GT: Charlotte vs Grizz 2/10 7PM EST

Moderators: yosemiteben, BigSlam, JDR720, Diop, fatlever

Bassman
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,556

Re: GT: Charlotte vs Grizz 2/10 7PM EST 

Post#141 » by Bassman » Sun Feb 11, 2024 4:36 pm

MasterIchiro wrote:
SWedd523 wrote:Cliff's time here needs to be done. As does Mitch and every other nepotism holdover from the previous regime.

Top to bottom changeover. One win where the feel-good meter is high because the new guys played well and Crash was in the building doesn't change a thing.

Look, the GM reallocated money owed Rozier and Hayward that limited the bench to shoestring budget players like McGowens, Thor, Ish, Mensah, Leaky Black.

I do agree we need a new coach who can implement a ball movement modern offense, but I would like to see how LaMelo, Miles, Miller, Mark, NSJ and 2024 lottery pick look playing with a real bench that we can suddenly afford instead of the above mentioned group who I believe weighed down the core talent in the wake of all the injuries. They muddied the waters on any clear, clean assessment of the GM who brought together these new bench upgrades and draft capital that surely augments the core talent.

I think LaMelo can become a star.

Miller looks like one as well.

Miles can win an All-Star spot with his talent at some point, if Julius Randle can. Miles is a smarter version of him and a better athlete who can dual as a full-court threat.

Mark starting over Nick getting feeds from Mcic or Mann instead of Frank or Ish.

Nick C2 over Mensah.

Grant Williams a strong, tough small-ball 5 and leader over soft (albeit superior skilled) PJ Wsdhington who keeps his mouth shut.

Mcic running the bench over Rozier.

Bertans spacing instead of Thor iso.

Tre Mann as your connective scorer instead of ballstopper and dummy Bryce McGowens and irredeemable bad attitude Bouknight.

We're loaded with picks and core talent (including Mann from the infamous 2021 draft).

OKC and Dallas were sitting on a mountain of undervalued assets.

Kupchak is a criminal.

All great observations and yes our upcoming team, if healthy, should make some noise. Where I disagree is on retaining Clifford (there are better coaches available now with more proven records) and your assumptions on Mitch. I don’t doubt Mitch had good input and worked the team contacts; per multiple sources the owners oversaw all actions and used outside consultants for guidance. None of us will actually know who did what, but assigning Mitch the title of architect on this is too gracious. Also feel he needs to retire at seasons end.
I continue to wait...and hope...for the return to Hornet's glory.
Hornet Mania
General Manager
And1: 7,474

Post#142 » by Hornet Mania » Sun Feb 11, 2024 4:46 pm

I went to sleep after the game and woke up to people seriously discussing Cliff keeping his job. C'mon y'all, he's a bad coach and a known commodity. It was one really fun game.

I don't mind letting him ride out the rest of the year, because what would be the point of firing him now anyway? But I absolutely do not want him back next year. He can go out with some dignity in the offseason but all he's earned is a nice press release about how we appreciate his time and wishing him well in his future endeavors.

Letting Cliff coach in 24-25 is basically punting next season too. That would be one more year we have to wait to integrate the young guys into the system of whoever takes over as the next HC. Rip the band-aid off this summer and turn the page. We've got a high pick, some salary flexibility and now a bunch of nifty role players to deploy. This is the most attractive the Hornets HC position has been in awhile, let's strike now.
MasterIchiro
RealGM
And1: 5,399

Post#143 » by MasterIchiro » Sun Feb 11, 2024 5:02 pm

Bassman wrote:
MasterIchiro wrote:
SWedd523 wrote:Cliff's time here needs to be done. As does Mitch and every other nepotism holdover from the previous regime.

Top to bottom changeover. One win where the feel-good meter is high because the new guys played well and Crash was in the building doesn't change a thing.

Look, the GM reallocated money owed Rozier and Hayward that limited the bench to shoestring budget players like McGowens, Thor, Ish, Mensah, Leaky Black.

I do agree we need a new coach who can implement a ball movement modern offense, but I would like to see how LaMelo, Miles, Miller, Mark, NSJ and 2024 lottery pick look playing with a real bench that we can suddenly afford instead of the above mentioned group who I believe weighed down the core talent in the wake of all the injuries. They muddied the waters on any clear, clean assessment of the GM who brought together these new bench upgrades and draft capital that surely augments the core talent.

I think LaMelo can become a star.

Miller looks like one as well.

Miles can win an All-Star spot with his talent at some point, if Julius Randle can. Miles is a smarter version of him and a better athlete who can dual as a full-court threat.

Mark starting over Nick getting feeds from Mcic or Mann instead of Frank or Ish.

Nick C2 over Mensah.

Grant Williams a strong, tough small-ball 5 and leader over soft (albeit superior skilled) PJ Wsdhington who keeps his mouth shut.

Mcic running the bench over Rozier.

Bertans spacing instead of Thor iso.

Tre Mann as your connective scorer instead of ballstopper and dummy Bryce McGowens and irredeemable bad attitude Bouknight.

We're loaded with picks and core talent (including Mann from the infamous 2021 draft).

OKC and Dallas were sitting on a mountain of undervalued assets.

Kupchak is a criminal.

All great observations and yes our upcoming team, if healthy, should make some noise. Where I disagree is on retaining Clifford (there are better coaches available now with more proven records) and your assumptions on Mitch. I don’t doubt Mitch had good input and worked the team contacts; per multiple sources the owners oversaw all actions and used outside consultants for guidance. None of us will actually know who did what, but assigning Mitch the title of architect on this is too gracious. Also feel he needs to retire at seasons end.

The consultants assisted Mitch, but the calls and. negotiations ran through him. Before the new owners ever finalized their purchase, Kupchak said the team needed to add vet leadership, which media in turn took as a referendum on Rozier and Hayward, forcing Kupchak to walk it back.

Last offseason, when ownership transferred they could've released funds for Kupchak to use the MLE. But they didn't spend the money. So even if Kupchak wanted to place a bid on say...Ayo Dosunmu, he couldn't. He was left with a nonguaranteed slot for Ntilikina who promptly suffered longterm injury on top of all the other injuries to both longterm core assets (LaMelo, Mark, the bookends of Kupchak's draft-and-develop roster) and short term peripheral pieces (Gordon, Terry, PJ, NicRic, Martin).

Kupchak walked away with all long term core assets and added longterm cap and loosely protected picks the next front office can leverage in augmentation of the core in the coming years.

All thanks to the hedge fund managers and their consultants?

I don't **** think so.

We just need to let this flimsy, toxic narrative die.

In the meantime, I'm ghosting it.

In Kupchak's first act, he unloaded Kemba's bum knee on scheister Danny Ainge for an asset that could convey as the #1 overall pick in the 2028 NBA draft.

I don't think he's Nostradomus or anything, but give the man some credit and stop using him as a scapegoat so you (not you personally, Bassman) can recoup some imaginary pleasure for your investment in your fanhood through all the losses and imperfections.

I'm very proud to watch Kupchak's selections play ball in Charlotte many years into the future. This will be a joy unavailable to any of us in the wake of Cho's reign.

We are the new Grizzlies before Ja went fake gangster followed by injury. JJJ is their second piece.

Their roster is no more special than ours fully healthy.
It has been written...
KembaWalker
General Manager
And1: 11,298

Post#144 » by KembaWalker » Sun Feb 11, 2024 5:40 pm

Haven’t been so excited to watch this team since LaMelo first started taking off. I’m mildly hopeful they injected enough good vet/euro energy into the locker room at once to cure the cancerous locker room but we’ll see
MPM
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,720

Post#145 » by MPM » Sun Feb 11, 2024 7:43 pm

NCHeels2008 wrote:
MPM wrote:Glass half full Sunday. Micic continues to perform at a high level for us for the next couple of years while mentoring Melo, Mann proves a valuable combo guard, and Bertrans actually plays his way into staying next year as a Duncan Robinson type of 10-12 ppg bench sniper. Hayward continues to struggle with injury and never meaningfully contributes to OKC. Grant helps reset the culture in CLT while giving consistent defensive effort and 10/6 from the bench during the course of his contract, PJ remains wildy erratic, Luka declines his player option in 26/27 and we grab a solid lotto pick from DAL. I know, I know. Let me enjoy dreamy for a bit.

I want PJ to thrive, he more than paid his dues in Charlotte just for his rotation spot to be jerked around the last 2 seasons to placate a woman beater

I understand wanting to see PJ succeed, but genuinely don't understand some of the blind love for PJ the current NBA basketball player (from both hornets and mavs fans). He was/is OK. And paid his dues? He basically proved himself a reasonably athletic, streaky role player with streaky effort that's an overrated three point shooter and on-occasion defender. Would I have been happy to keep PJ as a bench role player at his price? Sure - he has his moments. But think Grant, Seth and a FRP are greater value.

And for all of Miles' awful behavior, he is a far, far more talented basketball player than PJ.
Bassman
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,556

Post#146 » by Bassman » Sun Feb 11, 2024 10:25 pm

So for me, to recap, Mitch certainly deserves some credit for where we are now. He also deserves kicks in the gonads for stupid decisions and bad trades. Ultimately the new owners will decide his future, along with Clifford.

The amazing transformation into some competent basketball is one game old. Starving people get giddy when a feast suddenly appears. We loved it and want more. I suspect we will indeed be better, but not all at once, and not as completely as we’d like. But I have some hope again. I also hope we sign Miles and the new coaching regime helps him achieve a measure of greatness. Same for Melo, Brandon, Mark and other young talents. Hope our quality new vets plus Terrence THE Mann are major impacts for this team reaching playoff success next season.
I continue to wait...and hope...for the return to Hornet's glory.
MPM
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,720

Post#147 » by MPM » Sun Feb 11, 2024 10:30 pm

Bassman wrote:So for me, to recap, Mitch certainly deserves some credit for where we are now. He also deserves kicks in the gonads for stupid decisions and bad trades. Ultimately the new owners will decide his future, along with Clifford.

The amazing transformation into some competent basketball is one game old. Starving people get giddy when a feast suddenly appears. We loved it and want more. I suspect we will indeed be better, but not all at once, and not as completely as we’d like. But I have some hope again. I also hope we sign Miles and the new coaching regime helps him achieve a measure of greatness. Same for Melo, Brandon, Mark and other young talents. Hope our quality new vets plus Terrence THE Mann are major impacts for this team reaching playoff success next season.

Amen. We'll likely all come back down to earth come monday with indy but - jeezus - it's been a slog so far this year.
amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
And1: 9,307

Post#148 » by amcoolio » Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:28 pm

At the end of the day, we are 11-41 after 5 years with Mitch Kupchak and have not made the playoffs in his tenure.

Sorry, but you gotta go.
I don't support domestic violence. Thanks Miles
LamarMatic7
Hornets Forum High-End Journalist
And1: 2,351

Post#149 » by LamarMatic7 » Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:53 am

Diop wrote:
LamarMatic7 wrote:Bertans getting a fair chunk of Brandon Miller's fourth quarter minutes is so Clifford-like. Charlotte might end up being the perfect place for Davis to hang around in the league.

I thought you might pop up after your cousin got traded here!

Davis is a pretty cool guy to have on your team, imo. Even in this 3-point heavy era his extra long bombs stand out. Moreover, he seriously hates losing and has a short fuse. Has zero problems getting in a scuffle with some **** from the opposing team.

If he will play, he could make a Walter Herrmann-like Spring run where he becomes a favorite for some of you. Hard to tell whether he still has it on defense, but he tries extra hard and is, you know, a tall human being. The World Cup proved that opponents suffer from the perception of "he's white and kind of awkward-looking, let's go up against him". Schroder kept attacking him in isolation and missed everything. Perhaps, he could still hang in the NBA as well.

Oh, and he's surprisingly blunt in press conferences and has a sharp tongue. Has been super handy for me as a journalist :)
Pokuokic
Senior
And1: 932

Post#150 » by Pokuokic » Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:19 am

MasterIchiro wrote:
Pokuokic wrote:
MasterIchiro wrote:If you like Mcic you will love Topic. Serbia is cranking out unselfish players. It's infectious just as hero ball was under Terry.

Hornets should have demanded Jovic over the 1st round draft pick in the Rozier trade he will explode once he gets away from Miami and there small ball.

Pardon me?

Was trying to say if you like Topic and Micic you would have loved Jovic (6'10 great passing PF) as well who is buried in Miami and that the Hornets should have demanded him instead of the first round pick in the Rozier for Lowry trade. Miller/Bridges/Jovic would have been a sweet fitting trio at the Forward spots (2 starters 1 off the bench).
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 17,959

Post#151 » by Diop » Mon Feb 12, 2024 12:59 pm

LamarMatic7 wrote:
Diop wrote:
LamarMatic7 wrote:Bertans getting a fair chunk of Brandon Miller's fourth quarter minutes is so Clifford-like. Charlotte might end up being the perfect place for Davis to hang around in the league.

I thought you might pop up after your cousin got traded here!

Davis is a pretty cool guy to have on your team, imo. Even in this 3-point heavy era his extra long bombs stand out. Moreover, he seriously hates losing and has a short fuse. Has zero problems getting in a scuffle with some **** from the opposing team.

If he will play, he could make a Walter Herrmann-like Spring run where he becomes a favorite for some of you. Hard to tell whether he still has it on defense, but he tries extra hard and is, you know, a tall human being. The World Cup proved that opponents suffer from the perception of "he's white and kind of awkward-looking, let's go up against him". Schroder kept attacking him in isolation and missed everything. Perhaps, he could still hang in the NBA as well.

Oh, and he's surprisingly blunt in press conferences and has a sharp tongue. Has been super handy for me as a journalist :)

That sounds perfect for charlotte, they needed a culture change and people who will get pissed with losing. Was a great deal for charlotte. Okc showed what happens with so many draft picks, some talent will get lost in the mix.
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 17,959

Post#152 » by Diop » Mon Feb 12, 2024 1:01 pm

Pokuokic wrote:
MasterIchiro wrote:
Pokuokic wrote:Hornets should have demanded Jovic over the 1st round draft pick in the Rozier trade he will explode once he gets away from Miami and there small ball.

Pardon me?

Was trying to say if you like Topic and Micic you would have loved Jovic (6'10 great passing PF) as well who is buried in Miami and that the Hornets should have demanded him instead of the first round pick in the Rozier for Lowry trade. Miller/Bridges/Jovic would have been a sweet fitting trio at the Forward spots (2 starters 1 off the bench).

Him and Williams would be good variance off the bench.

Return to Charlotte Hornets