ImageImage

FIRE MITCH!

Moderators: yosemiteben, BigSlam, JDR720, Diop, fatlever

Rich4114
RealGM
And1: 4,198

Re: FIRE MITCH! 

Post#121 » by Rich4114 » Tue Jan 9, 2024 10:29 pm

Fire Mitch now, get a new GM in with plenty of time to be ready for the draft and free agency. Cliff is a lame duck and he (and everyone else) knows it. The only thing I would say in terms of firing Cliff now is if there's a candidate out there and available right now you want (like coach Bud) but that wouldn't happen without a new GM first. So really until they finally do the GM thing, nothing is changing.

The bigger concern I have is given we have sleepy lame duck Mitch at the helm, will he sit out this trade deadline like the rest and just let this roster die on the vine? Because you will not see Terry with higher trade value than what he must have right now and there is just no damn way he is a part of our future playoff winning backcourt.
wilson115
Sixth Man
And1: 989

Post#122 » by wilson115 » Thu Jan 11, 2024 4:08 pm

Braggins wrote:I honestly find it a bit troubling/concerning that the new owners haven't fired him (or seemingly anyone for that matter).

I was listening to one of Nate Duncans podcasts the other day (I think the one with Hollinger) and they said it seems like the new regime is basically a shadow MJ regime, which I thought was a good way to describe the situation.

They weren't speculating that MJ still has control or anything like that (who knows though tbh), but that the new owners were basically operating so far exactly the same as you would expect the MJ regime to.

Can you point me to a single report about a former NBA GM or head coach or anyone with a basketball resume advising the new Hornets ownership about the "takeover"? I'd assume someone making that big of an investment would have someone in their ear from the start telling them how it's a workable idea and ready to take the reins as soon as the deal's done. The apparent absence of that and the total inaction while the current regime actively trashes the franchise's prospects is what I find troubling.
MPM
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,720

Post#123 » by MPM » Thu Jan 11, 2024 5:10 pm

But there's been active ownership engagement. Rick Schnall has been playing pickup with J Cole at Spectrum.
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,697

Post#124 » by yosemiteben » Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:06 pm

wilson115 wrote:Can you point me to a single report about a former NBA GM or head coach or anyone with a basketball resume advising the new Hornets ownership about the "takeover"?

I can't think of any example of any owner ever being advised by someone that's not the GM.

Can you?
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 43,355

Post#125 » by JDR720 » Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:33 pm

MPM wrote:But there's been active ownership engagement. Rick Schnall has been playing pickup with J Cole at Spectrum.

I think our hopes lie with him. I don't think Plotkin knows anything about basketball.
Rich4114
RealGM
And1: 4,198

Post#126 » by Rich4114 » Fri Jan 12, 2024 12:58 am

JDR720 wrote:
MPM wrote:But there's been active ownership engagement. Rick Schnall has been playing pickup with J Cole at Spectrum.

I think our hopes lie with him. I don't think Plotkin knows anything about basketball.

Pretty sure Plotkin was just willing to bring enough capital to help get the team but Schnall seems like the one who is more likely to know what he’s doing.
wilson115
Sixth Man
And1: 989

Post#127 » by wilson115 » Sat Jan 13, 2024 2:53 am

yosemiteben wrote:
wilson115 wrote:Can you point me to a single report about a former NBA GM or head coach or anyone with a basketball resume advising the new Hornets ownership about the "takeover"?

I can't think of any example of any owner ever being advised by someone that's not the GM.

Can you?

Joe Lacob when he had Jerry West advising him during his takeover of the Warriors. There's usually some guy in the new owner's retinue who's the defacto incoming GM or other senior role even before the sale comes through.
Snidely FC
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,159

Post#128 » by Snidely FC » Mon Jan 15, 2024 3:10 am

In NY Thibs has always been known as a defensive coach. So Knicks have traded their soft players, Obi Toppin, RJ Barrett, Immanuel Quickley, and replaced them with guys like OG, Hart, DeVincenzo, Grimes. Their players fit their coach's philosophy.

Compare the Hornets. Clifford supposedly a defensive coach. Kupchak stocked the roster with offensive minded finesse players, all soft, almost no defenders. There is a gulf between what the coach wants to do and the players the GM brings in. It's ludicrous. Makes no sense at all.
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#129 » by JDR720 » Mon Jan 15, 2024 12:12 pm

Read on Twitter

Not totally sure where this fits, but we're having a player only meeting. Sticking it in here since this is the fire Mitch and Cliff thread.
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#130 » by JDR720 » Mon Jan 15, 2024 12:16 pm

Somebody do an AI thing of a bunch of guys in full body casts sitting around a meeting table in a hospital. Mark is the blob on the floor.
MasterIchiro
RealGM
And1: 5,371

Post#131 » by MasterIchiro » Thu Feb 8, 2024 7:01 pm

This thread is a real treasure, even for this forum.
It has been written...
Chapelchilla
Bench Warmer
And1: 873

Post#132 » by Chapelchilla » Thu Feb 8, 2024 7:07 pm

MasterIchiro wrote:This thread is a real treasure, even for this forum.

Mitch took a lot of the blame for MJ's cheapness, lack of strategy and the nepotism. Yeah, he made some errors but overall he has left the Hornets in a LOT better shape then when he came in. Bunch of knee jerk reactions in this thread for sure.
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,697

Post#133 » by yosemiteben » Thu Feb 8, 2024 7:09 pm

Chapelchilla wrote:

Mitch took a lot of the blame for MJ's cheapness, lack of strategy and the nepotism. Yeah, he made some errors but overall he has left the Hornets in a LOT better shape then when he came in. Bunch of knee jerk reactions in this thread for sure.

I haven't been as critical as Mitch as some others, but given the complete train wreck that has been our rotation this season, even taking injuries into account, Mitch definitely deserves some blame for how this season has gone.
Braggins
RealGM
And1: 8,155

Post#134 » by Braggins » Thu Feb 8, 2024 7:17 pm

Eh, doing the tear down is the easy part and mostly just requires a willingness to do it. Cho did a great job accumulating assets when he blew up the Charlotte team he inherited, but he completely failed to build anything, so he is considered a failure as GM.

This is looking like a good deadline for Mitch, but its basically like he did a reverse Cho. Failed to build anything first and then did a good tear down right before losing his job. Charlotte had a better winning percentage and more playoff appearances under Cho than Mitch.

Mitch failed in Charlotte even taking this deadline into account. edit: But also legit kudos to him for leaving the next GM in a good position.
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 17,936

Post#135 » by Diop » Fri Feb 9, 2024 12:02 am

he built this piling poo poo platter of trash, yay for tearing it down i guess?

or are you saying this was always part of a masterful 8 year plan???
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,698

Post#136 » by fatlever » Fri Feb 9, 2024 12:41 am

And it was new owners with external advisors leading trade decisions... so yeah, **** you mitch. Lol.

Sent from my SM-G973U using RealGM mobile app
JMAC3
General Manager
And1: 4,223

Post#137 » by JMAC3 » Fri Feb 9, 2024 5:03 am

I have a feeling that the new owners making the trades is being a bit overblown. I mean I’m sure they had a say, but this is making it seem like they were the ones answering and working phones which I highly highly doubt
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,103

Post#138 » by Liver_Pooty » Fri Feb 9, 2024 5:15 am

JMAC3 wrote:I have a feeling that the new owners making the trades is being a bit overblown. I mean I’m sure they had a say, but this is making it seem like they were the ones answering and working phones which I highly highly doubt

Exactly.
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,698

Post#139 » by fatlever » Fri Feb 9, 2024 5:25 am

overblown? possibly.
but we have 6 seasons of knowing how mitch operates as gm. this felt different. maybe it's simply jordan vs new owners being more willing to blow it up. but also acting like mitch gets to be a hero for changing his own diaper is laughable.
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#140 » by JDR720 » Fri Feb 9, 2024 6:23 am

Most of the blame goes on MJ for panic hiring Clifford and not spending on better players. I find it hard to believe that any GM trying to make a playoff team wouldn't spend the MLE when your bench is made up of 2nd rounders or rehire the same guy that got fired the second after you took the job years ago.

But Mitch still gets some of the blame. He totally whiffed on the Kai/Bou/Thor draft. Trading Duran was stupid. That stuff sent us back significantly. He's also struggled to find good players outside of the draft via either trade of free agency.

So, in the end, I'll blame MJ for 75% of it and Mitch for 20% and Cliff for 5%.

Mitch tried to build through the draft, which is what we should do, but had some bad mistakes and couldn't set up a proper team around the good ones.

Cliff is out of his depth as a modern coach, but he's a nice guy and the players like him even though they ignore 99% of what he says.

Our issue is and until proven otherwise will continue to be bad ownership. I hope the new guys are good. Or at least respectable.

Return to Charlotte Hornets