (Presti)?

It's over man.

A+
It has been written...
SWedd523
RealGM

Post#808 » by SWedd523 » Thu Feb 15, 2024 9:53 pm

yosemiteben wrote:
SWedd523 wrote:
MasterIchiro wrote:

Well thank God.

To get on my soapbox here, no one should give a **** if people had different takes in the past or even if they are inconsistent in their takes. The sort of score boarding of takes where we argue about what positions were taken in the past and how that disqualifies people or impacts takes they are allowed to have now or in the future drives me crazy and I really hate when conversations get derailed with that sort of nonsense.

You are absolutely correct. Doing so would be pointless for good discussion and brings about a petty whataboutism that nobody needs.

We all post opinions. Not possible to be right all the time. Just imagine saying something like this:

MasterIchiro wrote:Most here want to burn down the whole thing. 20-2 in favor of a tank. Then trashing key prospects that need time, like Bouknight and Kai.

**** bull. I will die on the Bouknight hill if I have to. So if any of you want to know my trigger. Fire away compadres.

viewtopic.php?f=53&t=2231239&p=101515477&hilit=disappear#p101515477

I'm personally not going to point fingers and laugh, but a lesser man might hallucinate and make grandiose statements.
MasterIchiro
RealGM

Post#809 » by MasterIchiro » Thu Feb 15, 2024 9:56 pm

SWedd523 wrote:
yosemiteben wrote:
SWedd523 wrote:Well thank God.

You are absolutely correct. Doing so would be pointless for good discussion and brings about a petty whataboutism that nobody needs.

We all post opinions. Not possible to be right all the time. Just imagine saying something like this:

MasterIchiro wrote:Most here want to burn down the whole thing. 20-2 in favor of a tank. Then trashing key prospects that need time, like Bouknight and Kai.

**** bull. I will die on the Bouknight hill if I have to. So if any of you want to know my trigger. Fire away compadres.

viewtopic.php?f=53&t=2231239&p=101515477&hilit=disappear#p101515477

I'm personally not going to point fingers and laugh, but a lesser man might hallucinate and make grandiose statements.

You are hallucinating when you watch shooters shoot.
It has been written...
SWedd523
RealGM

Post#810 » by SWedd523 » Thu Feb 15, 2024 9:58 pm

MasterIchiro
RealGM

Post#811 » by MasterIchiro » Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:01 pm

SWedd523 wrote:Image

YMCAPJ says hello Malik, 6th Man of the Year.
It has been written...
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 17,833

Post#812 » by Diop » Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:31 pm

Monk was not getting 6th man here. He was heading Bouknight way, leaving Charlotte saved his career.
SWedd523
RealGM

Post#813 » by SWedd523 » Thu Feb 15, 2024 11:06 pm

Diop wrote:Monk was not getting 6th man here. He was heading Bouknight way, leaving Charlotte saved his career.

15/5 bench player isn't exactly spilt milk worth crying over.

We had Oubre coming off the bench dwarfing his production and he left for a bag of expired Fritos.

Anybody know what the property values are looking like on Bouknight Hill?
Braggins
RealGM
And1: 8,148

Post#814 » by Braggins » Thu Feb 15, 2024 11:56 pm

MasterIchiro wrote:YMCAPJ says hello Malik, 6th Man of the Year.

Who was the GM who didn't even offer Monk a minimum contract after he shot 40% from 3pt in his last season on the team and was one of the only players to show up for the play-in game? The one that then proceeded to draft James Bouknight in the lottery and offered Kelly Oubre a multiyear deal worth 12 million per season. I'm having trouble remembering his name. He used to be the GM for the Hornets, but isn't anymore for some mysterious reason.
luciano-davidwesley
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,247

Post#815 » by luciano-davidwesley » Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:10 am

MasterIchiro wrote:
JMAC3 wrote:
MasterIchiro wrote:All I saw was poutrage from many fans accusing Miles of blocking trades and of forcing himself on the Hornets.

It's not **** true lol. No matter how much you guys try to belittle me.

These are your delusions obliterated by quotes directly from Miles. And Miles did go to Boone of the Observer to say he wants to stay and that the organization has stayed with him through all his troubles.

And Kupchak did pursue Grant and Seth according to rumors. PJ even changed his Twitter location to Dallas last offseason.

It could be coincidence but that doesn't mean it's rational for fans to accuse Miles of blocking trades this deadline.

He didn't have to!

Where is the rumor of the trade he blocked????

Hahaha

Nobody is belittling you, but you turn opinions into facts.
Miles legit asked the Hornets to release his bird rights last year in FA so he could go sign somewhere else without Hornets matching.
Miles will still 100% explore FA this summer, I expect Hornets to be active in bringing him back but it's far from a sure thing.
PJ is from Dallas, everything on twitter is very overblown.

I agree things look up for Hornets, but you also want to play it off like Mitch knew this would all play out just like this months ago and has just been waiting to pull all these magic levers. Like he knew we would win the #2 pick and get Miller when we very easily could have picked 6th/7th. A lot of it has been luck or lack of luck with injuries that we were even this bad to begin with.

Mitch clearly didn't sign Ish, Frank, Leaky etc to stealth tank in one of the worst regarded drafts of the decade, but you are rewriting history that he is somehow an evil mastermind playing puppets.

Where is the rumor of the trade Miles blocked?

He didn't block any one trade, he unequivocally blocked ANY trade proposal.

https://abcnews.go.com/Sports/miles-bridges-exercises-trade-veto-power-stays-hornets/story?id=107062723#:~:text=Forward%20Miles%20Bridges%2C%20one%20of,%2Dyear%2C%20%248%20million%20deal.
MasterIchiro
RealGM

Post#816 » by MasterIchiro » Tue Feb 27, 2024 2:17 am

No secret Brandon Miller looks like a sniper.

But Miles Bridges is currently shooting the three with the same accuracy. So while he may never turn into one of the game's top range shooters like Miller eventually, Miles has enjoyed a good shooting season to go with his 21 points 7 rebounds.

LaMelo and Micic will have 2 serious scoring threat options between Miles and Miller. Huge waste of money to spend double for scoring from Rozier and Hayward.

I think eventually a very successful offense can run primarily through LaMelo, Miles and Miller.

And just imagine what Mark, Grant, Miller, Martin, Nick can accomplish on defense.
It has been written...
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 43,133

Post#817 » by JDR720 » Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:28 pm

Read on Twitter
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 17,833

Post#818 » by Diop » Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:21 am

Miles can really score and finish, not sure how much his horrible defensive awareness will hurt the team, but I can't Charlotte finding a better player/ solution.

he's a bit like a poor mans Nique WIlkins, scoring highlight reel with crappy defense.
GoBobs
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,507

Post#819 » by GoBobs » Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:10 am

Bridges averages 21 pts on 18 shots. He shoots 35 % from 3

Last year Oubre averaged 20 pts on 17 shots. He shot 32% from 3

Bridges, is not a good defender, he doesn't box out and has a history of off court problems. I strongly suspect he is juicing and that has something to do with the anger problems. Not the guy you want on a big contract.
JustBuzzin
Head Coach
And1: 5,500

Post#820 » by JustBuzzin » Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:16 am

Lmao

Return to Charlotte Hornets