JMAC3
RealGM
And1: 4,258

Re: Fake Trade Thread #6 

Post#281 » by JMAC3 » Tue May 7, 2024 3:30 pm

Rich4114 wrote:
JMAC3 wrote:
amcoolio wrote:
Comeon man, last draft is way ahead of this draft. Miller, Scoot, Amen, Asaur, and Black would all be the #1 pick in this draft. You didn't have anyone saying last draft was bad.

This draft has some intriguing high end potential, but the potential of each pick panning out is very low. It's basically gambling. I say 2 out of the 8 end up better than Deni year 3, and we have no idea which 2 of those are. 2014 draft is a good comp. Much, much more likely that Holland is a Ben McLemore level NBA player than a Mikal Bridges level, for example

I mean I can pull up the conversations of people saying Miller was going to average 7 ppg, would spend half the year in the Gleague, how if we had Kelly Oubre Miller wouldn't play at all... so yeah I think in general our fan base still doesn't understand the difference between picking in the top 3 vs picking 9-12. If we pick inside the top 5 whoever we get will play a good bit as a rookie.

Feel like there is some assumption that this year draft is like picking 10-15 it is so bad... when in reality I think it is pretty much the same as most once you reach the 3rd or 4th pick. There is just no Wemby, Zion, Cade etc... but still going to be allstars, starters found in the lottery at probably close to the same rate.

I think what this debate comes down to is known commodity vs potential. And I also think the issue with this draft is it's being called a historically bad draft, so the chances of hitting on potential in THIS draft is pretty low. But I get it, hard to sell anyone on a chance at a hit in exchange for a solid role player/starter.

But if you are playing the odds, if you combine this teams track record of choosing the right prospect + the reputation this draft class has... the odds of landing a difference maker are pretty low - historically speaking.

If adding another solid role player or starter to the team was our biggest issue then I would be more for it, but Melo-Miller-Deni-Miles-Mark is probably still a team that is rooting to be a playin team assuming we are fully healthy. Unless Miller or Melo become a top 20 player.

The Sacramento Kings have two top 25 players, a 6th man of the year candidate, a knockdown shooter in a rookie contract and a solid Vet in their starting lineup and didn't make the playoffs. We need more top end talent to actually compete.

Nuggets top 3 player, top 20 player. Great role players.
Wolves top 15 player, two more top 30 players. Great role players.
Thunder top 10 player, a top 30 player, top 50 player. Great role players.
Mavs top 3 player, top 20 player. Great role players.
Celtics, top 5 player, top 25 player. Awesome role players.
Knicks, top 15 player. Awesome role players.
Cavs top 15 player
Pacers- Would have lost to healthy Bucks team with a top 3 player.

Idk if anyone in this draft can be a top 15 player, but the NBA is too good to not swing when you have a shot at the best player in a draft class. A very good chance the best player in this class goes like 4th too.
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
JustBuzzin
General Manager
And1: 6,565

Post#282 » by JustBuzzin » Tue May 7, 2024 6:17 pm

You guys think Jimmy Butler worth pursuing?

Another vet who could help change the culture. Sure he's old, but he gets us to the playoffs and leads the younger guys like Melo/Miller.
amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
And1: 9,307

Post#283 » by amcoolio » Tue May 7, 2024 6:25 pm

JustBuzzin wrote:You guys think Jimmy Butler worth pursuing?

Another vet who could help change the culture. Sure he's old, but he gets us to the playoffs and leads the younger guys like Melo/Miller.

Nope, Miami is getting rid of him for a reason

I am still on board for throwing our picks in for another star though, but preferably someone under 30
I don't support domestic violence. Thanks Miles
JustBuzzin
General Manager

Post#284 » by JustBuzzin » Tue May 7, 2024 6:38 pm

amcoolio wrote:
JustBuzzin wrote:You guys think Jimmy Butler worth pursuing?

Nope, Miami is getting rid of him for a reason

I am still on board for throwing our picks in for another star though, but preferably someone under 30

Yeah we probably need to wait for the right star. Jimmy makes us a playoff team but he doesn't have much longer playing at a high level.
JustBuzzin
General Manager

Post#285 » by JustBuzzin » Wed May 8, 2024 6:22 am

Will be interesting to see if they still have interest in Brandon Ingram this off-season. I know we were discussing a trade for him last off-season. Hornets reportedly wanted Ingram over Zion.

If we can't bring Miles Bridges back then Ingram trade as a backup plan doesn't sound to bad.
Bassman
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,556

Post#286 » by Bassman » Sun May 12, 2024 1:11 am

JustBuzzin wrote:Will be interesting to see if they still have interest in Brandon Ingram this off-season. I know we were discussing a trade for him last off-season. Hornets reportedly wanted Ingram over Zion.

If we can't bring Miles Bridges back then Ingram trade as a backup plan doesn't sound to bad.

Not sure I’d want Ingram at his price point, unless it’s part of a Miles sign and trade. Won’t do Miles AND a trade for Ingram…no other assets they or we would send, and they might not want Bridges there as a SF. But, he could be effective in that role with Zion, and help fill in at the 4 when needed.
I continue to wait...and hope...for the return to Hornet's glory.
Rich4114
RealGM
And1: 4,199

Post#287 » by Rich4114 » Mon May 13, 2024 1:45 pm

btw now that we have the 6th pick, I'm even more on board to trade it. Package for Ingram would be interesting if it can be built around draft capital. I'd still take Zion over Ingram even with the injury history though.
amcoolio

Post#288 » by amcoolio » Tue May 14, 2024 2:50 am

It's too bad Miles isn't under contract. He would probably get #1 or #3 or #5 overall in this draft. Might as well start fresh at this point
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,585

Post#289 » by HornetJail » Tue May 14, 2024 3:02 am

amcoolio wrote:It's too bad Miles isn't under contract. He would probably get #1 or #3 or #5 overall in this draft. Might as well start fresh at this point

not after the what he did... and to be honest he was pretty underwhelming this season anyway. Not to say he wouldn't fetch some value if under contract, but that value will be forever diminished by the severity of his crime.
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
amcoolio

Post#290 » by amcoolio » Tue May 14, 2024 3:06 am

HornetJail wrote:
amcoolio wrote:It's too bad Miles isn't under contract. He would probably get #1 or #3 or #5 overall in this draft. Might as well start fresh at this point

not after the what he did... and to be honest he was pretty underwhelming this season anyway. Not to say he wouldn't fetch some value if under contract, but that value will be forever diminished by the severity of his crime.

This draft is valued so incredibly low that Houston or Detroit would absolutely take Miles if he was on a good contract. Like I don't think Houston can even get a player of Cam Thomas's value at 3.
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 17,950

Post#291 » by Diop » Tue May 14, 2024 3:19 am

Read on Twitter

Jazz might consider a sign n trade, doubt Detroit will they have plenty of room.

So I think Charlotte have to sign him outright. Could consider sign n trade for John Collins, but Ainge will want more just because he always does.
JustBuzzin
General Manager

Post#292 » by JustBuzzin » Tue May 14, 2024 3:36 am

Diop wrote:
Read on Twitter

Jazz might consider a sign n trade, doubt Detroit will they have plenty of room.

So I think Charlotte have to sign him outright. Could consider sign n trade for John Collins, but Ainge will want more just because he always does.

I honestly would do Bridges for Collins straight up. At least we get a legit pf. Miles is a better player, but he's a tweener and doesn't have a real position. He's undersized for a pf and doesn't have the skillset to be a true fulltime wing.
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 17,950

Post#293 » by Diop » Tue May 14, 2024 3:50 am

Marks health makes a big difference to me, Miles fits well next to the big fella, while I think Collins plays better as THE big man on the floor
wilson115
Sixth Man
And1: 997

Post#294 » by wilson115 » Tue May 14, 2024 3:54 am

Diop wrote:Jazz might consider a sign n trade, doubt Detroit will they have plenty of room.

Miles and Klutch will want the bump from our Bird rights. Is Isaiah Stewart a good return? $60M/4 years kicking in next season.
amcoolio

Post#295 » by amcoolio » Tue May 14, 2024 4:02 am

wilson115 wrote:
Diop wrote:Jazz might consider a sign n trade, doubt Detroit will they have plenty of room.

Miles and Klutch will want the bump from our Bird rights. Is Isaiah Stewart a good return? $60M/4 years kicking in next season.

Stewart and Grant Williams are nearly identical, don't need two of the same player
wilson115
Sixth Man
And1: 997

Post#296 » by wilson115 » Tue May 14, 2024 8:14 am

amcoolio wrote:
wilson115 wrote:

Stewart and Grant Williams are nearly identical, don't need two of the same player

They're both bruisers, but Stew's much bigger (9' standing reach vs. 8'8" GW, 7'5" wingspan vs. 6'10" GW) although still undersized at center. There's overlap but I think he'd at least be insurance in case/when Grant spends time on the IL the way he plays.

Spoiler:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
bravor
Starter
And1: 745

Post#297 » by bravor » Tue May 14, 2024 1:11 pm

Tillman would come cheaper and is pretty much the perfect big rotation on a cheap contract. He's FA and no way Celtics will overpay to keep him (not saying hornets should, but he should come cheaper than any fancy option).
MasterIchiro
RealGM
And1: 5,397

Post#298 » by MasterIchiro » Tue May 14, 2024 10:05 pm

Hornets remove protections on 2024 lottery protected pick owed Spurs (pick 6) + Bertans (only 5 million guaranteed) plus Micic (mentor to fellow Serbian Nikola Topic selected 4) for Keldon Johnson + pick 8 (Spurs via Raptors).

Spurs walk away with Topic (4) and Castle (6).

Hornets walk away with Keldon Johnson + 8 and regain control of all future 1st round picks, positioning them to shop at the deadline 6 first round picks (4 Hornets, 1 Heat, 1 Mavs) if Charlotte is in the playoff hunt.

Who do you take 8 if:

1- Sarr
2 - Risacher
3 - Clingan
4 - Topic
5 - Buzelis
6 - Castle
7 - Holland

Would you trade pick 6 to slide back 2 slots, free up all future picks and add Keldon Johnson to the roster?
It has been written...
JMAC3
RealGM
And1: 4,258

Post#299 » by JMAC3 » Tue May 14, 2024 10:10 pm

Atlanta could look to dump Capela as an expiring to dodge tax if they take Sarr. Just in terms of backup plans if Mark is still coming along slowly I would consider it.
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
JustBuzzin
General Manager

Post#300 » by JustBuzzin » Tue May 14, 2024 10:30 pm

JMAC3 wrote:Atlanta could look to dump Capela as an expiring to dodge tax if they take Sarr. Just in terms of backup plans if Mark is still coming along slowly I would consider it.

I would be cool with that.

Return to Charlotte Hornets