ImageImage

BrandHIM Miller: The Brandon Miller Thread

Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

JMAC3
General Manager
And1: 4,164

Re: BrandHIM Miller: The Brandon Miller Thread 

Post#1421 » by JMAC3 » Tue Feb 6, 2024 4:28 am

In an ideal world Melo isn't having to score 30 a game. So yeah, Miller being the leading scorer and closer is awesome, but LaMelo is legit one of the best creators in the league and the goal should be to surround him with guys he can facilitate too.

Miller is obviously a fit, especially as his creation grows. But I really think Miles as a play finisher is still a great piece to have around Melo. Same with Mark.

Risacher as a guy that is 6-8, can shoot and athletic would be a good player to pair around both Miller and Melo as well. Size, shooting, and length.
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,053

Re: Toolsy: The Brandon Miller Thread 

Post#1422 » by Liver_Pooty » Tue Feb 6, 2024 5:54 am

vorbis wrote:
Liver_Pooty wrote:No one will ever be the best scorer we've had other than Glen Rice. If he was in a bigger market he damn near could've won the MVP that year.

I saw Rice play for the Hornets live probably a hundred times, including the best years. Miller could (eventually) surpass him. he's that good.

I whole heartedly disagree when you factor in the era and such. Not a knock on Miller I love the kid, but Rice as a pure scorer was ridiculous
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,625

Post#1423 » by fatlever » Tue Feb 6, 2024 6:18 am

i haven't been this impressed with a hornets rookie since mourning
**** it, let melo sit and force feed miller against #1 defenders and double-teams. let him get the feel of being the first option.
wilson115
Sixth Man
And1: 968

Post#1424 » by wilson115 » Tue Feb 6, 2024 7:26 am

This is like Mark making an impact after they traded Plumlee last year. Only they didn't wait till the All-Star break to ship Terry out.

Read on Twitter
LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,519

Post#1425 » by LofJ » Tue Feb 6, 2024 1:16 pm

Brandon Miller's attitude is infectious. He plays with a Kobe like edge. We better not screw this up.
JustBuzzin
Head Coach
And1: 5,503

Post#1426 » by JustBuzzin » Tue Feb 6, 2024 2:11 pm

Liver_Pooty wrote:
vorbis wrote:
Liver_Pooty wrote:No one will ever be the best scorer we've had other than Glen Rice. If he was in a bigger market he damn near could've won the MVP that year.

I saw Rice play for the Hornets live probably a hundred times, including the best years. Miller could (eventually) surpass him. he's that good.

I whole heartedly disagree when you factor in the era and such. Not a knock on Miller I love the kid, but Rice as a pure scorer was ridiculous

Glen Rice was a career 18ppg scorer.

He had one breakout season scoring in 96-97 in which he averaged 27ppg. Before that he was a 20-22ppg kind of scorer.

Not saying Miller will be better, but acting like Rice was this elite scorer is just false. He was a great shooter, but he was never at the top of the league in scoring besides that one great year in 96-97.
Bassman
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,525

Post#1427 » by Bassman » Tue Feb 6, 2024 2:18 pm

I absolutely LOVE Miller time. Brandon is our cornerstone. Melo is a critically important and talented part of any future success for sure, but this man is showing up and taking over.

I continue to wait...and hope...for the return to Hornet's glory.
JMAC3
General Manager
And1: 4,164

Post#1428 » by JMAC3 » Tue Feb 6, 2024 2:48 pm

JustBuzzin wrote:
Liver_Pooty wrote:
vorbis wrote:

He had one breakout season scoring in 96-97 in which he averaged 27ppg. Before that he was a 20-22ppg kind of scorer.

Not saying Miller will be better, but acting like Rice was this elite scorer is just false. He was a great shooter, but he was never at the top of the league in scoring besides that one great year in 96-97.

Scoring was a lot lower those days, so probably better to compare per 100 possession numbers.
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets

Post#1429 » by fatlever » Tue Feb 6, 2024 2:48 pm

It's the mid range game that changes everything.
Plus the concerns of low shot release are overblown. He's getting to his spots, getting shots off, making them.

Next steps, strength and ft merchant.

Sent from my SM-G973U using RealGM mobile app
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,053

Post#1430 » by Liver_Pooty » Tue Feb 6, 2024 3:02 pm

JustBuzzin wrote:
Liver_Pooty wrote:
vorbis wrote:

That's obviously the year I'm referring to.
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
Rich4114
RealGM
And1: 4,174

Post#1431 » by Rich4114 » Tue Feb 6, 2024 3:11 pm

fatlever wrote:It's the mid range game that changes everything.
Plus the concerns of low shot release are overblown. He's getting to his spots, getting shots off, making them.

Next steps, strength and ft merchant.

Sent from my SM-G973U using RealGM mobile app

This, he is literally scoring from every spot on the floor. It's going to pressure defenses and when they start doubling him and LaMelo is out there, then LaMelo can cook. Having two players the defense needs to take seriously and worry about opens up so much for everyone else.
vorbis
Veteran
And1: 675

Post#1432 » by vorbis » Tue Feb 6, 2024 3:43 pm

Rice was an elite scorer in his day but it's becoming clear that Miller will be too. only question to me is what the best version of him will look like. there's little doubt that he will average 25+ at some point. but what's the ceiling? I think he could be a top-5 scorer in the league if he develops properly. which Rice was in 96-97 (the only time).

Rice was as much ahead of his time as he was elitely talented. he was one of the earlier examples of outstanding wing length on the perimeter, which meant he always had open looks available to him. he was a more ~vertical~ player than Miller is right now, but Miller is more natural at changing directions on his drives, and he has really nice touch on his herky-jerky pull-ups when he hesitates on the P&R. their midrange games are eerily similar, and their jumpshots look similar as well. the first time I saw Miller's body rotate perfectly and in rhythm to face the basket in shooting formation as he was rounding a screen, I knew that the buckets were going to flow like the Nile with him.

the fact that he's doing this inside the first 50 games of his career indicates that there could be development beyond our initial expectations (actually maybe I'll only speak for myself on that one). add in what I perceive to be a very competitive attitude, fighting through bumps and bruises, and bringing it every night ALREADY, and the sky is the limit.
JustBuzzin
Head Coach
And1: 5,503

Post#1433 » by JustBuzzin » Tue Feb 6, 2024 4:07 pm

vorbis wrote:Rice was an elite scorer in his day but it's becoming clear that Miller will be too. only question to me is what the best version of him will look like. there's little doubt that he will average 25+ at some point. but what's the ceiling? I think he could be a top-5 scorer in the league if he develops properly. which Rice was in 96-97 (the only time).

Rice was as much ahead of his time as he was elitely talented. he was one of the earlier examples of outstanding wing length on the perimeter, which meant he always had open looks available to him. he was a more ~vertical~ player than Miller is right now, but Miller is more natural at changing directions on his drives, and he has really nice touch on his herky-jerky pull-ups when he hesitates on the P&R. their midrange games are eerily similar, and their jumpshots look similar as well. the first time I saw Miller's body rotate perfectly and in rhythm to face the basket in shooting formation as he was rounding a screen, I knew that the buckets were going to flow like the Nile with him.

the fact that he's doing this inside the first 50 games of his career indicates that there could be development beyond our initial expectations (actually maybe I'll only speak for myself on that one). add in what I perceive to be a very competitive attitude, fighting through bumps and bruises, and bringing it every night ALREADY, and the sky is the limit.
I was sold on this kid when he dropped 41 points in a college game. That was with the crowd booing him every time he touched the ball. He has that killer mentality that Kobe had.

Can't say that I'm surprised, just didn't expect him to be this advanced as a scorer so quickly.
Trey24
Sixth Man
And1: 2,020

Post#1434 » by Trey24 » Tue Feb 6, 2024 5:42 pm

The only thing I was reserved about with Miller in the draft process was how he struggled in March Madness, then I found out he played through mono and a strained quad or something against doctors orders and I was sold. Anyone that plays through mono at that age is a dawg, that is a very serious and debilitating illness that saps all of your energy for months and months. It probably was still effecting him at the start of the season.

Sky is the limit for our guy now!
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,500

Post#1435 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Feb 6, 2024 8:00 pm

I'm eating a ton of crow regarding this pick.

The kid looks great.

...a real gunslinger. :wink:

Read on Twitter
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets

Post#1436 » by fatlever » Tue Feb 6, 2024 9:34 pm

miller and wemby on same rising stars team
Snidely FC
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,141

Post#1437 » by Snidely FC » Tue Feb 6, 2024 10:07 pm

maybe I'm a little slow, somebody enlighten me, what does BrandHIM in the new thread name mean?
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets

Post#1438 » by fatlever » Tue Feb 6, 2024 10:16 pm

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GFrzoaBWMAAalP0?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

Read on Twitter
?s=20
KingCat
Sixth Man
And1: 831

Post#1439 » by KingCat » Tue Feb 6, 2024 10:32 pm

Snidely FC wrote:maybe I'm a little slow, somebody enlighten me, what does BrandHIM in the new thread name mean?

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/him-meaning-origin-slang-joe-burrow-lebron-james/xpmcoeeduki2v74l87goaoue
Your Charlotte Hornets! We’ll eventually get something right;right?
Snidely FC
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,141

Post#1440 » by Snidely FC » Sat Feb 10, 2024 4:23 pm

Hornet Hater Bill Simmons even changing his tune:
“I thought Charlotte should have taken Scoot [Henderson]. I’m on a run of just being wrong, Jesus. Brandon Miller is really good, I love Brandon Miller. If I’m Charlotte, he’s the only keeper on my team, everyone else is available.”

Bill Simmons on Brandon Miller

(via The Bill Simmons Podcast)

Return to Charlotte Hornets