ImageImage

LaMelephant: The LaMelo Ball Thread (#2)

Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

wilson115
Sixth Man
And1: 968

Re: LaMelephant: The LaMelo Ball Thread (#2) 

Post#381 » by wilson115 » Tue Mar 5, 2024 3:32 am

Fine with LaMelo sitting the rest of the season out. The knock on the FO last year was letting him try and come back from multiple injuries too soon. Rather be like the Spurs and do what's best for the franchise and the player in the long run. Give our best young player and the future of the franchise time to heal, so what if he comes off as lazy or it makes it look like we're tanking, optics are for losers.
lmcguir15
Ballboy
And1: 61

Post#382 » by lmcguir15 » Tue Mar 5, 2024 1:48 pm

I agree I would let him sit, there's no upside to letting him come back in a lost year. I'm also letting myself be optimistic that a new training staff can be inventive in keeping him healthy or at least getting through to him on adding a little muscle.
"It's true, you can't lose what you don't put in the middle. But you can't win very much either."
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 17,833

Post#383 » by Diop » Tue Mar 5, 2024 2:10 pm

He’s not developing anything if he’s sitting though, and he’s got stuff to develop
Rich4114
RealGM
And1: 4,174

Post#384 » by Rich4114 » Tue Mar 5, 2024 2:28 pm

I look at it like this. If he's fully healthy and the ankle is stable with no more risk of injury than anything else, he should play to develop himself and chemistry with some of the pieces we expect to be here next season. If he's not 100%, then sit him until he is even if that isn't until training camp.

What seems evident is he came back last time before it was ready and made it worse. They'll never say that, but it sure looks like what happened. Coming back too soon last season could have contributed to the ankle breaking too which has led to what we're seeing this season. Do what is best, get him absolutely 100% and then put him on the court.
JMAC3
General Manager
And1: 4,164

Post#385 » by JMAC3 » Tue Mar 5, 2024 9:26 pm

Times like these make you remember 30% of people thought drafting Scoot and trading LaMelo was answer.
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
Rich4114
RealGM

Post#386 » by Rich4114 » Tue Mar 5, 2024 9:27 pm

JMAC3 wrote:Times like these make you remember 30% of people thought drafting Scoot and trading LaMelo was answer.

I was team Scoot, but I was team LaMelo + Scoot. Trading LaMelo and giving the keys to Scoot would've set us back years.
JMAC3
General Manager
And1: 4,164

Post#387 » by JMAC3 » Tue Mar 5, 2024 10:06 pm

Rich4114 wrote:
JMAC3 wrote:Times like these make you remember 30% of people thought drafting Scoot and trading LaMelo was answer.

I was team Scoot, but I was team LaMelo + Scoot. Trading LaMelo and giving the keys to Scoot would've set us back years.

Youre telling me the board wouldn't be 10x the panic mode about trading Melo if we had Scoot on the roster today?
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
Rich4114
RealGM

Post#388 » by Rich4114 » Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:14 pm

Oh man it would be pure pandemonium
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 43,131

Post#389 » by JDR720 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:13 pm

Read on Twitter

Officially out for the season. Played 22 games.
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 43,131

Post#390 » by JDR720 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:19 pm

Over/Under 5 games until we get the same for Mark?
Braggins
RealGM
And1: 8,148

Post#391 » by Braggins » Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:28 pm

Im fine with LaMelo and Mark not playing until after they hopefully get looked at by a new medical/training staff this offseason.
KingCat
Sixth Man
And1: 831

Post#392 » by KingCat » Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:30 pm

Well thank God he had that crazy two week stretch where he looked like Luka Doncic or else we prob all be giving up on him.
Your Charlotte Hornets! We’ll eventually get something right;right?
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,654

Post#393 » by yosemiteben » Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:37 pm

Braggins wrote:Im fine with LaMelo and Mark not playing until after they hopefully get looked at by a new medical/training staff this offseason.

I'd prefer he would play if he was totally healthy and cleared, but at the end of the day I have to agree with you. Nothing is going to matter about his development if this is a recurring problem, and I appreciate that the FO is taking it seriously and appears to be acting proactively in managing it.
JustBuzzin
Head Coach
And1: 5,500

Post#394 » by JustBuzzin » Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:57 pm

If this dude gets injured again next season we are likely stuck with him due to his contract.

So if we make a decision it has to be this off-season. Do we say enough with the injuries and build this thing around Miller or do we take the risk that he gets healthy and turns it around. With new ownership anything is on the table.

Will be interesting to see what route they take with Melo.
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,540

Post#395 » by HornetJail » Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:02 pm

JustBuzzin wrote:If this dude gets injured again next season we are likely stuck with him due to his contract.

we already are, unless we want to just rip the bandaid off and trade him for like 20% of his actual value. At this point, you just roll with the risk
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
JustBuzzin
Head Coach

Post#396 » by JustBuzzin » Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:13 pm

HornetJail wrote:
JustBuzzin wrote:If this dude gets injured again next season we are likely stuck with him due to his contract.

we already are, unless we want to just rip the bandaid off and trade him for like 20% of his actual value. At this point, you just roll with the risk

Nah Melo had that run early in the season. I think he could still get value this off-season if we choose to go that route.

I think if he gets injured again next season that's when we are pretty much stuck with him.
HornetJail
RealGM

Post#397 » by HornetJail » Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:15 pm

JustBuzzin wrote:
HornetJail wrote:

Nah Melo had that run early in the season. I think he could still get value this off-season if we choose to go that route.

I think if he gets injured again next season that's when we are pretty much stuck with him.

sure but I don't think teams are lining up right now to pay him $180M over the next 5 years at the moment. Much rather let him play out his next few seasons here than trade him for some trash.
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
JustBuzzin
Head Coach

Post#398 » by JustBuzzin » Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:49 pm

HornetJail wrote:
JustBuzzin wrote:
HornetJail wrote:we already are, unless we want to just rip the bandaid off and trade him for like 20% of his actual value. At this point, you just roll with the risk

sure but I don't think teams are lining up right now to pay him $180M over the next 5 years at the moment. Much rather let him play out his next few seasons here than trade him for some trash.
Teams like Detroit/Washington would take that gamble easily.

I'm just very serious about a decision. I'm looking at his family injury history and this might be they just can't stay healthy. Knees and ankles are no joke especially for guys who have to run, jump, cut.

Last thing we need is Melo contract sitting on us for the next 5 years and we are stuck because we can't build around Miller.

Hornets fans need to look at the bigger picture. Is it worth gambling on another Ball brother who injuries might be a genetics problem.

If we make a decision it needs to be this off-season imo. Love Melo the talent, but his injuries are a legit concern for me.
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,654

Post#399 » by yosemiteben » Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:59 pm

There is no universe where we outsource the risk of Melo injury to another team who pays anything resembling what would be decent value if he were healthy.
HornetJail
RealGM

Post#400 » by HornetJail » Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:17 pm

JustBuzzin wrote:
HornetJail wrote:
JustBuzzin wrote:Nah Melo had that run early in the season. I think he could still get value this off-season if we choose to go that route.

Teams like Detroit/Washington would take that gamble easily.

I'm just very serious about a decision. I'm looking at his family injury history and this might be they just can't stay healthy. Knees and ankles are no joke especially for guys who have to run, jump, cut.

Last thing we need is Melo contract sitting on us for the next 5 years and we are stuck because we can't build around Miller.

Hornets fans need to look at the bigger picture. Is it worth gambling on another Ball brother who injuries might be a genetics problem.

If we make a decision it needs to be this off-season imo. Love Melo the talent, but his injuries are a legit concern for me.

so what do you think they offer?
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR

Return to Charlotte Hornets