Re: 2024 Offseason Thread 

Post#121 » by SWedd523 » Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:56 pm

I like Grant. We need that personality
MPM
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,720

Post#122 » by MPM » Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:27 pm

Yeah, Grant's the type of guy you hold on to. Reasonable contract, bench sparkplug/swiss army knife, with toughness, good leadership, and ties to the community. Would be happy to have him around for a long time. This said - even if I were a bit lower on him, Huerter ain't moving the trade needle.
JMAC3
General Manager
And1: 4,201

Post#123 » by JMAC3 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:22 pm

Trading a rotation piece and 2 firsts for Trey Murphy? He is averaging 9 ppg the last 2 playoff games while playing 41 mpg while Pelicans have lost by 53 pts.

Hard to sell me he is a difference maker looking at that.
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
MasterIchiro
RealGM
And1: 5,347

Post#124 » by MasterIchiro » Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:36 pm

JMAC3 wrote:Trading a rotation piece and 2 firsts for Trey Murphy? He is averaging 9 ppg the last 2 playoff games while playing 41 mpg while Pelicans have lost by 53 pts.

Hard to sell me he is a difference maker looking at that.

He's a high end glue guy. I don't think he should cost significantly more than former Pelican Josh Hart. He's a better shooter but worse at other areas like rebounding.

I highly doubt the Pelicans plan to build around Trey Murphy III any more than they wanted to build around Josh Hart.
It has been written...
JMAC3
General Manager

Post#125 » by JMAC3 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:40 pm

Pelicans might be more aggressive for a guy like Dejounte Murray this summer but I highly doubt trading players for future draft picks is really their #1 priority. The need more playmaking in their starting lineup, I could see them trading Ingram but it would be a for a lead guard. They also have additional picks they can include already.
Big Board
MasterIchiro
RealGM
And1: 5,347

Post#126 » by MasterIchiro » Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:55 pm

JMAC3 wrote:Pelicans might be more aggressive for a guy like Dejounte Murray this summer but I highly doubt trading players for future draft picks is really their #1 priority. The need more playmaking in their starting lineup, I could see them trading Ingram but it would be a for a lead guard. They also have additional picks they can include already.

Ingram for Murray might be a good swap for them. Never believed in Dyson Daniels.
It has been written...
JMAC3
General Manager

Post#127 » by JMAC3 » Mon May 6, 2024 6:58 pm

The Hornets are nowhere near close enough from a talent standpoint to compete in todays NBA. I think we have some really talented players and I am not saying we shouldn't value them but if you actually look at the majority of teams in the NBA. We still are near the bottom from a top tier talent standpoint. Adding role players will help, but realistically we are not good enough to just add in the margins and expect to all of a sudden be good. We still need a massive talent upgrade.
Big Board
JMAC3
General Manager

Post#128 » by JMAC3 » Mon May 6, 2024 7:04 pm

JMAC3 wrote:The Hornets are nowhere near close enough from a talent standpoint to compete in todays NBA. I think we have some really talented players and I am not saying we shouldn't value them but if you actually look at the majority of teams in the NBA. We still are near the bottom from a top tier talent standpoint. Adding role players will help, but realistically we are not good enough to just add in the margins and expect to all of a sudden be good. We still need a massive talent upgrade.

Just look at the East.

Boston- Tatum, Brown, KP, White, Jrue
Philly- Embiid, Maxey (Butler/PG13)
Milwaukee- Giannis, Dame, Middleton
Orlando- Paolo
Knicks- Brunson
Cavs- Mitchell, Mobley, Garland
Pacers- Haliburton, Siakam
Miami- Bam, Butler, Herro

It is great we have Miller, Melo as building blocks but every team in the East has 1 if not 2 players better than our best players.

It is the same out west with SGA, Jokic, Ant, Booker, Luka.

Maybe Miller becomes a borderline top 25 guy in 1-2 yrs, but that is still not really doing much vs most of these teams. In order for us to actually compete Miller or Melo need to be a borderline top 10-15 player. or at the very least we have to add another 25-40 player around them. Trading the pick for some fringe starter that doesn't sniff the top 60 players in the league isn't doing anything for us.
Big Board
EmpireFalls
Starter
And1: 3,450

Post#129 » by EmpireFalls » Mon May 6, 2024 7:05 pm

The absolute last thing we should do is try and “win now”.
JMAC3
General Manager

Post#130 » by JMAC3 » Mon May 6, 2024 7:08 pm

I would be more on board with this hit a double in a weak draft if we had a true star on the team right now but we don't.

If we had Jokic/Murray... Luka/Irving... SGA/Jdub... then yeah you can afford to play a guy that just fits in like a Dort, PJ, KCP type because you are already better than your opponent at the top.

For the Hornets trying to insert role players around Melo, Miller is a losing strategy. Those two are going to be worse than the opponents top 2 so we can't afford to just play role players like the top teams can.
Big Board
JMAC3
General Manager

Post#131 » by JMAC3 » Mon May 6, 2024 7:11 pm

We need to be swinging for upside... we can try to find role players once we are picking in the 10-20 range. Or we can trade the Mavs/Heat picks for those role players. The chance to add guys that have all-star ceilings is what you do inside the top 3-4 picks.
Big Board
SWedd523
RealGM
And1: 5,193

Post#132 » by SWedd523 » Mon May 6, 2024 9:15 pm

EmpireFalls wrote:The absolute last thing we should do is try and “win now”.

Well that's one thing Charlotte can accomplish.

We're actively allergic to winning anything

"Next year, just you wait!"
EmpireFalls
Starter
And1: 3,450

Post#133 » by EmpireFalls » Mon May 6, 2024 9:21 pm

JMAC3 wrote:We need to be swinging for upside... we can try to find role players once we are picking in the 10-20 range. Or we can trade the Mavs/Heat picks for those role players. The chance to add guys that have all-star ceilings is what you do inside the top 3-4 picks.

Who even are those players, though?

I did this exercise back in February and basically came up with no one. I’m serious, I think it is more likely zero players from the class actually become All-Stars than multiple do. Sarr’s big value will be defense and imo he can put up numbers but won’t ever be the shooter or Giannis type foul baiting machine that gets 25 a night.

Dilly ironically is probably the most likely just off great scoring and passing but he’s an awful fit on this team for numerous reasons. Holland maybe if he hits but on this team, next to Miller, I’d still want Miller getting 65% of the wing initiator looks just because of talent. Castle, Clingan, Risacher won’t ever be the scorers needed to make an AS team.

Sheppard imo is the wild card. Oh and Topic but I would be shocked with a capital S if we took him.

So maybe there isn’t even a star upside at all.
JMAC3
General Manager

Post#134 » by JMAC3 » Mon May 6, 2024 9:29 pm

EmpireFalls wrote:
JMAC3 wrote:We need to be swinging for upside... we can try to find role players once we are picking in the 10-20 range. Or we can trade the Mavs/Heat picks for those role players. The chance to add guys that have all-star ceilings is what you do inside the top 3-4 picks.

I did this exercise back in February and basically came up with no one. I’m serious, I think it is more likely zero players from the class actually become All-Stars than multiple do. Sarr’s big value will be defense and imo he can put up numbers but won’t ever be the shooter or Giannis type foul baiting machine that gets 25 a night.

Dilly ironically is probably the most likely just off great scoring and passing but he’s an awful fit on this team for numerous reasons. Holland maybe if he hits but on this team, next to Miller, I’d still want Miller getting 65% of the wing initiator looks just because of talent. Castle, Clingan, Risacher won’t ever be the scorers needed to make an AS team.

Sheppard imo is the wild card. Oh and Topic but I would be shocked with a capital S if we took him.

Every draft from 1996-2020 has at least 3 allstars. The average is 5.5 allstars per draft. IDC how bad everyone thinks this draft is, there will be several allstars drafted. Most like in the top 10...

over the last 10 drafts. 30 allstars were taken inside the top 10...

I agree it is hard to know which of the 3 guys inside the top 10 will be allstars, but it is very very very very very unlikely none of them turn into allstars.
Big Board
luciano-davidwesley
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,257

Post#135 » by luciano-davidwesley » Mon May 6, 2024 9:44 pm

JMAC3 wrote:
EmpireFalls wrote:

Every draft from 1996-2020 has at least 3 allstars. The average is 5.5 allstars per draft. IDC how bad everyone thinks this draft is, there will be several allstars drafted. Most like in the top 10...

over the last 10 drafts. 30 allstars were taken inside the top 10...

I agree it is hard to know which of the 3 guys inside the top 10 will be allstars, but it is very very very very very unlikely none of them turn into allstars.

Yep the narrative about this draft being weak has overtaken the draft itself.

I can easily see Topic, Sarr, Sheppard and possibly Holland being fantastic pros. I'm also sure a couple of other mid to late firsts will surprise people too as is almost always the case.
JMAC3
General Manager

Post#136 » by JMAC3 » Mon May 6, 2024 10:23 pm

I don't know who the allstars are and I feel like most don't hence the good/bad draft debate. It is easy to label the draft a good draft if you feel confident that the first 2/3 players drafted will be an allstar regardless of how you feel about players 4-10.

The 2017 draft is a good example. Fultz and Ball haven't been worth the pick but Tatum at pick 3, Fox at 5, Markkanen at 7 is 3 allstars and that year was probably seen as weaker because again there wasn't a super easy choice at #1.

Where is 2019 was a great draft because Zion and Ja felt like great bets to be allstars at 1/2. That draft has 3 allstars in the top 10 (Garland). While 6-10 were pretty big disappointments.
Big Board

Return to Charlotte Hornets