ImageImage

2024 Draft Prospects

Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

Rich4114
RealGM
And1: 4,179

Re: 2024 Draft Prospects 

Post#1241 » by Rich4114 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:04 pm

You take BPA/high upside in the draft and address needs like defense in free agency. Expecting a rookie to come in and lock down defenders is a tall ask. Whoever we pick would likely only contribute marginally next season, you're drafting for 3-4 seasons down the road and beyond. If we drop far enough and Castle is BPA, then let's go for it. But he seems like a REALLY bad shooter which means you need to be absolutely elite at something else in the NBA to survive.

Let's also not forget how badly we need rebounding. Look at how many games we were outrebounded this past season, it was atrocious.
JustBuzzin
Head Coach
And1: 5,937

Post#1242 » by JustBuzzin » Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:14 pm

JMAC3 wrote:
JustBuzzin wrote:
JMAC3 wrote:
We had the 28th best offense in the league, yes LaMelo out hurts but we also aren't loaded with offensive talent after trading Terry, Gordon and PJ. Right now, Grant Williams would likely be our 4th best scorer based on this, which is probably not a good bet if your thesis is we don't need scoring. You are also assuming Melo, Miles and Miller are healthy the majority of the year.

You are also assuming Miles is 100% back, which I lean heavily, but not guaranteed.

We do need defense, but I think it's a really big stretch to assume offense is fine with this current group.

My question who in this draft is a elite scorer?

Are you suggesting we take Knecht or Dillingham?

Not necessarily, I just think you are pushing a narrative that isn't true. There is also a good chance that both Miles and Melo scoring goes down based on Miller scoring going up so probably some cannibalization ala what we saw when Terry went to Miami. Having another guy that can be a 12 ppg scorer off the bench next year with upside to be more is probably not an immediate answer but it gives us some options that we probably need.

Also, you can be a good offensive player by adding spacing such as a Risacher that gives the rest of the offense easier scoring opportunities, Castle is probably the opposite and would make scoring harder when he is on the floor vs the standard NBA guard.

I didn't know my opinion was a narrative. I learn something new everyday.

People can have their own opinion without pushing a narrative.
JMAC3
General Manager
And1: 4,180

Post#1243 » by JMAC3 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:31 pm

JustBuzzin wrote:
JMAC3 wrote:
JustBuzzin wrote:My question who in this draft is a elite scorer?

Are you suggesting we take Knecht or Dillingham?

Not necessarily, I just think you are pushing a narrative that isn't true. There is also a good chance that both Miles and Melo scoring goes down based on Miller scoring going up so probably some cannibalization ala what we saw when Terry went to Miami. Having another guy that can be a 12 ppg scorer off the bench next year with upside to be more is probably not an immediate answer but it gives us some options that we probably need.

Also, you can be a good offensive player by adding spacing such as a Risacher that gives the rest of the offense easier scoring opportunities, Castle is probably the opposite and would make scoring harder when he is on the floor vs the standard NBA guard.

I didn't know my opinion was a narrative. I learn something new everyday.

People can have their own opinion without pushing a narrative.

You don't think saying stuff like "100% sure we will take either Castle or Sarr because we need defense" isn't creating a narrative in your head?
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,524

Post#1244 » by LofJ » Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:43 pm

We won the tie breaker over Portland:

Read on Twitter
LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,524

Post#1245 » by LofJ » Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:55 pm

Flip of the coin odds that we'll land in the top 4 or outside it:

Read on Twitter
JustBuzzin
Head Coach

Post#1246 » by JustBuzzin » Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:03 pm

#1 pick here we come!
SWedd523
RealGM
And1: 5,185

Post#1247 » by SWedd523 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:13 pm

Snidely FC wrote:btw prospects are required to get combine measurements starting this year:
Beginning in 2024, all invited players will be required to attend and participate in the NBA Draft Combine or be ineligible to be drafted until the "first subsequent draft for which the player attends and fully participates."

Participation will include league medical examinations, sharing of medical history and biomechanical and functional movement testing, as well as strength and agility testing, shooting drills, performance testing and anthropometric measurements. Players will also be required to conduct team interviews, media circuits, player development sessions and other assessments, as determined by the NBA in consultation with the NBPA. Players will not be compelled to compete in five-on-five scrimmaging, which typically only a handful of first-round prospects elect to participate in.

I'm surprised the players association agreed to that but it's **** awesome news
Rich4114
RealGM
And1: 4,179

Post#1248 » by Rich4114 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:18 pm

SWedd523 wrote:
Snidely FC wrote:btw prospects are required to get combine measurements starting this year:
Beginning in 2024, all invited players will be required to attend and participate in the NBA Draft Combine or be ineligible to be drafted until the "first subsequent draft for which the player attends and fully participates."

Participation will include league medical examinations, sharing of medical history and biomechanical and functional movement testing, as well as strength and agility testing, shooting drills, performance testing and anthropometric measurements. Players will also be required to conduct team interviews, media circuits, player development sessions and other assessments, as determined by the NBA in consultation with the NBPA. Players will not be compelled to compete in five-on-five scrimmaging, which typically only a handful of first-round prospects elect to participate in.

That is big and I'm glad they did it
luciano-davidwesley
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,253

Post#1249 » by luciano-davidwesley » Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:31 pm

SWedd523 wrote:

Why not? The PA is made up of current NBA players not guys yet to be drafted. It's no skin off their nose if future draftees have to measure at the combine.

It is also just common sense that participation should be madatory at the combine - unless you have something to hide why not participate?
amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
And1: 9,257

Post#1250 » by amcoolio » Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:25 am

Clingan looking like a good option if we pick 3 or 4 or 5 after watching Hartenstein tonight. We need people who can play, and Mark Williams doesn't and Richards just isn't good.
I don't support domestic violence. Thanks Miles
Bassman
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,527

Post#1251 » by Bassman » Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:14 pm

amcoolio wrote:Clingan looking like a good option if we pick 3 or 4 or 5 after watching Hartenstein tonight. We need people who can play, and Mark Williams doesn't and Richards just isn't good.

Agree that Clingan deserves consideration for our situation but not with the #1 pick. If we lucked into that I’d hope we could draft a long term starter, even in a weak draft. My top 5 as of now (but I change my mind almost daily, and the workouts haven’t even begun):

1. Sarr
2. Buzelis
3. Clingan
4. Holland
5. Risacher
I continue to wait...and hope...for the return to Hornet's glory.
JustBuzzin
Head Coach

Post#1252 » by JustBuzzin » Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:18 pm

Bassman wrote:
amcoolio wrote:Clingan looking like a good option if we pick 3 or 4 or 5 after watching Hartenstein tonight. We need people who can play, and Mark Williams doesn't and Richards just isn't good.

Agree that Clingan deserves consideration for our situation but not with the #1 pick. If we lucked into that I’d hope we could draft a long term starter, even in a weak draft. My top 5 as of now (but I change my mind almost daily, and the workouts haven’t even begun):

1. Sarr
2. Buzelis
3. Clingan
4. Holland
5. Risacher

Do you view Buzelis as a sf or pf?
Bassman
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,527

Post#1253 » by Bassman » Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:28 pm

JustBuzzin wrote:
Bassman wrote:

1. Sarr
2. Buzelis
3. Clingan
4. Holland
5. Risacher

Do you view Buzelis as a sf or pf?

I think he projects as a SF, especially IF (and it’s a big IF) he can improve his 3% consistency. I think he would be an interesting addition given his skill set and length. I also think he isn’t a redundant player next to Miller (who would play the 2).
I continue to wait...and hope...for the return to Hornet's glory.
Goodecharlotte
Sophomore
And1: 125

Post#1254 » by Goodecharlotte » Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:46 pm

If we get #1 I'll be banging the table for Sarr, and if we drop down to say 4 I'd take a flyer on Cody Williams who given 2 years of building up could tun out to be special. You never know he could turn into Kawhi Leonard :D
JustBuzzin
Head Coach

Post#1255 » by JustBuzzin » Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:04 pm

Cody Williams ain't got that DAWG in him.

I would take him if we dropped back in the draft. Not sure I would take him in the top 5.
bravor
Starter
And1: 738

Post#1256 » by bravor » Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:23 pm

Not sure if he will maintain his name in this draft, but we have another promising prospect that just declared for 2024th draft. His name is Mohamed Diawara.
I like him quite a lot, even though he's not a scorer, but he has a pretty high potential as main defender/point forward. He only needs playing time to expand his game on offense (the shooting improving this year being a good thing). His team defense/individual defense are already legit, as his toughness and basket IQ.

I doubt he maintains his name though, he should be 1st round material, esp. in such a weak draft.
amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
And1: 9,257

Post#1257 » by amcoolio » Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:37 pm

Cody Williams has poor athleticism. He'd be the #1 pick if he had Sarr's athletic ability
I don't support domestic violence. Thanks Miles
MugzZo
Sixth Man
And1: 910

Post#1258 » by MugzZo » Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:47 pm

Big no on Cody Williams. It would be so disappointing if he was the guy we drafted. Dudes is a magician, and his only act is the ability to disappear during the entire game.

Sent from my SM-F936U using RealGM mobile app
JustBuzzin
Head Coach

Post#1259 » by JustBuzzin » Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:02 pm

bravor wrote:Not sure if he will maintain his name in this draft, but we have another promising prospect that just declared for 2024th draft. His name is Mohamed Diawara.
I like him quite a lot, even though he's not a scorer, but he has a pretty high potential as main defender/point forward. He only needs playing time to expand his game on offense (the shooting improving this year being a good thing). His team defense/individual defense are already legit, as his toughness and basket IQ.

I doubt he maintains his name though, he should be 1st round material, esp. in such a weak draft.

Interesting where do you have him ranked on your big board?

This my first time hearing his name.
MPM
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,711

Post#1260 » by MPM » Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:39 pm

bravor wrote:Not sure if he will maintain his name in this draft, but we have another promising prospect that just declared for 2024th draft. His name is Mohamed Diawara.

Curious on your take on Risacher vs. Saluan - for the life of me I don't see why there's so much separation - Saluan seems like just as good a prospect with arguably better defense and shot (and obviously super athletic).

Return to Charlotte Hornets