And1: 43,132

Fake Trade Thread #6 

Post#1 » by JDR720 » Wed Feb 7, 2024 3:10 am

NCHeels2008
RealGM
And1: 2,606

Re: Fake Trade Thread #6 

Post#2 » by NCHeels2008 » Wed Feb 7, 2024 6:54 am

JMAC mentioned PJ getting a ton of interest from other teams, I've beat this horse dead but I'll say it again. On a contending team with good structure, I think he'd be a fine, maybe even great 4th or 5th starter. If the Hornets want to keep him Miles should be dealt. PJ doesn't do well with Miles around. I think Miles should be dealt off to the highest bidder at the deadline so the team can attempt a culture reset.

I was completely wrong on Brandon Miller, it does seem like his off-the-court mistake, while showing bad judgment, was a one off and he's one of the few bright spots in a dark season. We can't sell low on Ball but I hope this season shakes off the notion that the organization can rely on Ball to be the only high-level playmaker, I hope the team drafts/acquires someone who can play both on and off the ball so we have LaMelo insurance. Obviously, I'm most likely wrong on the Scoot>Miller take which I'll happily eat crow on but I still think the team needs to stop banking so heavily on Ball. With the amount of cap space Ball takes you'd need him to be a contender if the team ever gets that far. But at a bare **** minimum there needs to be a support structure that allows the team to tread water at a .500 level without Ball instead of the bottom falling out more often than not when he has his annual long injury absence.
KingCat
Sixth Man
And1: 831

Post#3 » by KingCat » Wed Feb 7, 2024 8:03 am

A lot of desperate teams around right . Too many to believe that some bench warmers and 2nd round picks is all we can get for Miles. He might be a rental but he is also a 20 point scorer on an incredibly easy contract to absorb.

I'd imagine the 10th-6th seed in a clumped up West might be interested. As well as teams trying to stay afloat through injuries like Philly and the Knicks.
Your Charlotte Hornets! We’ll eventually get something right;right?
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,654

Post#4 » by yosemiteben » Wed Feb 7, 2024 12:39 pm

NCHeels2008 wrote:I think Miles should be dealt off to the highest bidder at the deadline so the team can attempt a culture reset.

If that's the approach they want to take, it would make way more sense to keep him and then sign and trade him in the off-season. His value on an expiring with no bird rights is artificially deflating his value, and I don't see the point in rushing to make that move now compared to the off-season a couple months from now.

Zach Lowe brought up in a recent pod that this year teams have way fewer tradeable 1sts at the deadline than they will have this summer, and that could result in teams holding off on trades at the deadline to generate a better auction process with more teams with assets over the summer.
KembaWalker
General Manager
And1: 10,744

Post#5 » by KembaWalker » Wed Feb 7, 2024 12:45 pm

NCHeels2008 wrote:JMAC mentioned PJ getting a ton of interest from other teams, I've beat this horse dead but I'll say it again. On a contending team with good structure, I think he'd be a fine, maybe even great 4th or 5th starter. If the Hornets want to keep him Miles should be dealt. PJ doesn't do well with Miles around. I think Miles should be dealt off to the highest bidder at the deadline so the team can attempt a culture reset.

I was completely wrong on Brandon Miller, it does seem like his off-the-court mistake, while showing bad judgment, was a one off and he's one of the few bright spots in a dark season. We can't sell low on Ball but I hope this season shakes off the notion that the organization can rely on Ball to be the only high-level playmaker, I hope the team drafts/acquires someone who can play both on and off the ball so we have LaMelo insurance. Obviously, I'm most likely wrong on the Scoot>Miller take which I'll happily eat crow on but I still think the team needs to stop banking so heavily on Ball. With the amount of cap space Ball takes you'd need him to be a contender if the team ever gets that far. But at a bare **** minimum there needs to be a support structure that allows the team to tread water at a .500 level without Ball instead of the bottom falling out more often than not when he has his annual long injury absence.

If we ever had a team that was capable of playing .500 without LaMelo we'd be like, a conference finals contender. That's not happening any time soon let alone being the bare minimum expectation
Bassman
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,525

Post#6 » by Bassman » Wed Feb 7, 2024 1:50 pm

I will be more disappointed if we aren’t able to offload Lowry and Hayward today. I don’t want crap back…would prefer to hold and use salary elsewhere next year/beyond verses acquiring junk. But still am tempted on Wiggins, thinking dealing for Gordon might be worth the gamble.
I continue to wait...and hope...for the return to Hornet's glory.
SWedd523
RealGM
And1: 5,172

Post#7 » by SWedd523 » Wed Feb 7, 2024 2:17 pm

I'm also in the "not trading Hayward or Lowry is a failure" camp.
LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,519

Post#8 » by LofJ » Wed Feb 7, 2024 2:22 pm

Another potential salary dump guy that might be worth considering is John Collins. If Ainge decides he'd rather have the cap space they have more than enough future draft picks to incentivize us to trade them Hayward or Lowry for cap relief.

And for us Collins would be a useful player considering our lack of front court depth.
JMAC3
General Manager
And1: 4,164

Post#9 » by JMAC3 » Wed Feb 7, 2024 3:15 pm

I could see a sign and trade this summer with Miles for John Collins.
He makes 2/52 and wouldn't be the worst asset to take back this summer.
Hold him for a year and then you have a nice expiring that might have some value.

I would rather that then a bunch of garbage 2nds for Miles right now.
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
JustBuzzin
Head Coach
And1: 5,500

Post#10 » by JustBuzzin » Wed Feb 7, 2024 3:19 pm

LofJ wrote:Another potential salary dump guy that might be worth considering is John Collins. If Ainge decides he'd rather have the cap space they have more than enough future draft picks to incentivize us to trade them Hayward or Lowry for cap relief.

And for us Collins would be a useful player considering our lack of front court depth.

I been suggesting Collins for a while.

He's one of the few bad salary players I would take. If we could get a future 1st that would be even better.
NCHeels2008
RealGM
And1: 2,606

Post#11 » by NCHeels2008 » Wed Feb 7, 2024 3:53 pm

KembaWalker wrote:
NCHeels2008 wrote:JMAC mentioned PJ getting a ton of interest from other teams, I've beat this horse dead but I'll say it again. On a contending team with good structure, I think he'd be a fine, maybe even great 4th or 5th starter. If the Hornets want to keep him Miles should be dealt. PJ doesn't do well with Miles around. I think Miles should be dealt off to the highest bidder at the deadline so the team can attempt a culture reset.

If we ever had a team that was capable of playing .500 without LaMelo we'd be like, a conference finals contender. That's not happening any time soon let alone being the bare minimum expectation

Well if we hire a Bud type to coach that should be the goal. My point is we definitely aren't going anywhere leaning so heavily on Ball to be the sole great playmaker. And even just second-round-level teams usually have a solid secondary creator.
LofJ
RealGM

Post#12 » by LofJ » Wed Feb 7, 2024 4:07 pm

Seems like the PJ for Green discussions are legit:

Read on Twitter
Bassman
Lead Assistant

Post#13 » by Bassman » Wed Feb 7, 2024 4:13 pm

Let’s send Dallas PJ and Bouk. We get Green and Holmes. Seems like a fair trade to me. No picks involved.
Soul Rebel
Senior
And1: 372

Post#14 » by Soul Rebel » Wed Feb 7, 2024 4:54 pm

Am I wrong to want to keep Miles if the return is trash (2nd rounders + journeymen)?

I know we will have a lot of cap space, but who's coming to Charlotte that is a better talent than Miles, makes us a better team and their skills/age fit our timeline?

I'd rather pay Miles to be our 4 with an uber-talented 6'7" SF and stout 7'0" C on either side of him. I think if we can get a top-3 selection and snag a SG that compliments 'Melo with the ceiling of Miller, we are set 1-5.

If we were to structure Miles' deal to be super team-friendly with clauses to protect CLT from any more legal/troublemaking issues, why not lock him in for three years. He said he wants to be here.....not a common thought around the league from other players.

Get a coach that knows how to lead a squad that has this much young talent. Cliff ain't it.
JMAC3
General Manager
And1: 4,164

Post#15 » by JMAC3 » Wed Feb 7, 2024 5:14 pm

Bassman wrote:Let’s send Dallas PJ and Bouk. We get Green and Holmes. Seems like a fair trade to me. No picks involved.

Holmes might be Mensah bad and is 100.1% taking his player option next year. So we will have 12.8 million in dead cap. I get the trade needs to have matching salary, but here is a fun thought experiment.

If we don't do the Dallas trade. Fast forward 5 months and they say, hey will you take Holmes into cap space for compensation, what would we want? A few things to note is Dallas got the 24th pick (omax) for taking him from Sacramento with 2 years left. Indy just got a 2nd for taking 5.6 million in expiring Kira Lewis from Pelicans.

In my opinion Holmes dead cap is worth 2 2nds, and that is this offseason for 12.8. If we take him now it will be more like 18 million because his salary would be prorated this year.

Said all that, this trade feels like we are trading PJ, 2 2nds for Josh Green, which seems like a massive overpay IMO. We are giving the Mavs free value by taking Holmes for free essentially.
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
LofJ
RealGM

Post#16 » by LofJ » Wed Feb 7, 2024 5:43 pm

Seems like the team is also asking to be compensated for taking on Holmes:

Read on Twitter
KingCat
Sixth Man
And1: 831

Post#17 » by KingCat » Wed Feb 7, 2024 5:47 pm

Sure he hasn't been amazing this season, but I'm not quite sure why the FO is determined to trade PJ. Makes even less sense if the rumors of trading Miles is true.
Your Charlotte Hornets! We’ll eventually get something right;right?
LofJ
RealGM

Post#18 » by LofJ » Wed Feb 7, 2024 6:04 pm

KingCat wrote:Sure he hasn't been amazing this season, but I'm not quite sure why the FO is determined to trade PJ. Makes even less sense if the rumors of trading Miles is true.

I think the determination is coming from Dallas. They wanted to sign and trade for him during the summer.

I think the Miles rumors are also coming from other teams. The Hornets have given no indication that they're the ones pushing to trade him.
Bassman
Lead Assistant

Post#19 » by Bassman » Wed Feb 7, 2024 6:12 pm

Doubt anyone deals for Lowry or Hayward. Whatever we’d get back shouldn’t have multiple teams fighting for either of those two. The deal would be struck and done by now (I would think).
Bassman
Lead Assistant

Post#20 » by Bassman » Wed Feb 7, 2024 6:15 pm

Per ESPN Draft Day Ticker:

1:01 p.m. ET: The Utah Jazz are trading Simone Fontecchio to the Detroit Pistons for a 2024 second-round pick, sources told ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski. Fontecchio is averaging 8.9 points and 3.5 rebounds in 50 games this season, shooting 39.1% from 3.

Return to Charlotte Hornets