ImageImage

So who do you want as HC for next season?

Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

JustBuzzin
General Manager
And1: 6,069

So who do you want as HC for next season? 

Post#1 » by JustBuzzin » Tue Feb 6, 2024 3:54 am

It's pretty obvious we are going in a different direction starting next season. We have a bright young rookie who is showing real potential as a future superstar in Brandon Miller. We have another potential superstar in LaMelo if he can stay healthy. Then we have a likely top 5 draft pick and potential 50+ mil in cap space.

Not sure about you but this thing is set up for the next HC to have a major turnaround if we can just keep LaMelo and Mark healthy.

Saying that I'm pretty sure the emergence of Brandon Miller has made this position a lot more attractive. Im sure we will be at the top of the HC's list simply because we are set up to have a huge turnaround with the assets we have available with young talent, cap space, and a top 5 pick.

Who do you want as next HC of the Charlotte Hornets?
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 43,287

Re: So who do you want as HC for next season? 

Post#2 » by JDR720 » Tue Feb 6, 2024 4:04 am

I hear James Borrego is available.
JMAC3
General Manager
And1: 4,199

Post#3 » by JMAC3 » Tue Feb 6, 2024 4:16 am

You would legit think Borrego was Mark Daignut leading the Thunder to the 2 seed the way he gets swooned over. Dude is an assistant coach on the 7 seed in the West. Do you really think he is some coaching superstar that is going to get hired and be a playoff coach year in and year out?

Because if not then who cares.
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
KingCat
Sixth Man
And1: 831

Post#4 » by KingCat » Tue Feb 6, 2024 4:24 am

We are getting someone no one here has ever heard of.
Your Charlotte Hornets! We’ll eventually get something right;right?
Snidely FC
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,146

Post#5 » by Snidely FC » Tue Feb 6, 2024 2:21 pm

Jerry Stackhouse (Vanderbilt, Head Coach)
Kevin Ollie (Nets Assistant)
Andre Miller (Nuggets G League Head Coach)
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,561

Post#6 » by HornetJail » Tue Feb 6, 2024 2:31 pm

Give me Budenholzer. He's turned around two floundering, underachiever teams into solid playoff teams, has a connection with our owner, and would without hesitation be the best coach we've had post Bobcats expansion. He's not perfect but I'd be thrilled with that.
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
bravor
Starter
And1: 738

Post#7 » by bravor » Tue Feb 6, 2024 2:31 pm

Well it's not like it works for Billups (unfortunately, i like this guy)

Since i like gambling a bit, why not Becky Hammons ? That could help boosting Hornet's image and she seems to be a skillful coach (not talking about the wnba stuff, talking about the spurs's time on the bench).
Maybe players would grow up faster with a woman as their hc unless respect is a lost thing here.
Rich4114
RealGM
And1: 4,184

Post#8 » by Rich4114 » Tue Feb 6, 2024 2:54 pm

JMAC3 wrote:You would legit think Borrego was Mark Daignut leading the Thunder to the 2 seed the way he gets swooned over. Dude is an assistant coach on the 7 seed in the West. Do you really think he is some coaching superstar that is going to get hired and be a playoff coach year in and year out?

It's like reverse white knight syndrome. He was sandwiched in between two pitiful eras of Steve Clifford and we won 43 games one time so he looks like the savior. We aren't hiring him back, but he probably learned a lot from his experience here and in NOLA. I bet he's a better coach when he does get another chance.
Rich4114
RealGM

Post#9 » by Rich4114 » Tue Feb 6, 2024 2:55 pm

HornetJail wrote:Give me Budenholzer. He's turned around two floundering, underachiever teams into solid playoff teams, has a connection with our owner, and would without hesitation be the best coach we've had post Bobcats expansion. He's not perfect but I'd be thrilled with that.

Easily my top choice. Second is Quinn.
JMAC3
General Manager

Post#10 » by JMAC3 » Tue Feb 6, 2024 3:01 pm

Rich4114 wrote:
JMAC3 wrote:You would legit think Borrego was Mark Daignut leading the Thunder to the 2 seed the way he gets swooned over. Dude is an assistant coach on the 7 seed in the West. Do you really think he is some coaching superstar that is going to get hired and be a playoff coach year in and year out?

It's like reverse white knight syndrome. He was sandwiched in between two pitiful eras of Steve Clifford and we won 43 games one time so he looks like the savior. We aren't hiring him back, but he probably learned a lot from his experience here and in NOLA. I bet he's a better coach when he does get another chance.

This is like saying Panthers should have brought back Ron Rivera because he was better than Rhule and Reich.
Big Board
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,561

Post#11 » by HornetJail » Tue Feb 6, 2024 3:01 pm

We only think fondly of the Borrego years because he took over for and was replaced by an absolutely putrid coach. Cliff is completely lost in the modern era of basketball
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
JustBuzzin
General Manager

Post#12 » by JustBuzzin » Tue Feb 6, 2024 3:40 pm

bravor wrote:Well it's not like it works for Billups (unfortunately, i like this guy)

Since i like gambling a bit, why not Becky Hammons ? That could help boosting Hornet's image and she seems to be a skillful coach (not talking about the wnba stuff, talking about the spurs's time on the bench).
Maybe players would grow up faster with a woman as their hc unless respect is a lost thing here.

Becky Hammon sounds like a terrific idea. Not only would it look good for us, but it gets the Nat'l audience attention. They will tune in to see if this woman can actually coach at the highest level. If she leads us to the playoffs it could open up doors for women coaching in the NBA in the future.
SWedd523
RealGM
And1: 5,188

Post#13 » by SWedd523 » Tue Feb 6, 2024 5:18 pm

I'm not for hiring someone for identity reasons. This team needs so much help they can't afford to get cute with important things like coaching staff.

If she's the best on merit then cool
Rich4114
RealGM

Post#14 » by Rich4114 » Tue Feb 6, 2024 5:27 pm

A woman coaching Miles Bridges sure is a story lol
JustBuzzin
General Manager

Post#15 » by JustBuzzin » Tue Feb 6, 2024 5:37 pm

SWedd523 wrote:I'm not for hiring someone for identity reasons. This team needs so much help they can't afford to get cute with important things like coaching staff.

If she's the best on merit then cool

She won a championship as a HC in the WNBA. I think she could be a serious candidate.
JMAC3
General Manager

Post#16 » by JMAC3 » Tue Feb 6, 2024 5:40 pm

Sam Cassell or Charles Lee are probably the 2 hot names that haven't been head coaches yet.
Big Board
JMAC3
General Manager

Post#17 » by JMAC3 » Tue Feb 6, 2024 5:42 pm

JMAC3 wrote:Sam Cassell or Charles Lee are probably the 2 hot names that haven't been head coaches yet.

Both currently with Boston, been with Milwaukee and Philly in past. Have seen what it takes to win in the league.
Big Board
SWedd523
RealGM
And1: 5,188

Post#18 » by SWedd523 » Tue Feb 6, 2024 5:49 pm

I want Chris Quinn. NBA experience as a player, decade of coaching experience, still a young coach but has been with Spoelstra the entire time so hopefully he can get a culture developed and can give Melo some PG viewpoints
LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,524

Post#19 » by LofJ » Tue Feb 6, 2024 5:55 pm

SWedd523 wrote:I want Chris Quinn. NBA experience as a player, decade of coaching experience, still a young coach but has been with Spoelstra the entire time so hopefully he can get a culture developed and can give Melo some PG viewpoints

+1 to this idea

If we can't get Budenholzer I really like the idea of going all in on Quinn. A former point guard that made a career as an undrafted player AND he's been studying under Spoelstra for over a decade? Sign me up, if we don't make him a HC some other team will in the near future.
JMAC3
General Manager

Post#20 » by JMAC3 » Tue Feb 6, 2024 5:59 pm

SWedd523 wrote:I want Chris Quinn. NBA experience as a player, decade of coaching experience, still a young coach but has been with Spoelstra the entire time so hopefully he can get a culture developed and can give Melo some PG viewpoints

He wouldn't be bad, but I prefer someone that has been in multiple franchises to someone who has really only seen 1 coach do it.

He is probably in my top 5 though, so wouldn't be mad.
Big Board

Return to Charlotte Hornets