2024 Draft Prospects

Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

JustBuzzin
Head Coach
And1: 5,503

Re: 2024 Draft Prospects 

Post#781 » by JustBuzzin » Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:58 pm

JMAC3 wrote:
Snidely FC wrote:My only concern with Topic would be overlap of skillsets w LaMelo

We are loading up on Serbs. Micic and Poku would be ecstatic to add Topic.

Topic is probably at his best playing the point, not going to argue that. However, he has great size at 6-6 that playing him and Melo together wouldn't be a small lineup at all. Topic excels at getting into the paint and looking for kickout 3s which stylistically would fit with Melo and Miller quite nicely. He also loves to push the pace which has been a big part of our identity when we have played well the last few years. Also, he immediately upgrades the backup pg spot even though Micic has done a nice job he isn't part of the longterm plans.

The difference to me between him and Scoot, who I thought was a bad move to draft last year is really just size. Topic is listed as a forward right now on his team because he has that versatility. He has been listed at 6-7 with a 7 foot wingspan, but some question if that is entirely accurate.

His 3 ball is a concern, but I have seen him shoot a fair amount (4.5 per game) of them with a solid confidence and he is an 88% from FT which is typically a really strong indicator on shooting mechanics.

LaMelo/Topic/Miller sounds fun on offense.

Any chance we can add another playmaker has to be considered especially if we plan on bringing Miles back. Just not sure if Melo is ready to give up the ball control. I think a secondary playmaker someone like Castle would be a better fit. But Topic looks pretty smart so I think he could adjust his game to play off ball.
JMAC3
General Manager
And1: 4,164

Post#782 » by JMAC3 » Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:27 pm

JustBuzzin wrote:
JMAC3 wrote:
Snidely FC wrote:My only concern with Topic would be overlap of skillsets w LaMelo

Topic is probably at his best playing the point, not going to argue that. However, he has great size at 6-6 that playing him and Melo together wouldn't be a small lineup at all. Topic excels at getting into the paint and looking for kickout 3s which stylistically would fit with Melo and Miller quite nicely. He also loves to push the pace which has been a big part of our identity when we have played well the last few years. Also, he immediately upgrades the backup pg spot even though Micic has done a nice job he isn't part of the longterm plans.

The difference to me between him and Scoot, who I thought was a bad move to draft last year is really just size. Topic is listed as a forward right now on his team because he has that versatility. He has been listed at 6-7 with a 7 foot wingspan, but some question if that is entirely accurate.

His 3 ball is a concern, but I have seen him shoot a fair amount (4.5 per game) of them with a solid confidence and he is an 88% from FT which is typically a really strong indicator on shooting mechanics.

Any chance we can add another playmaker has to be considered especially if we plan on bringing Miles back. Just not sure if Melo is ready to give up the ball control. I think a secondary playmaker someone like Castle would be a better fit. But Topic looks pretty smart so I think he could adjust his game to play off ball.

At the end of the day the ball will be in the best players hands the most. If Melo is better than Topic he doesn't have anything to worry about. If Miller takes some huge step, he will have the ball a lot more even if we have Topic and Melo, I think that will sort itself out.

Melo and Miller are so valuable because they are the type of guys who can have the ball but aren't completely worthless without it because of their shooting. I think Miles is similar with his cutting and improved shooting, the more guys a defense has to worry about as a playmaker the harder you are to guard.
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
JustBuzzin
Head Coach

Post#783 » by JustBuzzin » Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:09 pm

JMAC3 wrote:
JustBuzzin wrote:
JMAC3 wrote:

At the end of the day the ball will be in the best players hands the most. If Melo is better than Topic he doesn't have anything to worry about. If Miller takes some huge step, he will have the ball a lot more even if we have Topic and Melo, I think that will sort itself out.

Melo and Miller are so valuable because they are the type of guys who can have the ball but aren't completely worthless without it because of their shooting. I think Miles is similar with his cutting and improved shooting, the more guys a defense has to worry about as a playmaker the harder you are to guard.
I would be fine with Topic. I rather have him than Sheppard that's for sure!
luciano-davidwesley
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,247

Post#784 » by luciano-davidwesley » Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:10 pm

JMAC3 wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

Who does this pass remind you of?

That kind of instinctual passing is what you look for. That's a super translatable skill at NBA level.
MasterIchiro
RealGM
And1: 5,340

Post#785 » by MasterIchiro » Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:52 pm

Big fan of Topic and would feel fine moving LaMelo off ball to relieve some stress and injury risk. Topic is gifted.
It has been written...
KingCat
Sixth Man
And1: 831

Post#786 » by KingCat » Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:37 am

Just based on word of mouth, a weak college class, and some highlights, I guess Topic would be my number 1? He is also kinda getting the Kyrie/Garland benefit of getting injured early therefore getting the benefit of the doubt. Would not mind getting a younger Melo insurance and then maybe being able to flip Micic for something later on.
Your Charlotte Hornets! We’ll eventually get something right;right?
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,656

Post#787 » by yosemiteben » Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:55 am

JustBuzzin wrote:I know some of you have been saying we need another legit scorer.

Would you trade our top 5 pick for a guy like Jalen Green from the Rockets?

Green has been killing it lately, his value is sky high right now
JustBuzzin
Head Coach

Post#788 » by JustBuzzin » Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:34 pm

yosemiteben wrote:
JustBuzzin wrote:I know some of you have been saying we need another legit scorer.

Would you trade our top 5 pick for a guy like Jalen Green from the Rockets?

Green has been killing it lately, his value is sky high right now

Yeah he's probably off the market. Dude is a baller!
JMAC3
General Manager
And1: 4,164

Post#789 » by JMAC3 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:31 pm

KingCat wrote:Just based on word of mouth, a weak college class, and some highlights, I guess Topic would be my number 1? He is also kinda getting the Kyrie/Garland benefit of getting injured early therefore getting the benefit of the doubt. Would not mind getting a younger Melo insurance and then maybe being able to flip Micic for something later on.

I think if he hadn't gotten hurt he would be the #1 pick easy. At 18 he was pacing to play around 20 mins per game in the EuroLeague given it was only 2 games, but most 18 year olds are playing like 5-6 mpg if they are lucky.
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
GoBobs
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,507

Post#790 » by GoBobs » Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:03 pm

Looking back at the Dean on draft writeup from 2021 and he has some amazing calls here

Tier 1
1. Mobley

Tier 2
2. Jalen Suggs
3. Scottie Barnes
4. Franz Wagner
5. Sengun
6. Cade Cunningham

Everyone else pretty much had Cade as the consensus number 1 and it is pretty clear at this point that he wasn't likely the best prospect from this draft. Also higher on Sengun and Wagner than consensus which turned out to be true.

Some other notables.

14 Bouknight who was in the beginning of tier 4

33. Corey Krispert - pegged this guy as a bust despite concensus being higher, he ended up picked at 15 by the wizards

39. Tre Mann

40. Davion Mitchel - correctly called Mitchel as a bust drafted 9th

45. Kai Jones - correctly pegged both K. Jones and JT Thor as busts

46. JT Thor

49. Josh Primo - Picked 12th by the spurs woof. The off the court stuff didn't help him but looks like he would still be a bust anyway. He is currently on the Clippers roster but not really doing anything.

Nobody nails every draft and everybody is going to miss some, but I respect that he at least has his own opinions where most of the Mocks are just an echo chamber.
GoBobs
Assistant Coach

Post#791 » by GoBobs » Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:10 pm

2020 He has

1. Edwards
2. Ball
3. Wiseman
4. Haliburton

Correctly had Ball over Wiseman. Had Haliburton much higher than consensus. (drafted 14)
GoBobs
Assistant Coach

Post#792 » by GoBobs » Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:15 pm

2022 he had

1. Paulo
2. Smith Jr
3. Chet

1. Wemby
2. Brandon Miller
3. Cason Wallace
4. Scoot

Correctly had Miller #2 and wasn't high on Scoot
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,624

Post#793 » by fatlever » Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:55 pm

What's up with the star trek center who can pass?
Would love another high level passer.

Sent from my SM-G973U using RealGM mobile app
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,540

Post#794 » by HornetJail » Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:18 pm

let's just hire that dude
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
wilson115
Sixth Man
And1: 968

Post#795 » by wilson115 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:52 pm

UConn v Aztecs now. Clingan, Castle vs Ledee. These are good teams.
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets

Post#796 » by fatlever » Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:20 am

Klingon..clingan... that's the center dude who passes, right?

Sent from my SM-G973U using RealGM mobile app
MasterIchiro
RealGM
And1: 5,340

Post#797 » by MasterIchiro » Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:51 am

Castle with a solid game on both ends. His handles, body, playmaking, slashing, rebounding, rim pressure quickness, athleticism, agility, IQ - all NBA ready.

With the LaMelo news, I pray we're in position to draft Nikola Topic.

Castle looks like a 2-way wing would could be a secondary ball handler. A rare find while giving him a high floor.
It has been written...
JustBuzzin
Head Coach

Post#798 » by JustBuzzin » Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:59 am

Stephon Castle is my pick right now!

Even if we get the #1 pick. Iv'e seen enough. This is who I want!

You can't teach basketball IQ. This kid has it. He is the most NBA ready of all the prospects. Only weakness I see is shooting. I guy with that much skill can surely improve his jumpshot. We become a smarter team with him on the floor. He's also guarding the best offensive player each game. The kid plays defense what more can you ask for!
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets

Post#799 » by fatlever » Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:20 am

from someone who doesn't watch college...
how is castle different than cody m, other than being younger, cause ya'll describing cody
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,656

Post#800 » by yosemiteben » Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:22 am

I'm 100% out on Castle after watching the last 2 games

Return to Charlotte Hornets