ImageImage

So who do you want as HC for next season?

Moderators: yosemiteben, BigSlam, JDR720, Diop, fatlever

JustBuzzin
General Manager
And1: 6,308

Re: So who do you want as HC for next season? 

Post#81 » by JustBuzzin » Sun Mar 3, 2024 7:39 pm

I see a lot of people around the league talk highly of Sam Cassell.

I think he has emerged as my 2nd option after Bud.
MugzZo
Sixth Man
And1: 917

Post#82 » by MugzZo » Sun Mar 3, 2024 9:35 pm

JustBuzzin wrote:I see a lot of people around the league talk highly of Sam Cassell.

I think he has emerged as my 2nd option after Bud.
"The Head" my dad's old nickname for him. He's interesting. He's another guy I wouldn't be mad at of he was to be our coach. Bud is number 1 for me but after Reddick, I wouldn't mind having the head on our side line. He's a winner and knows how an offense should run. He was an awesome player who I loved watching growing up.

Sent from my SM-F936U using RealGM mobile app
MasterIchiro
RealGM
And1: 5,352

Post#83 » by MasterIchiro » Mon Mar 4, 2024 2:29 am

Bud. He's a player's coach who brings a track record of recent success.

He coached the Hawks when the current Hornets owners were there.

And I think Schlenk could still qualify as GM under Peterson as the veteran bringing experience to the front office.

Despite trading the pick that became Luka, his Trae-centric Hawks scorched their way to an ECF.

I wouldn't mind a package deal. Peterson started as a scout, so I feel good about him having the final say over Schlenk.

All 3 worked together in Atlanta, I believe.
It has been written...
MasterIchiro
RealGM
And1: 5,352

Post#84 » by MasterIchiro » Mon Mar 4, 2024 2:35 am

Bud would bring an entourage. Consider the Lakers hired his lead assistant as Head Coach with LeBron as franchise face.

One of the biggest limitations on JB's development was the absence of infrastructure. All staff and development are entry-level types.

We see how veteran teams can beat teams with more talent. I think coaching works similarly. Not to say all older coaches are better, but experience top-to-bottom on a roster and throughout an org translates to winning.
It has been written...
EmpireFalls
Starter
And1: 3,453

Post#85 » by EmpireFalls » Mon Mar 4, 2024 3:22 am

Charles Lee intrigues me
lmcguir15
Freshman
And1: 61

Post#86 » by lmcguir15 » Mon Mar 4, 2024 1:49 pm

MasterIchiro wrote:Bud would bring an entourage. Consider the Lakers hired his lead assistant as Head Coach with LeBron as franchise face.

One of the biggest limitations on JB's development was the absence of infrastructure. All staff and development are entry-level types.

We see how veteran teams can beat teams with more talent. I think coaching works similarly. Not to say all older coaches are better, but experience top-to-bottom on a roster and throughout an org translates to winning.

What's more than Bud bringing an entourage, Bud brings expectations. If you hire a never-before-head-coach your expectations are, hey, we might not be good the first year but its a building process. We've had enough of the better days are ahead. Bud would signal better days are here, now.

Having expectations is a good thing. It changes your mindset in free agency and the trade market and in my best Matt Damon impersonation, fortune favors the bold.
"It's true, you can't lose what you don't put in the middle. But you can't win very much either."
Rich4114
RealGM
And1: 4,192

Post#87 » by Rich4114 » Thu Mar 7, 2024 4:01 pm

Sign me up for Bud. All signs are pointing to that route too. It's actually amazing he's even available and it's only because the Bucks made an emotional decision just a few seasons after he won a championship. The Hawks connections with Peterson and Schnall, the situation, everything is just so perfectly aligned for Bud to come in here and lead. He comes from the Papovich tree which is why JB was targeted to begin with. There are certainly some interesting assistants and other former HC's out there but my first three choices are Bud, Bud and Bud.
LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,533

Post#88 » by LofJ » Thu Mar 7, 2024 4:53 pm

Rich4114 wrote:Sign me up for Bud. All signs are pointing to that route too. It's actually amazing he's even available and it's only because the Bucks made an emotional decision just a few seasons after he won a championship. The Hawks connections with Peterson and Schnall, the situation, everything is just so perfectly aligned for Bud to come in here and lead. He comes from the Papovich tree which is why JB was targeted to begin with. There are certainly some interesting assistants and other former HC's out there but my first three choices are Bud, Bud and Bud.

If Popovich was retiring this year I think Budenholzer would jump at the chance to take over for his old boss. But Pop just got a huge extension to coach 5 more years last summer. So I agree we have a good shot at bringing him to Charlotte. Peterson and ownership just need to go out and get it done.
JustBuzzin
General Manager
And1: 6,308

Post#89 » by JustBuzzin » Thu Mar 7, 2024 6:07 pm

I have narrowed my top 3 HCs in order Bud/Cassell/JJ Redick
Rich4114
RealGM

Post#90 » by Rich4114 » Thu Mar 7, 2024 6:09 pm

JustBuzzin wrote:I have narrowed my top 3 HCs in order Bud/Cassell/JJ Redick

If we were going the unproven assistant route again (which I don't think we should), I'd be super interested in Chris Quinn. The Alien is a decent option too though.
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,693

Post#91 » by fatlever » Thu Mar 7, 2024 9:01 pm

I'm still very skeptical bud will take a rebuilding job. Teams like mavs will probably be looking for a coach in the summer.

Sent from my SM-G973U using RealGM mobile app
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 43,333

Post#92 » by JDR720 » Thu Mar 7, 2024 9:17 pm

Bud is going to Dallas, Lakers or another contending level team.

Definitely don't want anything to do with Redick. He's a TV character.
Rich4114
RealGM

Post#93 » by Rich4114 » Fri Mar 8, 2024 3:39 pm

JDR720 wrote:Bud is going to Dallas, Lakers or another contending level team.

Definitely don't want anything to do with Redick. He's a TV character.

Assuming they move on as soon as the season ends, those teams will be in the playoffs and we won't. We'd be able to interview and hire him before they even made a coaching move if leadership wanted him. If they wait until after the playoffs and interview playoff coaches who got fired or assistants, then we'd have competition.

Return to Charlotte Hornets