2024 Draft Prospects

Moderators: yosemiteben, BigSlam, JDR720, Diop, fatlever

yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,699

Re: 2024 Draft Prospects 

Post#821 » by yosemiteben » Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:27 pm

When I watched Castle, I was struck by his size. There is no way that dude is 6'6". He looks like an average sized college SG out there. He's going to be undersized trying to guard NBA wings unless he grows.

Drafting a guard with poor shooting skills is just a big thumbs down for me. If he had better size and I felt confident about him locking down larger wings, I'd be more interested. He may have high IQ, but I see a non-scorer that doesn't have elite size and that's hard to get excited about.

Give me someone with outlier skills (like Topic or Sheppard) or size + athleticism (like Holland or Sarr) over Castle.

If his combine measurements are bigger than I'm expecting, I'll potentially be more interested.
MasterIchiro
RealGM
And1: 5,382

Post#822 » by MasterIchiro » Sat Mar 30, 2024 11:47 pm

KOC showing Donovan Clingan some love on Twitter. He's been a monster leading the slaughter against the #10 team in the country.

Read on Twitter
It has been written...
Bassman
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,554

Post#823 » by Bassman » Sun Mar 31, 2024 12:50 am

yosemiteben wrote:When I watched Castle, I was struck by his size. There is no way that dude is 6'6". He looks like an average sized college SG out there. He's going to be undersized trying to guard NBA wings unless he grows.

Drafting a guard with poor shooting skills is just a big thumbs down for me. If he had better size and I felt confident about him locking down larger wings, I'd be more interested. He may have high IQ, but I see a non-scorer that doesn't have elite size and that's hard to get excited about.

Give me someone with outlier skills (like Topic or Sheppard) or size + athleticism (like Holland or Sarr) over Castle.

If his combine measurements are bigger than I'm expecting, I'll potentially be more interested.

Dittos on Castle…good qualities but not good enough for where we will pick. I don’t want to draft a NGSSG (not good shooter shooting guard).
I continue to wait...and hope...for the return to Hornet's glory.
MasterIchiro
RealGM

Post#824 » by MasterIchiro » Sun Mar 31, 2024 1:00 am

Hahaha

Read on Twitter
It has been written...
MasterIchiro
RealGM

Post#825 » by MasterIchiro » Sun Mar 31, 2024 1:03 am

Bassman wrote:
yosemiteben wrote:When I watched Castle, I was struck by his size. There is no way that dude is 6'6". He looks like an average sized college SG out there. He's going to be undersized trying to guard NBA wings unless he grows.

Dittos on Castle…good qualities but not good enough for where we will pick. I don’t want to draft a NGSSG (not good shooter shooting guard).

Can't dismiss the 2 elite shooters sandwich-ing him. LaMelo and Miller need the lion's share of perimeter looks. Miles can space/slash.

They didn't need Terry's spacing. It's redundant and takes shots from more efficient spacers. No pick in this draft deserves to take a 3 over LaMelo or Miller. None.
It has been written...
MasterIchiro
RealGM

Post#826 » by MasterIchiro » Sun Mar 31, 2024 1:17 am

Read on Twitter
It has been written...
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#827 » by yosemiteben » Sun Mar 31, 2024 1:51 am

MasterIchiro wrote:
Bassman wrote:

Can't dismiss the 2 elite shooters sandwich-ing him. LaMelo and Miller need the lion's share of perimeter looks. Miles can space/slash.

They didn't need Terry's spacing. It's redundant and takes shots from more efficient spacers. No pick in this draft deserves to take a 3 over LaMelo or Miller. None.

Novel take that adding shooters would be a negative for literally any team in the NBA, much less the one that will finish the season bottom 3 in offense.
MasterIchiro
RealGM

Post#828 » by MasterIchiro » Sun Mar 31, 2024 1:54 am

yosemiteben wrote:
MasterIchiro wrote:
Bassman wrote:

Novel take that adding shooters would be a negative for literally any team in the NBA, much less the one that will finish the season bottom 3 in offense.

Without LaMelo. Try again.
It has been written...
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#829 » by yosemiteben » Sun Mar 31, 2024 2:06 am

MasterIchiro wrote:
yosemiteben wrote:
MasterIchiro wrote:

No team in the NBA uses the philosophy of "if you have 2 good shooters, don't add more because too much shooting is bad."

I got Castle is your guy, and I have no issue with anyone liking him and wishing he played here.

But this argument they we have too much shooting to add more is...I just can't believe it's a serious argument. Spacing is always good. Shooters benefit from having other shooters. Playmakers love shooters.
MasterIchiro
RealGM

Post#830 » by MasterIchiro » Sun Mar 31, 2024 2:47 am

yosemiteben wrote:
MasterIchiro wrote:
yosemiteben wrote:Novel take that adding shooters would be a negative for literally any team in the NBA, much less the one that will finish the season bottom 3 in offense.

No team in the NBA uses the philosophy of "if you have 2 good shooters, don't add more because too much shooting is bad."

I got Castle is your guy, and I have no issue with anyone liking him and wishing he played here.

But this argument they we have too much shooting to add more is...I just can't believe it's a serious argument. Spacing is always good. Shooters benefit from having other shooters. Playmakers love shooters.

Nik Topic is my guy, guy. He's not a shooter either.
It has been written...
MugzZo
Sixth Man
And1: 936

Post#831 » by MugzZo » Sun Mar 31, 2024 3:30 am

Topic is almost must-have. Simply because if he can't play next year...dude experiment done. He will be nothing but a liability that we place false hope in. 2 seasons is bad enough. Melo can't go give topic they keys and go get a high pick in the 25 draft, which is supposed to be deeper. This castle talk needs to stop he's gonna be 6'4 at most without shoes and he can't shoot. We need the Melo replacement asap. Hopefully topic can be that guy if we get him.

Sent from my SM-F936U using RealGM mobile app
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#832 » by yosemiteben » Sun Mar 31, 2024 3:37 am

MasterIchiro wrote:
yosemiteben wrote:
MasterIchiro wrote:

Would you like him less if he also was an elite shooter? It's just a truly wild take to spin him being a bad shooter as a positive.
JustBuzzin
General Manager
And1: 6,459

Post#833 » by JustBuzzin » Sun Mar 31, 2024 4:05 am

MugzZo wrote:Topic is almost must-have. Simply because if he can't play next year...dude experiment done. He will be nothing but a liability that we place false hope in. 2 seasons is bad enough. Melo can't go give topic they keys and go get a high pick in the 25 draft, which is supposed to be deeper. This castle talk needs to stop he's gonna be 6'4 at most without shoes and he can't shoot. We need the Melo replacement asap. Hopefully topic can be that guy if we get him.

Some people think we need defense as well.

I get everyone wants a scorer who can shoot, but man look at these games nobody is playing defense for us. Castle can't shoot right now, but who's to say he can't improve his shot down the line. We know he's gonna bring defense and he's going to be a complimentary piece to our 3 scorers Melo/Miller/Bridges. If Mark comes back healthy we now have 2 defenders with that group. Maybe that rubs off on everyone else and the group plays better defense.

Also for as much people talk about scoring, none of these guys are considered great scorers or even great shooters. I'm trying to figure out which prospect gives us great scoring?
MugzZo
Sixth Man
And1: 936

Post#834 » by MugzZo » Sun Mar 31, 2024 4:20 am

JustBuzzin wrote:
MugzZo wrote:Topic is almost must-have. Simply because if he can't play next year...dude experiment done. He will be nothing but a liability that we place false hope in. 2 seasons is bad enough. Melo can't go give topic they keys and go get a high pick in the 25 draft, which is supposed to be deeper. This castle talk needs to stop he's gonna be 6'4 at most without shoes and he can't shoot. We need the Melo replacement asap. Hopefully topic can be that guy if we get him.

Some people think we need defense as well.

I get everyone wants a scorer who can shoot, but man look at these games nobody is playing defense for us. Castle can't shoot right now, but who's to say he can't improve his shot down the line. We know he's gonna bring defense and he's going to be a complimentary piece to our 3 scorers Melo/Miller/Bridges. If Mark comes back healthy we now have 2 defenders with that group. Maybe that rubs off on everyone else and the group plays better defense.

Also for as much people talk about scoring, none of these guys are considered great scorers or even great shooters. I'm trying to figure out which prospect gives us great scoring?
I'm all for a pg that can stay on the floor with high upside. Melo can't. Enter topic. I'm willing to suggest Melo won't play more than 50 games next year. If that happens. Then what? 3 seasons of Melo down the drain with all our hopes in him as the franchise player. Cut this crap loose. Trade him this offseason for whatever decent assets we can get and draft topic and move on. There is also no guarantee miles will be back. We have alot of holes and 2 are potentially gonna be more wide open then a woman's legs in the red light district. But we have people here that say oh Melo just needs this or that. I'm saying it now. He's broken. I'll stand on that hill. Unless we draft top 2. Topic is the best definitive option to move forward with. The sooner we replace Melo the sooner we move toward building a winning team. We can also draft topic and if Melo stays healthy, move him off the ball.

JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 43,361

Post#835 » by JDR720 » Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:17 am

MasterIchiro wrote:...

If Castle went to another school besides UCONN, would you like him as much?

He just scored 2pts on 16% shooting... and his team won by 20. Including a 30-0 run. This UCONN team is loaded, he's basically a role-player.

5th in scoring.
4th in rebounds.
3rd in assists.
5th in steals. 4th in blocks.
2nd to last (among those who play) in 3pt%.

If we're drafting top 5, picking Castle would be a pretty big reach.
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 43,361

Post#836 » by JDR720 » Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:19 am

Topic is interesting, he's sort of like Josh Giddey. Tall, passing PG.
Snidely FC
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,161

Post#837 » by Snidely FC » Sun Mar 31, 2024 2:12 pm

y'all who want Topic because LaMelo is injury prone a reminder Topic just missed 3 months with a knee injury
Snidely FC
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,161

Post#838 » by Snidely FC » Sun Mar 31, 2024 2:23 pm

As regards Ron Holland. Not being in the NCAA tournament he lacks recency bias and is downgraded because people question the quality of the G League, but guys like Kuminga, Jalen Green and Amen Thompson should be starting to put paid to that argument. Each of this year's top prospects has warts, but Holland at age 18 and a 6'8 wing would seem to me to have as much upside as anyone in this draft.
MasterIchiro
RealGM

Post#839 » by MasterIchiro » Sun Mar 31, 2024 3:22 pm

yosemiteben wrote:
MasterIchiro wrote:
yosemiteben wrote:No team in the NBA uses the philosophy of "if you have 2 good shooters, don't add more because too much shooting is bad."

Would you like him less if he also was an elite shooter? It's just a truly wild take to spin him being a bad shooter as a positive.

I don't think you understand that these prospects, all of them, offer talents that come with some limit and you have to prioritize skills that fit the team.
It has been written...
MasterIchiro
RealGM

Post#840 » by MasterIchiro » Sun Mar 31, 2024 3:24 pm

Would I like Castle if he were more like Rozier, a shooter who can't play defense and who hogs the ball, stealing touches from more efficient shooters? Nope.
It has been written...

Return to Charlotte Hornets