ImageImage

LaMelephant: The LaMelo Ball Thread (#2)

Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

JustBuzzin
Head Coach
And1: 5,504

Re: LaMelephant: The LaMelo Ball Thread (#2) 

Post#401 » by JustBuzzin » Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:52 pm

HornetJail wrote:
JustBuzzin wrote:
HornetJail wrote:sure but I don't think teams are lining up right now to pay him $180M over the next 5 years at the moment. Much rather let him play out his next few seasons here than trade him for some trash.
Teams like Detroit/Washington would take that gamble easily.

I'm just very serious about a decision. I'm looking at his family injury history and this might be they just can't stay healthy. Knees and ankles are no joke especially for guys who have to run, jump, cut.

Last thing we need is Melo contract sitting on us for the next 5 years and we are stuck because we can't build around Miller.

Hornets fans need to look at the bigger picture. Is it worth gambling on another Ball brother who injuries might be a genetics problem.

If we make a decision it needs to be this off-season imo. Love Melo the talent, but his injuries are a legit concern for me.

so what do you think they offer?

Probably picks and a salary filler

Washington Kuzma/3 future 1st rd picks

Detroit young player/ 3 future 1st rd picks they have the cap to absorb the Melo contract.
Bassman
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,525

Post#402 » by Bassman » Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:08 pm

First, can Melo be traded during the off-season since he signed his new contract? I would think so but someone posted on another blog that rules don’t permit a trade due to the new extended contract for some period.

Secondly, the only way we could trade him now is if a team is absolutely in love with him enough to take the risk, and we’d accept the lower than typical market compensation. The MARKET sets the value. Right now the Hornets are way underwater on his value verses contract…just like an oversized home loan after a housing bubble pops.

I would at least put some feelers out relative to Melo ahead of the draft and see if any teams want to take on the risk via a decent return for us. I could see a scenario where we’d take back a pretty good (not great) SG or PG veteran to help immediately with his play and leadership, plus a likely lottery next year. Is that good return for present value and risk? The Hornets know the deep details that we’ll never know. Is his ankle continuing to have setbacks? Does Melo train like a pro now or is his focus strictly on ballin’ and having fun?

Right now nobody knows if Melo will get fully healed and stay healthy. That presents at least the potential for some team to take on risk for a trade. If he comes back next season as a Hornet and the ankle blows again, we are STUCK.
I continue to wait...and hope...for the return to Hornet's glory.
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,625

Post#403 » by fatlever » Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:24 pm

“He’s been very diligent about all of his rehab and work and his ankle just hasn’t responded.”

Cliff today on Melo

That doesn't sound good to me

Sent from my SM-G973U using RealGM mobile app
JustBuzzin
Head Coach

Post#404 » by JustBuzzin » Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:54 pm

Bassman wrote:First, can Melo be traded during the off-season since he signed his new contract? I would think so but someone posted on another blog that rules don’t permit a trade due to the new extended contract for some period.

Secondly, the only way we could trade him now is if a team is absolutely in love with him enough to take the risk, and we’d accept the lower than typical market compensation. The MARKET sets the value. Right now the Hornets are way underwater on his value verses contract…just like an oversized home loan after a housing bubble pops.

I would at least put some feelers out relative to Melo ahead of the draft and see if any teams want to take on the risk via a decent return for us. I could see a scenario where we’d take back a pretty good (not great) SG or PG veteran to help immediately with his play and leadership, plus a likely lottery next year. Is that good return for present value and risk? The Hornets know the deep details that we’ll never know. Is his ankle continuing to have setbacks? Does Melo train like a pro now or is his focus strictly on ballin’ and having fun?

Right now nobody knows if Melo will get fully healed and stay healthy. That presents at least the potential for some team to take on risk for a trade. If he comes back next season as a Hornet and the ankle blows again, we are STUCK.

When Melo plays his one of the best pgs in the game. His value right now is not too high not to low. It's the injuries that might scare teams away.

Just throwing this out the Pelicans. They been looking for a pg for a while. Say they come to us offering Ingram and a future 1st. Do you consider that if you're the Hornets?

Or maybe they offer Murphy/Herb/future 1st. That's something we should strongly consider.
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,656

Post#405 » by yosemiteben » Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:24 pm

No team is going to see us cutting bait on Melo with his injury history and give us a good package. This talk of 3 1sts or two high end rotation players and 1st is completely unrealistic.
SWedd523
RealGM
And1: 5,172

Post#406 » by SWedd523 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:28 pm

fatlever wrote:“He’s been very diligent about all of his rehab and work and his ankle just hasn’t responded.”

Cliff today on Melo

I'm well past the point of expecting a positive outcome on Melo from here on out.

I think we're staring down the barrel of a blowup, with definitely him and probably Mark busting out due to injury.

I don't think he plays more than 41 games in a season for the rest of his time in Charlotte
JustBuzzin
Head Coach

Post#407 » by JustBuzzin » Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:41 pm

SWedd523 wrote:
fatlever wrote:“He’s been very diligent about all of his rehab and work and his ankle just hasn’t responded.”

Cliff today on Melo

I'm well past the point of expecting a positive outcome on Melo from here on out.

I think we're staring down the barrel of a blowup, with definitely him and probably Mark busting out due to injury.

I don't think he plays more than 41 games in a season for the rest of his time in Charlotte
Which is scary to think about.

Folks saying we can't trade him are in denial. He's still young enough to move off his contract before the league finds out he is made of glass.

Pelicans seem like the perfect team to take the bait. This is a major decision we have to make because of his contract. Those who think LaMelo is safe better think again. New ownership will have a lot to discuss this off-season. So far they have seen Melo on the bench more than the court.

Just keep that in mind...
SWedd523
RealGM
And1: 5,172

Post#408 » by SWedd523 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:45 pm

Adding to my above statement. I don't think there's any good trade for him.

His contract is going to be too big and he's going to be too damaged goods that we're either getting a **** return or keeping him until the cap catches up to his contract.
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#409 » by yosemiteben » Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:10 pm

JustBuzzin wrote:Folks saying we can't trade him are in denial. He's still young enough to move off his contract before the league finds out he is made of glass.

If you think every FO is not aware that Melo only played like 20 games this year after having ankle issues every other year, you're the naive one.

Combine his injury history with the fact that we'd be trying to move him the summer that his extension kicks in, and every team is going to perceive that we've got a distressed asset that we don't believe in. No team is going to bet on him when we won't.
JustBuzzin
Head Coach

Post#410 » by JustBuzzin » Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:14 pm

yosemiteben wrote:
JustBuzzin wrote:Folks saying we can't trade him are in denial. He's still young enough to move off his contract before the league finds out he is made of glass.

If you think every FO is not aware that Melo only played like 20 games this year after having ankle issues every other year, you're the naive one.

Combine his injury history with the fact that we'd be trying to move him the summer that his extension kicks in, and every team is going to perceive that we've got a distressed asset that we don't believe in. No team is going to bet on him when we won't.

Pelicans/Pistons/Wizards are just some of the teams who would be willing to take the risk.

Melo is not only a good player when healthy he also is marketable. Those teams need a face of the franchise.

Also you telling me we couldn't get Ingram for LaMelo straight up this off-season?

We aren't the only team with a injury prone star.
wilson115
Sixth Man
And1: 968

Post#411 » by wilson115 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:19 pm

Kept reading how Jonathan Isaac was all washed up and done when he was out. Let's not panic here.
JustBuzzin
Head Coach

Post#412 » by JustBuzzin » Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:22 pm

ESPN 30 for 30 "How I robbed Charlotte no ski mask"

Melo in designer clothes laughing on the bench every night. When this becomes a trend is when I have a problem. I just don't want to get played again. We haven't learned anything after Batum and Hayward it seems.
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#413 » by yosemiteben » Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:23 pm

JustBuzzin wrote:
yosemiteben wrote:

Pelicans/Pistons/Wizards are just some of the teams who would be willing to take the risk.

Melo is not only a good player when healthy he also is marketable. Those teams need a face of the franchise.

Also you telling me we couldn't get Ingram for LaMelo straight up this off-season?

You want to trade Melo so we can get on an older injury prone player instead? That's a no from me, I had enough fun with that having Hayward around.

Melo is our franchise player that we would be cutting bait on just as he enters a max extension. Why would some other team bet on him when we won't, particularly given the information asymmetry regarding his injury and rehab process? Can you name a single example of a team bailing on their franchise player due to injury history and getting solid value in a trade?

You started a thread in the T&T board on this so I guess we'll see what that yields. Offers like 1st + Vassel are what I would expect, no one is giving up a marquee asset for Melo without believing that his injury won't hold him back.
JustBuzzin
Head Coach

Post#414 » by JustBuzzin » Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:25 pm

yosemiteben wrote:
JustBuzzin wrote:
yosemiteben wrote:If you think every FO is not aware that Melo only played like 20 games this year after having ankle issues every other year, you're the naive one.

You want to trade Melo so we can get on an older injury prone player instead? That's a no from me, I had enough fun with that having Hayward around.

Melo is our franchise player that we would be cutting bait on just as he enters a max extension. Why would some other team bet on him when we won't, particularly given the information asymmetry regarding his injury and rehab process? Can you name a single example of a team bailing on their franchise player due to injury history and getting solid value in a trade?

You started a thread in the T&T board on this so I guess we'll see what that yields. Offers like 1st + Vassel are what I would expect, no one is giving up a marquee asset for Melo without believing that his injury won't hold him back.

Ingram is more of a safe bet than Melo.

He's also currently playing for what it's worth.

And no that wouldn't be my preferred option. I was just using them as an example. You made it seem like we can't get any value whatsoever.
amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
And1: 9,241

Post#415 » by amcoolio » Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:27 pm

The only player I would trade LaMelo for is Cade

I think Cade would fit very well with us and we can take Topic in the draft and be set at 1-2-3
I don't support domestic violence. Thanks Miles
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#416 » by yosemiteben » Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:27 pm

JustBuzzin wrote:
yosemiteben wrote:
JustBuzzin wrote:Pelicans/Pistons/Wizards are just some of the teams who would be willing to take the risk.

He's also Curry playing for what it's worth.

And no that wouldn't be my preferred option. I was just using them as an example. You made it seem like we can't get any value whatsoever.

We are going to take a massive discount if we trade him now. We would be telling teams we don't believe he can perform and won't tolerate his injury risk even though we're rebuilding, but you should give us assets even though you're in less of a position to make bets.

The only reason a team would trade for him at this point is if the discount is significant enough to justify the risk that we ourselves are not willing to take.
JustBuzzin
Head Coach

Post#417 » by JustBuzzin » Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:32 pm

yosemiteben wrote:
JustBuzzin wrote:
yosemiteben wrote:You want to trade Melo so we can get on an older injury prone player instead? That's a no from me, I had enough fun with that having Hayward around.

He's also Curry playing for what it's worth.

We are going to take a massive discount if we trade him now. We would be telling teams we don't believe he can perform and won't tolerate his injury risk even though we're rebuilding, but you should give us assets even though you're in less of a position to make bets.

The only reason a team would trade for him at this point is if the discount is significant enough to justify the risk that we ourselves are not willing to take.

We are taking a risk both ways.

Which is why I said ownership has a major decision to make this off-season. Either trade him now while he still has somewhat some value left or take the risk he stays healthy and becomes our franchise player for the remainder of his contract.

I'm looking at him and since we drafted him he hasn't shown he can stay healthy so far. It's a realistic situation we must consider. We keep him we are stuck with that contract for better or worst.

I'm just tired of the Hayward/Batum situations. Melo is a supermax player now.
JustBuzzin
Head Coach

Post#418 » by JustBuzzin » Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:34 pm

amcoolio wrote:The only player I would trade LaMelo for is Cade

I think Cade would fit very well with us and we can take Topic in the draft and be set at 1-2-3

That's also another realistic trade. Pistons were about to trade for Zach Lavine had he not got injured.

People act like Melo is flat out untradable. Sure we aren't getting max value, but there are players out there who we can trade him for.
KembaWalker
General Manager
And1: 10,747

Post#419 » by KembaWalker » Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:41 pm

Trading LaMelo would be idiotic. Playing him in meaningless games would be idiotic. He’s been practicing, they just don’t want to risk him for literally nothing.
vorbis
Veteran
And1: 675

Post#420 » by vorbis » Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:42 pm

LaMelo isn't getting traded. fun to fantasize though, I guess?

Return to Charlotte Hornets