Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

The ball has finally got rolling.
LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,519

Re: New GM/President Search Thread 

Post#2 » by LofJ » Mon Feb 12, 2024 2:13 pm

The best thing about a new GM is that it's a near certainty that they will pick their own head coach.
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 17,833

Post#3 » by Diop » Mon Feb 12, 2024 2:14 pm

Where do I submit my CV? My rec league one 1 championship in 10, still better than any Charlotte gms
SWedd523
RealGM
And1: 5,172

Post#4 » by SWedd523 » Mon Feb 12, 2024 2:17 pm

I disagree with letting him go through the trade deadline, but at least they made the decision early enough to bring in a new guy with time to drive the search for a new coach and prep for the draft and free agency. I'm even okay keeping Mitch around in an advisory role assuming it's mostly to leverage relationships with other FOs
Braggins
RealGM
And1: 8,148

Post#5 » by Braggins » Mon Feb 12, 2024 2:18 pm

For the most part I have no idea who should replace him, but I am also a hard "no" on Brand and I also don't want Travis Schlenk, who I think was previously listed as a possibility.
Braggins
RealGM
And1: 8,148

Post#6 » by Braggins » Mon Feb 12, 2024 2:20 pm

SWedd523 wrote:I disagree with letting him go through the trade deadline

I felt the same way because I didn't trust him to do what I thought the team needed to do at the deadline, but he ended up basically doing what I thought he should, so it turned out fine in the end imo.
Bassman
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,525

Post#7 » by Bassman » Mon Feb 12, 2024 2:21 pm

Yep, per Plowright the worst kept secret within league circles. His article naming 10 leading candidates is a good one. Reading those my initial favorite may be Trajan Langdon the New Orleans GM. My bet is on the two previously associated with the new owners:

1) Jeff Peterson – Brooklyn Nets Assistant GM

Current assistant GM with the Brooklyn Nets, Peterson was linked to the Hornets front office job in July of 2023. Peterson has emerged as “One of the most respected” young executives in the NBA due to his strong communication skills. Peterson is another candidate who came up through the Atlanta Hawks front office, acting as assistant GM between 2014-19 before moving to Brooklyn. Peterson crossed over with current lead Hornets owner Rick Schnall in Atlanta, it is thought they have kept in touch since Peterson moved to Schnall’s home city of New York. Sources inside the Hornets believe Peterson has already held explorative discussions with the Charlotte Hornets new owners.

5) Travis Schlenk – Washington Wizards VP of Player Personnel

Schlenk is currently VP of player personnel with the Washington Wizards, but more importantly was the president of basketball operations with the Hawks between 2017-2022. Before Atlanta, he spent 16 years in Golden State's front office. Schlenk has experience building teams around all-star point guards with defensive question marks in Steph Curry and Trae Young, something that could prove useful in Charlotte. Schlenk has ties back to owner Rick Schnall from his time in Atlanta.
I continue to wait...and hope...for the return to Hornet's glory.
LofJ
RealGM

Post#8 » by LofJ » Mon Feb 12, 2024 2:22 pm

Another great thing about this is that Buzz Peterson will likely be sidelined if not gone entirely from the organization. All of us know he was the guy that was going to take over for Mitch thanks to Jordan's nepotism. That was going to be an epic disaster, man I'm so thankful that's not going to happen.
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 43,133

Post#9 » by JDR720 » Mon Feb 12, 2024 2:27 pm

I'd take Peterson. Or maybe the Pelicans GM, but I'd wonder how that impacts the prospects of trading for or not trading for Zion. But at least he knows how to build a team around an often injured franchise player.
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#10 » by JDR720 » Mon Feb 12, 2024 2:28 pm

Also no idea why any of those current GM's would take our job over their current one.

So either the new owners are casting a very wide net or they plan on seriously investing in that position.
LofJ
RealGM

Post#11 » by LofJ » Mon Feb 12, 2024 2:34 pm

JDR720 wrote:Also no idea why any of those current GM's would take our job over their current one.

So either the new owners are casting a very wide net or they plan on seriously investing in that position.

They must be planning to pay up, that's a damn good sign.
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 17,833

Post#12 » by Diop » Mon Feb 12, 2024 2:34 pm

When I see Jeff Peterson I think of this guy

JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#13 » by JDR720 » Mon Feb 12, 2024 2:38 pm

LofJ wrote:
JDR720 wrote:Also no idea why any of those current GM's would take our job over their current one.

Yeah, hopefully. Although as we've seen with Tepper, throwing money around doesn't solve everything. And Fats with Chelsea (sorry).

But all those jobs, besides maybe the Nets, are objectively better than ours is. So they'd need a big raise or some other kind of deal to come here. Which makes me assume he Nets assistant is the favorite.
LofJ
RealGM

Post#14 » by LofJ » Mon Feb 12, 2024 2:47 pm

JDR720 wrote:
LofJ wrote:

Yeah, hopefully. Although as we've seen with Tepper, throwing money around doesn't solve everything. And Fats with Chelsea (sorry).

But all those jobs, besides maybe the Nets, are objectively better than ours is. So they'd need a big raise or some other kind of deal to come here. Which makes me assume he Nets assistant is the favorite.

Throwing money around definitely doesn't make up for bad micromanagement from the top, but going from a team with the lowest operational budget in the league to something closer to the league average should be a substantial improvement.

I agree that we're more likely to hire someone that isn't currently the top guy for another team. Going off what we've heard Jeff Peterson seems like the guy most likely to be hired. I could see Trajan Langdon taking the job as well if he wants to get out from under Griffin in NOLA and run his own team.
Rich4114
RealGM
And1: 4,174

Post#15 » by Rich4114 » Mon Feb 12, 2024 3:15 pm

I've always assumed it would be the Nets assistant GM, but I'm intrigued by the NOLA guy. I think either one of those would be a win. Although I really like the idea of plucking a front office guy from Miami.
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,656

Post#16 » by yosemiteben » Mon Feb 12, 2024 3:21 pm

Was a huge Alaskan Assassin fan when I was in middle school, so would love to land Langdon for sentimental purposes.

Don't really have anything else to add, not going to pretend like I know how to judge GM candidates.
JMAC3
General Manager
And1: 4,164

Post#17 » by JMAC3 » Mon Feb 12, 2024 3:25 pm

I think it is important to note that GM is just a title. A lot of these "GMs" mentioned aren't the decision maker.

Mike Gansey is under koby Altman
Elton Brand is under Daryl Morey
Trajan Langden is under David Griffin

So basically all these guys are really assistant GMs but just with more money and bigger titles.
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
LofJ
RealGM

Post#18 » by LofJ » Mon Feb 12, 2024 3:43 pm

yosemiteben wrote:Was a huge Alaskan Assassin fan when I was in middle school, so would love to land Langdon for sentimental purposes.

Don't really have anything else to add, not going to pretend like I know how to judge GM candidates.

This dude is saying that Langdon is the guy:

Read on Twitter
KingCat
Sixth Man
And1: 831

Post#19 » by KingCat » Mon Feb 12, 2024 4:02 pm

Would not mind Langdon at all. He appeared to help build the deepest team in the league. New Orleans tends not to get credit for that since they're worse than the sum of their parts.
Your Charlotte Hornets! We’ll eventually get something right;right?
Soul Rebel
Senior
And1: 372

Post#20 » by Soul Rebel » Mon Feb 12, 2024 4:29 pm

LofJ wrote:
yosemiteben wrote:Was a huge Alaskan Assassin fan when I was in middle school, so would love to land Langdon for sentimental purposes.

This dude is saying that Langdon is the guy:

Read on Twitter

This is great if it's Langdon.....or dog isht if it's Brand. Both are former Dukies.

I don't claim to know a ton about any of the candidates, but I'd take Peterson, Langdon or Schlenk. No to Brand at all costs.

Return to Charlotte Hornets