ImageImage

A New Day in Charlotte

Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

Robot Rock
Starter
And1: 939

Re: A New Day in Charlotte 

Post#61 » by Robot Rock » Sat Feb 3, 2024 1:37 am

Don't sell stupid-low on Bridges. Ask the Panthers how trading away good players for future busts works out.
JMAC3
General Manager
And1: 4,164

Post#62 » by JMAC3 » Sun Feb 4, 2024 5:00 pm

Let me walk out a scenario.
Let's say Hornets move Bridges for 2nds and no meaningful longterm salary, same as Nick Richards.
Then we assume Frank, Ish, Bouk, Thor are all let go.

We would only have LaMelo, #5, Miller, PJ, Mark, Martin, Nick, Bryce. That is 8 guys with the only guy over 22 yrs old as PJ.

50 million in FA. If you aren't going to throw real money at anyone over 30 years old that leaves RFA of Claxton, Toppin, Pat Williams, Saddiq Bey, Okoro. UFA Harteinstein, Gary Trent, Melton, Grayson Allen, Bruce Brown, Okogie, Fultz, Tyus Jones.

Are any of these guys better than PJ and Miles? I would say Claxton but Nets are matching whatever we offer there.

Hard to really sell me that spending 50 million in FA which will still result in a bottom 3 payroll is really a great longterm win.
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
Walt Cronkite
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 558

Post#63 » by Walt Cronkite » Tue Feb 6, 2024 8:17 pm

From Hollinger on The Athletic: "Also, the hot rumor in league circles is that the Hornets’ new ownership will make a change in the front office after the trade deadline, so that’s worth keeping an eye on as well."
LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,519

Post#64 » by LofJ » Tue Feb 6, 2024 8:33 pm

Walt Cronkite wrote:From Hollinger on The Athletic: "Also, the hot rumor in league circles is that the Hornets’ new ownership will make a change in the front office after the trade deadline, so that’s worth keeping an eye on as well."

SWedd523
RealGM
And1: 5,172

Post#65 » by SWedd523 » Tue Feb 6, 2024 8:45 pm

Walt Cronkite wrote:From Hollinger on The Athletic: "Also, the hot rumor in league circles is that the Hornets’ new ownership will make a change in the front office after the trade deadline, so that’s worth keeping an eye on as well."

How very Hornets to wait until after the deadline to do something
amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
And1: 9,241

Post#66 » by amcoolio » Tue Feb 6, 2024 8:46 pm

I think Mitch wants to retire. I don't think he's being forced out.

He's helping them get more assets before the deadline, and will bow out.
I don't support domestic violence. Thanks Miles
JMAC3
General Manager

Post#67 » by JMAC3 » Tue Feb 6, 2024 8:55 pm

amcoolio wrote:I think Mitch wants to retire. I don't think he's being forced out.

He's helping them get more assets before the deadline, and will bow out.

I would put money on him taking some vp role and still having like 20% say in large decisions but the new GM be a younger guy that we have been linked to.
Big Board
Rich4114
RealGM
And1: 4,174

Post#68 » by Rich4114 » Tue Feb 6, 2024 10:43 pm

We just need to get out of the MJ/Mitch decisions business. New owners would be smart to begin installing new people up and down the organization as I understand it to be FULL of nepotism. So the best thing to do would be hire a new GM externally who can build his own staff top to bottom. There is almost a blank slate to work with potentially. If Mitch bows out this weekend, that is ideal and gives us a head start on hiring the next guy giving them time to evaluate our own players + prep for free agency and the draft. Otherwise, I think having a new GM in place right before the draft will mean we're depending on existing staff almost 100% and that means more MJ decisions.
Bassman
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,525

Post#69 » by Bassman » Tue Feb 6, 2024 11:01 pm

Rich4114 wrote:We just need to get out of the MJ/Mitch decisions business. New owners would be smart to begin installing new people up and down the organization as I understand it to be FULL of nepotism. So the best thing to do would be hire a new GM externally who can build his own staff top to bottom. There is almost a blank slate to work with potentially. If Mitch bows out this weekend, that is ideal and gives us a head start on hiring the next guy giving them time to evaluate our own players + prep for free agency and the draft. Otherwise, I think having a new GM in place right before the draft will mean we're depending on existing staff almost 100% and that means more MJ decisions.

If these owners have any sense, they will insist on approving any moves. Perhaps they are secretly discussing strategy with their own experts (perhaps even their replacement GM candidates who may not even know they are candidates). Don’t depend on the old cabal and sleepy Mitch to make these critical deals just before leaving.
I continue to wait...and hope...for the return to Hornet's glory.
JMAC3
General Manager

Post#70 » by JMAC3 » Wed Feb 7, 2024 3:34 pm

Bassman wrote:
Rich4114 wrote:We just need to get out of the MJ/Mitch decisions business. New owners would be smart to begin installing new people up and down the organization as I understand it to be FULL of nepotism. So the best thing to do would be hire a new GM externally who can build his own staff top to bottom. There is almost a blank slate to work with potentially. If Mitch bows out this weekend, that is ideal and gives us a head start on hiring the next guy giving them time to evaluate our own players + prep for free agency and the draft. Otherwise, I think having a new GM in place right before the draft will mean we're depending on existing staff almost 100% and that means more MJ decisions.

If these owners have any sense, they will insist on approving any moves. Perhaps they are secretly discussing strategy with their own experts (perhaps even their replacement GM candidates who may not even know they are candidates). Don’t depend on the old cabal and sleepy Mitch to make these critical deals just before leaving.

I really don't have any issues with Mitch having 20% vote in what the organization does once we have a new GM. Mitch literally just put his balls on the table and drafted Brandon Miller. He has been in NBA front offices since 1986, worked under Jerry West. I have no issues with him being able to provide insight to a first time GM on different large decisions.

Now if the GM wants to cut Frank and sign a Gleague guy go do it. If the new GM wants to add certain guys to the summer league roster. Do it. Basically all the stuff Mitch is awful at. But yeah if we are trying to trade multiple firsts for a player, then having Mitch there to give him insight isn't worst thing in world. Also, Mitch has a ton of relationships in the league that wouldn't be bad to carry over and give our new GM a bit more credibility with agents etc...

Don't get me wrong the new GM would be the main dude but having a mentor wouldn't be crazy structure for a few years.
Big Board
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,656

Post#71 » by yosemiteben » Thu Feb 8, 2024 6:36 pm

Time for the sleepy Mitch narratives to go. I think he made bad strategic decisions last summer, but he's not some absentee GM as this deadline proves.

Traded away Terry, Gordo, PJ, and 2 2nds and netted 2 2027 1sts (1 unprotected, 1 top 2 protected), Mann, Micic, Grant Williams, Curry and salary in Bertans that can be used in future deals (jury is out on what happens with Lowry). Roster will continue to be reshuffled given the imbalance of inbound vs. outbound players. Mitch owned that this roster balance and the vets on the roster didn't make sense for where we wanted to go and course corrected. I'm pretty happy with that decision and the value we got in the process.

No major decisions made that will lock us into a specific path this summer. We still have the ability to S&T Miles this summer if contract negotiations don't go favorably. I suspect that they have already been had and we know the amount he's going to resign for this summer.
amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
And1: 9,241

Post#72 » by amcoolio » Thu Feb 8, 2024 6:37 pm

Only one bad contract on the team now in Grant Williams. But the 2027 pick is worth the contract I think.

Great job, Mitch.
I don't support domestic violence. Thanks Miles
MugzZo
Sixth Man
And1: 906

Post#73 » by MugzZo » Thu Feb 8, 2024 6:47 pm

Isn't Williams contract similar to pj? Plus the first. I mean I've been vocal in the past about trading pj. I'm very happy about this trade. Grant plays d and you know what you're getting from him instead of Washington's spastic play. That 2027 draft with 3 1sts is looking good moving forward.

Sent from my SM-F936U using RealGM mobile app
MugzZo
Sixth Man
And1: 906

Post#74 » by MugzZo » Thu Feb 8, 2024 6:52 pm

Mann and Williams are pur two biggest pieces in all of this other than the 1st. Both are pros not g league junk. Micic is a good throw in aswell. I like this deadline. Hopefully another trade is in order. I'd love to get Issac but it won't happen. Fingers crossed.

Sent from my SM-F936U using RealGM mobile app
Chapelchilla
Bench Warmer
And1: 867

Post#75 » by Chapelchilla » Thu Feb 8, 2024 7:04 pm

The salary cap implications of having 4 picks in the 2027 and or 28 drafts are going to be huge too. Melo made his $, Miller will need an extension, probably Mark/Miles as well and then hopefully the 2024 pick are all gonna be expensive.

Mitch has done a good job course correcting and drafting talent (most years, lol). Now we need a change in coaches, training staff and culture. I hope he at least gives advice on the next pick before he retires.
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,624

Post#76 » by fatlever » Thu Feb 8, 2024 7:19 pm

Mitch is having to blow up the roster today that he put together because he failed miserably at putting a competent roster together in the first place. I mean, yes he's doing a good job of blowing up the roster and getting something in return for the garbage he spent 6 years putting together, so yay?

Sent from my SM-G973U using RealGM mobile app
JMAC3
General Manager

Post#77 » by JMAC3 » Thu Feb 8, 2024 7:22 pm

I would assume we buyout Lowry, cut Bouk and Frank.
Starters until Melo and Mark come back likely are...

Micic- Martin-Miler-Miles-Mick (nick).
Mann-Nsj-Bryce-Grant-Thor off the bench.

Maybe Curry can find his rhythm, but he has been pretty bad this year.
Big Board
KembaWalker
General Manager
And1: 10,747

Post#78 » by KembaWalker » Thu Feb 8, 2024 7:23 pm

fatlever wrote:Mitch is having to blow up the roster today that he put together because he failed miserably at putting a competent roster together in the first place. I mean, yes he's doing a good job of blowing up the roster and getting something in return for the garbage he spent 6 years putting together, so yay?

Sent from my SM-G973U using RealGM mobile app

He might have **** on our floor but at least he has the decency to clean it up before he leaves. Thats better treatment than us Charlotte sports fans are used to
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,656

Post#79 » by yosemiteben » Thu Feb 8, 2024 7:25 pm

Teeing up the next GM to do a Steph and Lonzo trade so we can change the team name to the Curry Balls.
Braggins
RealGM
And1: 8,148

Post#80 » by Braggins » Thu Feb 8, 2024 7:34 pm

I don't feel good about Miles having more opportunity to **** them over, but that is such a tricky situation to deal with that its hard to be too critical without knowing what deals were actually on the table (Miles too good to trade without getting a real asset in return).

Hopefully he doesn't burn them again...

Return to Charlotte Hornets