3pt% .391 on 5 attempts per game
FT% .791
TS% .546
lmcguir15
Ballboy
And1: 61

Re: 2024 Draft Prospects 

Post#1182 » by lmcguir15 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:11 pm

Snidely FC wrote:ESPN has Hornets selecting Cam Christie in latest mock draft 2nd rd at #42
6'6 SG 18 yo
younger brother of Laker guard Max Christie
Cam Can Shoot:
3pt% .391 on 5 attempts per game
FT% .791
TS% .546

Not that it matters much sibling to sibling, but I was a fan of Max this deadline and hoped we could swing a deal for him. He seems like a fun developmental project with good upside. If Cam is anything like his brother, I'm in.

Also would consider Ajay Mitchell in the second. Micic is nice as a backup primary ballhandler, but I don't think he has starter upside and he's already 30. Mitchell while on the older side for a college prospect, presents a value for that exact reason and is a pretty solid scorer.
"It's true, you can't lose what you don't put in the middle. But you can't win very much either."
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,642

Post#1183 » by fatlever » Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:47 pm

https://youtu.be/CW94MnSorNw?si=bC7Wj4uL2SPUaKXd

They talked a lot in this video about Shepherd being a good fit for the Hornets, up tempo, provides spacing
Or Holland if we think we're set on letting miles walk.

They operate a lot on the assumption that Miller and miles will be locked in the three and four spots for the next upcoming years so it makes less sense to look at a forward. But that assumes one that we wouldn't draft best possible player regardless, and two that we actually view Miller as a long-term small forward rather than a long-term shooting guard. Clifford has suggested that his ideal position moving forward could be shooting guard.

Sent from my SM-G973U using RealGM mobile app
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets

Post#1184 » by fatlever » Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:49 pm

Clifford's new role in the organization is anyone's guess, but he has specifically mentioned his high level of interest in being very involved in the draft and scouting process. I do think Clifford has a pretty decent eye for talent in the draft, and probably knows better than most anyone what this team needs in terms of skill set and personality.

Knowing what we know about Clifford and the type of player he gravitates towards, I wonder which players he would lean towards. I would say two things, Clifford always loves positional length and the ultimate goal of playing Five out, so three-point shooting.

LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,522

Post#1185 » by LofJ » Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:05 pm

Clifford also complained all season about our lack of physicality. He wasn't wrong, physical teams punished us and we weren't able to respond.
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets

Post#1186 » by fatlever » Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:43 pm

He definitely didn't say that he wished he had more combo guards LOL

Bassman
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,526

Post#1187 » by Bassman » Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:17 pm

Snidely FC wrote:there is still incentive for one more year in the lottery
The Hornets still owe a top-14-protected first to the Spurs. If it does not convey next season, Charlotte will send San Antonio 2025 and 2026 second-round picks. Charlotte has seven second-round picks available.

Even with most players back and healthy next year, I don’t see the Hornets suddenly sparking up into a playoff team. Maybe reach play in, but it’s very possible we are in next year’s lottery, which wouldn’t be the worst thing relative to this pick. With the strength of teams ahead of us, a new coaching staff and reset on player minutes/roles, it’s likely to be a 2 to 3 year process to be a solid playoff contender.
I continue to wait...and hope...for the return to Hornet's glory.
SWedd523
RealGM
And1: 5,181

Post#1188 » by SWedd523 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:37 pm

fatlever wrote:https://youtu.be/CW94MnSorNw?si=bC7Wj4uL2SPUaKXd

They talked a lot in this video about Shepherd being a good fit for the Hornets, up tempo, provides spacing
Or Holland if we think we're set on letting miles walk.

They operate a lot on the assumption that Miller and miles will be locked in the three and four spots for the next upcoming years so it makes less sense to look at a forward. But that assumes one that we wouldn't draft best possible player regardless, and two that we actually view Miller as a long-term small forward rather than a long-term shooting guard. Clifford has suggested that his ideal position moving forward could be shooting guard.

I think that's shortsighted and, if anything, I view Miller as a long term 2.

I certainly don't want to draft any small guard who isn't quick enough to beat guys off the dribble. Sheppard is going to be relegated to shame corner catch and shoot duty and I'm not investing a top 5 pick into that sort of limitation.

I think they have enough random combo guards laying around to give them another year to see who's who. I'm looking very hard at wing and forward depth this off-season. 3-5 are my main targets with more shooting being ancillary requirements.

I think we actually have some good shooting in the main (healthy [lol]) rotation. We just don't have the gravitational players necessary to generate open looks for them.

Melo/Miller/Miles as the primary scoring options should unlock the offense for more spacing
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 43,226

Post#1189 » by JDR720 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:16 pm

Although Sheppard has outstanding instincts, most starting NBA 2-guards will have a physical advantage over him.

Ideally, he'll go to a team that already has a big ball-handler who could draw opposing 2-guards on defense or one that's willing to use him at point guard.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10112023-reed-sheppard-scouting-report-pro-comps-and-predictions-for-2024-nba-draft-prospect
EmpireFalls
Sixth Man
And1: 3,075

Post#1190 » by EmpireFalls » Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:20 pm

Ron Holland. Ron Holland. Ron Holland. He is The One.

Read on Twitter
?s=46
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#1191 » by JDR720 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:28 pm

Holland finished the season shooting 24.0 percent on 3.3 three-point attempts per game. He was highly streaky, with far more cold nights than hot ones.

He also shot 28.6 percent in the mid-range and 72.8 percent from the free-throw line, both of which are underwhelming numbers for a perimeter player.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10113135-ron-holland-ii-scouting-report-pro-comps-and-predictions-for-2024-nba-draft-prospect
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#1192 » by JDR720 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:49 pm

It's unfortunate the two best defensive prospects (besides Sarr) can't shoot. (Holland/Castle)

The two best shooting prospects are "low upside". (Reed/Knect)

The best playmaker has a bad knee. (Topic)

If we don't get Sarr, I'm more strongly leaning towards drafting someone who at worst has a high floor and defined NBA role/skill.
LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,522

Post#1193 » by LofJ » Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:05 pm

Holland can do enough of everything else that I'm not particularly worried about his shot. If he was already a decent shooter he would be the runaway number one prospect in this draft. His shot form also isn't bad, I feel confident that he'll get better. And besides just about no one played or shot well on that G-League team. Buzelis was seen as a super skilled wing that could shoot and pass and he didn't show much of that at all. The piss poor Ignite coaching and infrastructure likely made them both look worse than they are.
MasterIchiro
RealGM
And1: 5,343

Post#1194 » by MasterIchiro » Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:07 pm

JDR720 wrote:It's unfortunate the two best defensive prospects (besides Sarr) can't shoot. (Holland/Castle)

If we don't get Sarr, I'm more strongly leaning towards drafting someone who at worst has a high floor and defined NBA role/skill.

"Bad" is not really a word that defines clinical/medical parameters. So what is the diagnosis on his knee and how did you arrive at the conclusion his official diagnosis is "bad"?
It has been written...
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,660

Post#1195 » by yosemiteben » Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:17 pm

MasterIchiro wrote:
JDR720 wrote:It's unfortunate the two best defensive prospects (besides Sarr) can't shoot. (Holland/Castle)

"Bad" is not really a word that defines clinical/medical parameters. So what is the diagnosis on his knee and how did you arrive at the conclusion his official diagnosis is "bad"?

I'm assuming you could substitute "injured" for "bad" - thinking he was just saying Topic had a couple months worth of DNPs due to a knee injury.
MasterIchiro
RealGM

Post#1196 » by MasterIchiro » Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:09 pm

yosemiteben wrote:
MasterIchiro wrote:

I'm assuming you could substitute "injured" for "bad" - thinking he was just saying Topic had a couple months worth of DNPs due to a knee injury.

Really? Bad knee has the connotation the knee is no good. Injured knee could mean permanent or temporary.

So does he have a bad knee?
It has been written...
MasterIchiro
RealGM

Post#1197 » by MasterIchiro » Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:10 pm

Or a temporary injury?
It has been written...
MasterIchiro
RealGM

Post#1198 » by MasterIchiro » Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:13 pm

If I told you I have a bad back. Or, I have a bad hip.

Is that the same as me saying I have a back injury or hip injury?
It has been written...
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,660

Post#1199 » by yosemiteben » Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:51 pm

MasterIchiro wrote:
yosemiteben wrote:
MasterIchiro wrote:

Really? Bad knee has the connotation the knee is no good. Injured knee could mean permanent or temporary.

So does he have a bad knee?

I dunno, I actually don't know anything about the injury at all, just assuming JDR didn't do a bunch of research before saying that.
MugzZo
Sixth Man
And1: 909

Post#1200 » by MugzZo » Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:54 pm

I'm starting to go back to my original favorite player in this draft. Matas buzelis. I like his game and I think if he can figure out his shooting out a bit he's a really good get for us. I could see the front office looking at that game winner over brandon miller on all star weekend and thinking what it could be like with him playing next to b-milly.

Sent from my SM-F936U using RealGM mobile app

Return to Charlotte Hornets