ImageImage

A New Day in Charlotte

Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

Braggins
RealGM
And1: 8,148

Re: A New Day in Charlotte 

Post#101 » by Braggins » Sat Feb 10, 2024 12:23 am

If they aren't bringing over Nnaji they should sign Biyombo imo. Do it anyways if they think Mark is going to miss significant time.
MugzZo
Sixth Man
And1: 906

Post#102 » by MugzZo » Sat Feb 10, 2024 12:45 am

Braggins wrote:If they aren't bringing over Nnaji they should sign Biyombo imo. Do it anyways if they think Mark is going to miss significant time.
Bring him in for sure. What do we have to lose at this point?

Sent from my SM-F936U using RealGM mobile app
KembaWalker
General Manager
And1: 10,738

Post#103 » by KembaWalker » Sat Feb 10, 2024 12:50 am

Kemba/Lin/MKG/Biz/Big Al would probably cook our 2nd line tonight right now
LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,519

Post#104 » by LofJ » Sat Feb 10, 2024 5:30 pm

Crash Wallace in the house!

Read on Twitter
Bassman
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,525

Post#105 » by Bassman » Sat Feb 10, 2024 5:39 pm

LofJ wrote:Crash Wallace in the house!

Read on Twitter

On the Hornet’s website today they have a retrospective on Crash; it’s a good article and really highlights the heart and soul he brought to those teams (CULTURE). Then at the end it mentions him getting something….?

Sounds like he is going to be honored by the team…maybe retire his number?
I continue to wait...and hope...for the return to Hornet's glory.
LofJ
RealGM

Post#106 » by LofJ » Sat Feb 10, 2024 5:44 pm

Bassman wrote:
LofJ wrote:Crash Wallace in the house!

Read on Twitter

On the Hornet’s website today they have a retrospective on Crash; it’s a good article and really highlights the heart and soul he brought to those teams (CULTURE). Then at the end it mentions him getting something….?

Sounds like he is going to be honored by the team…maybe retire his number?

If they're retiring his jersey this team better freaking win the game. We can't send Crash home with a loss.
Hornet Mania
General Manager
And1: 7,407

Post#107 » by Hornet Mania » Sat Feb 10, 2024 10:23 pm

Bassman wrote:
LofJ wrote:Sounds like he is going to be honored by the team…maybe retire his number?

Probably going to give him a placard somewhere in the Spectrum Center concourse like they did a few of the other Hornets legends. Not quite a jersey retirement, but still pretty cool :D
MasterIchiro
RealGM
And1: 5,340

Post#108 » by MasterIchiro » Sun Feb 11, 2024 8:02 pm

I understand because Micic is 30 and the playoff hopes died, but I wouldn't play strictly for tomorrow.

On the one hand, the organization wants Tre Mann to start at PG in LaMelo's absence because his upside and age.

Why not start both new PG? The team can run offense through both and both have played minutes together in practice and observed eachother's games from front row seats. Mann stays, Martin goes to the bench.

Micic
Mann
Miller
Miles
Nick

When LaMelo returns:

Micic
LaMelo
Miller
Miles
Nick

6th man - Mann

I think playing Micic is the best way to develop the core talent in preparation for next season. He's the secret sauce of the roster, replacing the hidden toxin Terry (who's also 30).

I can't decide the more significant upgrade in terms of roster needs.

Micic over Terry for tean offense?

Grant over PJ for team defense?

Plus cap space and 2 lightly protected firsts.

I suspect Micic is going to make a Linsanity run. He's the eye of the storm, and man, a tornado just tore through since they canned Borrego and got hit with injuries top to bottom.

None of it affected Micic. Charlotte is a new opportunity in his eyes despite it feeling like ground zero for some fans.
It has been written...
MugzZo
Sixth Man
And1: 906

Post#109 » by MugzZo » Sun Feb 11, 2024 8:13 pm

I love that optimism and I'm here for it!

Sent from my SM-F936U using RealGM mobile app
Goodecharlotte
Sophomore
And1: 124

Post#110 » by Goodecharlotte » Sun Feb 11, 2024 8:30 pm

I think we'll be a better team without Terry and Micic at pg, Terry for all his hero ball just didn't help the overall offence. With Mann, Bertans and Curry adding to Miller and NSJ we have a pg who now can find the open man to shoot the 3 instead of a contested 3.
As for PJ he's soft and a finesse pf/c, we've needed Williams for a few years now to set the culture of the defense and we need him to be outspoken in the dressing room.
Whoever was responsible for the trades whether it be Mitch or the owners they knocked it out the park.
LofJ
RealGM

Post#111 » by LofJ » Sun Feb 11, 2024 8:43 pm

How pumped would the city of Charlotte be if Steph ever suits up as a Hornet? I don't think a single person would care if he can barely play anymore. We'll cheer for him as if he's still in his MVP caliber prime.

Read on Twitter
Braggins
RealGM
And1: 8,148

Post#112 » by Braggins » Sun Feb 11, 2024 8:48 pm

MasterIchiro wrote:Why not start both new PG? The team can run offense through both and both have played minutes together in practice and observed eachother's games from front row seats. Mann stays, Martin goes to the bench.

Micic
Mann
Miller
Miles
Nick

When LaMelo returns:

Micic
LaMelo
Miller
Miles
Nick

The defense in those lineups is terrible. Miller is the best defender and hes kind of bad right now. Martin needs to start as the point of attack defender if he is healthy. I thought Micic/Martin was going to be the starting back court. I don't hate Mann/Martin for now if they think they need more athleticism and shot self creation from that spot.

With LaMelo healthy I would definitely start Martin with him, though. I hope Micic sticks as the PG2 because he seems like he could be a good mentor to teach LaMelo the finer points of being a PG.
JustBuzzin
Head Coach
And1: 5,500

Post#113 » by JustBuzzin » Sun Feb 11, 2024 9:03 pm

LofJ wrote:How pumped would the city of Charlotte be if Steph ever suits up as a Hornet? I don't think a single person would care if he can barely play anymore. We'll cheer for him as if he's still in his MVP caliber prime.

Read on Twitter

One question.

Steph decides he wants a trade to Charlotte this off-season.

What would be our offer?
MasterIchiro
RealGM

Post#114 » by MasterIchiro » Sun Feb 11, 2024 9:15 pm

Braggins wrote:
MasterIchiro wrote:Why not start both new PG? The team can run offense through both and both have played minutes together in practice and observed eachother's games from front row seats. Mann stays, Martin goes to the bench.

Micic
Mann
Miller
Miles
Nick

When LaMelo returns:

Micic
LaMelo
Miller
Miles
Nick

The defense in those lineups is terrible. Miller is the best defender and hes kind of bad right now. Martin needs to start as the point of attack defender if he is healthy. I thought Micic/Martin was going to be the starting back court. I don't hate Mann/Martin for now if they think they need more athleticism and shot self creation from that spot.

With LaMelo healthy I would definitely start Martin with him, though. I hope Micic sticks as the PG2 because he seems like he could be a good mentor to teach LaMelo the finer points of being a PG.

Nick Smith Jr. exists.

Martin needs to be bench 3 behind Miller.

The way you have it you're reliant on Cody Martin to rescue the defense. It hasn't happened.

Grant is the piece we need over Martin not due to individual defense but for impact on team defense.

My plan preps a group of players who would have Mark Williams as their center, not Nick Richards. They're worlds apart.

Your plan is

Martin-Micic
LaMelo-Mann

No investment in NSJ.

Martin had his time here. And Monk ended up the more impactful asset for team offense for a playoff team. And unlike Grant, Martin has never impacted team defense despite standing out individual at times (also getting cooked others).

I'd go fully healthy

Micic - Mann
Melo - NSJ
Miller - Martin
Miles - Grant
Mark - Grant - Nick

I'm also adding a top-5 pick somewhere in there. But this is already a 10 man rotation. Clifford likes to run 9. Some playoff rotations are 8.

You have Martin overvalued. He's not a core piece for the D any more than Terry for the offense.
It has been written...
LofJ
RealGM

Post#115 » by LofJ » Sun Feb 11, 2024 9:16 pm

JustBuzzin wrote:
LofJ wrote:How pumped would the city of Charlotte be if Steph ever suits up as a Hornet? I don't think a single person would care if he can barely play anymore. We'll cheer for him as if he's still in his MVP caliber prime.

Read on Twitter

One question.

Steph decides he wants a trade to Charlotte this off-season.

What would be our offer?

I don't think we could realistically make the math work. Steph is making $55 million next season. We'd have to gut the roster to meet the salary matching rules.
wilson115
Sixth Man
And1: 968

Post#116 » by wilson115 » Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:36 pm

Hornets 5th toughest schedule after ASB per Tankathon.

Read on Twitter
amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
And1: 9,239

Post#117 » by amcoolio » Sat Feb 24, 2024 12:00 am

The offer is LaMelo and Bertans for Curry. If Curry were 2-3 years younger, I'd think about it, but he's just too old now. It looks insane to trade 22 yo for 35 yo but I think Curry in the east with Miller and Miles and Williams would do some damage for the next few years before he drops off in play. He's still one of the game's best players and we have a better supporting cast IMO
I don't support domestic violence. Thanks Miles
MasterIchiro
RealGM

Post#118 » by MasterIchiro » Sat Feb 24, 2024 12:29 am

Just watched Miles' post-game comments after the win in Utah.

Listen to what he says about Grant Williams (nicknaming him G-Willy) and how those standout qualities fit exactly what the Hornets needed (communication on the court being one of them, physicality etc.).

When I watched Grant Williams play meaningful minutes with the Celtics in high stakes playoff contests, he always looked I surefire winning player.

Starting to feel this was a HR connection.
It has been written...
MasterIchiro
RealGM

Post#119 » by MasterIchiro » Sat Feb 24, 2024 1:23 am

To add,

I don't think it will be too long before we appreciate the criminality in landing a top-2 protected distant 1st round pick on top of this perfect fitting player we have in Charlotte's native son, Grant Williams.

Kupchak boned the Dallas front office like Debbie of the cult classic Debbie Does Dallas.

And Tre Mann looks like he may have a more successful career than Josh Giddey.

How does one acquire Mann, and Micic for that matter using Gordon Hayward?

Tre Mann is going to change opposing defense as a starter here. He does fit with LaMelo on or off ball. The Celtics are using a dual-PG backcourt in Jrue/D. White.
It has been written...
Bassman
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,525

Post#120 » by Bassman » Sat Feb 24, 2024 1:53 pm

MasterIchiro wrote:To add,

I don't think it will be too long before we appreciate the criminality in landing a top-2 protected distant 1st round pick on top of this perfect fitting player we have in Charlotte's native son, Grant Williams.

Kupchak boned the Dallas front office like Debbie of the cult classic Debbie Does Dallas.

And Tre Mann looks like he may have a more successful career than Josh Giddey.

How does one acquire Mann, and Micic for that matter using Gordon Hayward?

Tre Mann is going to change opposing defense as a starter here. He does fit with LaMelo on or off ball. The Celtics are using a dual-PG backcourt in Jrue/D. White.

Indeed the return on those trades appears to be payback for all the disasters stacked previously. Particularly the Hayward deal…just bizarre. Agree on Mann…has potential to be THE answer next to Melo. Williams such a key fit. Micic is a fine bonus…so skilled. Seth is the icing on the cake, with Bert adding sprinkles on top.
I continue to wait...and hope...for the return to Hornet's glory.

Return to Charlotte Hornets