ImageImage

Mr Nice Guy: The Grant Williams Thread

Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

SWedd523
RealGM
And1: 5,182

Re: Welcome to Charlotte - Grant Williams 

Post#21 » by SWedd523 » Sun Feb 11, 2024 3:00 am

GoBobs wrote:Grant is a nice role player. PJ is a tier above and will probably have one all star season or something pretty close in the future.

Calm down, Sherry Washington
JustBuzzin
Head Coach
And1: 5,820

Post#22 » by JustBuzzin » Sun Feb 11, 2024 3:04 am

SWedd523 wrote:
GoBobs wrote:Grant is a nice role player. PJ is a tier above and will probably have one all star season or something pretty close in the future.

Calm down, Sherry Washington

Saying PJ will be a future all-star is WILD! :lol:
wilson115
Sixth Man
And1: 968

Post#23 » by wilson115 » Sun Feb 11, 2024 3:53 am

Diop wrote:I think PJ is more skilled and could be better, but for the role of coming off the bench, providing defense, physicality and defense, Williams suits so much more.

great get for us.

We haven't had a vocal leader on D since Marv. PJ just wasn't that kind of player. Hope Grant finally fills the void.

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 43,238

Post#24 » by JDR720 » Sun Feb 11, 2024 4:13 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
And1: 9,250

Post#25 » by amcoolio » Sun Feb 11, 2024 4:14 am

Now that I think about it he plays a lot like Draymond Green, without the passing
I don't support domestic violence. Thanks Miles
BliscoSantos
Rookie
And1: 686

Post#26 » by BliscoSantos » Sun Feb 11, 2024 4:16 am

Mavs fan here, don't worry I come in piece... glad to see Grant play good for you guys...I know we overpaid for PJ but Grant just wasn't working out for us (kind of like PJ for you)...his first 8 games were good but the next 40 he looked like Charles Barkley when the Monstars stole his talent...Guess he just didn't fit in...maybe this deal works Best for both teams ,though the Mavs are betting that the pick will be in the twenties..your team needed leadership,we needed more athletic players... Hopefully this experience (not playing in Boston,Dallas trading him half a season after signing) will humble Grant...he has an EGO that his Play can't back up
Bassman
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,526

Post#27 » by Bassman » Sun Feb 11, 2024 4:22 am

BliscoSantos wrote:Mavs fan here, don't worry I come in piece... glad to see Grant play good for you guys...I know we overpaid for PJ but Grant just wasn't working out for us (kind of like PJ for you)...his first 8 games were good but the next 40 he looked like Charles Barkley when the Monstars stole his talent...Guess he just didn't fit in...maybe this deal works Best for both teams ,though the Mavs are betting that the pick will be in the twenties..your team needed leadership,we needed more athletic players... Hopefully this experience (not playing in Boston,Dallas trading him half a season after signing) will humble Grant...he has an EGO that his Play can't back up

Sometimes it isn’t the right fit…sometimes a fresh restart helps a player. PJ seems to be a great guy and teammate. If he can stay motivated and give effort every game instead of once every 5th game he can be a good producer. Good luck.
I continue to wait...and hope...for the return to Hornet's glory.
BliscoSantos
Rookie
And1: 686

Post#28 » by BliscoSantos » Sun Feb 11, 2024 4:24 am

Bassman wrote:
BliscoSantos wrote:Mavs fan here, don't worry I come in piece... glad to see Grant play good for you guys...I know we overpaid for PJ but Grant just wasn't working out for us (kind of like PJ for you)...his first 8 games were good but the next 40 he looked like Charles Barkley when the Monstars stole his talent...Guess he just didn't fit in...maybe this deal works Best for both teams ,though the Mavs are betting that the pick will be in the twenties..your team needed leadership,we needed more athletic players... Hopefully this experience (not playing in Boston,Dallas trading him half a season after signing) will humble Grant...he has an EGO that his Play can't back up

Sometimes it isn’t the right fit…sometimes a fresh restart helps a player. PJ seems to be a great guy and teammate. If he can stay motivated and give effort every game instead of once every 5th game he can be a good producer. Good luck.

I agree...thx and same to you

Btw, I think you got a steal in Micic...the guy is really good, don't know why he didn't get a chance in OKC
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,059

Post#29 » by Liver_Pooty » Sun Feb 11, 2024 6:18 am

Grant dove for a loose ball 90 seconds into his first stint.

I like it.
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,643

Post#30 » by fatlever » Sun Feb 11, 2024 7:39 am

pj clearly has more talent. no question. grant seems to have all the intangibles pj didn't have. our team, right now, needs grant types more than pj types.
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#31 » by JDR720 » Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:18 am

2nd game:

PJ: 4/11 for 9pts, 5rbs, 3 assists

Grant: 6/12 for 21pts, 4rbs, 3 assists.
MasterIchiro
RealGM
And1: 5,343

Post#32 » by MasterIchiro » Thu Feb 15, 2024 3:26 am

Excited for this group to really show Charlotte that we have something. Get the people back."

"In the 90s/00s, Charlotte led the league in attendance. They were there cheering 'Let's Go Hornets', not the other team... playing for Boston, coming home, them screaming 'Let's Go Celtics/Mavericks'... it didn't piss me off at the time, playing for those teams, but it pisses me off now because I know what we can do."

"We haven't necessarily put the product out there yet, but I know that we're gonna do it for this city, this team, and I'm excited for these fans to really understand that the Hornets are gonna be back here really soon."
It has been written...
JustBuzzin
Head Coach
And1: 5,820

Post#33 » by JustBuzzin » Thu Feb 15, 2024 3:44 am

MasterIchiro wrote:Excited for this group to really show Charlotte that we have something. Get the people back."

"In the 90s/00s, Charlotte led the league in attendance. They were there cheering 'Let's Go Hornets', not the other team... playing for Boston, coming home, them screaming 'Let's Go Celtics/Mavericks'... it didn't piss me off at the time, playing for those teams, but it pisses me off now because I know what we can do."

"We haven't necessarily put the product out there yet, but I know that we're gonna do it for this city, this team, and I'm excited for these fans to really understand that the Hornets are gonna be back here really soon."

I told people he's gonna be the leader for this team. Helps even more that he is a hometown kid.
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#34 » by JDR720 » Thu Feb 15, 2024 6:24 am

3rd game

PJ 1-6 for 3pts with 6 rebounds.

Grant 7-12 for 15pts with 10 rebounds.
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 17,856

Post#35 » by Diop » Thu Feb 15, 2024 12:23 pm

Their board have been pretty happy with Pj, especially his defense, during their win streak. it’s sort of a win/win trade.

Apart from that sweet draft pick 8-)
KembaWalker
General Manager
And1: 10,854

Post#36 » by KembaWalker » Thu Feb 15, 2024 12:38 pm

Diop wrote:Their board have been pretty happy with Pj, especially his defense, during their win streak. it’s sort of a win/win trade.

They’re happy with PJs defense because they’re in extreme copium mode after assuring everyone Grant Williams was horrible while PJ stinks it up
JMAC3
General Manager
And1: 4,172

Post#37 » by JMAC3 » Thu Feb 15, 2024 3:02 pm

Diop wrote:Their board have been pretty happy with Pj, especially his defense, during their win streak. it’s sort of a win/win trade.

Luka and Kyrie shot 42 times, the other 3 starters each shot like 5 times. I said it when we got Grant, it is not a system for every player to find success. PJ is probably not loving the limited shot attempts thus far.
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,661

Post#38 » by yosemiteben » Thu Feb 15, 2024 3:18 pm

Read on Twitter

Well that don't suck
KembaWalker
General Manager
And1: 10,854

Post#39 » by KembaWalker » Thu Feb 15, 2024 3:26 pm

Funniest thing is Mavs Reddit is trying to sell themselves on PJ Washington of all people as a lockdown wing/big defender now that he’s doing the normal PJ disappearing act on offense

https://www.reddit.com/r/Mavericks/comments/1ar677m/pjail_washington/

I liked and vouched for PJs value despite their weird vitriolic hatred toward Grant and our FO but they are really setting themselves up for extreme disappointment

PJail :lol: :lol:
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 36,350

Post#40 » by Dirk » Thu Feb 15, 2024 3:53 pm

KembaWalker wrote:Funniest thing is Mavs Reddit is trying to sell themselves on PJ Washington of all people as a lockdown wing/big defender now that he’s doing the normal PJ disappearing act on offense

https://www.reddit.com/r/Mavericks/comments/1ar677m/pjail_washington/

I liked and vouched for PJs value despite their weird vitriolic hatred toward Grant and our FO but they are really setting themselves up for extreme disappointment

PJail :lol: :lol:

Don't you feel you're too invested on PJ Washington and how Mavs fans feel? :lol:

"Disappearing act on offense" when he is playing playing with Luka/Kyrie? All he needs to start doing is hitting his 3 pointers. He's not expected to do very much.

His 3 point shot looks iffy and if he were to suck all year, that would be quite terrible. But he's fluid attacking the basket, has made a couple of nice passes. He's obviously way more athletic than Williams and has been active on defense.

You don't seem to appreciate how much of an abomination Grant Williams was in Dallas. That is why you see the reactions... most fans just couldn't stand watching Williams. He couldn't hit a shot, fat, couldn't dribble, couldn't even catch a ball sometimes. It was really horrible.

I for one would still not have overrated and trade Williams is desperation and take a risk (the very lightly protected pick). So I wouldn't have made the trade. The Hornets made a good trade by default. I am just trying to give you the context as to why Mavs fans will feel good... simply because they do not have Williams on the team. Despite PJ Washington missing his 3 pointers... he's still been better for the Mavericks than Grant Williams was for the Mavericks --- this is not "copium". You would know if you had watching Grant Williams play in dallas.

The Grant Williams you saw for 3 games is obviously not the player that he was in Dallas for months. And there's no one to blame --- he also had a super hot start with the Mavs. I guess after a certain point with his struggles, he never was able to overcome it and confidence was lost, both by him and the franchise itself.

He surely can't be as bad as he was with the Mavs for an extended time, but I do figure that at certain points in the season, you will get a glimpse as to why the Mavs fans loathed him so much. For your sake, let's just hope it's just a game here and there.. and not weeks on top of weeks, which was what happened with the Mavs.
60/21/10

Return to Charlotte Hornets