ImageImage

Fake Trade Thread #6

Moderators: yosemiteben, BigSlam, JDR720, Diop, fatlever

LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,538

Re: Fake Trade Thread #6 

Post#81 » by LofJ » Tue Feb 13, 2024 1:19 pm

HornetJail wrote:Need #1 for this team is a big man that can cover the center minutes Mark doesn't play, but is also able to exist with him. Most very good centers in today's NBA only play 27-30mpg apiece, so having two of them is not an issue at all, as long as they can play 10-12mpg of their minutes together. We cannot go into another season with Mark as the only decent center. His back problems are concerning enough that we need to start thinking about contingency plan without him, but he's also too good to completely write off.

I'd be thrilled to have a long-term Sabonis/Turner "problem" here, is what I'm saying.

Agreed, it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world for us to win some games to end the season and end up drafting at 7 or 8 and take Kyle Flipowski. He's a big that can put it on the floor, shoot, and pass. I also think he has quick enough feet to not kill us defensively. Bigs as skilled as he is are doing very well in the league right now.
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,584

Post#82 » by HornetJail » Tue Feb 13, 2024 1:38 pm

MasterIchiro wrote:End the retool.

Spurs get:

2024 top-5 pick (protections removed, 1st no longer owed).

Micic
Bertans
Thor

Hornets get:

Devin Vassell

New core

LaMelo - Mann - Seth
Vassell - NSJ
Miller - Martin - McGowens
Miles - G. Williams
M. Williams - NicRic - Nnaji

Control of all 1st round picks
Heat 1st round pick 2027/28
Mavs 1st round pick
Cap space for free agency

Feels like an overpay unless this class really is that bad
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
MasterIchiro
RealGM
And1: 5,380

Post#83 » by MasterIchiro » Tue Feb 13, 2024 1:59 pm

HornetJail wrote:
MasterIchiro wrote:End the retool.

Spurs get:

2024 top-5 pick (protections removed, 1st no longer owed).

Micic
Bertans
Thor

Hornets get:

Devin Vassell

New core

LaMelo - Mann - Seth
Vassell - NSJ
Miller - Martin - McGowens
Miles - G. Williams
M. Williams - NicRic - Nnaji

Control of all 1st round picks
Heat 1st round pick 2027/28
Mavs 1st round pick
Cap space for free agency

Feels like an overpay unless this class really is that bad

Perhaps it's an overpay but I guess I'm willing to pay a premium for Vassell because he makes the roster competitive for a playoff spot more than a pick would, while still being young enough to fit the timeline.

Hornets would have 6 firsts to still bolster that roster in the coming seasons.
It has been written...
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,699

Post#84 » by yosemiteben » Tue Feb 13, 2024 2:27 pm

I would give an unwise number of picks to get Mikal Bridges on this team. Melo - Miller - Miles - Mikal - Mark would be a sick starting lineup.
Marino
Pro Prospect
And1: 166

Post#85 » by Marino » Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:21 pm

yosemiteben wrote:I would give an unwise number of picks to get Mikal Bridges on this team. Melo - Miller - Miles - Mikal - Mark would be a sick starting lineup.

The alliteration itself makes it worth it imo.
JustBuzzin
General Manager
And1: 6,408

Post#86 » by JustBuzzin » Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:36 pm

yosemiteben wrote:I would give an unwise number of picks to get Mikal Bridges on this team. Melo - Miller - Miles - Mikal - Mark would be a sick starting lineup.

If we ever decided to trade picks for a star this would be the time to do it.

I don't see a star in this draft, if we could get Mikal Bridges that would take us to another level.
MasterIchiro
RealGM

Post#87 » by MasterIchiro » Tue Feb 13, 2024 5:58 pm

Miller looks like a #1 option. LaMelo, easily a #2 and Miles a #3 option on a playoff team.

I think we need to be looking smaller, cheaper and younger. The next addition only needs to be at best #3 option who plays unselfish, defends and can space. Vassell and Mikal Bridges have the identical efficiency stats, though Vassell is a whole 4 years younger and undoubtedly cheaper.

Mikal will be priced as a #1 option yet he's leading his team to the lottery. At his price, I will decline. Vassell is a better ballhandler and more of a 2.

Miller and Miles play the 3/4.
It has been written...
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,103

Post#88 » by Liver_Pooty » Tue Feb 13, 2024 6:17 pm

Been advocating this for a good while. Don't see the Nets giving up on him though yet.
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,699

Post#89 » by yosemiteben » Tue Feb 13, 2024 6:32 pm

MasterIchiro wrote:Vassell and Mikal Bridges have the identical efficiency stats, though Vassell is a whole 4 years younger and undoubtedly cheaper.

Mikal will be priced as a #1 option yet he's leading his team to the lottery. At his price, I will decline. Vassell is a better ballhandler and more of a 2.

I'll be honest, I haven't checked Vassell's stats in a long time (maybe ever?) and didn't realize he was being as productive or efficient as he is. That makes it more interesting and I definitely see your logic here.

I do like that Mikal is a bit taller and has a broader wingspan, and I think he adds defensive versatility that I would prioritize. With that said, I don't know enough about Vassell and his defensive potential to know if that justifies the extra cost.

I know Mikal would cost more, but I am curious if he is actually more gettable than Vassell would be, just given their respective franchise situations. I don't know what BRK is doing right now, whereas obviously SAS thinks they have their franchise foundation. Not sure how fixed they are on Vassell being a part of their core long term.
Rich4114
RealGM
And1: 4,198

Post#90 » by Rich4114 » Tue Feb 13, 2024 7:10 pm

Two Bridges in the starting lineup would break Eric Collins.

It sounds like the Nets way over-value Mikal though. I'd be willing to give up multiple FRP's but not more than the two we just acquired plus one of our own. Alternatively, would including Ben Simmons in the deal work better for both sides? What player(s) would we have to give up? I bet they'd at least want Mark Williams and NSJ.
JMAC3
RealGM
And1: 4,231

Post#91 » by JMAC3 » Tue Feb 13, 2024 7:17 pm

I am torn on Vassell. Spurs gave him a large payday this year. He is the 2nd best player on a 11 win team, or do the Spurs get the benefit of the doubt? Because National media and probably a good bit of our own fans would be calling him empty stats if was in Teal.
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
Rich4114
RealGM
And1: 4,198

Post#92 » by Rich4114 » Tue Feb 13, 2024 7:23 pm

JMAC3 wrote:I am torn on Vassell. Spurs gave him a large payday this year. He is the 2nd best player on a 11 win team, or do the Spurs get the benefit of the doubt? Because National media and probably a good bit of our own fans would be calling him empty stats if was in Teal.

Wouldn't risk Vassell tbh. If the cost was similar, Bridges all the way. (though it probably isn't).

I also would still be intrigued by Dejounte. I think him and LaMelo would have the type of chemistry he and Trae do not. Atlanta just needs more wings next to Trae not another ball handling guard. While you could say the same about LaMelo from 3000 feet, I think LaMelo has proven he can be just as effective if he's off ball for stretches. So you could balance the ball handling load between those two theoretically and keep defenses on their toes.

Honestly though the absolute best fit next to LaMelo (if healthy) would actually be his brother Lonzo ironically. Doubt that happens due to his knees, but a decent thought and I think they did explore moving Terry for Lonzo at one point.

Speaking of the Bulls, Caruso would be another really good fit in the backcourt and ought to cost less than everyone above minus Lonzo.

The good news is now, we have trade ammo. We can just keep making lottery picks as well of course, but we have the ability to swing big. Perhaps things fall apart in NOLA with Zion and he becomes a target. Then you keep Miller at SG, Miles SF and Zion at PF.

Some nice options to think about, whether realistic or not.
JustBuzzin
General Manager

Post#93 » by JustBuzzin » Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:56 pm

MasterIchiro wrote:Miller looks like a #1 option. LaMelo, easily a #2 and Miles a #3 option on a playoff team.

I think we need to be looking smaller, cheaper and younger. The next addition only needs to be at best #3 option who plays unselfish, defends and can space. Vassell and Mikal Bridges have the identical efficiency stats, though Vassell is a whole 4 years younger and undoubtedly cheaper.

Who are your top 3 players for us to draft?

I pretty much want either Risacher or Cody Williams.
NCHeels2008
RealGM
And1: 2,649

Post#94 » by NCHeels2008 » Wed Feb 14, 2024 8:29 am

MasterIchiro wrote:Miller looks like a #1 option. LaMelo, easily a #2 and Miles a #3 option on a playoff team.

I still think we need another playmaker, don't really care what position he plays. This team is awfully reliant on Ball, we will see how Mann and Micic play out but Idk if they're good enough.
JMAC3
RealGM

Post#95 » by JMAC3 » Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:27 pm

NCHeels2008 wrote:

I still think we need another playmaker, don't really care what position he plays. This team is awfully reliant on Ball, we will see how Mann and Micic play out but Idk if they're good enough.

I agree, but I also think Miller will emerge as a pretty good playmaker in the next year or 2. I would say Tre Mann is a good bandaid until Miller is ready. Top 5 pick could also help with that and be less of a scorer.
Big Board
MasterIchiro
RealGM

Post#96 » by MasterIchiro » Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:33 pm

NCHeels2008 wrote:

The Spurs have run Vassell at point.

San Antonio is obviously interested in drafting a PG for Wembanyama. Supposedly, they have their sights on Nikola Topic.

If we vault past them in the lottery and Topic is on the board, I think we have an inside track on Devin Vassell. For a 3 & D with length, he's a solid playmaker.

Hopefully the new owners are aggressive and greenlight this kind of move. I concede a top 3 pick is a stiff premium for Vassell. He will never make an AS appearance. But consider the demand for competitive players like PJ Washington who went for a top-2 protected 1st round pick.
It has been written...
JMAC3
RealGM

Post#97 » by JMAC3 » Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:38 pm

MasterIchiro wrote:
NCHeels2008 wrote:

The Spurs have run Vassell at point.

San Antonio is obviously interested in drafting a PG for Wembanyama. Supposedly, they have their sights on Nikola Topic.

If we vault past them in the lottery and Topic is on the board, I think we have an inside track on Devin Vassell. For a 3 & D with length, he's a solid playmaker.

Hopefully the new owners are aggressive and greenlight this kind of move. I concede a top 3 pick is a stiff premium for Vassell. He will never make an AS appearance. But consider the demand for competitive players like PJ Washington who went for a top-2 protected 1st round pick.

I like Vassell, but he signed a 5/135. I might just prefer the rookie contract and more flexibility if we pick in the top 2-3. If we pick more in the 5-7 range then yeah I would consider it.
Big Board
MasterIchiro
RealGM

Post#98 » by MasterIchiro » Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:41 pm

JustBuzzin wrote:

The only player who moves the needle for me is Topic, but I'd deal him to the Spurs for Devin Vassell.

LaMelo - Mann
Vassell - NSJ
Miller - Martin
Miles - Grant
Mark - Nick

No way does that 10-man rotation miss the playoffs if healthy.

We are finally in position to trade a high lottery pick for immediate help. Should we release protections on the 1st owed the Spurs for 2024, we regain control of all our firsts.

We'd be in position to trade up to 4 of our own firsts at the deadline, plus Heat 1st + Mavs 1st.

No pick in the 2024 draft, even Topic who's my favorite, puts us in a better position to compete next season.

So my plan is Vassell, then pivot to buying at the 2025 deadline. 6 1sts puts us in a better position than the Knicks in bidding wars should a star become available. And with a starting 5 of:

LaMelo
Vassell
Miller
Miles
Mark

I just don't see where we really need an upgrade. The luxury would be nice though.
It has been written...
JustBuzzin
General Manager

Post#99 » by JustBuzzin » Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:46 pm

MasterIchiro wrote:
JustBuzzin wrote:

The only player who moves the needle for me is Topic, but I'd deal him to the Spurs for Devin Vassell.

LaMelo - Mann
Vassell - NSJ
Miller - Martin
Miles - Grant
Mark - Nick

No way does that 10-man rotation miss the playoffs if healthy.

We are finally in position to trade a high lottery pick for immediate help. Should we release protections on the 1st owed the Spurs for 2024, we regain control of all our firsts.

We'd be in position to trade up to 4 of our own firsts at the deadline, plus Heat 1st + Mavs 1st.

No pick in the 2024 draft, even Topic who's my favorite, puts us in a better position to compete next season.

So my plan is Vassell, then pivot to buying at the 2025 deadline. 6 1sts puts us in a better position than the Knicks in bidding wars should a star become available. And with a starting 5 of:

LaMelo
Vassell
Miller
Miles
Mark

I just don't see where we really need an upgrade. The luxury would be nice though.

Sounds like a hell of a plan.

Crazy we are in position to be a major buyer with all those picks.
MasterIchiro
RealGM

Post#100 » by MasterIchiro » Wed Feb 14, 2024 6:09 pm

Yes, incredible that Kupchak put us in position to be one draft away from playoff contention plus purchasing power to outbid other playoff teams.

We are much closer to being a team missing one piece rather than a team without pieces. We are not starting from scratch. Not even close.

Our front office and new ownership leveraged all our assets to perfection and timed the market perfectly.

They made a smart purchase. Winning basketball is in our future. Sustainable winking basketball, because we're young.
It has been written...

Return to Charlotte Hornets