ImageImage

LaMelephant: The LaMelo Ball Thread (#2)

Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,053

Re: LaMelo Ankle Analysis 

Post#341 » by Liver_Pooty » Sun Feb 25, 2024 7:19 pm

SWedd523 wrote:
fatlever wrote:i thought it was good discussion about how getting stronger in the lower body could help.

Does anyone think Melo has any real commitment to his physical development?

Absolutely not. Hell even in their reality series they use to have he was in the weight room and his dad was hounding him to basically please start taking lifting more seriously.
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,624

Re: Done Got Right: The LaMelo Ball Thread (#2) 

Post#342 » by fatlever » Mon Feb 26, 2024 8:28 pm

Fun fact, I was just taking a nap and in my dream lamelo returned to action and on the very first possession he went 0 for 7 with 6 offensive rebounds LOL

Sent from my SM-G973U using RealGM mobile app
lmcguir15
Ballboy
And1: 61

Post#343 » by lmcguir15 » Mon Feb 26, 2024 10:06 pm

Hollinger with a little bit of a driveby on LaMelo today.

(via the Athletic)

On the other hand, there’s also the LaMelephant in the room. Charlotte’s defensive renaissance has coincided with the absence of star guard LaMelo Ball, the catalyst for the Hornets’ transition offense. He’s also been perhaps the Hornets’ least interested defensive player, and getting him to buy in when he returns is one of the biggest hurdles going forward. That said, Ball has only played seven games since Thanksgiving.

Not saying what he said isn't warranted, just one of the first times in a while I've seen a public figure really point it out.
"It's true, you can't lose what you don't put in the middle. But you can't win very much either."
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets

Re: LaMelephant: The LaMelo Ball Thread (#2) 

Post#344 » by fatlever » Tue Feb 27, 2024 1:03 am

We've played plenty of games without Melo and still stunk defensively. The Renaissance is replacing Terry, ish, nsj, Bryce and pj with better defenders. And getting Cody fully healthy.

The 2nd part is fair, will Melo finally try on defense when the rest of the team is bought in? Who knows.

yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,656

Post#345 » by yosemiteben » Thu Feb 29, 2024 11:06 pm

Read on Twitter
Robot Rock
Starter
And1: 939

Post#346 » by Robot Rock » Fri Mar 1, 2024 3:57 am

fatlever wrote:Fun fact, I was just taking a nap and in my dream lamelo returned to action and on the very first possession he went 0 for 7 with 6 offensive rebounds LOL

It was a Halloween game and he went as JT Thor.
JustBuzzin
Head Coach
And1: 5,501

Post#347 » by JustBuzzin » Fri Mar 1, 2024 4:05 am

Another game another LaMelo on the bench.

The more he sits the more I'm ready to move on. Supermax player time to earn that money Melo!
Liver_Pooty
RealGM

Post#348 » by Liver_Pooty » Fri Mar 1, 2024 4:11 am

JustBuzzin wrote:Another game another LaMelo on the bench.

The more he sits the more I'm ready to move on. Supermax player time to earn that money Melo!

Thank God you aren't the GM.
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
JustBuzzin
Head Coach

Post#349 » by JustBuzzin » Fri Mar 1, 2024 4:11 am

Liver_Pooty wrote:

:lol:

Relax man I'm joking.
Liver_Pooty
RealGM

Post#350 » by Liver_Pooty » Fri Mar 1, 2024 4:14 am

JustBuzzin wrote:
Liver_Pooty wrote:

Relax man I'm joking.

Nah, you aren't. Isnt the first you've mentioned moving on from Lamelo. I'd rather you stand firm than backtrack to be honest.
JustBuzzin
Head Coach

Post#351 » by JustBuzzin » Fri Mar 1, 2024 4:40 am

Liver_Pooty wrote:
JustBuzzin wrote:
Liver_Pooty wrote:

Relax man I'm joking.

Nah, you aren't. Isnt the first you've mentioned moving on from Lamelo. I'd rather you stand firm than backtrack to be honest.

Lmao
Bassman
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,525

Post#352 » by Bassman » Fri Mar 1, 2024 12:44 pm

yosemiteben wrote:
Read on Twitter

That’s a lot of spaghetti chatter for “we’re protecting him until he can prove his ankles aren’t taffy”.

No need to get him into games at this point. Yes, it would be great to have him establishing chemistry, but fact is Mark is still on the shelf, Miles is likely back but not guaranteed, and who knows what player we might have post draft and free agency opening. I’m good with parking him till training camp, if it will get that landing gear solid.
I continue to wait...and hope...for the return to Hornet's glory.
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets

Post#353 » by fatlever » Fri Mar 1, 2024 3:21 pm

That response from Cliff made me think that lamelo is nowhere near close to returning. It would be nice to actually get some clarity from the organization through something other than reporters asking Cliff questions. Just set those expectations. Same for Mark. Mark clearly isn't coming back this season just go ahead and announce it.

Liver_Pooty
RealGM

Post#354 » by Liver_Pooty » Fri Mar 1, 2024 4:37 pm

Sounded to me like Clifford saying we want him to play he probably can play but it's out of our control.
JMAC3
General Manager
And1: 4,164

Post#355 » by JMAC3 » Fri Mar 1, 2024 7:17 pm

Cliff post game presser he mentioned that teams are going to switch against a lot more for the rest of the year because we don't have a guy that can breakdown the defense without Melo. I think he wants Melo back, but it is clear the team is being more careful with him. Which makes sense because this season is a lost cause regardless. With Mann, Micic and Martin healthy we have enough to at least function and aren't relying on the Maledon, Ish, Ntilikina types.
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
MugzZo
Sixth Man
And1: 906

Post#356 » by MugzZo » Fri Mar 1, 2024 7:48 pm

I know it's not popular opinion around here, but I'm allowed to have an opinion regardless. I love ball, but he CAN'T stay on the court. I mean, I'd like to see him on the court with Miller. We deserve to see it. I just feel like it won't happen, and when it does, he will be down after 10 games for 30 nursing his ankle. I'm totally up for trading him. Your best ability is availability. If we can get a good return for him, especially players that will be on the court and compete. I want to make that trade. I will stand on that hill/mountain. We can't move forward and wait around at the same time. This is 2 seasons back to back. Ideally healthy Melo is great. In the real world, it's not an option. If I'm proven wrong, great. I just don't see it happening. Melo was a breath of fresh air I'll admitt. But the air has been sucked out of the building, and here we are.

Sent from my SM-F936U using RealGM mobile app
JMAC3
General Manager

Post#357 » by JMAC3 » Fri Mar 1, 2024 8:11 pm

MugzZo wrote:I know it's not popular opinion around here, but I'm allowed to have an opinion regardless. I love ball, but he CAN'T stay on the court. I mean, I'd like to see him on the court with Miller. We deserve to see it. I just feel like it won't happen, and when it does, he will be down after 10 games for 30 nursing his ankle. I'm totally up for trading him. Your best ability is availability. If we can get a good return for him, especially players that will be on the court and compete. I want to make that trade. I will stand on that hill/mountain. We can't move forward and wait around at the same time. This is 2 seasons back to back. Ideally healthy Melo is great. In the real world, it's not an option. If I'm proven wrong, great. I just don't see it happening. Melo was a breath of fresh air I'll admitt. But the air has been sucked out of the building, and here we are.

Sent from my SM-F936U using RealGM mobile app

great win win post here...
LaMelo never gets healthy- "See told you we should have traded him".
LaMelo gets healthy- "Man, so glad I was wrong about Melo, glad to eat crow we never traded him"
Big Board
JMAC3
General Manager

Post#358 » by JMAC3 » Fri Mar 1, 2024 8:21 pm

Liver_Pooty wrote:
JustBuzzin wrote:
Liver_Pooty wrote:

Relax man I'm joking.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2358964&hilit=lamelo

Along with several posts every few days saying we should trade him lol.
Big Board
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets

Post#359 » by fatlever » Fri Mar 1, 2024 8:58 pm

from gt

i don't expect to see melo again this year.
either (could be more than one):
his pain is worse than we know
the ankle hasn't heeled properly
he doesn't want to play thru any level of pain/discomfort
the franchise is holding him out
someone from melo's side is advising him to stay out

we really have no idea, but none of those feel like situations for him to return

none of this feels like - he's close, just getting back to game shape, waiting on final clearance etc...
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets

Post#360 » by fatlever » Fri Mar 1, 2024 9:08 pm

i don't blame any fans for mentally looking to hedge with melo. that contract is a franchise killer if he can't get healthy over next 12 months. i think 99% of fans prefer to keep melo if healthy. but how long do you hang on if he keeps missing games in huge chunks next year? all of us have different levels of risk acceptance.

Return to Charlotte Hornets