ImageImage

LaMelephant: The LaMelo Ball Thread (#2)

Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

JustBuzzin
Head Coach
And1: 5,500

Re: LaMelephant: The LaMelo Ball Thread (#2) 

Post#421 » by JustBuzzin » Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:49 pm

KembaWalker wrote:Trading LaMelo would be idiotic. Playing him in meaningless games would be idiotic. He’s been practicing, they just don’t want to risk him for literally nothing.

Watching him injured on the bench laughing is also idiotic.

We still treating this dude like a rookie. He's a supermax player. Where is the accountability?

It's like a spoiled kid. You spoil that kid all your life he's never going to grow up and accept responsibility.
KembaWalker
General Manager
And1: 10,744

Post#422 » by KembaWalker » Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:59 pm

JustBuzzin wrote:
KembaWalker wrote:Trading LaMelo would be idiotic. Playing him in meaningless games would be idiotic. He’s been practicing, they just don’t want to risk him for literally nothing.

We still treating this dude like a rookie. He's a supermax player. Where is the accountability?

It's like a spoiled kid. You spoil that kid all your life he's never going to grow up and accept responsibility.

He’s a supermax player, that’s why we don’t need to throw him out there with a bunch of throwaway players in a throwaway coaches system just to…not sure what you’re saying but I guess…discipline him?

I don’t think I can stomach another Christian McCaffrey situation in Charlotte watching us throw away another star player for garbage just to watch competent organizations show how bad we are at managing our players
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,654

Post#423 » by yosemiteben » Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:00 pm

JustBuzzin wrote:

Oh so we're back on the "no smiling while on the bench if you're injured" thing.

Didn't realize that was the sort of logic you were using here.
JustBuzzin
Head Coach

Post#424 » by JustBuzzin » Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:16 pm

KembaWalker wrote:
JustBuzzin wrote:

He’s a supermax player, that’s why we don’t need to throw him out there with a bunch of throwaway players in a throwaway coaches system just to…not sure what you’re saying but I guess…discipline him?

I don’t think I can stomach another Christian McCaffrey situation in Charlotte watching us throw away another star player for garbage just to watch competent organizations show how bad we are are managing our players
CMC was never going to be healthy in Carolina. I almost think he was riding some of his injuries just because the team wasn't any good. Kind of crazy he's been healthy ever since he was traded home.
JustBuzzin
Head Coach

Post#425 » by JustBuzzin » Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:19 pm

yosemiteben wrote:
JustBuzzin wrote:

Oh so we're back on the "no smiling while on the bench if you're injured" thing.

Didn't realize that was the sort of logic you were using here.

Injuries is my main issue. Never once questioned his talent.

Is injuries not a real excuse for wanting to move on?
MugzZo
Sixth Man
And1: 906

Post#426 » by MugzZo » Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:02 am

amcoolio wrote:The only player I would trade LaMelo for is Cade

I think Cade would fit very well with us and we can take Topic in the draft and be set at 1-2-3
I like that idea.

Topic
Cade
Miller

I can get behind that.

Sent from my SM-F936U using RealGM mobile app
KembaWalker
General Manager
And1: 10,744

Post#427 » by KembaWalker » Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:09 am

JustBuzzin wrote:
KembaWalker wrote:
JustBuzzin wrote:Watching him injured on the bench laughing is also idiotic.

I don’t think I can stomach another Christian McCaffrey situation in Charlotte watching us throw away another star player for garbage just to watch competent organizations show how bad we are are managing our players
CMC was never going to be healthy in Carolina. I almost think he was riding some of his injuries just because the team wasn't any good. Kind of crazy he's been healthy ever since he was traded home.

Trading prime McCaffrey for peanuts was basically an admission that we are not a serious franchise that is capable of handling superstar players and putting them in situations to be successful and that we are doing a disservice to the league to keep one on our roster at this time. I’m tired of being that team. Give the new owners a chance to manage the kid with their staff before giving him away to some California team and making me watch him **** on us for the next decade
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,624

Post#428 » by fatlever » Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:18 am

Sitting him to be cautious is fine
But cliff didn't have to add the part "his ankle just hasn't responded" to the treatments. That's the concern, unless cliff misspoke or oversimplified things in a manner that sounded worse.

Sent from my SM-G973U using RealGM mobile app
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 43,132

Post#429 » by JDR720 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:39 am

He isn't going to be traded... yet.

But if he keeps missing half the season, or in this case 3/4ths of it, then we need to trade him for whatever we can get.

We can't build a good team with his contract weighing us down. This isn't CMAC.

When Carolina traded CMAC, he was potentially the best RB in the league (when healthy) and an All-Pro level player.

Melo probably isn't even a top 10 PG and isn't close to All-NBA either.
Bassman
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,525

Post#430 » by Bassman » Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:41 am

fatlever wrote:Sitting him to be cautious is fine
But cliff didn't have to add the part "his ankle just hasn't responded" to the treatments. That's the concern, unless cliff misspoke or oversimplified things in a manner that sounded worse.

I think Clifford said that because it’s true. This type of injury (as described by an orthopedist/I previously posted some time ago) has the potential to be debilitating long term. Repetitive injuries to the area weaken the ability to recover. Clifford’s statement tells me the ankle, despite best efforts, can’t rebuild the level of support needed for this sport. Doesn’t mean it never will, but I am having serious doubts. It’s NOT an injury that is repaired via surgery to my understanding.
I continue to wait...and hope...for the return to Hornet's glory.
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 17,833

Post#431 » by Diop » Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:43 am

fatlever wrote:Sitting him to be cautious is fine

That’s what triggered this tweet. Hard not to speculate
Rich4114
RealGM
And1: 4,174

Post#432 » by Rich4114 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:24 pm

Ah yes, we're back to trade LaMelo because he's been injured and smiling on the bench.

Do you guys remember Grant Hill? His career was shortened due to an ankle injury that was mishandled by the Pistons. Had they let him rest it the proper amount of time, he may have had a hall of fame career. If some of you had your way, we'd be doing that to LaMelo potentially except it wouldn't be to compete in a playoff series like Grant Hill it would be to compete in like 10 more meaningless games in a lost season. I don't know if it's LaMelo, the team or both but they're actually being smart here thinking about the long term over satisfying the twitter GM's
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 43,132

Post#433 » by JDR720 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:43 pm

I think it's pretty evident that we've already mishandled his ankle injuries. He's sprained both ankles multiple times already. Wouldn't be surprised if he has another surgery in the offseason.

He's career

51 games
75 games
36 games
22 games

Only 1 season in which he wasn't injured for a lot if not the majority of it.

If he plays 52 games next season, 13 games below the threshold to qualify for postseason awards, it'll be the 2nd most games he's ever played.

For comparison, MKG, our last talented yet injury prone young player, played more than 52 games 6 seasons for us. And 5 of those seasons were above 60 games.

I'd put the over/under for Melo next season at 50.

And I don't think anybody wanted or expected Melo to play again this season. We've been waiting for him to be shutdown for weeks already. The simple fact is, at this point, Melo can't be expected to be healthy.
Rich4114
RealGM

Post#434 » by Rich4114 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:59 pm

JDR720 wrote:I think it's pretty evident that we've already mishandled his ankle injuries. He's sprained both ankles multiple times already. Wouldn't be surprised if he has another surgery in the offseason.

He's career

51 games
75 games
36 games
22 games

If he plays 52 games next season, 13 games below the threshold to qualify for postseason awards, it'll be the 2nd most games he's ever played.

For comparison, MKG, our last talented yet injury prone young player, played more than 52 games 6 seasons for us. And 5 of those seasons were above 60 games.

And I don't think anybody wanted or expected Melo to play again this season. We've been waiting for him to be shutdown for weeks already. The simple fact is, at this point, Melo can't be expected to be healthy.

My guess is the only reason he'd have surgery in the off-season is to remove the hardware in his ankle that is likely contributing to a lot of pain, discomfort, swelling, etc.
JustBuzzin
Head Coach

Post#435 » by JustBuzzin » Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:25 pm

Rich4114 wrote:
JDR720 wrote:I think it's pretty evident that we've already mishandled his ankle injuries. He's sprained both ankles multiple times already. Wouldn't be surprised if he has another surgery in the offseason.

He's career

51 games
75 games
36 games
22 games

My guess is the only reason he'd have surgery in the off-season is to remove the hardware in his ankle that is likely contributing to a lot of pain, discomfort, swelling, etc.

Surprised another surgery. Yet you have a problem with people who are fed up with his injuries.

Thank goodness we missed out on Kemba dude was never the same after that contract. Then you have Batum/Hayward.

Yeah excuse me for having caution for another injury prone player trying to stay healthy in Charlotte.

What is your plan if he just can't stay healthy?
Rich4114
RealGM

Post#436 » by Rich4114 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:41 pm

JustBuzzin wrote:
Rich4114 wrote:

He's career

51 games
75 games
36 games
22 games

Surprised another surgery. Yet you have a problem with people who are fed up with his injuries.

Thank goodness we missed out on Kemba dude was never the same after that contract. Then you have Batum/Hayward.

Yeah excuse me for having caution for another injury prone player trying to stay healthy in Charlotte.

Well right now the choices are sell him off for pennies on the dollar, since if the Hornets are interested in moving him it's an enormous red flag for any other team. Or we let him get healthy and see if this young core can stay on the floor and show growth. If he can't stay healthy then I guess we just keep picking early in the lottery until we rebuild again and get a few extra swings with the Dallas/Miami picks.
JustBuzzin
Head Coach

Post#437 » by JustBuzzin » Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:46 pm

Rich4114 wrote:
JustBuzzin wrote:
Rich4114 wrote:

Well right now the choices are sell him off for pennies on the dollar, since if the Hornets are interested in moving him it's an enormous red flag for any other team. Or we let him get healthy and see if this young core can stay on the floor and show growth. If he can't stay healthy then I guess we just keep picking early in the lottery until we rebuild again and get a few extra swings with the Dallas/Miami picks.

Putting your trust in a Ball brother to get healthy is very BOLD.

I hear you, but people must understand the risk we are taking. Sure we can sell low, but at least we got from under his contract. If we don't sell now we are gonna be pretty much stuck with him for the remainder of that contract. I'm not trying to see 20 games of LaMelo a year.

I hope he gets healthy, but history tells me the odds aren't on our favor.
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,654

Post#438 » by yosemiteben » Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:08 pm

JustBuzzin wrote:
Rich4114 wrote:
JustBuzzin wrote:Surprised another surgery. Yet you have a problem with people who are fed up with his injuries.

Putting your trust in a Ball brother to get healthy is very BOLD.

I hear you, but people must understand the risk we are taking. Sure we can sell low, but at least we got from under his contract. If we don't sell now we are gonna be pretty much stuck with him for the remainder of that contract. I'm not trying to see 20 games of LaMelo a year.

I hope he gets healthy, but history tells me the odds aren't on our favor.

This sentiment is going to be shared by every team in the league if you try to trade him.
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,053

Post#439 » by Liver_Pooty » Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:51 pm

Please stop with the trade Lamelo stuff for at least a year or two. Its damn near ignorant to be honest. Finally get a player that's an all nba talent and want to ship him. **** stupid.
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
SWedd523
RealGM
And1: 5,172

Post#440 » by SWedd523 » Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:15 am

Liver_Pooty wrote:Please stop with the trade Lamelo stuff for at least a year or two. Its damn near ignorant to be honest. Finally get a player that's an all nba talent and want to ship him. **** stupid.

Are we just supposed to pretend like he hasn't had pretty significant injury problems for 3 years now and doesn't show any sign of improvement?

*gasp*

Giant elephant tap dancing in the middle of the room on a $260 million dollar contract and we're all gonna pretend like it's not a thing

Return to Charlotte Hornets