Mr Nice Guy: The Grant Williams Thread

Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

KembaWalker
General Manager
And1: 10,763

Re: Welcome to Charlotte - Grant Williams 

Post#41 » by KembaWalker » Thu Feb 15, 2024 4:04 pm

Dirk wrote:
KembaWalker wrote:Funniest thing is Mavs Reddit is trying to sell themselves on PJ Washington of all people as a lockdown wing/big defender now that he’s doing the normal PJ disappearing act on offense

https://www.reddit.com/r/Mavericks/comments/1ar677m/pjail_washington/

I liked and vouched for PJs value despite their weird vitriolic hatred toward Grant and our FO but they are really setting themselves up for extreme disappointment

PJail :lol: :lol:

Don't you feel you're too invested on PJ Washington and how Mavs fans feel? :lol:

"Disappearing act on offense" when he is playing playing with Luka/Kyrie? All he needs to start doing is hitting his 3 pointers. He's not expected to do very much.

His 3 point shot looks iffy and if he were to suck all year, that would be quite terrible. But he's fluid attacking the basket, has made a couple of nice passes. He's obviously way more athletic than Williams and has been active on defense.

You don't seem to appreciate how much of an abomination Grant Williams was in Dallas. That is why you see the reactions... most fans just couldn't stand watching Williams. He couldn't hit a shot, fat, couldn't dribble, couldn't even catch a ball sometimes. It was really horrible.

I for one would still not have overrated and trade Williams is desperation and take a risk (the very lightly protected pick). So I wouldn't have made the trade. The Hornets made a good trade by default. I am just trying to give you the context as to why Mavs fans will feel good... simply because they do not have Williams on the team. Despite PJ Washington missing his 3 pointers... he's still been better for the Mavericks than Grant Williams was for the Mavericks --- this is not "copium". You would know if you had watching Grant Williams play in dallas.

The Grant Williams you saw for 3 games is obviously not the player that he was in Dallas for months. And there's no one to blame --- he also had a super hot start with the Mavs. I guess after a certain point with his struggles, he never was able to overcome it and confidence was lost, both by him and the franchise itself.

He surely can't be as bad as he was with the Mavs for an extended time, but I do figure that at certain points in the season, you will get a glimpse as to why the Mavs fans loathed him so much. For your sake, let's just hope it's just a game here and there.. and not weeks on top of weeks, which was what happened with the Mavs.

For a fat bricklayer his scoring efficiency was still better for Dallas than PJs ever had in a season in his career outside of one, for a butterfingers that can’t catch a ball he averaged fewer TOs per 36 than PJ ever has. I dunno man, it seems vitriolic, more like you guys expected some hidden star because he was a good role player for Boston and they’re mad he’s still just a good role player now.
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,054

Post#42 » by Liver_Pooty » Thu Feb 15, 2024 4:08 pm

Dirk wrote:
KembaWalker wrote:Funniest thing is Mavs Reddit is trying to sell themselves on PJ Washington of all people as a lockdown wing/big defender now that he’s doing the normal PJ disappearing act on offense

I liked and vouched for PJs value despite their weird vitriolic hatred toward Grant and our FO but they are really setting themselves up for extreme disappointment

Don't you feel you're too invested on PJ Washington and how Mavs fans feel? :lol:

"Disappearing act on offense" when he is playing playing with Luka/Kyrie? All he needs to start doing is hitting his 3 pointers. He's not expected to do very much.

His 3 point shot looks iffy and if he were to suck all year, that would be quite terrible. But he's fluid attacking the basket, has made a couple of nice passes. He's obviously way more athletic than Williams and has been active on defense.

You don't seem to appreciate how much of an abomination Grant Williams was in Dallas. That is why you see the reactions... most fans just couldn't stand watching Williams. He couldn't hit a shot, fat, couldn't dribble, couldn't even catch a ball sometimes. It was really horrible.

I for one would still not have overrated and trade Williams is desperation and take a risk (the very lightly protected pick). So I wouldn't have made the trade. The Hornets made a good trade by default. I am just trying to give you the context as to why Mavs fans will feel good... simply because they do not have Williams on the team. Despite PJ Washington missing his 3 pointers... he's still been better for the Mavericks than Grant Williams was for the Mavericks --- this is not "copium". You would know if you had watching Grant Williams play in dallas.

The Grant Williams you saw for 3 games is obviously not the player that he was in Dallas for months. And there's no one to blame --- he also had a super hot start with the Mavs. I guess after a certain point with his struggles, he never was able to overcome it and confidence was lost, both by him and the franchise itself.

He surely can't be as bad as he was with the Mavs for an extended time, but I do figure that at certain points in the season, you will get a glimpse as to why the Mavs fans loathed him so much. For your sake, let's just hope it's just a game here and there.. and not weeks on top of weeks, which was what happened with the Mavs.

I don't care about the swap of players as much as I do the pick to be honest.
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 36,253

Post#43 » by Dirk » Thu Feb 15, 2024 4:17 pm

KembaWalker wrote:
Dirk wrote:

For a fat bricklayer his scoring efficiency was still better for Dallas than PJs ever had in a season in his career outside of one, for a butterfingers that can’t catch a ball he averaged fewer TOs per 36 than PJ ever has. I dunno man, it seems vitriolic, more like you guys expected some hidden star because he was a good role player for Boston and they’re mad he’s still just a good role player now.

Like I said: I wouldnt have made the trade. It's risky. But I definitely "feel" the way the other fans feel. It's hard to explain, but Grant Williams really was absolutely horrible to watch... so for Mavs fans, they would feel better to see some 10 day contract guy... than to watch Grant Williams. I would not say "it was vitriolic", because he really sucked for a very long time.

Williams started his season red hot. After the first 7 games, so the next 40 games. These were his averages:

6.9 pts .329 3pt%

I compiled this video recently, that encapsulates many of the plays that lead Mavs fans to despair.

It is entirely possible that PJ sucks for the rest of the season shooting 3s and then you'll see Mavs fans jump on him. The Mavs haven't had a lot of good moves, so more often than not... they overreact and mess up. I was just giving you context as to why for now... even with PJ bricking the 3s, he's still been better than Grant for months (for the Mavs).
60/21/10
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#44 » by Dirk » Thu Feb 15, 2024 4:21 pm

Liver_Pooty wrote:
Dirk wrote:

I don't care about the swap of players as much as I do the pick to be honest.

Exactly.

For the Hornets, it's almost irrelevant if Grant Williams didn't play very well. His contract isn't that terrible, he doesn't have to play at a very high level to 'justify' it.

That pick is a nice gamble. Honestly, it's hard for me to understand how the Mavs front office did that deal... I just feel like the Hornets would be just as happy if it was top 5 protected or something like that. Definitely a strange move... because PJ Washington wasn't playing great at all.
60/21/10
JMAC3
General Manager
And1: 4,165

Post#45 » by JMAC3 » Thu Feb 15, 2024 4:33 pm

Dirk wrote:

A bit ironic that you saying this but at the same time actively on another board looking at a Grant Williams thread?
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
JMAC3
General Manager
And1: 4,165

Post#46 » by JMAC3 » Thu Feb 15, 2024 4:37 pm

Prior to trade in Dallas Grant was getting 19 passes thrown to him a game, in Charlotte he is at 29 passes received.
PJ prior to trade was getting 29 passes in charlotte, now at 19 in Dallas.

So yeah the roles are different, some players are good at playing that brand of waiting in the corner, other guys need to be moving and being more active.

Anyone who has ever played pickup basketball knows if you aren't getting the ball on offense, your probably less active on defense by default.
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#47 » by Dirk » Thu Feb 15, 2024 4:37 pm

JMAC3 wrote:
Dirk wrote:

A bit ironic that you saying this but at the same time actively on another board looking at a Grant Williams thread?

It's perfectly normal to be curious about how a former player looks, but Kemba apparently was looking all over the web and mocking Mavs fans because they liked a guy or something, describing it as "copium" when the fans were on a 6 game win streak. I tried to provide context for those reactions (even if I disagree with the risk of the trade - I do not feel great about that trade at all, it's a gamble).

Ironically, I have a vested interest here, so this is why I stumbled upon the topic today as I was looking for Micic reactions.
60/21/10
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,659

Post#48 » by yosemiteben » Thu Feb 15, 2024 4:55 pm

Who knows how it will work out. There's no question that there was a leadership void here in Charlotte, and a guy that is scrappy and has a strong presence in the locker room was a welcome addition. Some of the things that probably made vets in Dallas annoyed with / resentful of him are positives when you plug him in on our roster, and it also makes sense that that positive synergy would also have a positive impact on his on-court performance.

With that said, we're three games in and it is totally possible that the honeymoon period ends and he turns into just a guy off the bench. Time will tell, but I like the hometown angle, the scrappiness, and the leadership potential.
SWedd523
RealGM
And1: 5,173

Post#49 » by SWedd523 » Thu Feb 15, 2024 7:44 pm

Dirk wrote:

So much so that he's lurking on an opposing fanbase's forum and injecting himself into the discussion on the trade

...Wait a minute
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#50 » by Dirk » Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:05 pm

SWedd523 wrote:
Dirk wrote:

So much so that he's lurking on an opposing fanbase's forum and injecting himself into the discussion on the trade

...Wait a minute

I exchanged posts directly with KembaW and already replied to another user that wrote exactly the same thing you just did. Maybe you missed it or you really think that's a witty comment.

Lurking on Realgm?

It takes two clicks to see team boards. Nothing wrong with that. It's one of the best features.

I'll see myself out now.
60/21/10
SWedd523
RealGM
And1: 5,173

Post#51 » by SWedd523 » Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:07 pm

I don't make a habit of hanging around any other team boards

I dunno, maybe I'm the outlier
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 17,833

Post#52 » by Diop » Thu Feb 15, 2024 11:49 pm

JMAC3 wrote:
Diop wrote:Their board have been pretty happy with Pj, especially his defense, during their win streak. it’s sort of a win/win trade.

Apart from that sweet draft pick 8-)

Luka and Kyrie shot 42 times, the other 3 starters each shot like 5 times. I said it when we got Grant, it is not a system for every player to find success. PJ is probably not loving the limited shot attempts thus far.

i actually dont think Pj would care that much, he's been called the "ultimate team player", probably because he's happy not taking shots. he doesn't have that hunger, which was one of my frustrations but probably suits in Dallas.
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#53 » by Diop » Thu Feb 15, 2024 11:53 pm

JMAC3 wrote:Prior to trade in Dallas Grant was getting 19 passes thrown to him a game, in Charlotte he is at 29 passes received.
PJ prior to trade was getting 29 passes in charlotte, now at 19 in Dallas.

So yeah the roles are different, some players are good at playing that brand of waiting in the corner, other guys need to be moving and being more active.

Anyone who has ever played pickup basketball knows if you aren't getting the ball on offense, your probably less active on defense by default.

I think we're in agreement, I don't expect PJ to crack it over how many times he gets the ball, while Williams clearly did and it affected his game.

the trade is honestly looking win/win player wise. Both fit their new team better. PJ can be a lock down defender, we did see it here on occasion
luciano-davidwesley
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,247

Post#54 » by luciano-davidwesley » Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:02 am

There's nothing wrong with stalking other teams boards from time to time. I'm guilty haha
JustBuzzin
Head Coach
And1: 5,677

Post#55 » by JustBuzzin » Fri Feb 16, 2024 1:17 am

Dirk wrote:
SWedd523 wrote:
Dirk wrote:

...Wait a minute

I exchanged posts directly with KembaW and already replied to another user that wrote exactly the same thing you just did. Maybe you missed it or you really think that's a witty comment.

Lurking on Realgm?

It takes two clicks to see team boards. Nothing wrong with that. It's one of the best features.

I'll see myself out now.
Dirk!

My man I usually come across you the GB. Lurking in a Grant Williams thread on the Hornets board is interesting.

How you doing friend? :D
doogie_hauser
Senior
And1: 801

Post#56 » by doogie_hauser » Sun Feb 18, 2024 4:41 am

Hi folks

Coming in peace as a Newbie to this forum, but I have always enjoyed watching Grant Williams when he was on the Celtics, definitely was a great glue guy and whose enthusiasm and sense of humour/jokes was great for team morale.

Sometimes he had bad stretches of games and has a few DNP or very limited minutes from the coach, but be never complained and was a vocal and fun cheer leader on the bench.

I would suggest Luka and The Mavs organisation probably didn't appreciate or get Grant's exuberant and extroverted personality (and that is okay) but he seems like he has found a real home and purpose back in his home state.

Will always be happy to see him play well and am delighted he has had a very solid start with The Hornets.

Just wait until he turns up at a press conference in Batman costume !!! :)
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#57 » by Diop » Sun Feb 18, 2024 8:15 am

JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 43,155

Post#58 » by JDR720 » Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:34 pm

PJ 4-10 for 12pts + 6rbs

Grant 7-16 for 24pts + 0rbs somehow.
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 43,155

Post#59 » by JDR720 » Fri Feb 23, 2024 2:59 pm

Read on Twitter
MPM
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,710

Post#60 » by MPM » Fri Feb 23, 2024 3:33 pm

“Just everything,” Bridges said. “Leadership, toughness, greater IQ, talk, all that. Everything that we needed. He’s been great for us. Hopefully, he can keep it going.”

Hopefully he can be our sane Draymond. Sane Draymond. New thread title?

Return to Charlotte Hornets