ImageImage

Around the NBA 12

Moderators: yosemiteben, BigSlam, JDR720, Diop, fatlever

SWedd523
RealGM
And1: 5,206

Re: Around the NBA 12 

Post#81 » by SWedd523 » Fri May 5, 2023 3:39 pm

yosemiteben wrote:I guess my divide is I personally don't think it is realistic to expect to be able to sign stars into cap space (or at least it is much less likely than being able to draft or trade for them), so I see benefits to having larger but moveable contracts.

No, it's not particularly realistic. It is impossible, however, if you never give yourself the opportunity.

yosemiteben wrote:
SWedd523 wrote:-PJ on a long term contract is no longer an asset

Seems like some major bias leaking out here, obviously it depends on the number. I very much disagree that signing PJ to something like a 4 year, $80M deal would mean he couldn't be moved as part of a package for a bigger piece.

Yeah... I don't really see how this could be a point of discussion. It isn't some novel opinion that teams trade for 1. star players, 2. expiring deals, 3. rookie scale deals

PJ making 4/80 is a negative trade piece for the next three years the instant the ink is dry. It's the type of contract you attach assets like picks to if you want to move them.
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,585

Post#82 » by HornetJail » Fri May 5, 2023 4:07 pm

$20M/year is where I look for a S&T, definitely.

if we can get him for about 3/50 to 5/80, I'm happy with that contract
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,705

Post#83 » by yosemiteben » Fri May 5, 2023 4:46 pm

SWedd523 wrote:
yosemiteben wrote:I guess my divide is I personally don't think it is realistic to expect to be able to sign stars into cap space (or at least it is much less likely than being able to draft or trade for them), so I see benefits to having larger but moveable contracts.

No, it's not particularly realistic. It is impossible, however, if you never give yourself the opportunity.

yosemiteben wrote:
SWedd523 wrote:-PJ on a long term contract is no longer an asset

Seems like some major bias leaking out here, obviously it depends on the number. I very much disagree that signing PJ to something like a 4 year, $80M deal would mean he couldn't be moved as part of a package for a bigger piece.

Yeah... I don't really see how this could be a point of discussion. It isn't some novel opinion that teams trade for 1. star players, 2. expiring deals, 3. rookie scale deals

PJ making 4/80 is a negative trade piece for the next three years the instant the ink is dry. It's the type of contract you attach assets like picks to if you want to move them.

I hear ya and I think reasonable minds can differ on contract value. Might be interesting to take to the trade board to solicit non Charlotte opinion.

I just think using cap space to sign a star is by far the least likely avenue we have, but it's also IMO the only strategy where it makes sense to let PJ walk.
SWedd523
RealGM

Post#84 » by SWedd523 » Fri May 5, 2023 5:08 pm

For a team like Charlotte, it most certainly is the least likely avenue. Trade is more viable, hence my previous post about cycling through rookie contracts and short vet deals to maintain financial flexibility. Drafting is also more viable, but the team has shown an unwillingness to bottom out for higher draft slots.

It's also why I previously stated that they should've traded him sometime in the past year and a half to get some sort of value in return.

Unfortunately, poor asset management is not a new concept to the Charlotte FO.
amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
And1: 9,307

Post#85 » by amcoolio » Fri May 5, 2023 9:15 pm

yosemiteben wrote:
amcoolio wrote:Au contraire, I think Donavon Mitchell would be a Hornet if we had the pure cap space to trade for him...

You think Utah would have just traded into our cap space with pick assets and no contracts over what they got from CLE? That seems highly unrealistic.

Even ignoring that issue, it also seems very impractical to consistently let talent walk so we can stay $30-35M below the cap (what would have been required to take Mitchell into cap space) in order to facilitate that sort of a deal. That whole approach to team building doesn't make sense to me.

amcoolio wrote:Teams trading their disgruntled stars don't want bad contracts back. PJ would instantly be a bad contract the moment he signs his 4/80 with us. Similar to Duncan Robinson

Fine to disagree, I'll just point out that PJ does much, much more than Duncan Robinson.

Yes, I do. Obviously we would have thrown them Bouknight and/or Williams or Jones as young contract filler, but Lauri and Sexton, the contracts in the trade, were not wanted last offseason. The Mitchell was trade was all about the picks. Lauri out of nowhere blew up into an all-star, but that is not what Utah expected at all. Remember about two years ago I was pleading with people on here to sign Lauri with our FA money, but the board seemed really off Lauri and we signed Oubre anyway.
I don't support domestic violence. Thanks Miles
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#86 » by yosemiteben » Fri May 5, 2023 9:31 pm

amcoolio wrote:
yosemiteben wrote:
amcoolio wrote:Au contraire, I think Donavon Mitchell would be a Hornet if we had the pure cap space to trade for him...

You think Utah would have just traded into our cap space with pick assets and no contracts over what they got from CLE? That seems highly unrealistic.

Even ignoring that issue, it also seems very impractical to consistently let talent walk so we can stay $30-35M below the cap (what would have been required to take Mitchell into cap space) in order to facilitate that sort of a deal. That whole approach to team building doesn't make sense to me.

amcoolio wrote:Teams trading their disgruntled stars don't want bad contracts back. PJ would instantly be a bad contract the moment he signs his 4/80 with us. Similar to Duncan Robinson

Fine to disagree, I'll just point out that PJ does much, much more than Duncan Robinson.

Yes, I do. Obviously we would have thrown them Bouknight and/or Williams or Jones as young contract filler, but Lauri and Sexton, the contracts in the trade, were not wanted last offseason. The Mitchell was trade was all about the picks. Lauri out of nowhere blew up into an all-star, but that is not what Utah expected at all. Remember about two years ago I was pleading with people on here to sign Lauri with our FA money, but the board seemed really off Lauri and we signed Oubre anyway.

Maybe you're right. Go to the TNT or Jazz board and ask, I would be shocked if they agreed.
SWedd523
RealGM

Post#87 » by SWedd523 » Fri May 5, 2023 9:35 pm

gonna be hard to get impartial responses now after Lauri blew up
LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,552

Post#88 » by LofJ » Fri May 5, 2023 10:02 pm

SWedd523 wrote:gonna be hard to get impartial responses now after Lauri blew up

We were the first team linked to him in the off-season, but the Bulls wanted a pick for him and we weren't able to work out a trade.
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#89 » by yosemiteben » Sat May 6, 2023 12:08 am

SWedd523 wrote:gonna be hard to get impartial responses now after Lauri blew up

Not like we're in a better position to tell them what they would have wanted. There's also the fact that we didn't have the cap space to even do that deal, and not signing PJ won't make it possible next year.

But let's assume we magically created the cap space. Exactly what would have been the pick package you would have offered that would have been better then CLE's + Sexton + Agbaji (assuming no value attributed to Lauri)?
SWedd523
RealGM

Post#90 » by SWedd523 » Sat May 6, 2023 12:10 am

I'm not the one advocating for Mitchell
amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
And1: 9,307

Post#91 » by amcoolio » Sat May 6, 2023 12:48 am

Utah takes Charlotte's same picks over Cleveland no problem, becuase Charlotte has a history of being pretty bad and not a threat at all for sustained success. An unprotected Charlotte pick? Most the NBA would sign up on that very quickly

I didn't want Mitchell either, I'm just making a point that cap space is valuable beyond just signing free agents, and getting pure cap space requires no overpay deals on roleplayers that don't move the needle like Rozier and Washington. Look what OKC has done with cap space. They took bad contracts for late lottery picks.
I don't support domestic violence. Thanks Miles
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#92 » by yosemiteben » Mon May 8, 2023 1:53 pm

Never seen an owner flop before, that was crazy
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 43,387

Post#93 » by JDR720 » Tue May 9, 2023 4:55 am

The Lakers are gonna win another title and I'm already irritated about it.
JMAC3
RealGM
And1: 4,260

Post#94 » by JMAC3 » Tue May 9, 2023 5:44 am

JDR720 wrote:The Lakers are gonna win another title and I'm already irritated about it.

Nah, they are really dependent on matchups. Warriors are a good matchup for them because LeBron can hunt Steph, Poole and Klay and they also really don't have an answer for Davis. If they play Looney, Davis just shuts the rim down and if they go small then Davis just eats on offense.

Denver and Boston are awful matchups for Lakers. Have real size and can play 5 good defenders without sacrificing much on offense.
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
NCHeels2008
RealGM
And1: 2,658

Post#95 » by NCHeels2008 » Tue May 9, 2023 6:02 am

JDR720 wrote:The Lakers are gonna win another title and I'm already irritated about it.

My fianceé is a Warriors fan, I support the Lakers (in addition to the Hornets) since I've lived in LA over a decade. Lets just say its been a tense week and I can't wait for the series to be over. Whatever happens this team was 13th in the west IN MARCH. This run is all house money and honestly, I don't expect them to pull out a ring. If they somehow do, Imma lose my ****.
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 17,958

Post#96 » by Diop » Tue May 9, 2023 2:47 pm

yosemiteben wrote:Never seen an owner flop before, that was crazy

He should’ve gotten something for throwing the ball away
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,712

Post#97 » by fatlever » Tue May 9, 2023 4:40 pm

Kinda feels like the end of the Warriors Dynasty. They really mismanaged assets, roster, picks last few years. Had they done better with those key decisions they could have really been set to dominate for several more years.

If Denver loses to suns, I'll be done watching playoffs for the year. I have zero interest in a suns, Lakers, Celtics, heat semifinals.

Still rooting for a Denver vs sixers finals to see joker and embiid go head to head.

I'd root for Boston if they weren't Boston. I like their team, just can't bring myself to root for a Boston sports team.

Maybe I could get behind the heat. I like spo and butler, just not the franchise.

Sent from my SM-G973U using RealGM Forums mobile app
LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,552

Post#98 » by LofJ » Tue May 9, 2023 5:05 pm

If the Nuggets are eliminated, I'm rooting for the Heat. They have two former Hornets in their rotation. I hate the Heat, but I've always had a grudging respect for them. No way in hell I'm rooting for the Lakers or Celtics. I'm ambivalent about the Suns, although I've never liked Durant.
SWedd523
RealGM

Post#99 » by SWedd523 » Tue May 9, 2023 5:22 pm

Agreed across the board. the Warriors really got lucky with their down seasons to get some high picks and, had they hit, they'd be staring at probably the most dominant dynasty in history.

I know it's stupid and hypothetical and revisionist, but Wagner and Sengun/Murphy in 22 and Melo in 20 and they're runaway champs.

I'm all for Denver right now. "Small" market team with a star player who isn't loud, flashy, or a social justice warrior or media guy.

Lakers and Knicks can get ****, I like seeing Steph do well but they've won enough, The Suns are kinda meh.

I don't like Boston nor Miami but I can respect the way both of those team play. I was a Spoelstra hater for awhile but looking at that roster man, I don't know how they continue to do it. They're the model franchise we should be emulating. "Well-oiled machine".

I'd like to see Denver vs Miami. That's a fun matchup
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 43,387

Post#100 » by JDR720 » Tue May 9, 2023 6:11 pm

I would be fine with the Suns if they didn't have KD.

Caleb and Cody getting a ring would be nice. The Heat have a likable team just...it's the Heat.

Knicks, Boston, Lakers, GS can go jump off a cliff. Philly too.

So Denver is the only one without downside.

Return to Charlotte Hornets