ImageImage

Hornets hire Jeff Peterson as Head of Basketball Ops.

Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 43,155

Hornets hire Jeff Peterson as Head of Basketball Ops. 

Post#1 » by JDR720 » Thu Feb 29, 2024 2:34 pm

Read on Twitter

yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,659

Re: Woj: Hornets to hire Jeff Peterson as Head of Basketball Ops. 

Post#3 » by yosemiteben » Thu Feb 29, 2024 2:40 pm

I'm looking forward to his press conference.
LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,519

Post#4 » by LofJ » Thu Feb 29, 2024 2:45 pm

We were rumored to also be hiring a GM, along with a president of bball operations. I imagine Peterson will get to make that hire, it will probably be his first major decision.
Braggins
RealGM
And1: 8,148

Post#5 » by Braggins » Thu Feb 29, 2024 2:57 pm

I think when his name initially got leaked as a possibility a while back that I read up on him and thought he seemed theoretically like the type of candidate that would be interesting. Could be misremembering or confusing him with someone else, but I thought him and Langdon were the guys that seemed like the right type of candidates. I'll have to read up on him a bit again.
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#6 » by yosemiteben » Thu Feb 29, 2024 3:04 pm

Read on Twitter

I don't know the difference between Head of Basketball Operations and GM. Anyone have an idea what the distinction is there? Kupchak was our GM, correct?
Snidely FC
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,141

Post#7 » by Snidely FC » Thu Feb 29, 2024 3:04 pm

Was Assistant GM in ATL during Schnall era.

Probably increases odds that Budenholzer is next Coach given Bud was coach during Schnall-Peterson ATL era
MPM
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,710

Post#8 » by MPM » Thu Feb 29, 2024 3:06 pm

Who knows. Too bad we don't have a YouTube highlight reel of his corporate counting stats to get us irrationally excited. 27 honest conversations, 16 savvy hires . . .

I wish him the best - the Athletic article seems to paint him in a good light and the fact that the Nets tried to retain him with a promotion is a positive.
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#9 » by JDR720 » Thu Feb 29, 2024 3:07 pm

yosemiteben wrote:
Read on Twitter

I don't know the difference between Head of Basketball Operations and GM. Anyone have an idea what the distinction is there? Kupchak was our GM, correct?

I think they're the same thing, unless there are two of them. Then the GM reports to the President and they split duties someway or another.
LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,519

Post#10 » by LofJ » Thu Feb 29, 2024 3:07 pm

Snidely FC wrote:Was Assistant GM in ATL during Schnall era.

Probably increases odds that Budenholzer is next Coach given he was coach in during Schnall-Oeterson ATL era

I'm stirring the pot a little bit, but Atkinson has the exact same connection. He was in Atlanta with Budenholzer and was also in Brooklyn when Peterson was there.
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#11 » by yosemiteben » Thu Feb 29, 2024 3:10 pm

LofJ wrote:

Probably increases odds that Budenholzer is next Coach given he was coach in during Schnall-Oeterson ATL era

I'm stirring the pot a little bit, but Atkinson has the exact same connection. He was in Atlanta with Budenholzer and was also in Brooklyn when Peterson was there.

Woj's article points out that he also has a connection to another coach.

Peterson built a good professional relationship with Hornets coach Steve Clifford during their time with the Nets, where Clifford served as a coaching consultant in the 2021-22 season.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/39622836/hornets-hire-jeff-peterson-top-executive-sources-say
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#12 » by yosemiteben » Thu Feb 29, 2024 3:12 pm

JDR720 wrote:
yosemiteben wrote:
Read on Twitter

I think they're the same thing, unless there are two of them. Then the GM reports to the President and they split duties someway or another.

Good call. Found this Hornets PR release from earlier this month (https://www.nba.com/hornets/news/charlotte-hornets-to-begin-search-for-new-head-of-basketball-operations) where it says Mitch head titles of both GM and Head of Basketball Operations.
Rich4114
RealGM
And1: 4,174

Post#13 » by Rich4114 » Thu Feb 29, 2024 3:24 pm

yosemiteben wrote:
LofJ wrote:

Woj's article points out that he also has a connection to another coach.

Peterson built a good professional relationship with Hornets coach Steve Clifford during their time with the Nets, where Clifford served as a coaching consultant in the 2021-22 season.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/39622836/hornets-hire-jeff-peterson-top-executive-sources-say

Um no
lmcguir15
Ballboy
And1: 61

Post#14 » by lmcguir15 » Thu Feb 29, 2024 3:25 pm

The other shoe to potentially drop here would be a GM; they've rumored to want two guys to direct the franchise. He's pretty young though, so going all in and giving him autonomy is likely as well. Waiting to hear if another hire follows to decide how I feel.

Not sure how I feel about having multiple cooks in the kitchen.
"It's true, you can't lose what you don't put in the middle. But you can't win very much either."
vorbis
Veteran
And1: 675

Post#15 » by vorbis » Thu Feb 29, 2024 3:31 pm

he was focused on college scouting for the Nets. I would think Assistant GM to President of Basketball Ops is a big jump, but presumably he'll be hiring someone he trusts to sit in the GM chair.

I'm excited that he's as young as he is, and in the President role it's highly unlikely he'll be poached by another team. so there's plenty of opportunity for him to develop in this role and really lead the team into a new era. this is the kind of move you hope happens.

I hope he's got the chops to build a consistent playoff team with aspirations to go far once they get there. the building blocks have already started to fall into place.
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#16 » by JDR720 » Thu Feb 29, 2024 3:43 pm

If we keep Steve Clifford as coach, this gets an automatic F until proven otherwise.
Braggins
RealGM
And1: 8,148

Post#17 » by Braggins » Thu Feb 29, 2024 3:46 pm

Yeah, I will immediately 100% turn on him if he keeps Clifford.
JustBuzzin
Head Coach
And1: 5,677

Post#18 » by JustBuzzin » Thu Feb 29, 2024 4:42 pm

I don't know this guy, but I'm all for change. Hopefully he brings change.
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,629

Post#19 » by fatlever » Thu Feb 29, 2024 5:10 pm

Little bit nervous that this might be a "friend of schnall" hire instead of best possible guy. We've had enough of that last 15 years. Hope it doesn't matter.

Sent from my SM-G973U using RealGM mobile app
Bassman
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,525

Post#20 » by Bassman » Thu Feb 29, 2024 5:23 pm

fatlever wrote:Little bit nervous that this might be a "friend of schnall" hire instead of best possible guy. We've had enough of that last 15 years. Hope it doesn't matter.

Sent from my SM-G973U using RealGM mobile app

In business this is so common, and not necessarily a bad thing. When you hire a complete unknown at a very senior level, so much can go wrong so fast. When the candidates with previous association were discussed in articles, I suspected Peterson would be the favorite, but I thought as GM. Likely he was willing to move for this role, but not as GM since he’d get that if he stayed with the Nets. Schnall already has a relationship, has seen his skills and abilities, and obviously trusts him to carry forward with their vision for the team. Hopefully his GM hire is strong, and I REALLY HOPE they don’t keep Clifford as coach based on past history. Big mistake.

Maybe they’d find a place for him within the organization apart from coaching (if he would want it), but his time coaching here should be done.
I continue to wait...and hope...for the return to Hornet's glory.

Return to Charlotte Hornets