Total votes: 28

JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 43,387

Grade the deadline 

Post#1 » by JDR720 » Fri Feb 9, 2024 1:12 am

So, we had a pretty eventful day.

Traded Gordon for Trae Mann, Bertans and Vasilije Micic + couple 2nd round picks.

Traded PJ to Dallas for Grant Williams, Seth Curry and a 1st round pick.

Did not trade Lowry. So far we've cut Bouknight. Need to make a couple more moves to free up roster spots.
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,585

Re: Grade the deadline 

Post#2 » by HornetJail » Fri Feb 9, 2024 1:18 am

PJ to Dallas was a solid A trade. there's enough upside in a Mavs pick. Grant Williams is probably a bit overpaid but worth playing and the kind of player you generally want around no matter what stage of building your team. Seth Curry... I mean, it's a Curry, I'm happy whether or not he's a bad player.

I've soured a bit on the Hayward move... Micic needs to be a pretty damn good backup PG in order for this trade to even come out to a wash. Assuming Bertans is waived after the season, we will be paying $17.5M next season for Micic's services and for Mann to be yet another fringe scoring guard that can't do anything else. Gotta nail the 2nds for this to even be a neutral value package, and then that's not even getting into Hayward's actual abilities when he does play. OKC really just dumped a ton of leftovers on our doorstep.

I'm still giving the deadline a B, but this team is probably going to be unwatchable the rest of the way.
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#3 » by JDR720 » Fri Feb 9, 2024 1:34 am

The PJ trade is a solid A. Williams is equal to PJ and he's cheaper. Plus we get a top shooter and a 1st.

The Gordon trade is a C. Trae is better than Bouknight, but he's just another combo guard that we don't really need. Bertans is a good depth shooter, his contract isn't fully guaranteed either so he could be moved on from pretty easily if he doesn't shoot well enough. Micic will hopefully be a good steady backup PG for us.

One other thing that gets a high mark is we now actually have some solid veterans. Williams is a good guy to have, think he has a higher role in the NBAPA. He's also from Charlotte, which is nice. Seth too, another Charlotte native who's good in the locker room. Micic is a former Euroleague MVP, so I assume he's pretty steady too. Bertans is the captain of Latvia's national team, so maybe he's good too. That all gets an A.

Overall, a high B. Maybe an A depending on how the Gordon trade turns out.
SWedd523
RealGM
And1: 5,206

Post#4 » by SWedd523 » Fri Feb 9, 2024 2:23 am

I don't get the mediocre Gordo trade grades. Dude played about half the season every year and we were talking about the possibility of just cutting him for nothing.

Getting anything worthwhile for him is a win
luciano-davidwesley
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,263

Post#5 » by luciano-davidwesley » Fri Feb 9, 2024 2:45 am

[/quote="SWedd523"]I don't get the mediocre Gordo trade grades. Dude played about half the season every year and we were talking about the possibility of just cutting him for nothing.

Getting anything worthwhile for him is a win[/quote]
I guess we committed future money for some pretty meh guys for our expiring contract. Hard to be super in love with the trade unless Micic or Mann ball out. Bertans is pure dead weight.
SWedd523
RealGM
And1: 5,206

Post#6 » by SWedd523 » Fri Feb 9, 2024 3:05 am

They'll have comfortably the league's lowest salary commitment after cutting Lowry and Micic/Mann make a combined $13mil. That's kinda chump change in the world where PJ Washington makes $16mil per year by himself
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,108

Post#7 » by Liver_Pooty » Fri Feb 9, 2024 3:43 am

SWedd523 wrote:I don't get the mediocre Gordo trade grades. Dude played about half the season every year and we were talking about the possibility of just cutting him for nothing.

Getting anything worthwhile for him is a win

No joke. Getting assets for Hayward is as good or better than the PJ trade. Lol
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
Rich4114
RealGM
And1: 4,201

Post#8 » by Rich4114 » Fri Feb 9, 2024 4:05 am

The real prize of this deadline is the fact that we now have two future first round picks in the war chest. Those picks plus our own can be packaged for a difference maker some day.

I just wish we were able to trade Richards though
Ozymandias
Freshman
And1: 19

Post#9 » by Ozymandias » Fri Feb 9, 2024 4:34 am

I'm not so high on these moves. I'd rather have let Hayward's contract expire and use that money in the offseason than take on OKC's dead weight. I feel like the trade was short sighted and made due to our current lack of guard depth. I'd like to be proven wrong, but I don't see either Mann or Micic becoming long term answers for us.

Getting the first round pick from Dallas is the only thing that salvages this deadline. Not as high on Grant Williams as some others on this board. Guy got overrated playing for Boston. Not good offensively, not good defensively. Good locker room guy? I don't know, maybe? He didn't seem to help Dallas in that regard. There is a reason Dallas was desperate to get rid of him that they packaged a lightly protected 1rp with him. I have a feeling we'll be trying to figure out ways to unload him to another team next year.

Seth Curry from a few years ago would be exciting but he's washed now.

If not for the first round pick, this deadline would be a D. But the lightly protected first from Dallas bumps it up to a low B. It all depends on what ultimately happens with that pick to determine how good that trade actually is for us.
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#10 » by JDR720 » Fri Feb 9, 2024 5:28 am

I think we traded the OKC 2nds to Dallas in the PJ trade.

I don't have much hope for Mann, he doesn't seem better than our other combo guards. Bertans will probably be waived to get more cap space in the offseason.

So in the end, it's basically Gordon for Micic. He hasn't been played much this season, but he seems to be a smart player who can pass.

He's a former Euroleague MVP too. So he at least has a much better resume that our typical backup PG's.

If he can average 10/5 on decent percentages, the Gordon trade will turn out good. If not, well, at least he's pretty cheap.
Snidely FC
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,164

Post#11 » by Snidely FC » Fri Feb 9, 2024 12:48 pm

Dan Devine, Yahoo Sports:
Winner: Charlotte Hornets
Sure, there might not be any parades through the Queen City for what Mitch Kupchak and the Hornets’ new ownership pulled off here. But the Hornets looked at the state of affairs in a circling-the-drain season, took a deep breath, swallowed hard and did the next right thing — plan for tomorrow today.

Shipping Rozier to Miami brought back a protected 2027 first-round pick. Moving Washington to Dallas brought back another, with that wafer-thin top-two protection. Hayward-to-OKC nabbed a pair of second-rounders. None of that will make the prospect of watching the next couple of months any more exciting; luckily, that’s what Brandon Miller is for. And the moves of the last couple of days set the Hornets up to better surround Miller — and a hopefully healthy LaMelo Ball, center Mark Williams and possibly a re-signed Miles Bridges — with the kind of talent that might be able to render seasons like this one a distant memory as the Hornets turn at long last toward a sustainably competitive future.

(I know, I know. But dare to dream!)
Bassman
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,556

Post#12 » by Bassman » Fri Feb 9, 2024 1:58 pm

The picks will help in the future. The players received are already better than some of the trash we quickly dumped. The results (whatever they are) won’t come over the next 3 months, but the process toward rebuilding starts now. I graded these a solid B.
Hornets new ownership picked a path…good for them. Reportedly they drove this and bypassed Mitch (per quote on another thread provided by Fatlever). Now the path forward is pretty clear:

1. New GM by end of season, new coach soon thereafter.
2. Make a quality draft pick from a low quality draft.
3. Negotiate deal with Miles to either return or sign and trade for another starting PF.
4. Develop new organization, culture and expectations to a high level.
I continue to wait...and hope...for the return to Hornet's glory.
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#13 » by JDR720 » Fri Feb 9, 2024 2:20 pm

I do like that we're slowly turning our entire team into "M's"

Melo
Mann
Miller
Miles
Mark
Micic
Mensah
Martin
McGowans
Williams (upside down M)
Rich4114
RealGM
And1: 4,201

Grade the deadline 

Post#14 » by Rich4114 » Fri Feb 9, 2024 2:25 pm

We have cap room for this summer but with the extra we would’ve had from just letting Hayward walk, who were we signing that we now can’t?
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#15 » by JDR720 » Fri Feb 9, 2024 2:31 pm

Davis Mertans.

Seth Murry.

JT Mhor

Meaky Black.

Mick Jr.

Mick Richards.

James Mmaji.

Amari Mailey.

Legit half of those sound like real people.
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#16 » by JDR720 » Fri Feb 9, 2024 2:36 pm

Read on Twitter

Scott Mowler article.
JMAC3
RealGM
And1: 4,261

Post#17 » by JMAC3 » Fri Feb 9, 2024 2:46 pm

I will give it a B, it lacks young players with upside outside of Mann which is why I am not giving it an A.

Rozier for 27 1st and Lowry. I will give that deal a C+. Wish we could of gotten a bit more value since we had to ultimately buy Lowry out for nothing.

PJ and 2 2nds for 27 1st, Grant, Curry. I will give that deal an A. That was more than I thought we would get. We replace PJ in rotation with the chances of striking gold in future with virtually unprotected pick. Curry is awesome for media. Didn't have to take back Holmes or Kleber.

Hayward for Mann, Micic, Bertans and 2 2nds. This deal I will give a B. We took back more money in the deal than I would have liked, but overall I think we added some real NBA depth to the bench. Which allowed us to cut the worst of our roster which might be my favorite part. Bertans contract is a very interesting trade piece that I am sure I will go on and on for the next few months over. The 2nd we got here was 40th, and the 2nd we moved to Dallas was 60th so a nice 20 pick jump between the two deals.

We improved in the short-term IMO because PJ was only guy playing and we now have 5 new guys. 4 picks for the future and I think at least 2 rotation pieces moving forward in Williams and 1 of the oKC guards.
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,552

Post#18 » by LofJ » Fri Feb 9, 2024 2:47 pm

I grade the deadline as a solid A.

We moved 3 players that didn't move the needle and weren't providing the leadership we need for 2 lightly protected future firsts and several veterans that should positively impact the locker-room.

We now have a real path to make an impact trade down the road. That path wasn't there a few weeks ago, I think that's a huge positive development.
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,712

Post#19 » by fatlever » Fri Feb 9, 2024 3:08 pm

I'm pretty much in line with jmac on grading the trades. Overall B. I'm not in love with okc trade, because we've been burned so many times by Mann types. Micic is the wildcard for me.

And honestly, I d consider keeping bertans next year unless a solid pg or c is willing to sign with that space. I like idea of having floor spacers all around Melo. Gives us a big who can shoot, something different to mark, nick, etc...

Sent from my SM-G973U using RealGM mobile app
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#20 » by JDR720 » Fri Feb 9, 2024 4:16 pm

Read on Twitter

Return to Charlotte Hornets