Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,053

Re: Welcome to Charlotte Vasilije Micic 

Post#41 » by Liver_Pooty » Wed Mar 6, 2024 2:22 am

JustBuzzin wrote:
Liver_Pooty wrote:
JustBuzzin wrote:Miller is mainly why im still watching these games yes.

I get that, but there are other people on the team he can pass too. I think he's a more than capable backup PG. He's also still getting used to the NBA game.

He's fine on the team. I just don't think it's ideal for him to be the primary backup. He's a upgrade over what we had in the past, but it's still a must we improve at backup pg. I can see why he wasn't getting any burn on the Thunder. He controls the ball a lot. That also explains why he was the MVP in the Euroleague.

I'm just going to disagree with you on him being a solid backup point guard and agree he should reel in his shooting a little. But I think he is, and will be a great backup guard. Little older at 30 but his game obviously isn't predicated on athleticism so he'll be alright.
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
JustBuzzin
Head Coach
And1: 5,501

Post#42 » by JustBuzzin » Wed Mar 6, 2024 2:45 am

Liver_Pooty wrote:
JustBuzzin wrote:
Liver_Pooty wrote:
I get that, but there are other people on the team he can pass too. I think he's a more than capable backup PG. He's also still getting used to the NBA game.

He's fine on the team. I just don't think it's ideal for him to be the primary backup. He's a upgrade over what we had in the past, but it's still a must we improve at backup pg. I can see why he wasn't getting any burn on the Thunder. He controls the ball a lot. That also explains why he was the MVP in the Euroleague.

I'm just going to disagree with you on him being a solid backup point guard and agree he should reel in his shooting a little. But I think he is, and will be a great backup guard. Little older at 30 but his game obviously isn't predicated on athleticism so he'll be alright.

I hope so. Just find it odd he went from being pass first to shoot first over these last few games. I think he's a better pg when he's pass first.
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,053

Post#43 » by Liver_Pooty » Wed Mar 6, 2024 2:48 am

JustBuzzin wrote:
Liver_Pooty wrote:
JustBuzzin wrote:He's fine on the team. I just don't think it's ideal for him to be the primary backup. He's a upgrade over what we had in the past, but it's still a must we improve at backup pg. I can see why he wasn't getting any burn on the Thunder. He controls the ball a lot. That also explains why he was the MVP in the Euroleague.

I hope so. Just find it odd he went from being pass first to shoot first over these last few games. I think he's a better pg when he's pass first.

I mean he had 21 5 and 4 on 8-15 shooting tonight. I'll agree I prefer him driving in the paint as he is struggling from deep.
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
wilson115
Sixth Man
And1: 968

Post#44 » by wilson115 » Sat Mar 16, 2024 1:44 am

"Check if he's hurt."

Read on Twitter
GoBobs
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,507

Post#45 » by GoBobs » Sat Mar 16, 2024 2:22 pm

Liver_Pooty wrote:
JustBuzzin wrote:
Liver_Pooty wrote:

I mean he had 21 5 and 4 on 8-15 shooting tonight. I'll agree I prefer him driving in the paint as he is struggling from deep.

Right now the only half decent offense we have is Mann or Micic being the ballhandler in the pick and roll. They are in a position where they have to read the defense and take what the defense wants to give up. Teams know Micic is somebody that can pass, so they are going to make him prove he can score it also.

There is no reason Micic can't be a star in this league. His international stats have him as a 37% career shooter from deep. The line is a little closer there like the college line, but he will likely adjust to the nba distance with a little time.
Jstock12
RealGM
And1: 17,291

Post#46 » by Jstock12 » Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:12 pm

GoBobs wrote:
Liver_Pooty wrote:
JustBuzzin wrote:I hope so. Just find it odd he went from being pass first to shoot first over these last few games. I think he's a better pg when he's pass first.

Right now the only half decent offense we have is Mann or Micic being the ballhandler in the pick and roll. They are in a position where they have to read the defense and take what the defense wants to give up. Teams know Micic is somebody that can pass, so they are going to make him prove he can score it also.

There is no reason Micic can't be a star in this league. His international stats have him as a 37% career shooter from deep. The line is a little closer there like the college line, but he will likely adjust to the nba distance with a little time.

As someone who's been following Micic's Euroleague career, I can say Micic is much more than just a passer. He's got a deep bag and that Luka Doncic shiftiness to make fools out of the defenders, even without the help of elite athleticism. I hope he'll get the chance to showcase all that he can do before getting put in some limited role as a strictly pass first PG. He's definitely capable of being a solid rotation player on a good team in this league.
MasterIchiro
RealGM
And1: 5,340

Post#47 » by MasterIchiro » Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:35 pm

A star? C'mon now. He would've adjusted to the NBA much faster if that were his trajectory.

However, given more consistent playing time, he has demonstrated he is adjusting to a higher level of play where the defenders are quicker and can smother perimeter players. So while he's 30, he can still improve with reps.

I'm hopeful he can become a playoff caliber PG2. I wouldn't be surprised if he were raising eyebrows around the league with scouts. Some playoff bound team thin at PG could make an aggressive offer for him. You'd have to listen in that case given the play of Tre Mann and the cost control with Tre being a restricted free agent after next season.

Two gorgeous contracts (Micic & Mann) plus 2 second round picks acquired for 1 bad contract (Hayward). Such a savvy trade by the outgoing GM.

Given LaMelo's injury history of recurrent ankle issues, it's probably wise to keep both players at least one more year while you evaluate LaMelo's durability.

Hornets don't need to surrender Vasa given the draft cupboard is stocked flush with picks. After next season Hornets regain control of all 4 first round picks available for trade, plus 2 lightly protected 1sts from Dallas and Miami. Dallas is currently on the verge of their 2nd straight lottery.

I would probably want a young, experienced stretch big for Micic. Someone like Wendell Carter Jr. Picks don't move the needle. We will have sufficient draft capital to land a star guard.
It has been written...
MasterIchiro
RealGM

Post#48 » by MasterIchiro » Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:57 pm

Another thing I love about Micic is when he talks about the game of basketball, he sounds so smart, in his second language no less. He sounds like a coach and a good one. Poised. Plays with purpose. Has a plan. Makes adjustments.

Draft Nikola Topic and let Vasa mentor him. He could be a sneaky selection. I don't see much separation in talent at the top of the draft. So it comes down to base skill sets. I've said before, Hornets need more IQ on the roster. So it's about need in the high lottery, not necessarily position. We need brains.
It has been written...
GoBobs
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,507

Post#49 » by GoBobs » Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:07 pm

good video on Vasa
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,624

Post#50 » by fatlever » Thu Mar 21, 2024 6:12 pm

So, are we good with micic as our starting point guard next year? Or should we look to sign a starting point guard at free agency?

Sent from my SM-G973U using RealGM mobile app
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,656

Post#51 » by yosemiteben » Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:26 pm

fatlever wrote:So, are we good with micic as our starting point guard next year? Or should we look to sign a starting point guard at free agency?

So you want to assume we won't have Melo playing next year?
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets

Post#52 » by fatlever » Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:40 pm

yosemiteben wrote:
fatlever wrote:So, are we good with micic as our starting point guard next year? Or should we look to sign a starting point guard at free agency?

lol, yeah, i'm being cheeky,
but also... i'm done expecting melo to be part of our team until he proves he can play more than half a season. melo is in lonzo, ben simmons, jonathan issac, markel fultz territory for me, until proven otherwise.
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets

Post#53 » by fatlever » Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:48 pm

same goes for mark williams and cody
expecting any of those 3 to miraculously become durable is tough to envision. we need to target high level replacements/backups at all three
we need a legit starting level point guard - maybe micic
we need a starting caliber center
we need a ball stopping poa defender or 3/d wing

if we could address one in draft and one in free agency, that would be a start. at best, we have high level backups behind our oft-injured starters.
SWedd523
RealGM
And1: 5,172

Post#54 » by SWedd523 » Fri Mar 22, 2024 2:19 am

yosemiteben wrote:

Who's that?
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 43,133

Post#55 » by JDR720 » Fri Mar 22, 2024 3:15 am

Mello Yello is a pretty decent soda.
SWedd523
RealGM
And1: 5,172

Post#56 » by SWedd523 » Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:52 am

JDR720 wrote:Mello Yello is a pretty decent soda.

Sun Drop
Chapelchilla
Bench Warmer
And1: 867

Post#57 » by Chapelchilla » Fri Mar 22, 2024 5:53 pm

It would be great if the supposedly incoming training staff could actually keep our team moderately healthy or at least give out realistic updates going forward. I would assume Cody is done as regular player, luckily he only has a year left. Melo needs to get serious about his health, the game, life etc. Hopefully he can get rehabbed effectively this summer and learn to wear supports like Steph. Mark is even more worrisome. At least he is on a rookie deal.
We absolutely should draft BPA, even PG and bring in starting level / good back up Bigs.
MugzZo
Sixth Man
And1: 906

Post#58 » by MugzZo » Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:13 pm

Sent from my SM-G973U using RealGM mobile app
We atleast gotta go for fultz in case Melo hiccups. Between Vasa and him we could atleast keep it moving with options moving forward.

Sent from my SM-F936U using RealGM mobile app
MasterIchiro
RealGM

Post#59 » by MasterIchiro » Sat Mar 23, 2024 12:46 am

I think Micic/Mann is a sufficient hedge for LaMelo's health questions. If there's any doubt from the new medical staff, you have to take Topic because he's a floor general.
It has been written...
Snidely FC
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,141

Post#60 » by Snidely FC » Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:57 am

Vasa gets the Zach Lowe stamp of approval:
The Charlotte Hornets doubling as the Oklahoma City Blue has given us Vasilije Micic unleashed. Micic is the league's oldest rookie at 30, drafted 10 years ago as a stash guy by the Process Philadelphia 76ers. The Thunder acquired him in Philly's Al Horford salary dump, and Micic finally arrived after developing into one of the best players in the EuroLeague.

Given Micic's contract -- three years, $23.5 million with a team option -- it was clear he was partly a trade asset; the Thunder indeed included him in their deal for Gordon Hayward.

Micic had moments when it looked like he might emerge as part of Oklahoma City's bench rotation in a secondary connector role. He has more control of the offense in Charlotte, and it turns out Micic can score some in the NBA.

Micic is shooting 57% on 2s and averaging 12 points with the Hornets -- with four 20-plus outings in Charlotte's past eight games. He is a very clever passer.

Return to Charlotte Hornets