New GM/President Search Thread

Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

Braggins
RealGM
And1: 8,148

Re: New GM/President Search Thread 

Post#41 » by Braggins » Tue Feb 13, 2024 2:34 pm

MasterIchiro wrote:
Braggins wrote:I don't know much about Trajan Langdon but he theoretically seems like the type of candidate that could be interesting. There were a couple others mentioned I feel similarly about.

I know I don't want Brand or Schlenk, though.

Why not Schlenk?

He traded Luka Doncic for Trae Young, for starters. I thought most of the moves he made in Atlanta sucked. Not going to go back through and review all his transactions, but the Doncic trade alone is completely disqualifying.
MasterIchiro
RealGM
And1: 5,340

Post#42 » by MasterIchiro » Tue Feb 13, 2024 2:45 pm

Braggins wrote:
MasterIchiro wrote:
Braggins wrote:I don't know much about Trajan Langdon but he theoretically seems like the type of candidate that could be interesting. There were a couple others mentioned I feel similarly about.

I know I don't want Brand or Schlenk, though.

Why not Schlenk?

He traded Luka Doncic for Trae Young, for starters. I thought most of the moves he made in Atlanta sucked. Not going to go back through and review all his transactions, but the Doncic trade alone is completely disqualifying.

He did assemble the team that reached the ECF. I would consider him on that alone.

The rule change where the player on offense can't initiate contact did in Trae and this torpedoed that roster.

Shlenk did select Onyeka Okongwu over Tyrese Haliburton. So I do have some concerns with his drafting.
It has been written...
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 43,133

Post#43 » by JDR720 » Tue Feb 13, 2024 2:50 pm

The Hawks ECF team was a fluke. They've been mediocre ever since. If Melo was ever healthy, we'd be a similar level team these past few years.
Walt Cronkite
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 558

Post#44 » by Walt Cronkite » Tue Feb 13, 2024 3:40 pm

Frustrating to read that the medical issues the franchise has experienced for as long as I can remember we're indeed related to managerial incompetence instead of constant bad luck. Hopefully there is time to salvage LaMelo's ankle and Mark's back. Maybe Gordo and some others deserve a bit of slack in hindsight as well.
Rich4114
RealGM
And1: 4,174

Post#45 » by Rich4114 » Tue Feb 13, 2024 7:17 pm

I honestly do not know much at all about who would be a good GM other than those who have proven they are already good GM's (and thus, not available) but if you talk to Sixers fans they mostly all say to stay the hell away from Elton Brand. Now, Philly fans are dramatic and turn on their people at the drop of a time, so take it with a grain of salt but I'd rather just not risk it. Langdon seems like the clear best choice.
JMAC3
General Manager
And1: 4,164

Post#46 » by JMAC3 » Tue Feb 13, 2024 7:38 pm

Rich4114 wrote:I honestly do not know much at all about who would be a good GM other than those who have proven they are already good GM's (and thus, not available) but if you talk to Sixers fans they mostly all say to stay the hell away from Elton Brand. Now, Philly fans are dramatic and turn on their people at the drop of a time, so take it with a grain of salt but I'd rather just not risk it. Langdon seems like the clear best choice.

Daryl Morey is the one who is talking about trades, rumors etc for Philly. Hard to even know how to judge Brand.

I do know he was GM when they drafted Maxey, traded for Butler and Tobias.
He also signed Tobias and Simmons to long term deals, which most would say didn't work out.
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
KembaWalker
General Manager
And1: 10,747

Post#47 » by KembaWalker » Tue Feb 13, 2024 7:47 pm

Yeah it’s fun to speculate but in reality it’s impossible to judge a GM with publicly available information. These guys get overridden by owners, or presidents or whatever all the time. I’m more concerned with getting someone who can fix the scouting network, medical situation, and get the right coach than trying to judge off a handful of roster moves that did or did not work out
LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,519

Post#48 » by LofJ » Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:04 pm

Langdon played professionally in Europe for a decade for some really good teams. The Spurs also hired him as a scout when Big Fundamental was still there and they were running on all cylinders organizationally. I'm pretty confident he has a better network overseas than anyone we've ever had in our front office.

And he's got going on 5 years of experience in NOLA's front office as well. A team that was rebuilding, but finally got healthy and turned a corner (a situation that sounds familiar). If ownership didn't have an established relationship with Jeff Peterson in Brooklyn I think Langdon would be the runaway best candidate for the job.
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 43,133

Post#49 » by JDR720 » Wed Feb 14, 2024 6:29 am

Per a source, the Hornets prefer a lead executive with previous experience and the early expectation is for the organization to hire a president as well as a general manager. The Observer has also learned New Orleans Pelicans GM Trajan Langdon and Philadelphia 76ers GM Elton Brand — who are no strangers to the Carolinas — are considered the early front-runners to replace Kupchak.

Read more at: https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/charlotte-hornets/article285408022.html#storylink=cpy

So, the expectation are that we're hiring both a GM and President, in two separate roles? Interesting.
Walt Cronkite
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#50 » by Walt Cronkite » Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:12 pm

LofJ wrote:James putting in some work. That's a major tidbit, I imagine Trajan Langdon has some backing inside the organization.

Read on Twitter

Thanks for posting this, just got to catch up with it, great stuff.
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,656

Post#51 » by yosemiteben » Wed Feb 14, 2024 5:10 pm

Read on Twitter
LofJ
RealGM

Post#52 » by LofJ » Wed Feb 14, 2024 5:22 pm

The good news keeps coming, it's making me nervous.
Rich4114
RealGM
And1: 4,174

Post#53 » by Rich4114 » Wed Feb 14, 2024 6:19 pm

LofJ wrote:The good news keeps coming, it's making me nervous.

I am there with you. Philly can go ahead and keep him lol
chabber
Veteran
And1: 826

Post#54 » by chabber » Wed Feb 14, 2024 6:44 pm

I’m happy with this news. I don’t remember Brands individual moves at this point because it’s been years but I do remember that my impression of most of them was that I didn’t like them.
JMAC3
General Manager

Post#55 » by JMAC3 » Wed Feb 14, 2024 7:08 pm

chabber wrote:I’m happy with this news. I don’t remember Brands individual moves at this point because it’s been years but I do remember that my impression of most of them was that I didn’t like them.

He traded for Jimmy Butler for peanuts and also drafted Maxey 21st. Both are pretty good in hindsight.

He was never going to be able to pay Simmons, Embiid, Harris and Jimmy, so yeah he had to let one go.
Big Board
luciano-davidwesley
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,247

Post#56 » by luciano-davidwesley » Wed Feb 14, 2024 10:18 pm

JMAC3 wrote:
chabber wrote:I’m happy with this news. I don’t remember Brands individual moves at this point because it’s been years but I do remember that my impression of most of them was that I didn’t like them.

He traded for Jimmy Butler for peanuts and also drafted Maxey 21st. Both are pretty good in hindsight.

He was never going to be able to pay Simmons, Embiid, Harris and Jimmy, so yeah he had to let one go.

He definitely picked the wrong guy to let go! He had two obvious dead weights there he should have moved on first!
LofJ
RealGM

Post#57 » by LofJ » Thu Feb 15, 2024 6:07 pm

Read on Twitter
Bassman
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,525

Post#58 » by Bassman » Thu Feb 15, 2024 6:12 pm

They’ve got to get these hires right. Then the coaching decision. The new President and GM will have a lot on their plate in advance of the draft.
I continue to wait...and hope...for the return to Hornet's glory.
JMAC3
General Manager

Post#59 » by JMAC3 » Thu Feb 15, 2024 6:14 pm

LofJ wrote:
Read on Twitter

Woj literally said Trent Redden in a tweet but this SI article acts like they broke him as a candidate. Plowright is good, but I also kind of think he overplays his hand way too much with Hornets acting like he has insider knowledge for some reason.
Big Board
Walt Cronkite
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#60 » by Walt Cronkite » Thu Feb 15, 2024 6:22 pm

Bassman wrote:They’ve got to get these hires right. Then the coaching decision. The new President and GM will have a lot on their plate in advance of the draft.

Install a new medical team before someone gets a headache and trepanning them is recommended.

Return to Charlotte Hornets