ImageImage

It's Mann: The Tre Mann thread.

Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

MugzZo
Sixth Man
And1: 906

It's Mann: The Tre Mann thread. 

Post#1 » by MugzZo » Thu Feb 8, 2024 11:48 pm

I think he could be a gem for us. He's shown flashes in okc and has even put up a tripple double. He's automatically better than bouk and Bailey, and just turned 23. He can shoot and make plays, while being able to get to the hoop. I'm excited to have him in Charlotte. I think he can help more in the long run than curry, plus he fits the timeline.

Sent from my SM-F936U using RealGM mobile app
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 17,833

Re: It's Mann: The Tre Mann thread. 

Post#2 » by Diop » Fri Feb 9, 2024 12:00 am

HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,540

Post#3 » by HornetJail » Fri Feb 9, 2024 12:40 am

Mitch just can't help himself when it comes to defense-less shot chucking SGs lol

I don't love that he's owed $5M next year.
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
luciano-davidwesley
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,247

Post#4 » by luciano-davidwesley » Fri Feb 9, 2024 12:43 am

He's on a standard rookie first round contract with restricted free agency scheduled for 2025/26.

He'll be on $4.908 million next season in the final year of his rookie scale deal. He will then go to RFA or the qualifying offer if we pick up that option.

I don't think this is neccesarily as good of a get as some here seem to be convinced. He's very much a throw in and if he turns into anything decent that is probably a pleasant surprise at this stage. That said he is definitely young enough to surprise.
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 43,133

Post#5 » by JDR720 » Fri Feb 9, 2024 1:26 am

MugzZo
Sixth Man
And1: 906

Post#6 » by MugzZo » Fri Feb 9, 2024 1:52 am

JDR720 wrote:
If he can bring just some of that to the the our backcourt we got s solid player.

Sent from my SM-F936U using RealGM mobile app
JMAC3
General Manager
And1: 4,164

Post#7 » by JMAC3 » Fri Feb 9, 2024 4:58 am

Not ready to write him off, very talented dude. Never really got a full shot in okc because they were just loaded with talent especially at guard.

He could be a bust but I think he will add some excitement this year at least. Probably will have a few 20 point outtings.
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 43,133

Post#8 » by JDR720 » Fri Feb 9, 2024 5:03 am

He seems like another Maledon.

Fairly productive rookie season at OKC and then he's declined ever sense because they signed/drafted better players and he lost his spot.
wilson115
Sixth Man
And1: 968

Post#9 » by wilson115 » Fri Feb 9, 2024 7:16 am

Lots of OKC fans saying they'll miss him. Tons of appreciation posts.

Read on Twitter

Spoiler:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Snidely FC
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,141

Post#10 » by Snidely FC » Fri Feb 9, 2024 12:38 pm

Yeah this trade is a bit miraculous in that we all thought Gordon was heading for a buyout…

It's just that I have to laugh because it is so emblematic of the outgoing Kupchak's time in Charlotte

This roster desperately needed a big defensive guard. Someone in the archetype of Josh Green, who we were rumored to be pursuing in the PJ Washington rumors.

But this return features Tre Mann, another undersized combo guard (he's a point guard I swear!) who might be a big time scorer, might be a playmaker, but for sure won't ever be an average or above average defender

We fans are most excited about Mann, as he seems a shiny young thing. I know I can't wait to see him play big minutes with LaMelo on the sideline, and show us what he can do...

Except, apropos of Kupchak's reign, the same trade brought a veteran, Vasa Micic, who will block Mann's playing time. And that is the key: This team must block its young guards with veterans, because you can only make the play-in game with veterans baby!

Clifford is going to give Micic all of those minutes that should be going to the young Mann, and the team is likely to look less helpless, and is more likely to win just enough games to drop from a Top 5 pick to the late lottery

while we all scratch out heads and wonder, why didn't that Tre Mann kid pan out...

going for the reverse jinx here, fingers crossed
dmutombo321
Sixth Man
And1: 365

Post#11 » by dmutombo321 » Fri Feb 9, 2024 12:54 pm

The fact that he logged the triple double game with 13 assists while playing PG is encouraging. I hope the higher ups give cliff a mandate to slot him at PG bc that's really where we could use him long term... The ball handing is certainly there. Play making chops are the question.

Hell, start him a few games and give him 36 minutes a night there just to see what we've got... Not like it matters whether or not we give away wins at this juncture..

Sent from my motorola edge (2021) using RealGM mobile app
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#12 » by Diop » Fri Feb 9, 2024 1:58 pm

I like Mann, but I’m team micic for now.
I can see them both getting playing time anyhow. Especially this season
Bassman
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,525

Post#13 » by Bassman » Fri Feb 9, 2024 2:10 pm

I’m excited to see how Mann and Micic can bring improvement to the backcourt from our previous disorder. I mean kudos to Ish for his experience and help, but he’s now appropriately retired. Until Melo gets back it’s Mann or Micic driving the bus.
I continue to wait...and hope...for the return to Hornet's glory.
JMAC3
General Manager
And1: 4,164

Post#14 » by JMAC3 » Fri Feb 9, 2024 2:22 pm

Snidely FC wrote:Yeah this trade is a bit miraculous in that we all thought Gordon was heading for a buyout…

It's just that I have to laugh because it is so emblematic of the outgoing Kupchak's time in Charlotte

This roster desperately needed a big defensive guard. Someone in the archetype of Josh Green, who we were rumored to be pursuing in the PJ Washington rumors.

But this return features Tre Mann, another undersized combo guard (he's a point guard I swear!) who might be a big time scorer, might be a playmaker, but for sure won't ever be an average or above average defender

We fans are most excited about Mann, as he seems a shiny young thing. I know I can't wait to see him play big minutes with LaMelo on the sideline, and show us what he can do...

Except, apropos of Kupchak's reign, the same trade brought a veteran, Vasa Micic, who will block Mann's playing time. And that is the key: This team must block its young guards with veterans, because you can only make the play-in game with veterans baby!

Clifford is going to give Micic all of those minutes that should be going to the young Mann, and the team is likely to look less helpless, and is more likely to win just enough games to drop from a Top 5 pick to the late lottery

while we all scratch out heads and wonder, why didn't that Tre Mann kid pan out...

going for the reverse jinx here, fingers crossed

If Micic can turn this team from 4th worst to late lottery that is an amazing pickup lol. Dude must be a stud hahaha
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,625

Post#15 » by fatlever » Sun Feb 11, 2024 7:16 am

first glance, probably better all-around player than nsj. certainly miles better passer and better putting pressure on rim. looks a little bigger as well. micic/mann/curry was really a killer for nsj
wilson115
Sixth Man

Post#16 » by wilson115 » Mon Feb 12, 2024 3:59 am

Micic should start next to LaMelo, but Tre could be just as valuable in the long run. Haven't had a point guard rotation in forever.

Read on Twitter
Bassman
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,525

Post#17 » by Bassman » Mon Feb 12, 2024 4:27 am

fatlever wrote:first glance, probably better all-around player than nsj. certainly miles better passer and better putting pressure on rim. looks a little bigger as well. micic/mann/curry was really a killer for nsj

I think all acknowledge that Junior needs a lot more training, development and time to realize his fullest potential, whatever that may be. With our additions, he can back down the pressure to produce, use practice and the occasional sessions with coaching to refine his weak spots. Agree Mann could and should continue to improve while already showcasing better skills. NSJ and the other former contributors will have to work hard to keep their jobs, as they should.
I continue to wait...and hope...for the return to Hornet's glory.
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#18 » by Diop » Mon Feb 12, 2024 4:32 am

His head must have been spinning, "Hi Tre, welcome to Charlotte you're starting tonight."
Wait, what?? I'm averaging like 9 minutes a game.
"Not here young fella, here's the reins, off ya go."

The OKC guys must be loving it.
MasterIchiro
RealGM
And1: 5,340

Post#19 » by MasterIchiro » Mon Feb 12, 2024 7:57 am

Bassman wrote:
fatlever wrote:first glance, probably better all-around player than nsj. certainly miles better passer and better putting pressure on rim. looks a little bigger as well. micic/mann/curry was really a killer for nsj

I think all acknowledge that Junior needs a lot more training, development and time to realize his fullest potential, whatever that may be. With our additions, he can back down the pressure to produce, use practice and the occasional sessions with coaching to refine his weak spots. Agree Mann could and should continue to improve while already showcasing better skills. NSJ and the other former contributors will have to work hard to keep their jobs, as they should.

I'd dump Cody Martin (who sucks) before burying a sniper like Nick Smith Jr. through his rookie contract.

Mann looks like he's not going anywhere in restricted free agency following next season. He looks like a keeper, critical longterm core piece as one of the game's most formidable PG2.

LaMelo - Micic - Mann is so tough as a PG rotation.

Make the right pick (Nikola Topic) and we're set up for a whopping consolidation move. We will never bleed talent like OKC, but we didn't have Durant, Russell, Paul George as a starting point either.

The Hornets did a commendable job mining PG2 talent in the Hayward trade, turning a sidelined video game addict Bible Thumper Pillsbury Dough Boy into 2 players who could contribute in a playoff level rotation, plus 2 second round picks sprinkled over the deal as sweeteners? Added to the mix when the dessert already came with a cherry on top?

Delectable.

Doesn't feel like there's much separation other than age between Micic and Giddey or maybe I'm high? Mann looks like he will one day win a starting spot somewhere.

Hayward's career is ending.
It has been written...
wilson115
Sixth Man

Post#20 » by wilson115 » Mon Feb 12, 2024 12:08 pm

Honestly think they traded for Seth Curry with NSJ in mind. Think the last game was Cliff telling the youngsters to sit back and watch how the pros get it done. Fully expect NSJ gets minutes eventually, up to him to learn from one of the best professional gunslingers of this NBA era.

On another note, really encouraging to see our new back-up point guard find a rapport this quickly with our back-up center.

Return to Charlotte Hornets